RIP Margaret Thatcher Page 3

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• TheSaint 28 Nov 2011 10:27:32 14,303 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wasn't the privatisation of the railways done under Major rather than Thatcher?
  • localnotail 28 Nov 2011 13:06:43 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There are so many things that she did wrong from the perspective of the many. It was all about keeping her and her cronies and sponsors on the gravy train for life. She was a hypocrite too - in political life she was anti-smoking and then took hundreds of thousands of pounds a year working for Phillip Morris when she retired.

Widening the gap between rich and poor was the worst of it, I think. Really shocking, she set in motion the means for the nations wealth to revert to being in the hands of the few.

Handing people in council houses the right to buy their property was one of the biggest vote-buying scandals in history - selling them off at below market value to ensure the Tories stayed in power, while simultaneously gutting local council housing stock and offering very little in funding to replace them, meaning that those growing up in the years to follow could not gain the same level of assistance for their families, further increasing poverty and homelessness.

As for privatisation, well, even the Daily Mail called water privitisation "greatest act of licensed robbery in our history". If you really want to know more about the truth of water privatisation, read this.

She cut spending in education, she refused to back sanctions against apartheid, she spent a fuckton of money on American weapons that we didn't need. The list is endless. Even she admitted that privatising the railways was a bad idea.

The idea that anyone is coming out of recent history lessons thinking she was any good as a politician baffles me, and just goes to show how fucked our education system is now.

Edited by localnotail at 13:08:17 28-11-2011

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• thelzdking 28 Nov 2011 13:13:46 4,367 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Recently I was told by a politics student that there a bunch of first-years (i.e. eighteen-year-olds) on her course had a set up a Thatcher society. Scary stuff.
  • mcmonkeyplc 28 Nov 2011 13:14:43 39,440 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or how much pain she inflicted on a large amount of the society...

She was evil yes, but you have to remember that it needed to be done. We were practically bankrupt a conveinent aspect people seem to forget.

That's coming from me and I think my views on the Tory party are common knowledge :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• RyanDS 28 Nov 2011 13:16:10 9,250 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

She was evil yes, but you have to remember that it needed to be done. We were practically bankrupt a conveinent aspect people seem to forget.

That's coming from me and I think my views on the Tory party are common knowledge :)
    Section 28 was pure evil, with no excuse of "it needed to be done"

Vile, vile woman.
  • mcmonkeyplc 28 Nov 2011 13:20:55 39,440 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

Section 28 was pure evil, with no excuse of "it needed to be done"

Vile, vile woman.
    Thanks for that, you could've just used Hitler to mega godwin. :p

• AcidSnake 28 Nov 2011 13:21:50 7,241 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So what's section 28 about?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• RyanDS 28 Nov 2011 13:25:04 9,250 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    So what's section 28 about?
    Makes it illegal to be nice about gays in school.

If you aren't bashing them it's a crime to mention them. Suffice to say a few people weren't too impressed with that little bit of legislation.
  • mcmonkeyplc 28 Nov 2011 13:25:52 39,440 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Labour repeeled it in 2003.

• RyanDS 28 Nov 2011 13:25:58 9,250 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The amendment stated that a local authority "shall not intentionally promote homosexuality or publish material with the intention of promoting homosexuality" or "promote the teaching in any maintained school of the acceptability of homosexuality as a pretended family relationship
  • AcidSnake 28 Nov 2011 13:40:01 7,241 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Damn, that's fucked up...Was that another move to court votes or did they actually feel that strongly about the issue?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Syrette 28 Nov 2011 13:47:22 43,296 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago

• localnotail 28 Nov 2011 13:53:55 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Damn, that's fucked up...Was that another move to court votes or did they actually feel that strongly about the issue?
    Mainline Conservative opinion equated homosexuality with paedophilia and said that the lifestyle shouldn't be promoted to schoolkids as it would threaten "family values". All the main religious leaders supported it. Bastards. Same people held back the lowering of the gay age of consent to 16 for similar reasons. That didn't actually happen until 2000. Shocking really. You were legally able to make the decision to shag and get pregnant and bring a child into the world, but not decide you wanted to fall in love / get dirty with someone of your own sex. Idiots.

It was only actually legal to be gay at all in the UK from 1967, and then only from age 21. Edwina Currie, who was actually a conservative, tried to get it dropped down in the mid 80s but she only managed a compromise 18.

• MetalDog 28 Nov 2011 13:56:50 23,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Things were in a bad way before she rolled into power - bad people always do well when things are bad to begin with, that's how Labour managed to get so many anti-civil liberties measures in, on the back of the bad times of terrorism.

She was deeply unpleasant for a lot of people. She broke communities. She screwed us all long-term with the housing market. She was a 'this is for your own good, children' leader and she was forced out of power by riots on the streets thanks to her ideas of a 'fair' tax. She supported evil regimes and even now she stands by the memory of Pinochet as 'a lovely man'.

It's awful that she's being whitewashed by time and I'm not looking forward to the absolute shit they're going to talk about her when she does die.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 28 November 2011 13:59:05
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-BZIWSI5UQ
  • cianchristopher 28 Nov 2011 13:59:22 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, but would you fuck Margaret Thatcher? That's the real question.
  • localnotail 28 Nov 2011 14:01:16 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Yeah, but would you fuck Margaret Thatcher? That's the real question.
    Only if I can do it ungently with a chainsaw.

• AcidSnake 28 Nov 2011 14:04:09 7,241 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Odd, I always though of the UK as quite a progressive country when it came to gay rights etc...Much like the Netherlands...
    No idea there was such an opposition to it...

• localnotail 28 Nov 2011 14:07:28 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Massive hypocrisy is a way of life in our government. Always has been, probably sadly always will be.

• mcmonkeyplc 28 Nov 2011 14:10:30 39,440 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm pretty sure her evil nature has not been lost in time. This thread shows that.

• glaeken 28 Nov 2011 14:11:02 11,143 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stop bumping this thread!! The disappointment each time I open it is more than I can take.
  • MetalDog 28 Nov 2011 14:11:13 23,697 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We're not even remotely progressive. I'm ashamed of the British attitude to difference of any kind. It's better in big cities than the sticks, but God, we're still such a bunch of little Englanders/Scotlanders/Welshlanders/Irelanders. We've never grown up in that regard.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Fab4 28 Nov 2011 14:16:10 5,993 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Odd, I always though of the UK as quite a progressive country when it came to gay rights etc...Much like the Netherlands...
    The Netherlands has its problems, but when it comes to flattening society to a point where it doesn't matter what/who you are...they are pretty much something to be admired. Still a bit of a problem with racism though.
  • AcidSnake 28 Nov 2011 14:21:24 7,241 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That whole racism thing is slightly scary as I remember it being much less around 2000...Though I think it's a particular racism there as coloured people are OK, it's just muslims that are more singled out now...

• Fab4 28 Nov 2011 14:29:13 5,993 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    That whole racism thing is slightly scary as I remember it being much less around 2000...Though I think it's a particular racism there as coloured people are OK, it's just muslims that are more singled out now...
    I've been in The Netherlands since 96 and its always been there. Mostly towards Moroccans, and I don't think it was down to the fact they were muslims...not back then anyway. While they have a 'matter of fact' description of what constitutes a proper dutch person...it always seemed a 'sinister' compartmentalisation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allochtoon
  • AcidSnake 28 Nov 2011 14:50:47 7,241 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been there myself awhile and am aware of the whole allochtoon business...It just seemed like a lost battle for them...The Netherlands have now reached 3rd generation immigrants and it's really just stubbornness that keeps them as foreigners in some eyes...

• RyanDS 28 Nov 2011 18:18:53 9,250 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    You should read about Turing some time. Dude basically won world war 2 for the Allies what with his code breaking and shit, and as a reward the government cut his balls off.

Seriously fucked up.
  • warlockuk 28 Nov 2011 18:26:40 19,148 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, they didn't exactly cut his balls off. They took his security clearance away and he pulled a Snow White.

Fucking travesty that happened to the guy who is regarded as the Godfather of AI. But typical 40s mentality - you can fight the hun but not if you're a dirty nancy boy. :/

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• andytheadequate 29 Nov 2011 14:30:14 8,121 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I recently went to an old pit village to play rugby in south yorkshire. On the side of the changing rooms was a don't do drugs mural along the lines of 1970s: down the pit, 2011 unemployed. I think they remember how she destroyed communities

She might not be dead yet, but hasn't she gone senile? Perhaps we can hope she has a long, horribly painful drawn out life?
  • Page

of 78 First / Last