The Staggeringly Incompetent Moron thread

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • dominalien 23 Nov 2011 20:45:18 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, I have a little story for you tonight.

I have an Infocus X10 projector. I use it for games and such. It's rather good, full HD, goes well with my PS3, blu-rays etc.

Some time ago I noticed the colours were a little off. I started calibrating using the on-screen settings, but no matter what I did I couldn't get the colours to look right. After a time, I was noticing the colour anomalies everywhere, and it was driving me completely bonkers. It's out of warranty, but nevertheless, I took the projector in to be serviced, with an authorised Infocus service company here in town, hoping it would be something simple and cheap, or at least the cost would be bearable. That was in the first days of July.

I got the projector back yesterday. That was after two additional visits to them: first to explain exactly what was wrong (even though they'd claimed at first they could see the fault), then when they told me it was fixed (some 600€ + VAT, which I could live with) but when I got there and we started testing, it turned out it was exactly the same as when I sent it to them. Last week, a final diagnosis: the entire optical unit has to be replaced, at the cost of 1150€ + VAT, which is 23% over here. I said "fuck it, I'm not going to pay that", paid the service fee of 20something€ and took the projector home, hoping maybe I'd be able to buy the parts on ebay or something and fix it myself, since they'd already diagnosed the problem. Yes, I'm handy like that.

In the intervening 4 months, however, I managed to get hold of the service code for the projector which gives access to a couple of service options in the on-screen menu, not available to regular customers.

This morning I got up, fired up the projector, put a test image on the screen (basically RGB gradient bars), entered the service menu where a promisingly named "Color Wheel Index" option was located and in 30 seconds got perfect colours. All it took in my case was to change that setting from 77 to 64.

Fucking. 30. seconds.

Fucking morons.

To make matters worse, as they were messing up in the innards of the projector, they let dust particles settle on the mirror behind the lens and now, on a very dark image, I can see brighter spots all over the screen.

Fucking morons.

I'm taking the projector back next week to be cleaned, and of course demanding a refund of the "service fee" which they clearly don't deserve.
    If they're not as prompt in cleaning the projector, refunding the fee or apologetic enough for my liking, I'll also write to Infocus headquarters describing the experience. You never know, something might happen. I'd so love to see the complete moron of a technician who was "diagnosing" my projector to get fired.

So, here's my story. It's not pretty and not interesting, but it's mine. And now I've shared it with you, I can go have a couple of beers in celebration of having just saved myself 1150€. Plus VAT. Which would not have fixed my colours anyway.

PSN: DonOsito

• speedofthepuma 23 Nov 2011 20:53:11 13,320 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We need a random rants thread.

Good luck though, they sound shit.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Metalfish 23 Nov 2011 20:53:49 8,874 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cool story b-

*dies*
  • jonsaan 23 Nov 2011 20:55:57 25,440 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a shame you didn't get hold of that service code before eh?

One thing this life has taught me is that nobody will look after your own shit as well as you do.

FCUTA!

• dominalien 23 Nov 2011 20:56:16 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    You probably should have checked the colour settings before taking it to be repaired really. Moron.
    Which part about the service code that is not available to the public did you not understand? Moron.

• dominalien 23 Nov 2011 20:57:49 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    It's a shame you didn't get hold of that service code before eh?

One thing this life has taught me is that nobody will look after your own shit as well as you do.
    It is. However, I was certain that if there were a setting in the service menu that would fix the colours, the guy servicing it would use it. Right?

• Deleted user 23 November 2011 21:05:09
    Are you sure you don't just have cataracts
  • SG 23 Nov 2011 21:06:02 1,896 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Depending on which country you live in, given how much you've had to shell out already you might want to consider taking them to your equivalent of the UK's Small Claims Court.

Add me on Nintendo network! I'm 'Sy' or 'Sy_the_Brit_1982' (I've got US systems, hence 'the_Brit').

• dominalien 23 Nov 2011 21:08:57 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nope, in the end I only paid 20something €. But I want it back anyway.

• jonsaan 23 Nov 2011 21:12:29 25,440 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How did you get the code in the end? It reminds me of the old Xbox codes that were secret for clearing the cache and stuff.

FCUTA!

• dominalien 23 Nov 2011 21:12:59 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    We need a random rants thread.

Good luck though, they sound shit.
    Feel free to write about your experiences with incompetent morons here ;)

• dominalien 23 Nov 2011 21:13:45 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jonsaan wrote:
    How did you get the code in the end? It reminds me of the old Xbox codes that were secret for clearing the cache and stuff.
    I found the service manual for the projector.

Edited by dominalien at 05:26:59 28-11-2011

• SG 23 Nov 2011 21:16:19 1,896 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ooooh so you got the 600€ + VAT back?

Add me on Nintendo network! I'm 'Sy' or 'Sy_the_Brit_1982' (I've got US systems, hence 'the_Brit').

• jonsaan 23 Nov 2011 21:17:30 25,440 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I once paid some eediot real cash money to cap my chimney pot. Upon close inspection I discovered he had used gaffer tape. Moron.

FCUTA!

• dominalien 23 Nov 2011 21:19:58 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SG wrote:
    Ooooh so you got the 600€ + VAT back?
    I never paid it. They told me the projector was fixed for a fee of 600€, I went in to pick it up and pay, but I tested it in the shop and it turned out it was not better at all.

• SG 23 Nov 2011 21:36:53 1,896 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah right.

• Deleted user 23 November 2011 21:51:54
    SG wrote:
    Depending on which country you live in, given how much you've had to shell out already you might want to consider taking them to your equivalent of the UK's Small Claims Court.
    :D
  • SG 23 Nov 2011 22:58:05 1,896 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ?

• neilka 23 Nov 2011 23:33:09 16,526 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rape them to death

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• dominalien 10 Jul 2013 10:03:58 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This story has a second part, as it turns out.

After I got the projector back from the service, it would sometimes overheat and turn off. Not very often and only if the temp in the room was 25 degrees C or more. It's rarely that hot in the apartment, so it's never bothered me that much, until this summer when it's really hot for extended periods of time to the point where I haven't been able to play any games at all for a week, because the temperature in the room is 27 degrees C in the morning, rising to 30 in the afternoon.

So I started taking the projector apart (again!) and for the life of me couldn't find anything wrong with it: dust free, all fans working, everything seemed fine. Except for one detail:

There's a small fan which blows air directly at the front of the lamp, separate from the main big fan which blows at the entire lamp. Air from this small fan is then funneled through a small U-shaped element which then redirects it to the main air duct. This element is pushed into a part of the lamp enclosure until it clicks and fastened to the outer shell of the projector with a little screw. Without the screw it still holds on, but loosely, and it's possible to move it a couple of mm in every which way. With the screw it fits snugly and doesn't move.

What the moron in the service did was break off the screw hole in the shell of the projector so the screw no longer had anything to hold on to, so he just left the element like that.

Seeing as this was the only thing I noticed that was wrong with the projector, I got a longer screw and managed to fix the element securely in place so it doesn't move.

Result: it's 27 degrees C in the room right now and the projector has been running for hours.

My theory about this is that as the air pushes agains the U-shape, it moves back a little and a 1-2mm crack appears between it and the rest of the enclosure, and through this crack very hot air from the front of the lamp blows upwards, right at the place where the temperature sensor is attached, causing it to trigger the overheating alarm. Normally, the sensor should only be in contact with the much cooler air from the main fan, with the air from the front of the lamp added to the general airflow behind the sensor.

Fucker.

tl;dr: the moron in the Infocus service is an even bigger moron than previously determined.

• neilka 10 Jul 2013 10:07:34 16,526 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Killing spree at Infocus HQ is the only solution

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Steve_Perry 10 Jul 2013 10:10:14 5,200 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I can't wait for the final instalment of this thrilling trilogy.
  • imamazed 10 Jul 2013 10:10:26 5,949 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you'd checked the asstemps straight away...
  • dominalien 10 Jul 2013 10:12:13 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    I can't wait for the final instalment of this thrilling trilogy.
    I'm sure I'll deliver. :-)

Just don't hold your breath for two years.

• Steve_Perry 10 Jul 2013 10:14:30 5,200 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    :)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 10 Jul 2013 10:17:58 39,733 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Last week one of our First Line support team asked me if our laptops would pick up Anti Virus updates if not connected to the network.

I would have liked to have seen the look on my face.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• dominalien 10 Jul 2013 10:23:03 7,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, (s)he works in first line support for a reason... It's pretty moronic, though.

• imamazed 10 Jul 2013 10:23:27 5,949 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have a colleague, well a regional colleague, who has spelt their own name three different ways to me in correspondence.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous