Xbox One Page 334

• Page

of 1121 First / Last

• djronz. 19 Aug 2013 06:10:22 295 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Probably not the best analogy but the ps3 had six axis controls in every box but other than a few exceptions developers either shoehorned in some gimmick or later just didn't bother at all. The fact that kinect is in every box does not guarantee its a good device for games.
  • Rodney 19 Aug 2013 07:16:27 1,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The thing is with Kinect is they keep trying to sell it based on its potential. If there was a compelling demonstration of its capabilities and applications I'm sure we would have seen it by now.

I actually quite like my Kinect. I've had some greats nights messing around on Dance Central and Fruit Ninja when friends come over and I look forward to playing some of the Sesame Street games with my daughter when she is a bit older.

But it is never going to be a good controller for traditional single player games (or at best it will have very limited application) so its lunacy that Microsoft would make it the central USP of its new console.
  • Psychotext 19 Aug 2013 09:45:21 55,032 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm looking at it from a different perspective, I don't want it for use in traditional single player games, I want to see new things done with it.

...and yes, I appreciate that means casual games on the whole.
  • Deleted user 19 August 2013 09:52:17
    I just don't see it. I remember everyone getting their knickers in a twist when I said that no matter what they implement it will also feel disjointed. There is something fundamentally unnatural about kinect, no physical feedback kills it when it comes to games. It is a very large step behind wii waggle controls which at least provide feedback. After over a year (two?) it appears I am right. There is nothing beyond eye toy gimmicks from the ps2.
  • mrpon 19 Aug 2013 09:54:15 29,568 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kinect now has a wider angle lense mow, you should be okay.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 19 August 2013 10:03:28
    Shush you.
  • Rodney 19 Aug 2013 10:13:08 1,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    I'm looking at it from a different perspective, I don't want it for use in traditional single player games, I want to see new things done with it.

...and yes, I appreciate that means casual games on the whole.
    fair enough, it has potential but at this point it is unproven potential and it is a big ask to ask people to drop half a grand on something that might be goo.
  • Rodney 19 Aug 2013 10:16:54 1,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If they are gonna make it a main selling point they should at least show something that demonstrates the new game play ideas it is capable of. The fact they haven't makes me think there aren't any because it is fundamentally unsuitable for games.
  • X201 19 Aug 2013 10:20:28 15,745 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The 10,000th poster is actually Don Mattrick in disguise.
  • Widge Moderator 19 Aug 2013 10:27:18 13,743 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    djronz. wrote:
    Probably not the best analogy but the ps3 had six axis controls in every box but other than a few exceptions developers either shoehorned in some gimmick or later just didn't bother at all. The fact that kinect is in every box does not guarantee its a good device for games.
    It'll need Microsoft to make games for it. To get the best out of Kinect, you need to make a Kinect centric game. Multiplatform devs won't spend any effort making something which immediately cuts out the Sony and PC platforms.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Anthony_UK 19 Aug 2013 10:50:13 2,551 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I must admit, after seeing some of the tech demos flying around on YouTube, I'm just as interested to see just just what the new kinect can do outside of gaming as much as the dedicated games themselves.

If the voice commands are more accurate and the noise cancelling works as well as the tech demos, they could finally be onto something. Also if the fidelity is finally there to fling menus around minority report style, along with features like recognising who's holding the controller and automatically logging them in. This could, I repeat COULD end up being something we take for granted as much as wireless pads.

Am I keen on paying 80 for the privilege, maybe not. But it's a new generation and new tech and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
  • X201 19 Aug 2013 11:07:23 15,745 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But you're Don Mattrick!!

If you don't know any of that, no wonder the launch was such a shambles.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 19 Aug 2013 11:13:22 39,762 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    I must admit, after seeing some of the tech demos flying around on YouTube, I'm just as interested to see just just what the new kinect can do outside of gaming as much as the dedicated games themselves.

If the voice commands are more accurate and the noise cancelling works as well as the tech demos, they could finally be onto something. Also if the fidelity is finally there to fling menus around minority report style, along with features like recognising who's holding the controller and automatically logging them in. This could, I repeat COULD end up being something we take for granted as much as wireless pads.

Am I keen on paying 80 for the privilege, maybe not. But it's a new generation and new tech and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
    Yep, this is pretty much my standpoint on this. Like the feature where it'll log you in when you sit in front of the camera, no further input needed. Or how it can tell who is holding which pad. A few years ago that would have sounded like magic ;)

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Fake_Blood 19 Aug 2013 11:18:13 4,451 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I hope it turns off a 18+ game when it detects a 13 yo in the room.
  • Widge Moderator 19 Aug 2013 11:20:40 13,743 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    Hold on a second, Kinect 2 is coming out for Windows 8 isn't it?

If it gave some benefits, I could see me using it as an interface for that. I'd need actually get my arse in gear about getting my tiles sorted.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Deleted user 19 August 2013 11:23:17
    Post deleted
  • Bremenacht 19 Aug 2013 11:24:50 19,663 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anthony_UK wrote:
    Yes, far more so. I've been expecting Kinect to be used a an electronic-white-board device since it first came out, and similar stuff. So much stuff it could be useful for. Gaming really is the least of its potential.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Aug 2013 11:24:58 11,900 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Deleted user 19 August 2013 11:26:29
    I'm sorry ecosse. If you delete your post I will delete/edit mine. I didn't like you taking the piss out of me five minutes ago in the other thread.
  • nickthegun 19 Aug 2013 11:27:59 61,318 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Now kiss.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• neilka 19 Aug 2013 11:30:58 16,531 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just been quite sick

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Deleted user 19 August 2013 11:32:24
    nickthegun wrote:
    Now kiss.
    Tastes like talcum powder.
  • Bremenacht 19 Aug 2013 11:38:54 19,663 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Two retards = one paedo, I think. We need a slide scale.
  • neilka 19 Aug 2013 11:42:44 16,531 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Four cunts to the paedo and five twats to the cunt

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Blerk Moderator 19 Aug 2013 11:43:11 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've deleted them for you. Give up with the paedo stuff, you lot - you were all warned before by someone bigger than me.
  • mcmonkeyplc 19 Aug 2013 11:45:05 39,567 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    User Blerk is a mod now?!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Blerk Moderator 19 Aug 2013 11:50:28 48,225 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Watch it, sonny!
  • Bremenacht 19 Aug 2013 11:52:55 19,663 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc has been here almost as long as blerk! I hadn't noticed. You're older than Razz!
  • mikew1985 19 Aug 2013 11:55:13 13,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You know the delete function doesn't work though blerk?

You'd be better off deleting the content of the post than using the delete function in the future.
  • Page

of 1121 First / Last