The Last of Us Page 69

• Page

of 84 First / Last

• RobAnybody 11 Jul 2013 23:13:13 943 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Depending on your gunfighting skills I'd say you should be done within an hour or two.
  • Folant 11 Jul 2013 23:36:59 1,527 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    But you could skip most firefighting and be done within an hour. Depends how you go about the next area.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• Derblington 12 Jul 2013 00:21:56 22,129 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    @Derblington
    Played through on 1.0, patched after the bulk of the trophies popped.
    I'm fairly sure the patch helped some of the collectible trophies so if you got them without it you might need to do a lot/all of them again.

I finished my survivor playthrough yesterday and took all the collectibles. Just survivor+ left now, and I chose not to cheat it specifically to avoid this kind of thing (plus its worth playing).
  • mcmothercruncher 12 Jul 2013 09:37:56 7,563 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's worth playing again certainly, and I've found going back on Easy to mop up some of the collectibles really good fun- there's so much stuff thrown at you it becomes an enjoyable bomb/flame fest. If Survivor is "empty draw mode" then Easy ought to be called "wavy hands mode" with all of the flapping he does picking things up ;)

Cheat is a bit sanctimonious though, don't you think? I've played through on Normal in an everything-must-die mode and through on Survivor + in complete stealth now, I've just missed Survivor, frankly because, although I'd like to do nowt but play through The Last of Us multiple times and in multiple styles, life doesn't allow that much spare time. To each his own.
  • robc84 12 Jul 2013 09:58:44 6,008 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think once completed, I'll leave it a couple of weeks and then go for a normal NG+ play through. I'm not too worried about trophies and normal has been plenty hard enough for me!

I'm actually looking forward to playing through again and trying out some different tactics. I've been very cautious in this game and not tried many different things. Should be fun to experiment!

It will be a shame when it is over though as I don't think any other games will be able to hold my attention now!
  • Baihu1983 15 Jul 2013 10:47:06 3,579 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    5th week at no.1 and seems to have helped the PS3 a lot which was the No.1 selling console in the UK in June.
  • CharlieStCloud 15 Jul 2013 10:50:02 5,395 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    5th week at no.1 and seems to have helped the PS3 a lot which was the No.1 selling console in the UK in June.
    ... best news in a long time.

I was one of those by the way, buying my first ever PlayStation for The Last of Us!
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Jul 2013 10:51:51 17,295 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Amazing that a single game can shift that many consoles. Not that people are wrong to pick one up and there are a bunch of exclusives that are well worth the time so it does make sense. Still, it seems a bit odd.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Baihu1983 15 Jul 2013 10:56:10 3,579 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Its funny seeing people trying to spin the 3M+ sales news from last week saying most of those numbers are simply shipped.
  • dsmx 15 Jul 2013 11:01:04 7,692 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A game so good it sells systems? That sounds familiar.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• PeacockDreams 15 Jul 2013 12:22:24 202 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The game is universally praised, it feels like the old days when people were falling over themselves to get a N64 just for Zelda.

You can't say the same for a 360, there's absolutely nothing on the horizon for it that would make somebody buy it now, so late in its life.
  • mcmothercruncher 15 Jul 2013 14:28:16 7,563 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do NOT let morriss hear you say that, his petulant-o-meter will go off the scale.
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Jul 2013 14:34:48 15,237 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The best news re sales is it shows that we want mature games with serious themes...in third person perspective, not 1st person all the time ;-) I'm all for silly fun and have Saints 4 on pre order for that very reason, but I do enjoy playing something that has a bit more deapth.

I assume and can only hope other developers take note. Beyond two souls will hopefully continue the trend.
    It is do deserved by ND.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• bobdebob 15 Jul 2013 14:40:01 596 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PeacockDreams wrote:
    The game is universally praised, it feels like the old days when people were falling over themselves to get a N64 just for Zelda.

You can't say the same for a 360, there's absolutely nothing on the horizon for it that would make somebody buy it now, so late in its life.
    Don't really remember that happening, there was only a handful of us at school that had N64s, the rest had PSXs and some sold their N64s for PSXs.

Course, we were kids so we didn't have the option of owning both.

Getting both TLOU and Uncharted Trilogy, they'd better live up to the hype.

Edited by bobdebob at 14:43:18 15-07-2013
  • HarryPalmer 15 Jul 2013 14:51:22 3,560 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You won't be disappointed with TLOU. Although the uncharted trilogy will seem extremely dated in comparison.
  • Rhaegyr 15 Jul 2013 15:43:48 2,670 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Only the third Uncharted was disappointing for me - the first two were good and the second especially great.
  • dominalien 15 Jul 2013 15:47:28 7,039 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    You won't be disappointed with TLOU. Although the uncharted trilogy will seem extremely dated in comparison.
    Everything is dated compared to TLoU, or so I'm told.

PSN: DonOsito

• imamazed 15 Jul 2013 15:48:37 5,903 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeh they're still bloody good fun, and compelling. Some of the gunplay gets very frustrating at times though.
  • mcmothercruncher 15 Jul 2013 16:34:40 7,563 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Only the third Uncharted was disappointing for me - the first two were good and the second especially great.
    That was my take on it too, really disliked number 3, but platinum's 1 and 2.

Perhaps it didn't have enough of that willy-up-your-bum factor?
  • Baihu1983 15 Jul 2013 16:38:19 3,579 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Surprised EG aren't jumping all over the PS3 outselling the 360 for a month in the UK.

Maybe they injured themselves dancing?
  • Kay 15 Jul 2013 16:41:23 17,955 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm planning on picking up Uncharted 2 before maybe going back for NG+/Survivor on this. I'm expecting it to be a lot breezier and shallower, which will be fine by me.
  • Baihu1983 15 Jul 2013 16:42:33 3,579 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    UC2 was solid apart from the last 2 hours or so IMO. Always sounded like the game was about to make my PS3 explode.
  • Progguitarist 15 Jul 2013 16:50:03 10,509 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Baihu1983 Are you still mad at how biased EG are?
  • JYM60 15 Jul 2013 16:50:23 16,881 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I actually think I preferred Uncharted 2 over TLoU. Both brilliant obviously.

Still enjoyed UC3, especially the young Nate story, but it was far from close to beating the second.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• robc84 15 Jul 2013 16:51:48 6,008 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Thats exactly my take on the series. U2 is in my top 5 games this gen (along with tlou of course!). U3 was good but I felt I wasnt actually playing the game most of the time.
  • JiveHound 15 Jul 2013 17:43:23 2,673 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just finished.

Very good. A lobotomised chimp could've seen the end game a mile off. In the dark. Blindfolded. However the characters were so strong and their reactions to their ordeal so note perfect it didn't matter.

The infected being mushroom men added just that little twist too, they never overplayed their card with them instead concentrating mainly on man's crime to man when the end has come.

Everything was well handled, all the mechanics worked and the pacing was generally exquisite. The game felt like the perfect length.

Two things hold it back from a perfect ten for me. Firstly the AI is little more than adequate often stumbling into that of dim-witted. With everything else being so polished the fact that the enemies and companion AI are actually pretty thick proves to be a massive disconnect. In infected areas where clickers are everywhere and silence is paramount my buddies would dart around the area, getting in my way and generally making a din. The game doesn't punish me for the obvious eccentricities of my fucktard friends but it does pull you out of the game. Surely some decent pathfinding could have been implemented?

Also, I would liked to have had some input on the story. It's an affecting plot with great charactisation to boot but a little bit of direction on the part of the player would have led to even more emotional investment. The events make sense but I myself would have done things different in the end and it would have been nice to actually do the difficult thing for once.

All in all a fantastic achievement thus representing a leap in terms of video game narrative and a massive technical accomplishment in the last throes of the current gen.

Joel and Ellie will be sure to stay with me.

Edited by JiveHound at 17:47:14 15-07-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Kay 15 Jul 2013 18:03:12 17,955 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Firstly the AI is little more than adequate often stumbling into that of dim-witted. With everything else being so polished the fact that the enemies and companion AI are actually pretty thick proves to be a massive disconnect. In infected areas where clickers are everywhere and silence is paramount my buddies would dart around the area, getting in my way and generally making a din. The game doesn't punish me for the obvious eccentricities of my fucktard friends but it does pull you out of the game. Surely some decent pathfinding could have been implemented?
    This was a big bugbear of mine too. Joel and Ellie are fine for the most part, but the illusion was broken slightly when Bill was running around in heavy boots and making a racket during a clicker section. And it was completely shattered later when Ellie sat right in front of a hunter that was searching the area for us. At that point I realised that the stealth only applies for the character you're controlling, and not your AI partner(s).

Completely understandable from a gameplay perspective of course, every game has its foibles, but it just ruins the immersion and carefully-crafted world within the game - it would have been nice if they had a better way around the issue.

Just listened to Ellie and Oli's spoilercast, they seem to echo my thoughts about the game, acknowledging its minor flaws, whilst also discussing just how well-realised the characters are for the most part. The part about dialing things back especially rings true.

Edited by Kay at 18:03:53 15-07-2013
  • Bremenacht 16 Jul 2013 00:54:51 19,443 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Very good. A lobotomised chimp could've seen the end game a mile off. In the dark. Blindfolded. However the characters were so strong and their reactions to their ordeal so note perfect it didn't matter.
    I didn't! I expected something else. Perhaps along the lines of that difficult thing you refer to. There were bits that made me think the game would go that way, but it followed a safe narrative path.

Those criticisms are quite correct, but they didn't break the immersion for me. Cover-oriented furniture did far more to remind me it's a game, and that a gaming bit will happen shortly. It's all acceptable implausibility within a game, I think.
  • robc84 16 Jul 2013 08:49:25 6,008 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Personally, I did not see the ending coming. I was sure either Joel or Ellie (or both) would die.

Re the AI companions, it was a bit silly at times, with them just running out into the open and being ignored, but I'd rather that than my carefully planned stealth attack be ruined by an idiot AI companion. Not sure how else they could have done it really.
  • Page

of 84 First / Last