The Last of Us Page 64

• Page

of 84 First / Last

• Trafford 28 Jun 2013 17:39:58 5,791 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Winter eh? Fucking hell!
    I know, played the first couple of sections of it last night.
    Shaking my head about going on.

Hotline Miami tonight for some light relief.
  • mcmothercruncher 28 Jun 2013 19:21:10 7,079 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm playing through again on Survivor and, while I may come to eat these words very shortly, I'm enjoying it a lot. While there was a lot of tension derived from needing to sneak through areas and conserve ammo etc, well, even more so now. Not having the listen mode bumps the realism a bit and keeps things difficult despite knowing roughly what's coming up.
    I reserve the right to completely change my mind when I'm surrounded by clickers :p
  • mcmothercruncher 29 Jun 2013 09:24:17 7,079 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At Bill's Town, damn the supplies are tight on Survivor! It's forcing me to up my game on areas I just brute forced through on "normal".
  • Folant 29 Jun 2013 09:27:43 1,181 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just wait until you get to the sewers[/spoilers], that was a lot of fun.

Posted from my Nexus 4, not using Tapatalk 4.

• ecureuil 29 Jun 2013 10:24:09 76,814 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any tips for survivor mode? I just started, it's really hard. My awareness is awful without listen mode.
  • X201 29 Jun 2013 10:35:08 15,484 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Any tips for survivor mode? I just started, it's really hard. My awareness is awful without listen mode.
    Go back a page or two and try the Survivor plus trick. (Start Survivor+ with weapons left over from previous game, get Survivor trophy at same time.)

You'll need to load your old 100% complete save game in order to start a new Survivor+ game, then follow the instructions.
  • ecureuil 29 Jun 2013 10:38:31 76,814 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've actually done that, but I don't think it helps all that much. I bought all three upgrades to listen mode on my first playthrough..

Edited by ecureuil at 10:38:49 29-06-2013
  • JCHilton 29 Jun 2013 11:06:44 1,470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Stealth is important obviously, best to avoid encounters altogether, though you can still kill every enemy on survivor; and effectively, with the limited resources if you have the swagger.

Conserve ammo (last resort)- when you do use guns go for headshots- even with pistols you can effectively "snipe" with them.

Bricks and bottles can be thrown at an enemy to stun from a distance, giving you an opening, they can also be used as a melee weapon when you don't have one of those gorgeous sticks.

Search corners of the map for supplements, resources and weapons parts to upgrade yourself and equipment. Open all those safes! (If you meet a rare moment and find surplus resources build something using them, so then you can go on to pick up the resources AND have an extra tool in your next encounter).

Weapon Upgrades: Mainly stick to upgrading the power and damage of weapons, reloading and clip size become less important when you're using weapons sparingly. I personally preferred to use the bow (Stealth weapon and with headshots has a chance moment you can salvage your arrow from the corpse, and the powerful hunting rifle),

Supplement usage tip: Upgrading your health also restores your health completely (I played survivor afresh not on NG+, so effectively with 3 health upgrades you have 3 extra health kits you can use in the absolute trickiest situations).

Upgrade Joel to sway less with firearms! Don't upgrade shiv master until survivor NG+ at least (without the NG glitch that is). It's a waste of door-opening shivs.

Shiv doors: You should strive to open these, even on the survivor, they have valuable resources contained within. It's made more difficult with limited resources, but if you're playing it smarter, you won't have a need for shivs or upgraded melee weapons anyhow.

Training manuals: Collect all these for useful upgrades to Joel.

Health kits: Use these sparingly, get used to entering encounters with half health or even lower and expecting not to lose any of it. Though there are energy bars and tins of food that give health back strawn about the map, they're rarer. If you know their placement throughout the game, you can use them to your advantage, rather than "waste" a health kit.

Misc: Melee weapons, (especially metal pipes) and upgrading your holsters are important pickups. Cat and mouse/ guerrilla tactics work well in this game (enemies work off line of sight), so groups can be dealt with by attacking (Headshots!) hiding, re-situating, and scoring another kill until they're thinned out.

If you get the first hit in with a melee weapon, you should be able to kill them without getting hit back. Also remember you can grab hurt/ stunned enemies by pressing triangle [Then finishing them off with square] (So you can save those precious melee weapon hits.)

From the top of my head. :)
  • ecureuil 29 Jun 2013 12:07:27 76,814 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great stuff, thanks!
  • JCHilton 29 Jun 2013 12:51:14 1,470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Remembered another tip that might not be so obvious too: When you grab a human enemy from stealth (And have the option to shiv or choke out) you have around 5 seconds in which you can move/ re-position yourself so that their body fails to alert any other wanderers (When you then either shiv or strangle them). It's a similar mechanic to Far Cry 3's body hiding mechanism; it's fair to say I used this tactic a bunch in the bigger encounters.

And no probs, it's a harsh world out there! We need all the help we can get ;)
  • JiveHound 29 Jun 2013 16:28:35 2,443 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Strange question but do you need 'up' on the dpad as it's borked on my controller.

I can't progress past the first ten minutes on Uncharted 3 for the same reason.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• ecureuil 29 Jun 2013 16:30:47 76,814 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, the dpad is integral to gameplay. Up selects the medkit as well as a couple of other items, the game would be unplayable without it.
  • JiveHound 29 Jun 2013 16:33:59 2,443 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Balls. Okay, thanks. I only bought the console from Game a couple of months ago too. Lost the receipt.

Toying with the idea of going in anyway and chancing it. Would my reward card count as proof of purchase?

• Folant 29 Jun 2013 18:11:59 1,181 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well, that sorta sucks.

Went through Survivor using the cheat the system to make it think it's New Game Plus thing, and throughout the game I kept checking to see if I had listen mode just in case(I never had it) and only got trophies for NG+ Easy and Normal.

Fuck that noise...

• captainrentboy 29 Jun 2013 18:22:42 993 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Balls. Okay, thanks. I only bought the console from Game a couple of months ago too. Lost the receipt.

Toying with the idea of going in anyway and chancing it. Would my reward card count as proof of purchase?
    Take your game card in, ask them to retrieve your console purchase details from the store help desk, they'll give them your loyalty card number and it'll all be sorted! As it's just the pad they should just give you another one there and then.
  • ecureuil 29 Jun 2013 18:30:26 76,814 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Folant wrote:
    Well, that sorta sucks.

Went through Survivor using the cheat the system to make it think it's New Game Plus thing, and throughout the game I kept checking to see if I had listen mode just in case(I never had it) and only got trophies for NG+ Easy and Normal.

Fuck that noise...
    Has it credited you with completing Survivor in the stats menu? I don't care about trophies but I do want all the unlocks and stuff.
  • Folant 29 Jun 2013 18:38:48 1,181 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ecureuil Nope, not even there. Only for up to Normal +.

Pretty funny really. Did the whole playthrough offline with no patch, so it couldn't have been that to close the loophole.

Oh well, guess I get to play it again, twice.
    If my heart can take it.
    Lol

• JiveHound 29 Jun 2013 18:50:28 2,443 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well I went in and head office was closed so no dice.

However, I dropped the thing getting out of the car when I got home and now 'up' works.

So now I want to download this, how big is it and how do I find out how much space I have left on my hdd?

• mcmothercruncher 29 Jun 2013 19:43:38 7,079 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Folant wrote:
    Well, that sorta sucks.

Fuck that noise...
    Has it credited you with completing Survivor in the stats menu? I don't care about trophies but I do want all the unlocks and stuff.
    Pissing piss. That is really disappointing. I don't mind playing through on Survivor +, in fact im really enjoying it, but, damn, I'd like to get the credit for it at the end.
    Shit, I don't know whether to start all over again now...
  • ecureuil 29 Jun 2013 20:11:56 76,814 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Guess it's time to abandon my survivor playthrough then.

As much as I love the intro, it takes a couple of hours before you're in the game proper and I'm not sure I can be bothered. Already sat through the opening three times in the past week.
  • X201 29 Jun 2013 20:23:22 15,484 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher

Was that with any ptches installed?

/ in same boat
  • Folant 29 Jun 2013 20:28:24 1,181 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nah, playing offline with no patches installed.

Gonna leave it a while before doing it again and let my brother borrow it for a while.

Might not have the trophy, or any reward to show for my efforts, but I don't care. I did it on Survivor and survived. It's like the PS2 all over again. :-D

• X201 29 Jun 2013 20:35:24 15,484 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :-(

/ ponders maths....

(Hard)+(Survivor)+(Survivor+)= Best part of 60 hours
  • ecureuil 29 Jun 2013 20:40:54 76,814 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You don't need to finish Hard to unlock Survivor do you?
  • mcmothercruncher 29 Jun 2013 20:43:32 7,079 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's Folant, not me matey. I'm about a quarter of the way through, supposedly, survivor +.
    Fwiw I removed the patch to get the glitches s+ play through. On it, I've got all of my upgrades and no listen mode, but am getting the collectibles again. That is how it should be, but still, it's a long hard road to the end.
    I think I'll do it anyway and, if it doesn't pop, just have enjoyed it for a second time and not bother platinum'ing it.
  • X201 29 Jun 2013 20:44:03 15,484 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Think so, all the Uncharted games worked that way.
  • Folant 29 Jun 2013 20:46:37 1,181 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I had Survivor available after beating Normal.

• mcmothercruncher 29 Jun 2013 20:50:34 7,079 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is it worth playing the Prologue again on survivor Folant, in case, somehow during the glitch the game considered it as an easy or normal chapter save?
  • Folant 29 Jun 2013 20:56:31 1,181 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dunno.

You mean on NG or NG+?

Did select NG+ again from the menu and had only the option of Easy and Normal.

Doesn't finish it, just sorta chilled in her room for a couple of minutes to see if they'd pop.

Gonna try NG on Survivor now to check that out and see what happens.

Edit
    I see what you mean. Like the game has tagged ch2 to finish on Survivor but ch1 still on normal. Good thinking Batman. Trying now.

Edit
    Nope, still no pops.

Oh well.

Just realised, on the chapter select screen, selecting a chapter displays a "Completed on XXX"
    X being difficulty. Might be worth replaying the prologue either way if you've tried the NG+ trick. See if that makes a difference before you finish the last bit.

Edited by Folant at 21:00:10 29-06-2013

Edited by Folant at 21:20:02 29-06-2013

Edited by Folant at 21:43:41 29-06-2013

• X201 29 Jun 2013 21:47:56 15,484 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Folant wrote:

Just realised, on the chapter select screen, selecting a chapter displays a "Completed on XXX"
    X being difficulty. Might be worth replaying the prologue either way if you've tried the NG+ trick. See if that makes a difference before you finish the last bit.

Was just going to suggest that. I remember someone having a problem with Uncharted 3 trophy, then they realised they'd dropped the difficulty on one chapter to get through it. They went back with chapter select, completed the chapter on Crushing and got the trophy.
  • Page

of 84 First / Last