The Last of Us Page 57

• Page

of 82 First / Last

• ecureuil 23 Jun 2013 00:04:13 76,024 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    All other things aside, I know many people don't like the gunplay in Naughty Dog's games, but I absolutely love many of those slow, tactical, and yet pretty chaotic shootouts. They feel so much more "real" (or maybe just film-like) than in most shooters, and not as artificially "gamey" as in most cover-based shooters. They could base a whole game around these mechanics, as far as I am concerned.
    My main issue with the gunplay in Uncharted was that it was.. finicky? I guess. Lining up headshots is hard, and not in a challenging kind of way, but more of a controls issue. The pacing of TLOU is perfect for this kind of gunplay, it's very enjoyable and weighty.

Edited by ecureuil at 00:04:38 23-06-2013
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Jun 2013 08:16:27 13,814 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Playing through NG+ on easy...so I can get the killing over and have a good look around and soak up the gorgeous atmosphere once again. Already hearing a couple of things I missed on my first run through, and a door I needed to shiv to open for lovely goodies.
    Re this talk of fire fights, one area that does make me laugh is when a goon comes directly to the other side of any given box I might be crouching behind, to continue our shootout...rather like Police Squad,Frank Drebbin.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• mcmothercruncher 23 Jun 2013 09:33:45 5,731 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Great point neems, characters commenting on his OCD collecting and Joel grumpily replying that "we've got to keep our strength up" or similar would have helped offset the moments when you step out of the story arc. It is a minor point for me, but in a way, the closer a game brings you to a natural real-life feel, the more the tiny little niggles that jar at your suspension of disbelief need to be smoothed out.
  • PrivateFloyd 23 Jun 2013 09:54:21 4,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So without spoiling it for me can anyone answer this question regarding where I am in % wise in the game.

Not long been in Pittsburgh trying to get to the bridge.. Been there around an hour if that.

Seriously don't want it to end. Riveting stuff. Doing about 2 hours per night.

Goat is hungry.....

• Syrette 23 Jun 2013 09:57:59 41,874 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @PrivateFloyd

You can find out for yourself by looking at your latest saves' information.

I think that level is about 45-50% through the game, it's chapter 5 of 11.

• Mr_Sleep 23 Jun 2013 10:56:00 16,266 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aye, a long way to go yet. In a good way.

Regarding the shooting, I agree with Lou, it's just about right, I was only frustrated by it when I had my neck ripped off for the umpteenth time by a clicker.

You are a factory of sadness.

• X201 23 Jun 2013 11:51:03 14,698 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished it \o/

Bloody brilliant. Brilliant game and story.

I agree with the points that make it a great game that everyone has pointed out, but I think there is one more as well, its the fact that there are no 'stick out like a sore thumb' boss battles. There are set pieces, but nothing that is an obvious block, like the one at the end of Uncharted 2. This game was all the better for not having the big climactic set piece battle. I really hope Naughty Dog use this method for Uncharted 4.
  • DUFFMAN5 23 Jun 2013 11:56:36 13,814 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I want the Last of Us 2 on PS4 before Uncharted 4.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Syrette 23 Jun 2013 12:08:06 41,874 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd rather see Uncharted 4, just to see what they can do with the new tech. Given it's got more scope for epic visuals and set-pieces than The Last of Us does.

As for The Last of Us 2, I reckon you'll play the entire game as Ellie, with Joel dying quite early on. It'll be set maybe a decade or so later, when Ellie is in her early 20s..

• PrivateFloyd 23 Jun 2013 12:09:54 4,007 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Syrette

Ah cheers bud.

That is great news though, obviously I have been taking my time!

I am dreading the post TLoU blues!!

Goat is hungry.....

• shamblemonkee 23 Jun 2013 12:10:15 14,040 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really hope that they don't do a sequel.
  • Syrette 23 Jun 2013 12:15:23 41,874 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @shamblemonkee

I sort of agree, but on the other hand surely you can trust ND to do a sequel in the right way? If that makes sense.

• Mark1412 23 Jun 2013 12:16:44 500 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I wouldn't mind them leaving it alone at all, but if anyone deserves a shot at a sequel it's Naughty Dog.

Edited by Mark1412 at 12:18:53 23-06-2013

• CharlieStCloud 23 Jun 2013 12:22:02 4,683 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @shamblemonkee

Ditto.

Just leave it alone please. A sequel could slightly spoil the one-off-ness of The Last of Us, even though we are talking about a ridiculously brilliant developer, Naughty Dog.

If anything, we should be thinking and talking about the single player DLC that is coming out!
  • StixxUK 23 Jun 2013 12:23:30 7,173 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Probably being really dim but where do I find the completion percentage?
  • CharlieStCloud 23 Jun 2013 12:28:09 4,683 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Probably being really dim but where do I find the completion percentage?
    Instead of 'continuing' the game, choose the 'load game' tab on the menu and you'll see your progression so to speak ... although it has already been explained that the whole percentage thingummy is not quite an accurate indication of just how far into the story you truly are.

To be fair, I am not overly sure why folks wish to know how far into this game they are.

Saviour it.
  • StaffyDog 23 Jun 2013 12:32:47 253 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Playing through this superb game again on new game+ and this time with my maxed out upgrades the combat is much more enjoyable. Cant get over the graphics, who needs next gen. Naughty Dog certainly dont!
  • StixxUK 23 Jun 2013 12:39:37 7,173 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmmm 86%, seems like a couple more hours should do it. Need to get the headphones on for the finale I think!
  • mcmothercruncher 23 Jun 2013 13:05:21 5,731 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh man, that exit sequence after Joel gets spiked at the university is stunning. Fave bit of the game so far. Ellie gets to show you how much she's learned, the grit she's developed by surviving with you and you feel Joel very reluctancy have to hand the balance of power over. Wow.
  • Penguinzoot 23 Jun 2013 13:23:25 477 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:

I am dreading the post TLoU blues!!
    I think I'm suffering from that. I finished the game on Friday night. I've got loads of other stuff I could play, but just can't get motivated enough to play them.

Quick question, what exactly is New Game+? How does it differ from simply starting a new game?
  • FuzzyDuck 23 Jun 2013 13:26:50 3,546 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is it just me or has anyone else thought that the title of the game is a deliberate reference to where things are with the PS3?

I know Beyond and GT6 aren't out yet, but still! :D
  • ecureuil 23 Jun 2013 13:27:55 76,024 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Penguinzoot You carry your gun and Joel upgrades to the new game. You still don't get the guns until you find them in the game, but they'll be upgraded to the point you left them on the first playthrough.

Edited by ecureuil at 13:28:16 23-06-2013
  • Penguinzoot 23 Jun 2013 13:31:05 477 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ecureuil Ah right, thanks. Worth doing then if you want to play it through again ... like I probably will be doing! :)
  • DanMW 23 Jun 2013 14:53:20 808 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hope there is a sequel at some point, I really enjoyed this game, I hope also that if there is the combat will be more diverse, I'd like to be able to set different kind of traps and maybe use the environment in some way , probably the combat possibilities were limited by the hardware more than anything, (for me it was most of the time, throw brick/bottle to distract enemy, sneak behind to kill them, or throw brick/bottle to gather a bunch of them then set them all on fire with molotov) I'm still amazed they were able to this game on current gen, it looks incredible.
  • Rhaegyr 23 Jun 2013 15:33:58 1,114 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can only play this game at night - it feels like I'm doing it an injustice if I play whilst the sun's shining.

Contrary to my earlier statements, the game has really started to hook me in now. The area with all the clickers was extremely tense - died a fair few times until I realised they were blind. The environments are really something special too and the flashlight is fantastic - really impressive.

Just got to Joel and Ellie alone now in the Capitol Building - looking forward to playing some more tonight!
  • mcmothercruncher 23 Jun 2013 16:02:40 5,731 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, it needs night time or a darkened room.

I miss being able to take the phone off of the hook ;)
  • Syrette 23 Jun 2013 16:06:35 41,874 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It does?

I mean most of the game itself is set during the day, not the night, after all.

• OnlyMe 23 Jun 2013 16:34:12 3,104 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think it's best played during rain (or at least clouded).
  • mcmothercruncher 23 Jun 2013 16:53:10 5,731 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It does for us, you know, because we just said so.

It's ok though, don't panic- we're not making it mandatory.
  • OnlyMe 23 Jun 2013 17:19:56 3,104 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bright daylight screws up the contrast on the TV anyway. Makes it difficult to see what's happening, especially in a dark room (in the game).
  • Page

of 82 First / Last