Xbox One Page 231

• Page

of 1041 First / Last

• JYM60 25 Jun 2013 12:04:22 16,828 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    I do find it amusing that the patch that allows you to use the console offline needs to be downloaded. So much for those without internet connections.
    So What? You Can Just Play 360.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• RightBean 25 Jun 2013 12:36:30 648 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, I think that the 360 is a good choice for people who have absolutely no internet connectivity to the point where they couldn't even download a one-off patch. It's not that bad really to target a device a people with internet access these days. Somebody without internet access shouldn't expect to be fully up to date with modern tech - the 360 is a fine HD console and you've chosen to live an alternative life where you never have internet, so that is fine for you.
  • Benno 25 Jun 2013 13:12:18 9,906 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Microsoft must be full of employees like RightBean.
  • Progguitarist 25 Jun 2013 14:40:59 10,444 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or they could, you know, buy a ps4?
  • Ryze 25 Jun 2013 15:02:14 3,124 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    'Old' me if you must, but when's the thread title being corrected?
  • CosmicFuzz 25 Jun 2013 19:00:32 24,381 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What?

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• Maturin 25 Jun 2013 19:05:09 3,006 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Or they could, you know, buy a ps4?
    You're right. There's nothing about PS3 since it's launch that ever needed patching. :)
  • Progguitarist 25 Jun 2013 20:45:30 10,444 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't be a spaz. You don't have to patch any of the games if you choose not to.
  • stevethemeat 25 Jun 2013 20:52:49 472 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No headset included with the xbox one.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/25/xbox-one-will-not-include-a-headset
  • thefilthandthefury 25 Jun 2013 20:58:26 25,025 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What a bonkers move. Will the Kinect mic be any good for gaming? Of course not.
  • Progguitarist 25 Jun 2013 20:58:43 10,444 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kinect functions as a headset.
  • neilka 25 Jun 2013 21:00:29 15,965 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It can read your lips.

Both sets if you're a lady.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• riz23 25 Jun 2013 21:03:35 1,295 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    How do you balance it on your head?
  • thefilthandthefury 25 Jun 2013 21:08:14 25,025 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    riz23 wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Tape is included in the box.
  • riz23 25 Jun 2013 21:09:31 1,295 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    riz23 wrote:
    Progguitarist wrote:
    Tape is included in the box.
    /preorders
  • spindizzy 25 Jun 2013 22:57:35 6,527 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RightBean wrote:
    Yeah, I think that the 360 is a good choice for people who have absolutely no internet connectivity to the point where they couldn't even download a one-off patch. It's not that bad really to target a device a people with internet access these days. Somebody without internet access shouldn't expect to be fully up to date with modern tech - the 360 is a fine HD console and you've chosen to live an alternative life where you never have internet, so that is fine for you.
    Twat. ^
  • RightBean 25 Jun 2013 23:20:58 648 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think it's reasonable to target a device at the mainstream who have internet connections. And if you are also manufacturing another product that doesn't require internet, it is perfectly reasonable to recommend that product to those who don't have internet.
  • mikew1985 25 Jun 2013 23:28:32 12,756 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yea, but as others have said, those people actually have the choice of a similar system without the requirement.

Some are, however, making way too much of the day one patch. I'd say a lot of the 360's that have never been connected are either because of the lack of built in wireless in the first several years of the machine or that they were bought and immediately modded to play pirated software.

I would guess that the number never connected due to a general lack of any kind of internet is negligible.
  • RightBean 25 Jun 2013 23:34:04 648 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The old original xbox games used to include dashboard updates, So if you put a game in it would update the system from disc if needed. I would be surprised if that isn't still the case. But the people complaining about the 'day one patch' probably haven't given it any thought, as they probably wouldn't be affected by it either way. ;)
  • Bremenacht 26 Jun 2013 00:07:58 18,320 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Please provide some evidence of this actually happening. If you can't, then maybe it's just as fanciful and speculative as the suggestion that RRPs would drop if 2nd hand sales didn't exist.
    Just because you don't see the results in the retail market doesn't mean the conversations aren't happening behind closed doors.
    If you're going to believe that, why not believe that Microsoft/EA/whoever had conversations about getting RRP up as high as they could by killing 2nd hand? No evidence required!

And yes, Deckneilka1, by Microsoft/EA/whoever I do mean the secret Jewish Banking Lizards, and wish to apologise to those secret overlords (of any genome) that I failed to namecheck. I doff my tinfoil to you good sirs.
  • morriss 26 Jun 2013 01:40:28 71,002 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Micr0$oftlol. XBONE! haha, that sounds funny. Everything they do is crap!
  • spindizzy 26 Jun 2013 07:08:26 6,527 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RightBean wrote:
    I think it's reasonable to target a device at the mainstream who have internet connections. And if you are also manufacturing another product that doesn't require internet, it is perfectly reasonable to recommend that product to those who don't have internet.
    What NECESSARY functionality would be impacted by making it work offline? Say I just want to play some SP games, have zero interest in chatting to 12 year olds, why does it NEED to be online?

Edit: and incidentally, I think it realistically requires broadband, so it's hardly the mainstream/majority who have that. Perhaps it's the majority of 360 owners, but I bet there is a massive percentage of them who don't have broadband too.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_broadband_Internet_subscriptions

Edited by spindizzy at 10:26:04 26-06-2013
  • Anthony_UK 26 Jun 2013 10:09:53 2,499 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm love my 360 and I was one of the beta testers for xbox live when it first started, but I'm slowly starting to lose patience with Microsoft. Not including a headset in the box is another money grabbing move pure and simple.
  • El_MUERkO 26 Jun 2013 11:54:53 17,037 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Progguitarist wrote:
    So won't that mean other players voices would be coming out of the TV speakers?

So online gaming chat can be heard by anyone who can hear the TV... well I'm sure there is absolutely no downside to that...
  • Bremenacht 26 Jun 2013 11:58:57 18,320 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh god. I hadn't thought of that. And you'll have to shout 'faggot!' back at Kinect every time! They'll have no problem selling headsets then.
  • mikew1985 26 Jun 2013 11:59:26 12,756 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    RightBean wrote:
    What NECESSARY functionality would be impacted by making it work offline? Say I just want to play some SP games, have zero interest in chatting to 12 year olds, why does it NEED to be online?

Edit: and incidentally, I think it realistically requires broadband, so it's hardly the mainstream/majority who have that. Perhaps it's the majority of 360 owners, but I bet there is a massive percentage of them who don't have broadband too.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_broadband_Internet_subscriptions
    Just had a quick look at that list (which is massively out of date - being that it's from 2010)

But Ireland is listed as below:

50.Ireland 941,405 (total number of subs) 21.06% 2010

First of all the % is madness as it seems to forget that majority of subs account for entire families.

That kind of number would indicate almost complete broadband adoption and coverage in Ireland - we've only got about 4 million people for Christ sake!

Doesn't really back up your point if the list in the link is using the same kind of spurious data to gather it's % figures for all countries.

Edited by mikew1985 at 12:00:55 26-06-2013
  • Derblington 26 Jun 2013 12:17:20 21,642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Please provide some evidence of this actually happening. If you can't, then maybe it's just as fanciful and speculative as the suggestion that RRPs would drop if 2nd hand sales didn't exist.
    Just because you don't see the results in the retail market doesn't mean the conversations aren't happening behind closed doors.
    If you're going to believe that, why not believe that Microsoft/EA/whoever had conversations about getting RRP up as high as they could by killing 2nd hand? No evidence required!
    Well, because I'm aware of one situation and not the other. Even if the industry wanted to raise the RRP, retailers would still drive it down through competition - we already pay close to half of the RRP in most places.
  • beastmaster 26 Jun 2013 12:18:08 11,418 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Oh god. I hadn't thought of that. And you'll have to shout 'faggot!' back at Kinect every time! They'll have no problem selling headsets then.
    No, it'll hear you whisper your profanities. Real quite like.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Vortex808 26 Jun 2013 12:29:35 7,156 posts
    Seen 1 second
    Registered 6 years ago
    The lack of a headset thing is a little bit annoying for me, but who used the boxed headsets anyway? They were never that great and required you to have the sound through the telly anyway.

I can only play games late at night, due to having a family, so proper headphones are a must. The biggest issue I have, is the fact that MS have altered the headset connector, so my current Turtle Beaches are redundant.

I sincerely hope they do some kind of adapter, since I would be loath to have to fork out another 50-80 to get another headset if I did opt for the nextbox.

Especially having had to recently replace my original TB headset after a wire went!

Edited by Vortex808 at 12:29:59 26-06-2013
  • oceanmotion 26 Jun 2013 12:42:17 15,958 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I remember watching a video that said they remove the background noise so voice commands work even over a blaring TV.

I imagine to some degree that will be similar for voice chat. As good as a headset, hard to see it matching.
  • Page

of 1041 First / Last