Football Manager Handheld 2012 (iPhone/iTouch/iPad) Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Deleted user 20 December 2011 11:06:49
    I don't know how important form and morale are but I've no idea how to affect them. There are a few pieces of information that you feel helpless to do anything about. I'm probably missing something but if that's true there seems little point in providing the info.

I'm on a 2nd gen iPod Touch and this runs very quickly. I only use the text engine though - which does have some weird quirks! Often someone will receive a yellow card but you've no idea why because there was no build-up to it, no reason given. Also, the inconsistent use of apostrophes annoys me - you only need one! Adding more just looks stupid and doesn't add any additional emphasis!!!
  • Zizoo 20 Dec 2011 11:38:37 8,374 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Calm your loins.
  • marc_si 21 Dec 2011 13:31:12 313 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Only feedback I've got is...please release a demo.
    Thats not my call I'm afraid - just a humble developer me, there wasn't a demo released for last years version though so I don't think its certain that one will be released for this years.

If you want to 'dip a toe' then last years version is available at a cheaper price in the iTunes store ...
  • marc_si 21 Dec 2011 13:35:44 313 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    byakuya83 wrote:
    I don't know how important form and morale are but I've no idea how to affect them. There are a few pieces of information that you feel helpless to do anything about. I'm probably missing something but if that's true there seems little point in providing the info.
    With regards to morale this is affected by many things - the various 'happiness' messages you see in news and on the player profiles (ie. wants a new contract, is homesick etc.) and obviously by on-pitch activities and how you treat him as a manager.

If the team is struggling then I would suggest you consider bringing a motivational speak into your training sessions to help the team with their morale generally (ie. in training there is a 'motivation' aspect - ramp that up) ... ideally if you do this drop one of the other training aspects a notch or you might find some of your less patient/more feeble players start moaning about training (for a comparison imagine your boss/teacher says that he's holding you in for an extra half an hour a day to improve your morale ... might not work for everyones morale regardless of how good the talk is, some people have other things to do ;) ).

I'm on a 2nd gen iPod Touch and this runs very quickly. I only use the text engine though - which does have some weird quirks! Often someone will receive a yellow card but you've no idea why because there was no build-up to it, no reason given. Also, the inconsistent use of apostrophes annoys me - you only need one! Adding more just looks stupid and doesn't add any additional emphasis!!!
    The apostophes is just an emphasis thing entirely ... I like it I'm afraid!!!!

(more seriously if anyone else dislikes it let me know and I'll remove it - but its in been in for ages without anyone mentioning it before)

With regards to the 'quirks' I'm continually trying to iron out any oddities in the match engine and improve situations where build up is missing from commentary etc. ... its not quite 'perfect' yet, probably will never be ... but I'm trying to get it there ;)
  • marc_si 21 Dec 2011 13:39:45 313 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Venatio wrote:Match balance tweaks
    Does this mean my awesome tactic won't work anymore?
    I can't say I'm afraid (as I'm not aware what tactic you're using) - I don't think anything will have changed dramatically with regards to individual tactics, the tweaks were to do with some teams going too heavily defensive against others (esp. larger clubs) leading to them placing 11 players behind the ball continually during a match.

However that being said perhaps the tactic was intended to unlock just such a situation in which case you might find things have changed somewhat.

Basically sorry but while I don't think it'll affect you overly, I can't promise that and rest assured that the changes do improve the gameplay and simulation ...

Edited by marc_si at 13:40:20 21-12-2011
  • marc_si 21 Dec 2011 13:42:38 313 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elephantjuice wrote:
    Been thinking about upgrading to an iphone after xmas. If I do this will be an immediate purchase for me. I Loved CM back in the day but never really got to grips with FM.
    Let me know what you think when/if you get it - one of my large intents with the game was to give the same kind of feeling to people that we had in the old games when play was a bit faster and somewhat less daunting in complexity ....
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 21 Dec 2011 13:43:48 4,627 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's ok, it'll be a good thing if it does as it'll force my lazy arse to create my own tactic. :)

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• spindle9988 21 Dec 2011 14:11:43 3,589 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loving this on the iphone. Reminds me of the good old CM2 days
  • elephantjuice 21 Dec 2011 14:38:15 665 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    marc_si wrote:
    elephantjuice wrote:
    Been thinking about upgrading to an iphone after xmas. If I do this will be an immediate purchase for me. I Loved CM back in the day but never really got to grips with FM.
    Let me know what you think when/if you get it - one of my large intents with the game was to give the same kind of feeling to people that we had in the old games when play was a bit faster and somewhat less daunting in complexity ....
    Phone's on order so should be able to get my hands on it within the next few weeks. Will let you know my impressions when I've put some time in.

I have to say, it's very refreshing to see a developer liaising with the community like this. In my experience it rarely happens but it's great to see!
  • SuperCoolEskimo 21 Dec 2011 14:41:55 9,822 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got this on iPhone as I was hoping it would be similar to CM 01/02 in terms of depth, but it gets nowhere close I'm afraid. There is no option for with ball/without ball positioning and no individual player instructions, and the overall options are just very basic.

It's not a bad game but for 6/7 it is well over-priced for what you get.
  • spindle9988 21 Dec 2011 14:46:48 3,589 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Got this on iPhone as I was hoping it would be similar to CM 01/02 in terms of depth, but it gets nowhere close I'm afraid. There is no option for with ball/without ball positioning and no individual player instructions, and the overall options are just very basic.

It's not a bad game but for 6/7 it is well over-priced for what you get.

Fair comments but dont forget the 01/02 was when CM started to get really stat heavy. For most of us the iphone version feels like playing CM2 which in my opinion was the best in the series.
  • Tomo 21 Dec 2011 14:59:34 13,910 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Over-priced for 6 or 7?! Are you mental?! I probably played last year's for a couple of hundred hours. No wonder the games industry is shit scared of iOS games if people think 7 is too expensive for something this fully featured. Moon on a stick...

Anyway. I've had no problems so far marc. Seem to be a few welcome little improvements from last year's version. I'm yet to be even half way through a season yet, but I'll post if anything crops up.
  • marc_si 21 Dec 2011 15:19:26 313 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    By and large I think the game is at least as in depth as 01-02, however to address the two items you indicated:

The With/Without ball screen was dropped out from CM/FM and I didn't put it back into FMH because (1) most users seemed to thing it was unrealistic and understood the concept of players positioned by 'role' better, (2) it'd be 'fiddly' on a touchscreen.

The individual player instructions seemed a bit 'heavy' for a touch screen game - lots of things to set all at once, the same ideals can be achieved by selecting the individual roles for players in the vast majority of cases (tactics - player roles), these allow you to configure each player to how you want him to play without having lots of clicks to do so (click on the 'i' on the Role array bar to get a description of what each role actually 'means' if you're not familiar with any).
  • marc_si 21 Dec 2011 15:31:34 313 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomo wrote:Anyway. I've had no problems so far marc. Seem to be a few welcome little improvements from last year's version. I'm yet to be even half way through a season yet, but I'll post if anything crops up.
    Cool - thanks, all feedback is much appreciated.

Work on a second update to the game is underway and I expect it'll be released at some point in January (partially because the iOS store is closed to submissions for a period over xmas so we can't do one before then realistically), any feedback given now will likely result in tweaks to be included in that ....
  • CableNut 21 Dec 2011 23:53:00 268 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will this ever come to android im not going to buy a iphone or pad just to play this one game
    Its a shame if it dont...
  • marc_si 22 Dec 2011 14:04:00 313 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    CableNut wrote:
    Will this ever come to android im not going to buy a iphone or pad just to play this one game
    Its a shame if it dont...
    I really want to bring the game to Android at some point - however its somewhat problematic for a number of reasons (1) Time, the handheld team is rather 'compact' in nature and our first aim will always be to make the best game possible on our current platforms, (2) Android is incredibly fragmented in terms of both devices and OS version capabilities, (3) Android development is Java by default with an incomplete NDK bridge to C++ (which is what FMH is written in) ....

As such at some point in the future yes I hope we will be able to support Android devices, however there isn't a fixed date for this to occur, sorry.
  • frugtkompot 22 Dec 2011 15:18:49 2,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What about Windows Phone, Marc?
    Is that equally difficult?
  • marc_si 22 Dec 2011 16:42:25 313 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    frugtkompot wrote:
    What about Windows Phone, Marc?
    Is that equally difficult?
    Unfortunately NO ... its basically near impossible to port FMH to Windows mobile at present.

The current generation of Windows Phone only supports C# development there is NO facility to utilise C/C++ on that platform, not enough commonality between the code syntax to realistically automatically port the product onto that language codebase.

As such its not likely that porting 300,000 lines of C++ to C# is going to happen for what is presently a 'niche' mobile platform I'm afraid.

(sorry that probably wasn't what you wanted to hear)

The brighter side is that its rumoured that Microsoft will be opening up 'native development' (ie. non C# development) for the next iteration of its mobile operating system ... when that arrives we'll obviously look at things again, I LOVE the microsoft development tools (I use Visual C++ even for much of my iOS development because its awesome imho) ... so would be more than happy to support their Mobile devices, if they're just let me ;)
  • Deleted user 27 December 2011 23:43:05
    I'm still only in my first season but the text commentary is very unusual. You don't have to play for long to discover it.

'The referee brandishes a yellow card!'

For what reason; who was booked?
  • THFourteen 29 Dec 2011 11:45:35 33,415 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi Marc

Am sure that this has been asked before, but one of the features that i really miss is the ability to click through to match reports from "news" items

So i've just seen a news item that says "USA have lifted the Gold Cup in a tight match vs etc etc"

What would be nice is if i could click from that page itself through to the match report, and then see not only the goals, but also the player ratings and stats for that match

Understand that its a handheld version and we can't expect it to store every single round of stats, but perhaps storing the stats for the last round of games in every competition?

This was one of my favourite methods of scouting in the original CM2 / 96/97 games that i used to play "ooh that player had 3 assists in that game, lets check him out"
  • Tomo 29 Dec 2011 15:00:51 13,910 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok marc, my first issues so far.

First one is small: I play with text and my team's stats on display. Unfortunately, the page is formatted so the 11th player and his stats are half concealed by the commentary bar. It's not a huge problem, just mildly annoying, and wasn't a problem in 2011.

My other one is - and I've had it across versions tbh - how the hell do I get results when I'm away?! I've literally won about 9/10 games at home and lost about 8 or 9/10 away. In away games, what usually happens is my opponents score 1 or 2, I go on the attack, get level and then they switch to attacking and score again. I've tried playing Defensively including having men behind the ball, but I just seem to lose 1 or 2-0 then. Sigh. Tips?
  • frugtkompot 29 Dec 2011 15:13:06 2,819 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Individual settings for players? Or maybe rotate another defensive mid into team.
  • marc_si 31 Dec 2011 03:23:22 313 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    First one is small: I play with text and my team's stats on display. Unfortunately, the page is formatted so the 11th player and his stats are half concealed by the commentary bar. It's not a huge problem, just mildly annoying, and wasn't a problem in 2011.
    This escaped through QA and is only the case on the HD skin, it'll be rectified in the next update - apologies for that, if its really annoying disabling the HD skin will fix the issue.

My other one is - and I've had it across versions tbh - how the hell do I get results when I'm away?! I've literally won about 9/10 games at home and lost about 8 or 9/10 away. In away games, what usually happens is my opponents score 1 or 2, I go on the attack, get level and then they switch to attacking and score again. I've tried playing Defensively including having men behind the ball, but I just seem to lose 1 or 2-0 then. Sigh. Tips?
    Its hard to give 'generic' advice about the game without knowledge of your team, I tend to play a 4-4-2 and don't heavily customise home or away ... but then I play a balanced style of tactic with at least one heavily combative midfielder.

If you're struggling away from home perhaps counter attacking and playing with a DMC in your side might help? ... its one of my favourite styles, fast players up front and spring on the break, nothing like beating a side when they're dominating possession because their sluggish central defenders can't keep pace with your strikers on the break ....
  • marc_si 31 Dec 2011 03:25:02 313 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Am sure that this has been asked before, but one of the features that i really miss is the ability to click through to match reports from "news" items
    So i've just seen a news item that says "USA have lifted the Gold Cup in a tight match vs etc etc"
    What would be nice is if i could click from that page itself through to the match report, and then see not only the goals, but also the player ratings and stats for that match
    I'll see what I can do in a future version - but at present those matches aren't archived away (you can however click on the current days results when they're shown on a fixtures page and see an overview of the matches).
  • Tomo 31 Dec 2011 12:19:33 13,910 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    marc_si wrote:

Its hard to give 'generic' advice about the game without knowledge of your team, I tend to play a 4-4-2 and don't heavily customise home or away ... but then I play a balanced style of tactic with at least one heavily combative midfielder.

If you're struggling away from home perhaps counter attacking and playing with a DMC in your side might help? ... its one of my favourite styles, fast players up front and spring on the break, nothing like beating a side when they're dominating possession because their sluggish central defenders can't keep pace with your strikers on the break ....
    Hmm. I'm Wycombe: I play 4-4-2 mostly as well. With a ball-winning midfielder in there and the other one as more of a playmaker. I've tried a bit of counter attack/defensive but with little luck so far. I occasionally go for Long Ball too as I've got an ok-ish target man.

Is there much benefit sticking a DMC in the actual DMC position over putting him in one of the central positions of a standard 4-4-2?
  • marc_si 31 Dec 2011 18:37:13 313 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmm. I'm Wycombe: I play 4-4-2 mostly as well. With a ball-winning midfielder in there and the other one as more of a playmaker. I've tried a bit of counter attack/defensive but with little luck so far. I occasionally go for Long Ball too as I've got an ok-ish target man.
    How suited is the ball winning midfielder to actually challenging - ie. does he have high tackling and positioning? ...

Is there much benefit sticking a DMC in the actual DMC position over putting him in one of the central positions of a standard 4-4-2?
    I like the actual DMC position myself - they act more as a shield in front of the defense that way, thats most important if the opposition has roving midfielder pushing up ...
  • Tomo 31 Dec 2011 18:55:24 13,910 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have 3 actually, with fairly similar stats. They all have reasonably high tackling and positions (for league 1!).

I'll give the actual DMC position a go too. Do you play a diamond the marc, with one in AMC too?
  • Page

of 4 First / Last