The FA Cup Page 77

• Page

of 169 First / Last

• Flightrisker 5 May 2012 19:43:53 18,138 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Baleoce wrote:
    Was almost hoping that one of the Chelsea defenders would palm the ball away off the line, then Suarez steps up and misses the penalty. Cheating fuck, still can't forget that World Cup game with Ghana.
    Cheating? He got red carded and missed the final, don't blame him for Ghanian strikers not being able to spank the ball into the net from the penalty spot.

Cheating would be punching the ball off the line and getting away without punishment.
    No. If you cheat on your wife / cheat on your taxes it doesn't suddenly become not cheating because you got caught.
  • THFourteen 5 May 2012 19:45:10 34,476 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheating in the sense that if he hadn't cheated uragay would have lost.

So cheating.
  • Widge Moderator 5 May 2012 19:45:42 13,746 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Right, so I saw a match where Paul Scholes handled the ball away off the line against Fulham, actually pushed it with both hands to stop it going in the net. We all hate him now too, right?

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Baleoce 5 May 2012 19:47:54 1,187 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    He got lifted up and paraded around the pitch, and renowned as a hero in his country. Can say what you like, I'd be sick if my countries player acted like that. At least have a bit of shame. And regardless, he deserves what he gets.

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• ecu 5 May 2012 20:00:09 77,324 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Ashwood wrote:
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Only good thing for Liverpool fans now is surely Kenny will be sacked as Henry is pretty ruthless in MLB.
    Yes please. Liverpool fan. Really wanted Chelsea to win for this reason. Annoying thing about the almost goal is that Kenny will blab on about it to justify how ´well´they played.
    You're a disgrace.
    I would never want ny team losing, but surely Faux he has to get the boot now as your season has been failure.
    It's not a failure, we've just been unlucky in the league, we've already got the Carling Cup and the FA Cup is basically in the bag now too. Kenny has been great, he's got us two trophies in his first season.

(every Liverpool fan for the past three months)
  • nickthegun 5 May 2012 20:01:02 61,348 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldnt. As a manager I would expect ever player out there to do the same thing and as a fan, I expect the same.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• King_Edward 5 May 2012 20:34:44 11,471 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah. No different to Solskjaer(sp?) scything down Rob Lee clean through on goal, and he gets treated like a hero.
  • ecu 5 May 2012 20:42:08 77,324 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    People dislike the Suarez one more because it was against Ghana. It would have been huge for them to get to the semi-finals, no African team has ever done that, and on their home turf too. People felt for them. They were such huge underdogs. It's like, if you cheat to win a game of chess, that's pretty bad, but you do what you can, yeah? But then it would rile people up if you had to cheat in order to beat a little kid at chess, when he's played honestly the whole time, and tried so hard. It just makes you come off as that much more of a cunt. If he'd done it against Spain or something, after all their players had been diving and playacting all game, people wouldn't have cared as much.

Edited by ecureuil at 20:42:42 05-05-2012
  • SolidSCB 5 May 2012 20:49:26 7,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't know how anyone can try to defend or justify Suarez' antics against Ghana with a straight face. It probably the most dispicable and blatant piece of cheating I've ever seen, with the exception of the infamous Rivaldo incident.
  • teamHAM 5 May 2012 20:54:30 3,153 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm pretty sure Suarez's antics were recently voted the most shocking world cup moment of all time, beating the hand of god, the three yellow cards, battiston et al.

Also, it wasn't just the act of the handball, which was of course despicable enough, it was his reaction as the penalties were missed and subsequently Ghana were dumped out, and the way he was jumping around squealing like a girl and being given a lap of honor by his team mates which made it all the harder to watch as he clearly had no respect whatsoever either for the sport or the opponents.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• liamthemaster 5 May 2012 20:55:01 1,610 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @SolidSCB What about all the other people in the past who have done the same as him and not been sent off or had a penalty awarded ? Maradona's Hand of God was also far worse too.
  • faux-C 5 May 2012 20:58:26 9,643 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thiery Henry vs Ireland as worse.
  • SolidSCB 5 May 2012 21:04:54 7,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm not talking about other incidents here, we'd be here all day. Suarez' incident was particularly vile. Whining on about things like "Well, what about the incident by player X in 1995 SO THAT MAKES SUAREZ' INCIDENT OK" as a means to justify such a disgusting display of rule breaking is as blinkered as it gets.
  • LionheartDJH 5 May 2012 21:12:55 19,548 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What a crock of shit that was. 'Mr Motivator' can't get a team to start playing until they are 2-0 behind and the game is pretty much beyond reach. Tactics wrong from the start off, Spearing had an absolute shocker, Hendo and Downing non-entities as usual. Trying to Barca Chelsea in the first half when even Barca couldn't Barca Chelsea with 10 men? Come off it Kenny, passing the ball around your own defence a hundred times is not going to get you many goals.

Only two positives were that Carroll had an excellent game (actually looked like he was trying for once and was MOTM for us IMO even though he only played 25 mins) and that of course the loss pushes Kenny further towards the exit.

Aside from that well done Chelsea. If we'd have played like the last 30 for the full game we would have won, but well played, better team won on the day.

She dives for cheese pasties

• THFourteen 5 May 2012 21:14:33 34,476 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thierry didn't celebrate after the game, apologised to players on the pitch, and apologised afterwards.

Goes back to what was said earlier, most players might have done what he did, but not all would react afterwards in a vile manner.

Also he is racist.
  • nickthegun 5 May 2012 21:15:24 61,348 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing about the suarez thing, its not cheating like, for example, JT trying to dead leg sanchez and get away with it, he did it knowing full well he was going to get sent off.

The law of the game allowed him to do exactly what he did and he did it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 5 May 2012 21:15:31
    liamthemaster wrote:
    @SolidSCB What about all the other people in the past who have done the same as him and not been sent off or had a penalty awarded ? Maradona's Hand of God was also far worse too.
    Problem is... everyone hates england so they probably celebrated the fact maradona done what he did. (the bastard)

TeamHam pretty much nais it on the head.

Also you just have to look at suarez and know what sort of person he is.

Edited by joelstinton at 21:16:29 05-05-2012
  • Baleoce 5 May 2012 21:18:03 1,187 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Thierry didn't celebrate after the game, apologised to players on the pitch, and apologised afterwards.

Steam: Baleoce
    PSN: Baleoce
    Nintendo Network: Baleoce

• LionheartDJH 5 May 2012 21:21:01 19,548 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh joy more Suarez arguments. I was beginning to miss them.

She dives for cheese pasties

• King_Edward 5 May 2012 21:23:34 11,471 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think anyone is saying Suarez isn't an A grade cunt. Just that that incident wasn't that bad. I'd expect most players to do it. How he reacted afterwards is a seperate point entirely.
  • FWB 5 May 2012 21:31:33 45,627 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Enjoyed that. Also enjoyed Carroll being an idiot celebrating when he should have pounced on the save.
  • FutileResistor 5 May 2012 21:37:17 1,239 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Baleoce wrote:
    Was almost hoping that one of the Chelsea defenders would palm the ball away off the line, then Suarez steps up and misses the penalty. Cheating fuck, still can't forget that World Cup game with Ghana.
    The problem is the rule. The rule is supposed to punish the defending team but the risk/reward changes as the game progress.

In the first minutes of the game almost no players will deliberately handball to prevent a goal.

In the last minutes of a game, almost all players will handball to prevent a goal if it means it will give their team a chance win the match, let alone a chance to go through to the world cup final. The rule is now punishing the attacking team. Obviously completely opposite to the intent of the rule.

A simple rule change would deal with this. If you prevent a goal (as opposed to a goal-scoring chance) with a deliberate handball, the goal is given and the offending player is sent off.

No player would deliberately handball to prevent a goal after that.
  • Flightrisker 5 May 2012 21:43:21 18,138 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FutileResistor wrote:
    Baleoce wrote:
    The problem is the rule. The rule is supposed to punish the defending team but the risk/reward changes as the game progress.

In the first minutes of the game almost no players will deliberately handball to prevent a goal.

In the last minutes of a game, almost all players will handball to prevent a goal if it means it will give their team a chance win the match, let alone a chance to go through to the world cup final. The rule is now punishing the attacking team. Obviously completely opposite to the intent of the rule.

A simple rule change would deal with this. If you prevent a goal (as opposed to a goal-scoring chance) with a deliberate handball, the goal is given and the offending player is sent off.

No player would deliberately handball to prevent a goal after that.

Good point but I disagree with the "In the last minutes of a game, almost all players will handball to prevent a goal if it means it will give their team a chance win the match" theory. I don't think it's any coincidence that it was Luis Suarez that handled the ball.
  • Syrette 5 May 2012 21:49:51 44,255 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Keane and Southgate were making that argument this afternoon too - that any player in that situation would do the same thing instinctively.

Poyet will defend what Suarez did till the day he dies too.

Edited by Syrette at 21:50:08 05-05-2012

• ecu 5 May 2012 21:56:24 77,324 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nobody seems to care about cheating in football, it's accepted as part of the game. It makes no sense to me.

Diving to win an important penalty, handballing it on the line to stop an opposition goal, or handballing it to score yourself - this is cheating, it should be met with the most severe punishments. If you take performance enhancing drugs, you're labelled a cheat and banned for months. If you score a goal with your hand, some fans call you a cheat, and if you get away with it, you're not even punished. It's totally disproportionate.

In most sports, if you cheat, you're disqualified, or at the very least, you're punished to the point where you can't really compete anymore (such as heavy shot penalties in golf). You cheat in football and you're rewarded as often as you're punished.
  • King_Edward 5 May 2012 22:26:37 11,471 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    But it's not really cheating. Not like diving or scoring a goal with your hand is.
  • FutileResistor 5 May 2012 22:39:35 1,239 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    Goood point but I disagree with the "In the last minutes of a game, almost all players will handball to prevent a goal if it means it will give their team a chance win the match" theory. I don't think it's any coincidence that it was Luis Suarez that handled the ball.
    Yeah, I'll have to beg to differ.

Given the fact that almost all players are perfectly happy to pick up a booking just to prevent a clean break-away counter attack (the so-called professional foul). I'm pretty certain that almost all players would take being sent off to prevent a goal in the last minutes of a game.

It's just sensible risk/reward assessment, exploitation of the rules. As gamers we should all be able to see that at least.

I reiterate, the problem is the rule.

Make a distinction between preventing a goal scoring oppourtunity and preventing a goal. Award a goal and send off the player preventing the goal. Your rule no longer punishes the wrong team. The problem disappears overnight. It's pretty simple.

Edited by FutileResistor at 22:43:15 05-05-2012

Edited by FutileResistor at 22:43:48 05-05-2012
  • Trowel 5 May 2012 22:54:02 18,072 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FutileResistor wrote:
    Make a distinction between preventing a goal scoring oppourtunity and preventing a goal. Award a goal and send off the player preventing the goal. Your rule no longer punishes the wrong team. The problem disappears overnight. It's pretty simple.
    I agree, and think this is what it boils down to with the Suarez handball - the punishment didn't quite fit the crime.

For the record I'd have been gutted if it were my team in that situation and one of my players hadn't done the exact same thing (given the current rules).
  • Deleted user 5 May 2012 23:20:31
    Nice one chelsea, get rid of terry and you'll get even more respect. Really happy for Matteo, got a great shot at the big time and has grabbed it by the balls.
  • Page

of 169 First / Last