Football Manager Handheld 2012 (iPhone/iTouch/iPad)

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • marc_si 7 Dec 2011 15:31:12 313 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi,

Football Manager 2012 on iOS will be available tonight - there's an announcement on our forums and EuroGamer about it, but if anyone has specific questions I'll try and help answer them.

Hope this helps,

Marc
  • THFourteen 7 Dec 2011 15:34:57 32,879 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice!

Just in time for the xmas slowdown at work :)

Is there a feature list?
  • Dougs 7 Dec 2011 15:36:12 66,717 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Android! Harumph
  • Kay 7 Dec 2011 15:52:35 17,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Excellent, been waiting for this. Will the game get a free transfer update after January, though?
  • THFourteen 7 Dec 2011 16:04:16 32,879 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i _think_ you can upload text based transfer files like you could in the psp version.

thats a guess tho

why, are you wanting to get rid of arshavin and van persie from your arsenal save :)
  • Kay 7 Dec 2011 16:05:37 17,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just in case we buy Gotze in January, wouldn't want to miss out on FMH! :)
  • marc_si 7 Dec 2011 16:07:20 313 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there a feature list?
    I've been asked not to spill 'everything' straight away - but the stuff which has been announced so far is:

* Welsh League added
    * Conference North/South playable in England
    * New Challenge mode (canned starting positions for a game with challenging positions for you to take over in mid-season, can you retain your job?)
    * Star Players (top 3 players in non-human controlled teams are highlighted making it easier to judge opposition sides quickly)
    * Optional HD retina skin for people who requested it
    * Facebook integration (similar to how twitter worked last year)
    * AppleTV support

Theres a fair bit more stuff which will come out in due course as well as hundreds of little tweaks ...
  • marc_si 7 Dec 2011 16:08:40 313 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Excellent, been waiting for this. Will the game get a free transfer update after January, though?
    Yes I expect to be doing a data update in January for the game same as with last years version -that is you'll be able to select which database to utilise at game startup (ie. decide whether you want to start a game using the 'start of season' database or the 'january deadline' one).
  • Zizoo 12 Dec 2011 13:20:29 8,115 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So I just picked this up, and since it's my first football management sim, I'm a bit overwhelmed. :)

Could someone please tell me how I'm meant to tell which players are the highest rated besides looking at each individual players stats for each position? Is there a way to compare players, or an overall rating? I can't see one. I'm managing Forest and although I know a bit about them, the default starting lineup is different to that of Fifa 12's, so I'm not sure if I have the best possible starting 11, since in Fifa I went according to their overall stat.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • marc_si 12 Dec 2011 14:26:38 313 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ZizouFC as a 'start point' use a players valuation as a guide to their usefulness - its far from perfect but will help a little, also while finding your feet I heartily recommend using your assistant to help you as much as possible - the 'Action' menu on the club squad page will contain a 'pick team' option, let him help you and then mess around a little if he leaves out a favourite player or whatever.

After a few matches if a player seems to be under performing look at other players who can play in his position and see if there is one you think might be able to do a better job etc.

Tactically I'd suggest keeping it relatively simple initially for similar reasons - a straight forward 4-4-2 with default settings, then customise it slowly as you find your feet - if a change works then keep it, if the wheels come off then go back to what you had before etc.

Hope this helps,

Marc
    PS - Unlike some other games there often isn't a 'best' lineup - some players might do better than others depending on circumstances and the roles you decide to place them in, for instance Giggs is an incredibly talented midfielder - but put him in a role where he's expected to go in hard and break up attacks and he'll be rubbish etc.
    As I said initially take it 'easy' and let your assistant guide you while you find your feet ... then branch out.
  • binky Moderator 12 Dec 2011 14:34:38 9,455 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, just the thread I've been looking for.
    @Marc_si I have last years version, and whilst I like it a lot I felt a bit restricted with the tactics. Is it now possible to drag players into a new position which will then created a 4411 into a 442 for instance?

Edited by binky at 15:30:26 12-12-2011
  • Zizoo 12 Dec 2011 15:51:20 8,115 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks Marc!:)
  • Zomoniac 12 Dec 2011 16:24:26 7,804 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played it a bit now, and love it. Not played it since the first FMH, and it's leagues ahead. My only complaint is that, whilst in the main tactics window you can drag your players around to your heart's content, once in game you can't create a custom formation. If I want to make any formational changes once a game has started it's presets only
  • marc_si 13 Dec 2011 02:42:42 313 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    binky wrote:
    Ah, just the thread I've been looking for.
    @Marc_si I have last years version, and whilst I like it a lot I felt a bit restricted with the tactics. Is it now possible to drag players into a new position which will then created a 4411 into a 442 for instance?
    Yes it is.
  • marc_si 13 Dec 2011 02:44:12 313 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Zomoniac wrote:
    Played it a bit now, and love it. Not played it since the first FMH, and it's leagues ahead. My only complaint is that, whilst in the main tactics window you can drag your players around to your heart's content, once in game you can't create a custom formation. If I want to make any formational changes once a game has started it's presets only
    You can load 'customised' tactics in match - but can't darg and drop in match in the initial release.

We're hoping to enable drag/drop for tactics in match during the update cycle, it was in the game during development but there were a few 'problems' with it and rather than leave something bugged in for the games release I decided to get it fully working and try and put it in for an update (apologies for that - but I do think it was for the best).
  • MadCaddy13 13 Dec 2011 07:43:19 1,858 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I used to love seeing the top 3 players highlighted in previous games on the pc - any chance that will come back?
  • Grump 13 Dec 2011 16:05:43 1,180 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is there iCloud support for those wishing to play across multiple devices? FM11 allowed you to transfer your save across via iTunes but I found that that to be quite a fiddly process and no good if you want to play across both iPhone and iPad when on the go.
  • binky Moderator 13 Dec 2011 16:06:50 9,455 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    oh see... Cloud support would sell it for me BIG time.
  • frugtkompot 13 Dec 2011 17:15:00 2,819 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That would be genius indeed.
  • marc_si 13 Dec 2011 23:14:54 313 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Grump at the moment Cloud support is on the 'to do list' - I've requested more information regarding the most common iPhone contracts in Europe as I'm a tad nervous about eating up too much of peoples data bandwidth potentially (our save games are 3Mb+ in size - so if you load/save once a day then you'll use 180Mb in a month) ....

Most people seem to be in favour of us implementing it from feedback so far though so presuming this vein of comment continues I'll look into it at some point in the future.
  • marc_si 13 Dec 2011 23:16:16 313 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used to love seeing the top 3 players highlighted in previous games on the pc - any chance that will come back?
    Its in FMHi 2012 and appears to be popular so far - if enough people say they like it and also want it on FM PC then theres a reasonable chance the chaps working on that version will sneak it into a future game .... time will tell.
  • frugtkompot 14 Dec 2011 16:58:53 2,819 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You could add a toggle for it, marc. Or options to specify when to sync, so you can choose wifi only.

Photostream syncs on wifi online for example.
  • marc_si 15 Dec 2011 03:55:47 313 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi,

I'm pleased to indicate that the first update to the iOS game should be available on the store later tonight - details of what is in it are indicated below:

#3.1 - Update 1
    Allowed selection of multiple items at once on attribute filter page
    Stop CPU offering to loan players going out of contract soon
    Tuning of timing for transfer rumours
    Add link to general training schedule in motivation problem news item
    Fix for incorrect number of matches being listed for Welsh Prem on rules screen
    Stopped transfer delay news item from being generated when it wasn't needed
    Transfer Window screen fix
    Match balance tweaks
    Transfer logic tweaks
    Made sure league table always gets shown at end of Challenges
    Stopped Negotiate button sometimes appearing for news items when it wasn't needed
    Remember live league table scroll position between screen changes
    Fix rare news glitch where a comment would be given to a humans when not set by him
    Tuning of national team manager job movement

Please keep the feedback on the game coming - especially any glitches or things you'd like to see in future versions we're taking it all into account and there will be further updates at regular intervals.

Hope this helps,

Marc
  • lucky_jim 15 Dec 2011 07:57:27 5,260 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I love this game. But Brighton seem to be considerably skinter in this version than they are in the full-fat game (i.e. I don't have nearly enough money to make Kazenga Lua Lua's loan permanent, as Gus Poyet did irl recently, and which was the first thing I did in the big game).

Still, great stuff though, well done Marc and everyone else at SI (well, I say "everyone else", I mean "the two of you who worked on this" unless you've taken on more people since last year!).

Edited by lucky_jim at 07:57:53 15-12-2011
  • kentmonkey 15 Dec 2011 08:54:06 20,448 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Only feedback I've got is...please release a demo.

I know it must take up quite a lot of resources, but I can't imagine how many people, like me, sit on the fence because they're not sure how they'd get on with a stripped down PC version.

6.99 is a lot for an iPod game, but obviously not a lot for FM and the time you guys have put into it. So while I know as long as I get on with it it will be worth the price, not knowing whether I'll get on with it or not means that it's an expensive risk, in iPod app terms.
  • lucky_jim 15 Dec 2011 09:01:46 5,260 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @kentmonkey: if you ever hanker after CM2-era SI goodness, just take the plunge. You and I generally seem to have similar tastes from what I've seen, so I don't think you'd regret it.

I'm really enjoying the full version of FM2012, but sometimes it's nice to dip into something a bit more like the older games, which were less overwhelmingly complex.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 15 Dec 2011 12:24:20 4,621 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    marc_si wrote:
    Match balance tweaks
    Does this mean my awesome tactic won't work anymore?

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 15 Dec 2011 12:26:33 4,621 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And by "my" I mean the tactic I nicked off somebody on the official forum.

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• Deleted user 20 December 2011 08:31:23
    I started as Southampton and this does remind me of the old CM games on PC. It doesn't have the information overload of the modern PC games.

One thing I do wonder is when my assistant scouts the opposition and provides feedback should I be using that feedback and if so, how do you suggest I use it?

Finally, starting at Southampton the weekly wage budget is well below the wages already being paid! From the outset the board have been unhappy and I'm trying to sell highly paid players just to reduce the wage bill.

Seems an odd way to start the game!
  • elephantjuice 20 Dec 2011 10:15:02 625 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Been thinking about upgrading to an iphone after xmas. If I do this will be an immediate purchase for me. I Loved CM back in the day but never really got to grips with FM.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous