Rumour: MS to reintroduce XBOX ONE
    May as well just call it the Xbox TWO.
    XTwo(nk)?

YES I EXPECT YOU TO SMILE MORRISS!
    :|
  • RightBean 31 Jul 2013 00:17:03 602 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    They will still get slated ,it will be another shitfest, just like all the bad press EG gave them after their E3 2005, which would be hard to beat, and nobody has done a better conference or console upgrade and introduction since then. But I guess the american sites will be cool with it, they should all be grateful the extra hits MS will be giving them really.
  • sanctusmortis 31 Jul 2013 00:30:29 9,590 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair, they have changed so much of how it works since the introduction they could probably do with a televised "reboot". It should've never come to this.
  • B0rked_Gamer 31 Jul 2013 00:36:11 1,849 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They should just drop the kinect bullshit and put it out at the same price as the PS4.
  • mikew1985 31 Jul 2013 00:38:45 12,039 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really hope they don't drop kinect.

I doubt they will but it would make the two consoles almost indistinguishable
  • B0rked_Gamer 31 Jul 2013 01:01:52 1,849 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    but think of all those exclusives
  • B0rked_Gamer 31 Jul 2013 01:02:09 1,849 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    like Halo and Forza
  • B0rked_Gamer 31 Jul 2013 01:02:28 1,849 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    and Gears of War

oh and that multiplayer only Call of Duty with robots

Edited by B0rked_Gamer at 01:04:09 31-07-2013
  • Deleted user 31 July 2013 01:09:40
    @sanctusmortis

I'm not so sure. No one does rapid consumer feedback like Microsoft. Who else would set out to waste 10s or 100millions of dollars with all the wrong choices to knowingly alienate everyone to find out exactly what customers wanted right now? No one else can afford that strategy and yet Microsoft have been using it for two decades very effectively. The problem they have with RT tablets and Windows phone is that their isn't enough wrong choices to make or customers to give them feedback of X1 quality.
  • B0rked_Gamer 31 Jul 2013 01:19:58 1,849 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
  • PenguinJim 31 Jul 2013 01:29:44 5,447 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:

Thinking more about kinect 2.0, I wonder if the reason for it being mandatory is partly to do with kinect 1.0 stock possibly being shipped to stores on sale or return terms. Fundamentally Kinect 1.0 operates more like the claims of kinect 2.0 when connected to a PC (with ample USB 3.0 bandwidth and processing time), so I'll be shocked if kinect 2.0 isn't just a recycle of kinect 1.0 hardware with a new plastic wide angle lens, a new chip on the PCB and a new plastic housing. So what if the problem they have with kinect is that they'd have to write off large amounts of existing stock everyone thought was sold to stores, and produce another hole in their balance sheet. I guess the cancelling of Kinect 2.0 would also result in a big R&D writeoffs for the acquisition of the original PrimeSense R&D software license, and now that Rare are pretty much kinect only it could result in closure of Rare and a write off for the old investment.
    I had a similar theory about the PS4's relatively low price. Now that millions of PS3s have YLOD'd due to the shoddy manufacturing, Sony might have been able to rip out a bunch of Blu-Ray diodes and stuff during the repair (at no cost to Sony to replace, as Sony's warranty only lasted a pathetic one year). So Sony might be sitting on millions of pieces of BR tech that they can recycle in the first few waves of PS4s - indeed, this might even have been part of the thinking behind the FlimsySlim. And considering the strange lack of backlash over the PS3's tiny warranty period, there's nothing to stop them from continuing to do the same thing with the PS4.

Let's just hope that, regarding the warranty at least, MS don't learn from Sony!
  • sanctusmortis 31 Jul 2013 01:40:05 9,590 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @vizzini true, but it'd be crazy to have gone through all of that just to get customer feedback.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2013 01:51:03
    @PenguinJim

Not quite the same thing though, reworking parts from unsold stock that has been returned and not yet written down, isn't quite the same as literally recycling second hand components. I'm not sure how you expect those millions of YLOD systems to get back to Sony. Even if people did pay the repair fee, the blu-ray would still go back to the customer when repaired, otherwise the console gets thrown in the bin.

It is equally strange you'd raise the YLOD issue, as the PS3 failure rate is at a level acceptable of consumer electronics devices (<15% iirc), unlike its competitor with a failure rate estimated at 30-40% for the entire 360 consoles sold.

I agree about the warrant issue however, even if it isn't a design flaw, a console should have to be built to last 3years minimum.
  • Psychotext 31 Jul 2013 01:55:09 52,772 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I see vizzini is still very much true to form.

/backs slowly away, avoiding any sudden movements
  • B0rked_Gamer 31 Jul 2013 01:56:47 1,849 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /shoves Psychotext back into thread
  • PenguinJim 31 Jul 2013 01:59:39 5,447 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    I'm not sure how you expect those millions of YLOD systems to get back to Sony. Even if people did pay the repair fee, the blu-ray would still go back to the customer when repaired, otherwise the console gets thrown in the bin.
    Like I said, Sony would replace it and it wouldn't cost anything, because the majority of the returns would be outside the warranty period and therefore paid for. They'd also suck out all the solder and replace it with cheap, common mercury (so plentiful that there's even an entire planet made of it), so that they could use the solder in new consoles.

(I was under the impression that 360 and PS3 failure rates were level-pegging in 2012, meaning the only difference was the conditional +2 years on the 360 warranty..?)
  • Psychotext 31 Jul 2013 02:08:58 52,772 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    /shoves Psychotext back into thread
    OH GOD, NO, PLEASE!
  • ubergine 31 Jul 2013 02:57:34 1,208 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I doubt they'd remove Kinect until well after launch. They will sell out at launch. If they need to boost sales later, a cheaper, Kinect-free kit would do it.

The concept that Super Kinect will be integral to any core game on the thing is just ridiculous. Any dev working on it should have their game able to work Kinect free simply to deal with an expected failure rate, let alone people who will throw a blanket over the thing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ubergine

• spindizzy 31 Jul 2013 06:26:57 6,400 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    I am still hopeful that this new plan will result in them withdrawing kinect 2.0. If they can't lower the console price but did want to replace kinect with an RT tablet running a new specific X1 os for two screen gaming, I see that as quite a decent value propositions.
    You honestly think that they'd remove the ONLY thing which makes their console stand out from the PS4, which is (slightly) more powerful? Never going to happen. And as for quickly replacing it with a Surface RT... how long do you think it'd take them to knock up a X1 OS for it? How much do you think that would cost? No way.

Thinking more about kinect 2.0, I wonder if the reason for it being mandatory is partly to do with kinect 1.0 stock possibly being shipped to stores on sale or return terms. Fundamentally Kinect 1.0 operates more like the claims of kinect 2.0 when connected to a PC (with ample USB 3.0 bandwidth and processing time), so I'll be shocked if kinect 2.0 isn't just a recycle of kinect 1.0 hardware with a new plastic wide angle lens, a new chip on the PCB and a new plastic housing.
    That makes about as much sense as saying the XBone hardware is basically a recycle of the 360, and they're pushing it to use up 360 stock. Of course they probably haven't changed absolutely everything, but the things that have changed will be the expensive items: it's still a completely new device.

Edited by spindizzy at 06:44:05 31-07-2013
  • X201 31 Jul 2013 06:35:14 14,692 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    @PenguinJim

I agree about the warrant issue however, even if it isn't a design flaw, a console should have to be built to last 3years minimum.
    Regarding warraties, both of you are falling into the trap that all electronics companies an stores want you to believe.

The manufacturer warranty is just a distraction.
    Your contract is with the store that you bought it from, it is the store's job to get it fixed for you, no matter how much they try and deny it, and attempt to palm you off onto the manufacturer.

Under European law you have a 6 year warranty on all products. Your rights under this weaken over time to allow for normal wear and tear, but they still give you 6 years cover. It is the store's legal responsibility to sort your problem, read up on your rights and stand your ground.
  • PenguinJim 31 Jul 2013 06:39:21 5,447 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's great for you Europeans, but what about us lowly Asians? :p

I'm not 100% sure that eBay would cover that warranty for me, either. ;)
  • X201 31 Jul 2013 06:48:21 14,692 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bog off to AsianGamer you bloody interloper ;-)

Theaten to drop your trousers in the shop or some such tactic. Top tip: Don't do this on a cold day.
  • PenguinJim 31 Jul 2013 06:53:51 5,447 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The manufacturer's warranty is nice to have regardless. My Canadian 360 (NTSC-US) was shipped from Taiwan to Japan to be fixed and the turnaround was well under two weeks. Sadly I'd just missed the coffin window, so it cost me 20 to ship it internationally.

And in the UK in particular, who's to say your store will still be in business in over three years? ;)

Edit: I'm sorry to have dragged us onto this dull topic! I shouldn't be surprised that vizzini took my YLOD Blu-Ray diode-harvesting post seriously, but there you go!

Edited by PenguinJim at 06:55:41 31-07-2013
  • mcmothercruncher 31 Jul 2013 07:25:19 5,704 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For what it's worth, that, Sir, was a work of genius.
  • King_Edward 31 Jul 2013 07:36:49 11,454 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Are you telling me now that my refurb PS3 isn't "soldered" using space harvested mercury?
  • PenguinJim 31 Jul 2013 09:06:21 5,447 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, no, no, we still use terrestrial mercury. We just know where to get more when it becomes less common on Earth.
  • crashVoodoo 31 Jul 2013 10:30:27 3,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does the kinect draw power from the Xbox meaning one cable or do it have its own separate plug?

I'm about to mount my TV on the wall and hide all my gear through the wall under the stairs. I need to know if need to wire in an additional plug socket behind the TV mount or not.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Dizzy 31 Jul 2013 10:37:07 2,440 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Does the kinect draw power from the Xbox meaning one cable or do it have its own separate plug?

I'm about to mount my TV on the wall and hide all my gear through the wall under the stairs. I need to know if need to wire in an additional plug socket behind the TV mount or not.
    One cable, just like Kinect now.

Edited by Dizzy at 10:37:22 31-07-2013
  • altitude2k 31 Jul 2013 10:44:43 3,145 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dizzy wrote:
    crashVoodoo wrote:

One cable, just like Kinect now.
    Depends whether you have the slim or old 360.
  • Anthony_UK 31 Jul 2013 11:31:06 2,388 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think they'll remove kinect other than an absolute last resort. One reason being they've most likely told developers currently making games that every console will have it, the other and probably more important as far as MS is concerned is that money they'd lose from the targeted advertising.

They'd rather chew their right arm off than give up the ability to sell products to you based on what you enjoy and who's in your room at the time. Whether this is a good or bad thing I'm undecided, but paying the premium for it at launch is annoying. The fact there's no full proper kinect games at launch tells you that the main focus and purpose of kinect is elsewhere.
  • Page

of 897 First / Last