Xbox One Page 226

• Page

of 1106 First / Last

• cubbymoore 20 Jun 2013 17:09:16 36,503 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't wait for when they change the Drm policy again and people start calling it the Xbox 360.
  • Deckard1 20 Jun 2013 17:10:52 29,160 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Attack of the Internet Mongs 6

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• roz123 20 Jun 2013 17:16:26 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I am looking forward to
    Halo ONE
    Gears of War ONE
    Forza ONE
    Fable ONE
    and Kinectimals ONE
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 20 Jun 2013 17:27:08 1,913 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GUYS GUYS WAITAMINUTE.

The sequel to Perfect Dark Zero.

PERFECT DARK ONE.

It all makes sense now.
  • Maturin 20 Jun 2013 17:29:58 3,153 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RightBean wrote:
    Forza 5, I am in love with that orange. All I think about is tyre smoke, engines, and orange, smooth frame rates.. orange cars vroom vroom. And i don't even like car games really. Sony really should have made GT6 a PS4 launch title.
    Polyphony has never managed a GT launch game - not for PS2, nor PS3. It's mad really. You'd think Sony would have sorted this out a long time ago.
  • RobTheBuilder 20 Jun 2013 17:40:28 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Maturin I think Motor Toon GP 2 may have been launch, but they do seem incapable of doing it for GT... You'd think they'd have built 6 and the PS4 version at the same time.
  • Maturin 20 Jun 2013 17:51:16 3,153 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Or at some point during the development of PS2 just told Polyphony to stop. And restart the schedule to coincide with hardware launches.

It's not even as though we were waiting for complete games.

GT2 - incomplete with missing sections meaning 100% was impossible
    GT3 - lacking lots of content in the move to PS2
    GT5 - ditto
  • drip 20 Jun 2013 18:16:50 4,596 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Polyphony can make great games, but they're slow as a Daihatsu.

I think Sony chose Driveclub as launch title because they don't trust PD a second they'd deliver something soon enough.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 18:18:01 20-06-2013
  • Maturin 20 Jun 2013 18:36:43 3,153 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think you are right.
  • drip 20 Jun 2013 19:37:48 4,596 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In case of doubt, I usually am. Except most of the time.
  • Bremenacht 20 Jun 2013 22:04:04 19,367 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    :D

Bravo!
  • Bremenacht 20 Jun 2013 23:40:30 19,367 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
  • Deleted user 21 June 2013 00:00:14
    Post deleted
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 21 Jun 2013 10:06:42 1,913 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is the part I agree with:

Xbox One tried to leap to step five without doing steps one, two, three, and four. It wanted to rush us from physical media to digital media, without clearly communicating its goals, or producing a console that gave direct and tangible benefits to the consumer, or proving it could withstand the demands of a product so reliant on the Internet, or without even ensuring there was a big enough audience for it.
    I still think the future promised by the Xbox One was a good one, but it was too far, too fast. They should have introduced it by degrees over the next two years. Hell, if they'd just said "you don't need to connect to the internet if the disc is in", that would've been a good start.
  • frunk 21 Jun 2013 12:32:28 31 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MS just got too greedy with their idea of the future with the XBox One, there is no reason that the past and future can't co-exist together for now and you let your CUSTOMER dictate the speed of change.

For MS's vision to work they need us to trust them on prices, longevity, etc. Something that Valve earned with Steam. And evidence so far with MS is that they WILL keep prices artificially high to benefit themselves.

It was their policy combined with the lack of trust that made them stumble and almost fall.

I agree - some of their ideas were almost good... but even that "10 friends feature" seems like it was a bit of a lie... apparently you could only get a 1 hour demo of a game before it dumped you at the shop to buy it.

One thing that disturbs me is the lack of a "library rental service" in the MS vision... you know - the one that works well for every other creative industry embracing the "cloud": Kindle, Netflix, Spotify...

Sony seems to be heading in that direction - PSN+ games library could be seen as the first steps and Gakai will close the loop. Sony are acknowledging that an old game is not a dead game and could be worth a spin for a few quid a month. What is the XBox One plan for this type of thing?

That is how you stop people buying older used games... let them not need to by creating something more convenient and cost effective. That is how the music industry/iTunes make their cash! Work around the "GameStop" problem by being better... not by being a bastard.

That, I think, is a major flaw in their future vision - it is half formed! They need to sort that out or they will find it difficult to make up lost ground next gen.

I have no idea what the XBox exec's are paid... but it is too much!

Edit: typos as usual!

Edited by frunk at 12:35:34 21-06-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 21 Jun 2013 15:30:01 5,368 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I am chuckling to myself because there's a fair few rumours swirling around in regards to the '10 family sharing' thingummy ... it was actually essentially a one hour demo (or a trial of sorts) before you'd be prompted, after the hour is up, to buy the game.

If this is true, then I just wish to say that the game sharing idea that most folks were talking about in this very thread was just simply far too good to be true. Microsoft never even mentioned the blooming thing during their E3 conference.

A brilliant idea like this would be shouted from the rooftops, over and over and over again!

... could someone very politely explain to me in simple layman terms why blooming loads of independent studios are quite happy to have a moan at Microsoft? All I keep reading is something to do with finding a publisher; is that a bad thing?
  • altitude2k 21 Jun 2013 15:34:01 4,833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If it's Phil Fish, he can go fuck himself. MS made him a fortune, and then bent their rules for him, yet he still went on to whinge and whine about updating Fez because he didn't get it right the first time round.
  • CharlieStCloud 21 Jun 2013 15:40:05 5,368 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    altitude2k wrote:
    If it's Phil Fish, he can go fuck himself. MS made him a fortune, and then bent their rules for him, yet he still went on to whinge and whine about updating Fez because he didn't get it right the first time round.
    Erm ... well, I was reading an article about this Lanning guy who is part of the Oddworld Inhabitants studio, I believe? He wasn't awfully cheerful about Microsoft and their policies, which is what I would kind of like to know about, seeing as they appear to make independent studios happily have a moan at them.
  • Psychotext 21 Jun 2013 15:44:30 54,798 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fishy is indeed a cunt, Lanning hates Microsoft because he feels they fucked him in the Xbox days.

But at least Lanning genuinely has a real reason for grievance.

Edited by Psychotext at 15:45:20 21-06-2013
  • mrpon 21 Jun 2013 15:45:32 29,419 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ^^ Yoda

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• RightBean 21 Jun 2013 15:47:31 662 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    greed and impatient. we are already moving towards 100% digital where they will have all the control they want, yet they just can't wait to rush us and get our proverbial knickers down. They should instead be pleased at the adoption of digital download and the acceptance of less freedom that the consumer has with that, and if they want to hurry it along they could do other things to encourage digital download over buying disks...
  • robthehermit 21 Jun 2013 15:49:11 4,254 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have to say I'm a little gutted that I won't get to play the Oddworld remake.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• freedumb 21 Jun 2013 15:59:58 1,112 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • King_Edward 21 Jun 2013 16:39:16 11,467 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

... could someone very politely explain to me in simple layman terms why blooming loads of independent studios are quite happy to have a moan at Microsoft? All I keep reading is something to do with finding a publisher; is that a bad thing?
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/article/xbox-one-vs.-indies-microsoft-bullies-developers-into-signing-with-publishe

Basically developers in a position to publish their own work are having to give away a chunk of their prospective earnings, not just on Xbox, but on all systems.
  • King_Edward 21 Jun 2013 16:41:23 11,467 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    I have to say I'm a little gutted that I won't get to play the Oddworld remake.
    Why not? It's on everything except Xbox.
  • morriss 21 Jun 2013 16:44:56 71,283 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I see Bramwell has now taken it upon himself to strip every pro-DRM argument to fit his own insular view on the subject.

One-man crusade.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Jun 2013 16:48:52 11,678 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I see Bramwell has now taken it upon himself to strip every pro-DRM argument to fit his own insular view on the subject.

One-man crusade.
    Didn't you play at being a gaming journalist?

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• morriss 21 Jun 2013 16:49:47 71,283 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't, no. Why?

Also, please don't misuse the word journalist. They're reporters and enthusiast writers. There's no journalistic merit to 90% of the stuff on this site.

Some of those Sunday retrospectives were, however - and tellingly,they weren't written by staff.

Edited by morriss at 16:51:32 21-06-2013
  • Progguitarist 21 Jun 2013 16:57:08 10,507 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud Of course there were going to be caveats. Anyone who genuinely believed that you'd be allowed to share a FULL game with 10 people was beyond naive.

As for the other question, there's a great article on Penny Arcade about it.
  • Page

of 1106 First / Last