The Last of Us Page 70

• Page

of 84 First / Last

• Baihu1983 16 Jul 2013 08:54:26 3,503 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Progguitarist Never been 'mad' just sad to see a MP site so biased towards one.
    Hell they just about ignore Nintendo unless its negative.

I see XBox/PS only sites more balanced than EG.
  • King_Edward 16 Jul 2013 09:46:36 11,454 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No you don't. You just have a warped sense off balance.
  • JiveHound 16 Jul 2013 10:24:29 2,539 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:
    Very good. A lobotomised chimp could've seen the end game a mile off. In the dark. Blindfolded. However the characters were so strong and their reactions to their ordeal so note perfect it didn't matter.
    I didn't! I expected something else. Perhaps along the lines of that difficult thing you refer to. There were bits that made me think the game would go that way, but it followed a safe narrative path.

Those criticisms are quite correct, but they didn't break the immersion for me. Cover-oriented furniture did far more to remind me it's a game, and that a gaming bit will happen shortly. It's all acceptable implausibility within a game, I think.
    When I meant end game I mean Ethan's choice whether Ellie will live or die. As soon as you find out she's infected and immune you know what's ahead. The outcome itself was less predictable and it's when Marlene confronts you with the liberated Ellie in your arms that the player should have the choice to pull the trigger or relent to the greater good. I get why the choice was off the table though as the story ND wanted to tell had been woven right from the start as a tale of one man's attempt at saving something for himself.

In terms of the on screen cover furniture warning you it was game time: Never was it more evident than that first stealth tussle against two goons with Tess on the way to getting to Robert. After that dissonance I kind of accepted the fact that it is going to have to make allowances for video game mechanics. The AI companions getting under my feet was pretty much a constant bugbear. Neither ruined the game for me as it pulled me in regardless. Just that annoying fingerprint on an otherwise polished gem.

Just started Tomb Raider and it really is painful after this. The plot and script are just so damned hammy.

Edited by JiveHound at 10:28:17 16-07-2013

Edited by JiveHound at 10:28:46 16-07-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• spindle9988 16 Jul 2013 11:43:10 3,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just finished this yesterday. Wow, what a game. I only had one bug throughout which forced me to load my last save. It was the part where you take control of Ellie and you are out hunting the deer. When I shot it for the 1st time the game just let out a high distorted sound, and the deer just froze

Really is one of the best games I have ever played and although it is linear. It still allows you to explore a bit, which you could never do in uncharted
  • Kay 16 Jul 2013 17:01:39 17,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, just noticed there happens to be a sale on the Uncharted games for this week only. UC2 is 7.99, the first is 5.99 (with a slight extra discount for PS+ members). At those prices I might as well get both.

How long are we talking for each game? TLoU took me about 26hrs(!) on hard, I'm guessing the UC games aren't quite that long.

Edited by Kay at 17:03:18 16-07-2013
  • X201 16 Jul 2013 17:06:47 15,576 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kay wrote:

How long are we talking for each game? TLoU took me about 26hrs(!) on hard, I'm guessing the UC games aren't quite that long.
    About 9 or 10.
  • King_Edward 16 Jul 2013 17:21:29 11,454 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I took a liitle over 16 hours on TLOU on hard and about 10 or so on each Uncharted.
  • Kay 16 Jul 2013 17:24:21 17,920 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm usually quite slow with these sort of games, I often spend ages wondering about and just looking at stuff.

Anyway, might as well get both UC games then, and play through them in order. Time to buy some PSN credit.

Edited by Kay at 17:25:07 16-07-2013
  • DUFFMAN5 16 Jul 2013 18:10:17 14,963 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    I'm usually quite slow with these sort of games, I often spend ages wondering about and just looking at stuff.

Anyway, might as well get both UC games then, and play through them in order. Time to buy some PSN credit.
    PM for you mate :)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• PeacockDreams 16 Jul 2013 20:08:47 202 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Completed this today. 20 hrs it took me on hard. I went for a hard first play through because I thought it would complement the game and it certainly did. It wouldn't have been nearly as good if I had played on easy or medium.

Absolutely fantastic game, definitely one of the best games I have ever played. Can't wait to see what ND bring to the PS4
  • Lexmeister 17 Jul 2013 00:20:15 25 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Playing this game now (or trying to!).

How many bastard lock ups,freezes and load failures have I had with this game???

It's a buggy shambles on my PS3 ( slim with replaced hdd).

#spelling

Edited by Lexmeister at 00:21:20 17-07-2013
  • bbvDJC 17 Jul 2013 02:24:23 1,732 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Really? I had no problems with my two playthroughs!
  • dominalien 17 Jul 2013 05:49:48 7,019 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Lexmeister

Looks like there's something wrong with your PS3 there, mate.

PSN: DonOsito

• Bremenacht 17 Jul 2013 10:38:09 18,719 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23166839

:S
  • mcmothercruncher 17 Jul 2013 14:42:44 7,210 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23166839

:S
    My GOD! I hope the folks there are busily blocking stairwells and stocking up on large bins and ladders RIGHT SHITTING NOW.
  • imamazed 17 Jul 2013 14:45:21 5,784 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh CHRIST! I'm going to panic and start flinging bricks all over the place. I suggest you all do the same!
  • Lexmeister 17 Jul 2013 20:08:08 25 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dominalien

I reckon you might be right... But it plays all my other games so far. Could be overheating?
  • dominalien 17 Jul 2013 21:12:47 7,019 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Lexmeister

Maybe, it makes my PS3's fans spin like no other game ever could.

PSN: DonOsito

• King_Edward 17 Jul 2013 21:19:08 11,454 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Lexmeister

I had similar problems with it at first. Try giving the disc a good clean as it sorted the problem for me.
  • IronGiant 17 Jul 2013 21:53:01 4,590 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    @Progguitarist Never been 'mad' just sad to see a MP site so biased towards one.
    Hell they just about ignore Nintendo unless its negative.

I see XBox/PS only sites more balanced than EG.
    What on earth are you smoking..
  • Ultrasoundwave 17 Jul 2013 22:28:55 3,335 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Anyone picked up the Joel or Ellie edition of this?

Been looking around them, their like fucking gold dust!

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• waggy79 17 Jul 2013 22:34:32 1,035 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got Ellie one for fathers day, there's loads on Ebay.
  • yegon 18 Jul 2013 00:28:30 5,330 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just finished this, deffo amongst my favourite games of recent times. Felt very invested in the characters, when Joel fell off that balcony backwards onto that spike, ouch. I felt that beyond just the physical anguish, more like when a character gets grievously injured in a good tv/film and I'm worried about their welfare lol .

Didn't see the end coming either, I was convinced one of them was going to die a grizzly death. The portrayal of Joel was great, deeply flawed, arguably selfish depending on your viewpoint, but his choices were understandable.

Only beefs were the frankly crazy companion AI at times (Ellie was effectively dancing in front a clicker at one point but, as Joel was undetected, the clicker didn't flinch. There were a few trial and error bits I found annoying too, weaponless (apart from dagger) Ellie versus the guy in the plate strewn restaurant took about 5 attempts due to questionable stealth detection.

I'll be giving my PS3 a rest for a bit now, play some of my Steam purchases. Hot weather + this game has aged my slim a little judging by the noise from it's fans lately.

Edited by yegon at 00:31:58 18-07-2013
  • scoobysi 18 Jul 2013 01:00:01 904 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Anyone picked up the Joel or Ellie edition of this?

Been looking around them, their like fucking gold dust!
    Got the Joel edition on release from Tesco, still in stock but they're after 55 now. Unless you can find a bargain I'd just go for the standard release.
  • Ultrasoundwave 18 Jul 2013 09:23:49 3,335 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah I've seen both editions on eBay and Amazon, however, cheapest price their going for is 70 or 80!

If anyone's got a copy of the Joel or Ellie edition still sealed (doubtful I know!) it might be worth leaving it like that - the value seems to be skyrocketing!

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• kingnothing12 18 Jul 2013 11:21:22 571 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was having a drunken arguement on saturday. My friend's brother, hands down believed that tomb raider was and is a better looking and better game overall. He also thought the Uncharted series was pish...I couldn't look at him after that.
  • CharlieStCloud 18 Jul 2013 12:10:00 5,280 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kingnothing12 wrote:
    I was having a drunken argument on Saturday.

My friend's brother, hands down believed that Tomb Raider was and is a better looking and better game overall. He also thought the Uncharted series was pish ... I couldn't look at him after that.
    I enjoyed Tomb Raider, but The Last of Us and even the Uncharted series pees on Lara's recent adventure from a significantly great height.

... Tomb Raider certainly came out at the right time though. If it was after The Last of Us, I very much doubt the reviews would be quite as kind.
  • Lexmeister 18 Jul 2013 22:29:46 25 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @King_Edward

Now that's just spooky. I've just succesfully loaded it after cleaning previously unseen little boy finger prints off the disc, and now found your post

My son has had his mitts all over it while ejecting the disc to watch dvds.

Thought I'd give it a clean after reading about dual layer blu rays being extra sensitive.

Thanks for the heads up, dude!
  • mcmothercruncher 21 Jul 2013 12:09:36 7,210 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Would have saved us all an awful lot of trouble...
  • CaptainKerbal 21 Jul 2013 19:59:49 390 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hmm waiting for a response from PSN Support but anyone else experienced this ? Bought the game, new and factory sealed from Argos, and trying to redeem the MP code on my UK PSN account. Comes up already used ? Searched around and a it seems a not overly common, but far from unique occurence, though all most forums are saying is that people have bought a used copy, import copy, entered the code wrong etc

It's definitely not any of those, the code is unambiguous with nothing that could be a 1 or an I etc, it just doesnt work! Annoying...... Argos wont do anything as they say the problem is with Sony as the game works fine.
  • Page

of 84 First / Last