Football Manager Handheld 2012 (iPhone/iTouch/iPad) Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• marc_si 2 Jan 2012 17:46:43 313 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I'll give the actual DMC position a go too. Do you play a diamond the marc, with one in AMC too?
    At the moment in my present save I'm playing a 4-4-2 Attacking (high wingers) with a flat middle, but thats mainly because I have two awesome wingers who are set as Inside Forwards and tear up the opposition something rotten ....

With a DMC I either generally play a standard 4-1-3-2 or a custom 4-4-2 with one of the MC's dropped back .. but as with most things thats a personal preference and probably largely down to the style of player I sign as much as anything (my current 4-4-2 is very much 'not' me really - I generally excel at grinding out 1-0 victories ... but at the moment I'm enjoying being flamboyant for a change ;) ).
  • Tomo 2 Jan 2012 18:29:57 13,945 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hehe. That's interesting. Nice to hear that it's even possible to grind out 1-0s as a tactic.

I've always been a Kevin Keegan manager, where I'll score as many goals as possible, which is probably why I'm struggling so much to defend anything.
  • Deleted user 17 January 2012 20:10:59
    I was sacked from Southampton, the main criticism being the wage bill, which was greater than the budget from the outset, lol. Not much I could have done about that.

The text commentary still confuses me - quite often I've seen 'But he won't get there' and a goal flashes up. There's no build-up play or indication who took the shot, you only find that out when the score updates.

Also, on the results screen I tend to click on the score of interesting games, to see who scored. Only about 50% of the time does it show me a summary of the outcome. The other times it does nothing.

Some general comments on strategy - I really get no feedback from the assistant coach at all, other than reports on players and 3 target signings. I've really no idea whether the training, formation, tactics I use is effective or not.

Is it preferable to stick with one formation and strategy for an entire match or change it at different moments during the match? Does changing it alter what's happening?

Also, if I have a ML who is weak in the winger position, is it possible to make them improve by playing them in that position? Training doesn't seem to allow me to specify the attacking/winger position.

EDIT

Just found this, as I did a quick search and found there is an official forum:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/246281-iPhone-Touch-Donkey-Fly-s-Attacking-4-4-2

I hadn't really considered player roles before. Are they important and how do you ascertain what role a player is suited to, is it based on their attribute ratings?

Edited by byakuya83 at 20:28:34 17-01-2012
  • Deleted user 18 January 2012 14:37:54
    @THFourteen I thought you could choose the menu icon bottom-right and gain access to the team/player mentioned, does this not show the match result? I have to agree, I used to do the same when scouting, especially some of the more weird and wonderful cup competitions.
  • THFourteen 18 Jan 2012 15:51:25 33,823 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @byakuya83 You might be right, the result might be there, but you can't see the the player stats page - who made the assists, who got over 8.00avr etc, which i always used to like.

also i think the result sometimes disappears by the time you read the news article.
  • marc_si 18 Jan 2012 22:25:11 313 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hadn't really considered player roles before. Are they important and how do you ascertain what role a player is suited to, is it based on their attribute ratings?
    If you view the player 'Position' page on their profile (click on the player then swipe left or right until you get to that page or use the button right 'link' button to jump to it) then at the top left of the page it'll show you the players 'preferred' role and also the role your coach suggests to the player ... these are useful guidelines, but obviously you might have a different role in mind for whomever it is.
  • marc_si 18 Jan 2012 22:26:51 313 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some general comments on strategy - I really get no feedback from the assistant coach at all, other than reports on players and 3 target signings. I've really no idea whether the training, formation, tactics I use is effective or not.
    I'll look at adding a little more feedback/reassurance into the game generally in a future version - as it stands the assistant speaks up most if you mess things up, overload training too much and he'll warn you about players being in risk of getting injured etc. ...

Also, on the results screen I tend to click on the score of interesting games, to see who scored. Only about 50% of the time does it show me a summary of the outcome. The other times it does nothing.
    The game only stores 'archives' for the current time/days fixtures and human matches - so if you click outside of that windows of storage then I'm afraid there won't be any information to display - this is to keep the save game size as small as possible.

Edited by marc_si at 22:28:40 18-01-2012
  • Deleted user 19 January 2012 09:39:08
    Thank you! I will check player roles now that I know.

I'm having far more success now having adjusted a few things. I must be running things well and that would explain the lack of feedback from the assistant - I hadn't considered that.

Looking at the official site it would seem many users are requesting additional features and it concerns me that the game will become bloated if they're implemented - I really don't enjoy the full PC version because it has too many things to consider, and the handheld version strikes the right balance for me.

The only changes I would like to see is an improvement in text commentary and under the training screen, an option to return to default settings - I've messed with the training intensity and don't know what it was originally!

Marc, regarding the results; I am in the BSP and after I finish a game it provides results from that day's Premier League matches and sometimes I can view the details and other times I can't - I must be misunderstanding what you have written as my ability to view the results is 50/50.

I will check tonight but it might be that the results are from a different day to the match I just finished, which might explain the inability to view the results in more detail.

Edited by byakuya83 at 12:27:04 19-01-2012
  • Deleted user 19 January 2012 14:24:21
    Does look a good team. Do you delve into the player roles?

I'm currently manager of Gateshead and looking to get into the BSP play-offs. Strangely my most valuable player (15k) is one of the worst, which my assistant thinks is not good enough to succeed! Hopefully by 2014 I can afford a half decent player to strengthen the squad. At present I made one signing and he's announced his retirement at the end of the season, lol.
  • marc_si 23 Jan 2012 21:06:39 313 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    byakuya83 wrote:At present I made one signing and he's announced his retirement at the end of the season, lol.
    One of the more obscure features in the game might be useful to you btw - if you look on a players profile where it indicates he's playing to retire .... click on the retirement message and a dialog will appear asking if you want to ask the player to reconsider retirement.

They won't always be open it it ... but will often postpone the retirement for a season.
  • Deleted user 23 January 2012 21:50:28
    I will give it a try as the board have expressed their approval of the signing, he's been a valuable player. Since changing things up a bit and taking preferred role into consideration I've had more success. I won a game 10-2 against an out of form team (bottom of BSP).

When you transfer list a player will your staff actively market him for sale? It seems difficult to gain interest in a player that's listed. I know that's probably realistic but sometimes real life doesn't make for a great game!
  • marc_si 25 Jan 2012 21:59:49 313 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just so you chaps are aware the second update for the game is now out - details on its contents can be found at:

Update 2 details

More updates will be developed in the future - details of the (in progress) third update can be found on the sigames.com forums in the FMH bug area.
  • lucky_jim 2 Feb 2012 16:34:18 5,326 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This currently seems to be down to 2.99.
  • Grump 2 Feb 2012 17:31:27 1,180 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    This currently seems to be down to 2.99.
    Just what I've been waiting for.

Bought!
  • alfiefalltrick 7 Mar 2012 16:22:06 2 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    it will not update
    from jan deadline day on my iphone
  • alfiefalltrick 7 Mar 2012 16:22:49 2 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    :evil:
  • marc_si 10 Mar 2012 15:08:17 313 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    alfiefalltrick - the transfer update for the iOS version isn't out yet (just the PC one); its in QA and will (all being well) go to Apple for their QA in the next week or so ... its coming and includes various other fixes and improvements as well as the transfer update.
  • Doodlleus 17 Mar 2012 14:01:35 1 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hi Marc. Just got me a new iPad and first thing I did was download fm. It's awesome from what I've played so far but one thing is confusing me. Is there any way to compare two players' stats side by side like you can in the full version. At the moment I have to go in to one players profile, remember some numbers then go in to another players and compare. Just a bit cumbersome. There may be the ability to do it but I can't find where. Other than that, amazing game and keep up the good work.
  • marc_si 20 Mar 2012 22:38:52 313 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Glad to hear you're enjoying the game :D

I'm afraid there isn't a player comparison feature in the game at this time, once I figure out a nice friendly UI approach to one though one will pop-up in due course.

PS - The update containing the january transfer data and in-match dynamic tactic editing is in submission with Apple and will (all being well) be available in the very near future ...
  • marc_si 26 Mar 2012 19:48:53 313 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just to keep people up to date - a new update for the game will be available this evening.

This will include the January database update and various other tweaks and improvements as shown below:

#3.3 - Update 3
    Fix Scottish loan rules
    Show player names on 2d retina pitch more often
    Rotating incremental save game
    Drag and Drop tactics in match
    Stop Man Utd players getting excited and asking for new contracts after winning Charity Shield
    Tweaking of match simulation
    Text Improvements
    January Transfer Database integrated into the game (you get to select to use that or start of season when you begin a game)
  • THFourteen 26 Mar 2012 19:51:16 33,823 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    marc_si wrote:
    Stop Man Utd players getting excited and asking for new contracts after winning Charity Shield
    Lol!
  • Popzeus 26 Mar 2012 19:51:16 8,361 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi Marc, sorry to go off-topic but while you're here... any plans for a Vita version next year?

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• marc_si 26 Mar 2012 23:27:21 313 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:... any plans for a Vita version next year?
    At present I'm afraid there are no announced plans to support the Vita, I am quite intrigued by the console though and am considering purchasing one for my own use ...

If we do decide to undertake a Vita version of the game in the future obviously I'll post and let everyone know.
  • Popzeus 27 Mar 2012 07:56:06 8,361 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers for the reply! I have the PSP version on mine at the moment, will have to make do with that.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• lucky_jim 6 Apr 2012 14:12:38 5,326 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @marc_si
    I started a new game recently (wanted a new game with updated squads), and am in the annoying position of having Mauricio Taricco complaining to the media about not getting enough games and handing in a transfer request. This is ten games into the season, my Brighton side is first, a point ahead of Palace (/spit), so it'd be hasty, rash and out of character even if he was just a player. The fact he's also my assistant makes it more puzzling.

There must be something wrong there, surely? Apart from Palace being second, I mean. ;)
  • marc_si 6 Apr 2012 16:50:42 313 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll take a look at Taricco's mental stats - I think its probably because he was fairly ambitious earlier in his career and obviously is known for being somewhat errr spirited at times, these would combine to give that behaviour HOWEVER ...

The game should realise he's at the tail end of his career and bear that in mind more, definitely something to look at.

(especially annoying as I'm a Brighton fan myself - I have to admit I tend to play him myself when I manage them, I turned 40 last year myself so love the fact he's still active at 39 ... see there is a chance I could still make it as a professional footballer ... ;) )
  • lucky_jim 6 Apr 2012 22:50:19 5,326 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    When you think of some of the players we've put out- Frank Stapleton, Jimmy Case, Kish, and of course Dave Beasant spring to mind- I'm sure you're much too young for Brighton. Maybe if you work hard for a few years.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last