RIP Margaret Thatcher Page 76

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• Deleted user 18 April 2013 16:02:35
    Heh, I love conversations designing systems. You always end up having to come up with a fuck ton of bolt on ideas to compensate for shit :D
  • mcmonkeyplc 18 Apr 2013 16:05:43 39,467 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well it's a refreshing change from talking to mentalists :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 18 April 2013 16:16:20
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    In the house of Lords? Yes you do.
    I thought Blair and Lord Chief justice Falconer moved that goal post. Didn't they reduce the numbers of the house, make them all write letters to say why they were entitled to the jobs, and added some other legislation that said on the second time a bill was returned to the commons it could be finalised by the commons without the Lord's consent?
  • HelloNo 18 Apr 2013 16:17:06 1,153 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They keep dithering over that. Somehow noone ever gets round to reforming the house of lords.

I'm actually in favour of leaving it as it is. Or at least, only making half of it voted-in. One of the houses' strengths is the expertise it has. Just vote in politicians and you lose that.

@LeoliansBro if you do, make sure you get it on camera.
  • disusedgenius 18 Apr 2013 16:19:07 5,394 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, so far they seem to be filling it with ex-politicians anyway, so it almost makes no odd at this stage.
  • Deleted user 18 April 2013 16:24:20
    Yeah, voting in the Lords is a fucking stupid idea.
  • mcmonkeyplc 18 Apr 2013 16:30:37 39,467 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Yeah, voting in the Lords is a fucking stupid idea.
    Would you like to explain why?

• LeoliansBro 18 Apr 2013 16:31:47 44,503 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think he means that the point of the Lords is to provide a counterbalance which is not subject to the fast-changing whims of the electorate. A sense of perspective.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 16:32:04 18-04-2013

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• mcmonkeyplc 18 Apr 2013 16:33:02 39,467 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah but you can kind of get around that by giving them longer terms than the house of commons and or having parts that are elected and not.

60% voted with 10 year terms. 40% not voted.

• Bremenacht 18 Apr 2013 16:53:23 18,693 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The joy of the house of lords is that they can concentrate on the work at hand rather than the job of being re-elected. Unfortunately, the job at hand is sometimes signing in to claim allowances, enjoying splendid lunches, and post-lunch snoozes in the chamber.
  • spamdangled 23 Apr 2013 12:14:19 27,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Current issue of Private Eye is very good. Lots of small bits about the complete U-turn and hypocrisy of journalists and newspapers with their views on Thatcher.

The front page is just "MAGGIE! MAGGIE! MAGGIE! (souvenir issue) OUT! OUT! OUT! (now)"

Also some interesting stuff in there about the welfare reforms and little bit about the latest round of Tories visiting Saudi Arabia (some in the company of Arms dealers)

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Khanivor 23 Apr 2013 12:18:48 40,936 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I take it you support their stance on the new press regulations.
  • spamdangled 23 Apr 2013 12:26:18 27,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Actually no, I'm in favour of the Leveson recommendations. Why that means I'm not allowed to enjoy reading Private Eye, I don't know.

Not that it's relevant in the first place.

Edited by darkmorgado at 12:26:37 23-04-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Mr_Sleep 23 Apr 2013 12:29:24 17,171 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Regarding the Lords, while there's clearly a lot of back scratching and favours for favours involved in getting into the house of Lords I once met someone who went on to become a Lord and there's not a chance in hell that the public would have voted for him but he was an absolutely brilliant intellectual and it would be a shame that he is denied access by the rather stupid public.

The Lords should not be reformed to public voting but I do think there should be some form of oversight but I'd like to think, for the most part, they do have our interests at heart to some degree.

You are a factory of sadness.

• spamdangled 23 Apr 2013 12:35:04 27,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It was my understanding that under the reforms that were proposed, the voting would actually be done by MPs rather than the general public.

• Mr_Sleep 23 Apr 2013 12:42:05 17,171 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can only see voting done by MPs working if it was a whip-free vote or if they abolished the whip system but since neither of those things will happen then I can't see that being any better.

• Deleted user 23 April 2013 12:42:27
    Local old peoples home near me is being shut down.
  • Mr_Sleep 23 Apr 2013 12:43:49 17,171 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Local old peoples home near me is being shut down.
    Chuck them in a ditch, what have old people ever done for this country? Eh?

• rudedudejude 23 Apr 2013 12:50:25 2,201 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    All I know is, after watching commons live for a couple of days, and then house of lords for a couple of days, the Lords win out each time on common sense, pragmatic approach to readings and debates. I suggest you take a look if you've not, you'll be plesantly surprised.

Edited by rudedudejude at 12:51:18 23-04-2013
  • spamdangled 23 Apr 2013 12:54:40 27,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The best work done by MPs is usually done in the various Select Committees rather than the actual House of Commons. It's free of the normal partisan bickering across the benches (most of the time) and a lot of very interesting stuff comes out that rarely gets the attention it deserves.

The grilling of George Osborne in the Treasury Select Committee (plus the subsequent evidence given by banks and finance leaders) shed a lot of light on the budget, particularly the bonkers subsidised mortgage scheme. It's worth watching about the real impact of the reforms he's bringing in and just how utterly clueless the man is.

Edited by darkmorgado at 12:59:15 23-04-2013

• Deleted user 23 April 2013 12:54:52
    I guess it's funny that the very existence of the house of lords suggests somebody historically realised our political system was broken from the getgo.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 12:55:23 23-04-2013
  • Deleted user 23 April 2013 13:06:20
    I saw Osborne's performance on the Parliament Channel, and it was good unintentionally funny comedy material :D He's a complete moron.
  • cubbymoore 23 Apr 2013 13:59:54 36,500 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Of course The Private Eye isn't in favour of press regulation. Half of its content is based on awful journalism, it doesn't want to dwindle that resource.
  • RobTheBuilder 23 Apr 2013 14:20:30 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Of course The Private Eye isn't in favour of press regulation. Half of its content is based on awful journalism, it doesn't want to dwindle that resource.
    touché sir
  • spamdangled 23 Apr 2013 14:21:59 27,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dogme wrote:
    I saw Osborne's performance on the Parliament Channel, and it was good unintentionally funny comedy material :D He's a complete moron.
    He really, really is. He probably comes up with the budget by scribbling ideas on a napkin in the commons Bar late at night about a week before it's due.

The slow motion descent into a look of wide-eyed horror on his face when his flagship mortgage policy was utterly torn to pieces was beautiful to behold. The subsequent stammering and panic that followed really showed that he hadn't thought about the implications of it in any sort of depth whatsoever.

Edited by darkmorgado at 14:26:26 23-04-2013

• RobTheBuilder 23 Apr 2013 14:41:56 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @darkmorgado that this man in charge of our finances is a travesty.

I just realised who he reminds me of (and sounds like) too...

http://youtu.be/adGbbL_FSrc
  • Rodpad 23 Apr 2013 15:19:56 1,951 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Dogme wrote:
    He really, really is. He probably comes up with the budget by scribbling ideas on a napkin in the commons Bar late at night about a week before it's due.

The slow motion descent into a look of wide-eyed horror on his face when his flagship mortgage policy was utterly torn to pieces was beautiful to behold. The subsequent stammering and panic that followed really showed that he hadn't thought about the implications of it in any sort of depth whatsoever.
    Is it online anywhere to watch?
  • spamdangled 23 Apr 2013 15:58:45 27,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Player.aspx?meetingId=12926

It's probably on iPlayer somewhere as well, as it was repeated on BBC Parliament yesterday.

Basically, the scheme will actually create an inflation in the cost of housing (due to demand hugely outstripping supply) meaning that it will make it HARDER for people to buy their own homes, not easier. The Treasury will be incentivised to keep the scheme going beyond the initial 3 year time limit by the increased revenue resulting from the inflation, therefore practically guaranteeing another cycle of boom and bust only this time with an inherent risk to taxpayer. In effect, the scheme is highly likely to plunge us back into a huge recession when it all goes pear shaped.

He could give no firm figures on how much it will cost, how many people they expect it to help (apparently there are actually several contradictory estimations flying around), or give reassurance that the taxpayer will be sufficiently protected by the inherent riskiness should the whole thing go wrong (which it will).

There was other stuff discussed as well, such as how his reforms of panning permission have actually made it more expensive to rebuild or extend your property due to 2 stealth taxes he's brought in.

One thing I will say (to get this back on topic) - even Maggie wouldn't have gone this far or been so utterly unprepared.

It seems the self-proclaimed "Thatcher's Children" were themselves the victims of the public spending cuts to Education during her reign to have missed such glaring and obvious risks.

Edited by darkmorgado at 03:08:11 24-04-2013

• spamdangled 6 May 2013 22:05:56 27,410 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Brief rez -

Just been re-watching Margaret - a BBC dramatised account of Maggie's final days in power, starting with the resignation of Howe. It's very good, and I expect a few people missed it when it was first on a few years back.

• LeoliansBro 7 May 2013 00:42:23 44,503 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some very good casting in that. Ian McDiarmid and Michael Maloney in particular.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Page

of 78 First / Last