The Last of Us Page 56

• Page

of 84 First / Last

• robc84 22 Jun 2013 09:19:46 5,429 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    robc84 wrote:
    @Triggerhappytel I'm at same bit as you. Think its pittsburgh. Really like the game but am struggling with shooting at times esp with infected. Usually as soon as I'm spotted I'm dead! Usually a bit of creative thinking with some bombs or molotovs gets me through! Those runners are seriously hard to stealth kill in my experience!
    Make sure to upgrade the weapon sway skill, it really improved my shooting. Don't forget about being able to throw bricks/bottles to stun things, that's also very useful sometimes. Although I always panicked and seemed unable to use the d-pad at the appropriate moment!
    The d pad thing sounds very familiar! I just panic and cant hit anything. The worst is when you have a mixture of clickers and runners. I think I need to upgrade to extra holsters and save up for weapon sway 2.
  • MrWonderstuff 22 Jun 2013 09:31:20 1,925 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    About five hours into this. Very pretty it is in a bleak sort of way coupled a very bleak story. I think the biggest immersion breaker for me is when the enemy saunter passed Ellie without reaction. Other than that a gripping game.
  • Mr_Sleep 22 Jun 2013 09:46:17 16,920 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    The d pad thing sounds very familiar! I just panic and cant hit anything. The worst is when you have a mixture of clickers and runners. I think I need to upgrade to extra holsters and save up for weapon sway 2.
    I was amused to find out in the stats that I barely used quite a few things because of blind panic. Extra holsters are useful. I never quite got to weapon sway 2 but I suspect that'll help even more. I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned that you can turn on auto-aim too, so that might be an option.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Trafford 22 Jun 2013 10:04:09 5,714 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Love the short cut to crafting from the quick inventory
  • ecureuil 22 Jun 2013 10:34:33 76,644 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Weapon sway 2 completely eliminates the sway, but I find the first level of it to be sufficient.
  • robc84 22 Jun 2013 10:36:15 5,429 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Isn't auto aim kind of cheating though? Think I'll stick with it. I just dont know it is possible to take out 5 or 6 infected all running at you at same time. Although shotgun certainly helps and you dont need to worry so much about aim!
  • FuzzyDuck 22 Jun 2013 10:43:34 3,989 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also have the post-TLoU blues!

Started a NG+ playthrough of Arkham City last night and kept dying because I instinctively held down L2 to sprint out of dangerous situations!
  • Mr_Sleep 22 Jun 2013 10:49:00 16,920 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I restarted it on NG+ last night as I just couldn't be arsed with anything else. I'm guessing I'm going to see things I didn't see before and foreshadowing, I already spotted little things I hadn't noticed. So it wont be a completely wrong thing to do.

• SFD 22 Jun 2013 11:01:41 490 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've also had to restart on new game+

Anyone know of a good online guide for all of the collectibles?
  • Mark1412 22 Jun 2013 11:39:42 519 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've gone for a Survival play. Made it to 89%. It's tough, ammo is very rare and I do a celebratory lap of the neighbourhood everytime I find half a pair of scissors ( I've shivved one enemy!) On the plus side I'm a dab hand with the bow now. Think I'll do NG+ next and then tackle the post-blues.

• RobAnybody 22 Jun 2013 12:56:38 890 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Even though it's not flawless, The Last Of Us pisses all over The Walking Dead and Bioshock Infinite in every way possible, especially the immersion, story and writing.

Just an observation that I wanted to make. :)
  • X201 22 Jun 2013 14:24:27 15,223 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SFD wrote:

I've used IGN guides for numerous games, they're the best that I've found.
  • SolidSCB 22 Jun 2013 14:33:28 6,504 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    SFD wrote:

I've used IGN guides for numerous games, they're the best that I've found.
    Don't bother. The collectibles are massively glitched. I somehow have 145/141 and some of the trophies are still missing.
  • alexm 22 Jun 2013 14:49:37 250 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @RobAnybody Correct, but then again I thought the actual game bits of Bioshock were appalling and would argue (tin hat on) that Tomb Raider/Deus Ex:HR/Arkham City and countless other titles were far far better GAMES.

Anyway, the gameplay in The Last of Us really feels like the pinnacle of all the cool bits of third-person action game design this generation. From one playthrough on normal I had so many moments where I was down to 1% health and spent 10minutes planning how to kill the remaining two/three enemies without dying - just brilliant tension.

What does everyone want to see from Naughty Dog next? Personally I want an Uncharted prequel with Drake's dad or granddad, as I'd love to see what the studio would do with a period anytime between the 20s and 50s...it would also make sense given the Uncharted films are a kind of a homage to the early era of adventure films. I also can't see a future Uncharted game having such a ridiculous final game killcount as 3 must have done.
  • Stranded87 22 Jun 2013 15:40:09 882 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RobAnybody Nah not remotely. It's certainly very good and in some ways tops them (I'd actually argue it's the gameplay that really trumps either of them since The Walking Dead's gameplay is minimal and the gameplay in Bioshock Infinite actually often gets in the way of the story rather than helping it), but they're both great too- particularly in terms of story and writing, so it's a long way from pissing all over them.
  • mcmothercruncher 22 Jun 2013 17:04:09 6,670 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I do wish we could get past, or find some other way to cater for, the supplies issue in games. Much as it looks ridiculous to still see groups of bad guys handily clustering around explosive barrels, I find hunting around for items a mechanism that takes away from the enjoyment, rather than adding to it.

Time and time again during this game- as in so many others- I'm in jeopardy, supposedly desperate and facing overwhelming odds and, instead of running for my life, I'm tarting around looking for fucking pendants or wondering if there's anything on the floor in the corner of that stairwell.
  • Syrette 22 Jun 2013 17:07:04 43,231 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RobAnybody wrote:
    Even though it's not flawless, The Last Of Us pisses all over The Walking Dead and Bioshock Infinite in every way possible, especially the immersion, story and writing.

Just an observation that I wanted to make. :)
    Disagree to an extent, and don't really see why such an observation was needed.

They're all great games, in different ways (if you ask me). All three are up there in my all time favorite game list.

• Syrette 22 Jun 2013 17:09:23 43,231 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    I do wish we could get past, or find some other way to cater for, the supplies issue in games. Much as it looks ridiculous to still see groups of bad guys handily clustering around explosive barrels, I find hunting around for items a mechanism that takes away from the enjoyment, rather than adding to it.

Time and time again during this game- as in so many others- I'm in jeopardy, supposedly desperate and facing overwhelming odds and, instead of running for my life, I'm tarting around looking for fucking pendants or wondering if there's anything on the floor in the corner of that stairwell.
    Surely you can get by without pendants/supplies? It's your prerogative.

The urge to search is always strong I found, but a few times I just made a run for it (if the game would let me - sometimes you can't progress without killing certain foes etc).

• Triggerhappytel 22 Jun 2013 19:04:52 2,695 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher
    Surely that's entirely down to the difficulty you play on? If you play on Hard of course resources will be limited, so you'll need to scavenge where possible.
  • mcmothercruncher 22 Jun 2013 19:16:38 6,670 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What about if I want to collect stuff and also enjoy the story?
    In every game I can remember the former gets in the way, sooner or later, of being submerged in the latter.
  • ltbobby 22 Jun 2013 19:28:51 303 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I cant play any games anymore! Ive just finished The Last of Us and everything else seems crap now! Even Far Cry 3 which i loved before seems irrelevant now!
  • mcmothercruncher 22 Jun 2013 20:55:14 6,670 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wowser, just got past the sniper and watched the cutscenes. What excellent, mature storytelling. It just gets better and better.
  • greenmekon 22 Jun 2013 20:58:07 167 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished tlou, outstanding and incredible....
  • Triggerhappytel 22 Jun 2013 21:02:43 2,695 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    What about if I want to collect stuff and also enjoy the story?
    In every game I can remember the former gets in the way, sooner or later, of being submerged in the latter.
    Then it sounds like you would prefer all collectibles were exactly in your path so can't be missed; hence removing any need whatsoever to actually explore? Is there any point in collectibles if they're placed in your lap with no effort or involvement?!

I actually love searching the environments, and I love searching drawers and cupboards because it's a cheap but effective stab of disappointment when they're empty, but there's always a minute pang of satisfaction when you do find something useful.

Edited by Triggerhappytel at 21:05:18 22-06-2013
  • Mark1412 22 Jun 2013 21:36:07 519 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd normally agree with mothercruncher but I thought Naughty Dog did a good job of putting collectibles only in places where the story didn't suffer as a result. The exception was, perhaps, the final level. I was so desperate/busy sprinting through and murdering everyone without thought, could have done without the handful of collectibles there.

Finished it again earlier. Favourite game of the generation by a great distance. I love how justified the violence is - so rare in games.

• mcmothercruncher 22 Jun 2013 21:43:58 6,670 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not a lot if it involved no effort, but that's not what I'm saying.

The game, like just about any other game this generation since trophies/achievements have been added actively requires you to search for extra stuff.
    For most games that is a- cheap feeling- way of padding out playing time.
    For TLoU, it is integral to the story, and I like the searching aspect because it fits the setting. In fact, I'll bet my first play through is longer than just about anyone else's!
    But, even when it's so well integrated as it is here, it really jars with the story and gameplay for me, for the reasons already stated. I'm sort of programmed to search for stuff- some that fits like the supplies and which I can't ignore as you suggest Syrette because I'll run out of bullets/meds etc, and some that is superfluous like the pendents and comics. That requirement is ticking away in my mind while I'm supposed to be engaging with the story.
    Both when being asked to run under fire, or to get away from a barred door with the zombie hordes pounding away, something that in real life would be terrifying, I'm instead switching the bloody torch on and glancing around nonchalantly looking for tins of peaches. Similarly, when I know I ought to be playing along and following certain characters to advance the story, I'm swanning off and opening draws and it can feel a little stilted.

It's a suspension of disbelief that has been annoying for just about every game I've played this generation, mostly I couldn't give a shit about it because the story is barely there, but it grates especially badly here because of the how stellar this is.
  • neems 22 Jun 2013 22:46:50 1,201 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You know I was going to disagree with you at first, but I think you have a point actually. It doesn't bother me in general play - even in combat, I don't mind grabbing something if it's close by - but the problem for me was when you had a character waiting for you to advance the story.

The way I made up for it in my head would be something that could have been put into the game quite easily though. All you need are a few lines of dialogue, and maybe a few animations.

Ellie waiting at a door while you go off scrounging? You hear Ellie shout "C'mon Joel! Human race to save!" to which Joel replies

"Hold your horses girl... a moment now could save our lives later!" Or whatever. You wouldn't need it all the time, you just need to establish the idea that the other characters know what you're doing and why. Most of the time Ellie could just hum that little tune.

If you're sneaking past clickers and you stop to gather, she could hiss at you, or gesture furiously. You get out the other side and its "What the fuck were you playing at?"

I suppose the more polished and sophisticated these games get, the more jarring the little things become.
  • Mr_Sleep 22 Jun 2013 22:57:43 16,920 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm fairly sure they do make reference now and again to the scavenging.

• Max_Powers 22 Jun 2013 23:05:46 1,097 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TLOU really is amazing. Other than BioShock Infinite earlier this year where I enjoyed the story and atmosphere massively more than the actual gameplay, in TLOU it is so much more a cohesive whole.

One of my all time favorite games.

Edited by Max_Powers at 23:08:35 22-06-2013
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Jun 2013 23:13:55 35,488 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All other things aside, I know many people don't like the gunplay in Naughty Dog's games, but I absolutely love many of those slow, tactical, and yet pretty chaotic shootouts. They feel so much more "real" (or maybe just film-like) than in most shooters, and not as artificially "gamey" as in most cover-based shooters. They could base a whole game around these mechanics, as far as I am concerned.
  • Page

of 84 First / Last