Xbox One Page 239

  • Page

    of 1068 First / Last

  • sanctusmortis 28 Jun 2013 16:13:40 9,646 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That old PS3 piece is embarrassing. But all opinion pieces written about something outside of its actual normal use environment are. Tech writers wax lyrical about the amazing things that phones, TVs and all sorts of other goofy shit does constantly, and then it gets out there into consumers hands and they play Angry Birds on it.

    Here's something nobody can deny: until we actually see retail consoles used to play retail games, we can't know what they'll be like. The one lesson we need to take from previous generations is what we're promised is never what we'll get.

    Heck, even after it gets out there, the games matter. Look at the poor Vita: it was announced well, it was shown well, demo kiosks showed it off well. But it died because the software was, well, meh. People weren't willing to throw the money at it for what it offered, and IMO it deserves better.
  • Progguitarist 28 Jun 2013 16:39:29 10,479 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's talk of a GPU clock downgrade on B3D now.
  • oceanmotion 28 Jun 2013 16:44:20 16,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Xbox product planning boss Albert Penello feels that hardware analysis is “meaningless” because it’s all about the games.

    Speaking with OXM, Penello said there are very few gamers who will buy consoles for the specs alone, so there is no sense in comparing Xbox One and PS4.

    “The problem is that Sony decided to go out and publish a bunch of numbers, which are in some ways meaningless,” he said. “Because this isn’t like 1990, when it was 16-bit versus 32-bit.

    “As a matter of fact, they actually go out and they talk about how proud they are about their off-the-shelf parts. Our guys’ll say, we touched every single component in the box and everything there is tweaked for optimum performance. For me, I’d rather not even have the conversation, because it’s not going to matter.

    “The box is going to be awesome. The games are going to be awesome. I heard this exact same argument last generation and it’s a pointless argument, because people are debating things which they don’t know about. They’re not [head silicon engineer] Nick Baker or [corporate vice president of IEB hardware Todd Holmdahl], and I’m not [lead PS4 architect] Mark Cerny, so why are we having this discussion?”

    Penello feels consumers will pick a console for the games it offers, rather than for its capabilities on paper. "Here's what you care about," he said. "You bought a system to play great games and have great experiences. I feel like our games and experiences are going to be every bit as good, if not better, technically - on top of all the magic we're going to add with the instant switching, and the power of the cloud.


    Ha, that last line. Knew it was coming :D
  • mikew1985 28 Jun 2013 16:46:06 12,879 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why would they be downgrading the GPU? They would be absolutely murdered this generation if they suffer any further reduction in peak performance given the apparent advantage the ps4 already had.

    They'd nearly be better taking a bath on a bunch of shitty yields than downgrading GPU clocks.
  • ronuds 28 Jun 2013 16:47:20 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any bit of potentially positive xbox news must be countered with something negative.
  • mcmothercruncher 28 Jun 2013 16:49:22 7,200 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Xbox product planning boss Albert Penello feels that hardware analysis is “meaningless” because it’s all about the games."
    Said hardware being the key route via which those games are delivered. Would he be happy with Microsoft heading into the next generation with an x86 processor then?
  • Progguitarist 28 Jun 2013 17:02:37 10,479 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ronuds stop being defensive and sensitive about your favorite hardware manufacturer. Beyond 3D is a tech forum with no slant.
  • sanctusmortis 28 Jun 2013 17:02:57 9,646 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    "Xbox product planning boss Albert Penello feels that hardware analysis is “meaningless” because it’s all about the games."
    Said hardware being the key route via which those games are delivered. Would he be happy with Microsoft heading into the next generation with an x86 processor then?
    He's right, though. We play these things for the games, right? And we buy the machine with the games we like, yes? Not to run benchmarking tools, but to play games.
  • Progguitarist 28 Jun 2013 17:04:11 10,479 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mikew1985 50mhz down clock.
  • mikew1985 28 Jun 2013 17:07:00 12,879 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @mikew1985 50mhz down clock.
    Hmm, that would be quite shit.

    Will wait to hear more, if it's borne out more widely in a DF article or some such I'd be slightly concerned. As of now I just don't see how they could afford to further reduce clocks on any of this stuff.

    What is the reasoning behind the supposed downgrade on the forum btw?
  • ronuds 28 Jun 2013 17:07:19 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @ronuds stop being defensive and sensitive about your favorite hardware manufacturer. Beyond 3D is a tech forum with no slant.
    If you can always be negative, I can always be sensitive.
  • PenguinJim 28 Jun 2013 17:08:11 5,905 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    @ronuds stop being defensive and sensitive about your favorite hardware manufacturer. Beyond 3D is a tech forum with no slant.
    And the B3Ders are generally pretty sure there's no downclock. It was just a suggestion put forward.
  • Progguitarist 28 Jun 2013 17:11:49 10,479 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    96gb/s divided by 128 bytes = 750mhz.

    It's a mathematical deduction based on these new figures.
  • mikew1985 28 Jun 2013 17:13:38 12,879 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Isn't the figure 102.4 GB/s and rumoured to be up to 133 GB/s with the theoretical possibility of up to 192GB/s with the DF article today.

    Edited by mikew1985 at 17:14:04 28-06-2013
  • Progguitarist 28 Jun 2013 17:16:24 10,479 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ronuds No one is saying negative. It's just your Microsoft goggles that are filtering it that way.
  • ronuds 28 Jun 2013 17:20:03 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Progguitarist That's true.
  • Progguitarist 28 Jun 2013 17:22:31 10,479 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @mikew1985 you can access 128 bytes per clock cycle. fixed.
    MS is now saying that in that clock cycle you can both read from and write to eSRAM.
    They are saying this gives an effective 192GB/s
    presumably (I really don't think this is a stretch) this means you can read at 96GB/s and write at 96GB/s.
    96GB/s divided by 128 bytes = 750Mhz, on the nose.
  • King_Edward 28 Jun 2013 17:22:47 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its funny how your opinion of those pieces is generally aligned to how much of a gaylord xbox fan you are.
    Really? I can sort of follow you on the newer piece (as we haven't got hindsight to judge it by), but are you saying that anyone but the most blinkered PS3-acolyte could possibly view the 2005 one as anything but utter, utter bollocks of the very highest calibre (not to mention a disgrace to Eurogamers rep as a serious gaming site)?
    Taken out of context it's a pretty embarrassing piece. You have to be fair to Tom though, and remember that he was writing about the PS3 Sony announced, not the one they released.
  • PenguinJim 28 Jun 2013 17:24:06 5,905 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    96gb/s divided by 128 bytes = 750mhz.

    It's a mathematical deduction based on these new figures.

    That's... Love_In_Rio's suggestion. :D Unless he now represents B3D (he doesn't), it's a bit far-fetched to suggest B3D are implying a downgrade.

    Looksee:

    Love_In_Rio wrote:
    In fact isnt this news talking about a downgrade?. If clock was still 800Mhz the theorical max bandwidth if writing and reading at the same time would be 204 GB/s.They claim 192 that reversing would take us to 96 GB/s read 96 GB/s write and a clock of 750MHz.
    warb wrote:
    Apparently there is no suggestion of any downclock. It's still 800MHz for the people making X1 games.
    Markolt wrote:
    Well, the articles still states that for full read/write operations the BW is 102 GB/s, and states that there are no downclocks.
    warb wrote:
    A downdclock is not something you'd want to hide from devs. And it's not clear how they arrive at the theoretical peak for this optimisation.
    DrJay24 wrote:
    I read the 192GB/s as the eSRAM only. They mention 88% improvement, 1.88*102GB/s=191.8GB/s.
    Did I miss anything?

    And let's see what else "Beyond 3D" have to say on the subject.

    Cyan wrote:
    It gets pretty tiring to see people making fun of an article, and mocking the news when something positive has been said about the Xbox One...
    Didn't you just shoot ronuds down for saying exactly that? :D Looks like Beyond 3D are being sensitive and defensive about their favourite hardware manufacturer... fanboy bastards, right?

    Edited by PenguinJim at 17:24:48 28-06-2013
  • Progguitarist 28 Jun 2013 17:27:17 10,479 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I "shot" poor ol' ronuds down for seeing discussion about it being negative.
  • Progguitarist 28 Jun 2013 17:32:14 10,479 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Unless he now represents B3D (he doesn't), it's a bit far-fetched to suggest B3D are implying a downgrade.

    Also, I said "There's talk of..." not "implying".

    Squint harder.
  • mcmonkeyplc 28 Jun 2013 17:32:29 39,467 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does it make shiny shiny more shiny?

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • PenguinJim 28 Jun 2013 17:32:39 5,905 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Probably your strangely inaccurate phrasing. You should have said "one forum member at B3D has suggested a GPU downclock and a few other forum members have said that's not true". Slightly different to "There's talk of a GPU clock downgrade on B3D now". B3D's a good place. Please don't misrepresent the discussions there.
  • Progguitarist 28 Jun 2013 17:35:14 10,479 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't misrepresent anything. There was discussion about it on B3D if you see something else in what I posted that's not my problem.
  • PenguinJim 28 Jun 2013 17:36:37 5,905 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Progguitarist is talking about his problems in the Xbox One thread.
  • Progguitarist 28 Jun 2013 17:37:59 10,479 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PenguinJim is having a hard time understanding simple concepts.
  • PenguinJim 28 Jun 2013 17:42:16 5,905 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't get angry, it's only a games console. :) Without your tiny, slanted nudge at the start, we wouldn't have done this excellent job of reviewing the B3D discussion where they refuted the idea that the GPU had been downclocked.
  • Progguitarist 28 Jun 2013 17:45:05 10,479 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Angry? lol

    Is that you Mystic Meg?

    You are certainly very capable of interpreting things in your own special way.
  • PenguinJim 28 Jun 2013 17:46:18 5,905 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did I literally make you laugh out loud? \o/
  • Page

    of 1068 First / Last

Log in or register to reply