Xbox One Page 8

• Page

of 1038 First / Last

• ModishNouns 6 Jan 2012 14:53:18 4,655 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Our 10 year old son has started using the "I can't save here!" thing on us.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 6 Jan 2012 15:47:15 7,010 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Pac-man-ate-my-wife wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote:
    if everyhting is on one box, what happens when that box breaks? You lose all entertainment.

This is the equivalent of the old, cassette, radio and TV in one units back in the 80's
    That's the "the cloud" is for.
    For saving yeah but how do you watch TV though if the box is broke
    Ah, sorry - I get you, I thought you meant 'what happens to all the stuff on the box' not 'what do you do of an evening if it all goes kaput'!

Anyway, surely that's what smartphones are for? ;)

Alternatively get one of these for backup: http://www.amazon.co.uk/FREEVIEW-RECEIVER-RECORDER-DIGITAL-MEMORY/dp/B003YT5XLU/
  • Ryze 6 Jan 2012 16:01:12 3,124 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep - so I've decided that for me to even CONSIDER the next Xbox or PS console before 2015-17, then it needs to have 4GB RAM minimum (ideally 8GB) and a flash cache for performance.

If not then they'd better have something mighty appealing over simply showing graphics that look like next year's latest nVidia card. Not enough.
  • Ryze 7 Jan 2012 17:40:57 3,124 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    What else could they possibly add now. Books or something. A weather tile. 3D ads. oh I know, Avatar pets, easy money. Yeah, your right, they will find stuff that adds amazing value which is found free on every other platform known to man.
    Shopping.

I expect to see a Kinect capable shopping app on 360 (or an integrated Kinect TV set) within the next 3 years.

Clothes shopping on Kinect, where you can try things on or have the sensor estimate the right dress size for women has got to be in the R&D phase at the moment.

Surely they're looking for more methods following Bejeweled, Music/Movies, Kinect, Your Shape and Dance Central, to REALLY pull the 'non-gamer' ladies into console use in a big way.

MS, Google and Apple in the TV space isn't a bad thing at all IMHO, as everything 'interactive' I've seen on TV over the years has been shite.

Those big 3 can do it properly. Sony can already do the hardware, but in terms of software and services...? Nah. If Sony Bravias get some form of PSN access, with PS Minis, PS one games, the video store and music unlimited, then that will be a massive achievement for Sony. I can't see it happening either soon, or with a decent user experience based on their track record, however.

MS's main concern right now is not to alienate their best and highest spending customers by doing what they've just done, and relegated gaming on their console via the dash, and the lack of first-party non casual releases.

I very much think that an E3 announcement of a new console, along with a slew of exciting new next-gen games is on its way to satisfy the 'core'. I still don't think we'll see a new console until the end of 2013 at the very earliest, however.

They need to also patch the dashboard to make browsing to and through XBLA and XBLIG stores more intuitive. It's currently buried, with some strange decisions made in terms of navigation and filtering.

Edited by Ryze at 17:42:37 07-01-2012
  • oceanmotion 8 Jan 2012 21:31:23 15,949 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Could be a tablet dock thing
  • Retroid Moderator 8 Jan 2012 21:36:33 44,752 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Metro "screams to be touched" - or pointed at with Kinect. A tablet would be pretty pointless when they've got that tech - with snippets leaking out about Kinect 2's capabilities - to push with it.
  • oceanmotion 8 Jan 2012 21:45:31 15,949 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    True but perhaps they want some portability and tablets seem hot right now. I think it's probably just XBL on Windows or something rather than a dedicated device. Cost alone probably torpedoes this rumour.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Jan 2012 21:55:17 6,654 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sounds like an overly complicated setup.
  • Ryze 9 Jan 2012 12:26:49 3,124 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep - although I wouldn't be surprised if Windows 8 tablets could pair with the next Xbox in some manner, in a more meaningful way than Windows Phone 7 does now.

THAT'd make them both more desirable.
  • Darren 9 Jan 2012 12:35:45 8,835 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ToOldToGame wrote:
    Sadly 'better graphics' will probably be the main focus with the next generation of consoles.
    Agreed.

When you look back at this generation the games haven't really changed or advanced that much over the previous generation ones; we can play games in HD (sadly, not always true), 3D (which means compromises) and motion-controls have become popular with both Sony and Microsoft. Physics and A.I. have improved but not to the extent that I was expecting and online gaming is supposedly more popular than ever. Ultimately, though we're still playing the same old games as before. I expect the next generation will just be more of the same, only prettier.

Personally, I'm not hugely excited about the next generation systems at the moment as I'm sure any announcements at E3 or CES will sound great but turn out to be empty promises, just like the last, and most of the launch games and stuff released in the first 18 months will be rubbish as developers struggle to get to grips with new and more complex hardware. And the next Xbox (and to a lesser extent PS) will still breakdown when you least expect it to and it'll be made with shoddy, cheap parts. It'll be quieter though because it'll have Blu-ray. ;)

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• oceanmotion 9 Jan 2012 15:43:22 15,949 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Might not be related and old news but didn't want to create a new thread. Rare Kart Racer or recent rumblings of PGR5. I miss that series. Maybe it's just Kinect Sports : Season 3. MCV also saying GRID2.

Twycross 2 December 2011 Rare is delighted to announce a series of senior appointments to strengthen the already impressive team behind Kinect Sports: Season Two, the most recent iteration in Kinect's best-selling series.

No less than four senior hires have joined the company in the last month. Andrew Dennison has been appointed Software Director and joins the studio fresh from Codemasters, where he spent the last 10 years as Lead Programmer. His most recent project was DiRT 3.

Jon Vincent is now Rare's Studio Audio Director. He joins the company from Ubisoft Reflections, where he was Audio Director for Driver: San Francisco. He has also worked at Midway and Pivotal Games.

Danny Isaac is another boost to the team, taking on an Executive Producer role. Most recently, Danny was Studio Manager at Relentless Software. Prior to this he was Head of Development for EA Korea, and worked on several iterations of FIFA while at EA Canada.

Last but not least, Peter Ridgway will be Rare's new Technical Art Director. Peter joins from Codemasters where he was responsible for future Art technology; he has also worked in Lead roles at Sony Europe.

In announcing these four new additions to the Rare and Microsoft Studios team, Senior Studio Director Craig Duncan said: "Everyone at Rare welcomes the skills and input of some of the industry's most exciting people as we boost an already strong talent base with these latest hires. We have big ambitions here at the studio, and industry professionals such as Andrew, Jon, Danny and Peter will help ensure we fulfil them. This is the latest step in Rare's continued evolution and we have plans to further augment our team over the coming months. As a first party Microsoft studio, our mission is to attract the brightest and best talent in the business; these four appointments demonstrate that we are well on our way to achieving this."
  • oceanmotion 19 Jan 2012 14:43:38 15,949 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Link

Microsoft confirmed Cutler's new position at Microsoft with an official statement saying:

Dave is one of our brightest minds and is currently working on projects that will help advance our goals in the consumer space as we continue to grow the Xbox from a game-centric console to a complete home entertainment device.

Culter first came to Microsoft back in 1988. He is best known for leading the development team for Windows NT. Launched in 1993, it was the first fully 32-bit version of Windows. Culter also helped to port Windows to work on AMD's 64-bit processor architecture and also helped with the creations of the 64-bit versions of Windows XP Pro and Windows Server 2003.
    Interesting appointment. Confirms their direction even more but that's no secret now.
  • Chopsen 19 Jan 2012 15:05:18 15,995 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't think simply by being a multi-function device gamers are going to be put off. Look at the PC!

Edited by Chopsen at 15:05:33 19-01-2012
  • Psychotext 19 Jan 2012 15:13:46 54,202 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He's trying to insinuate that Microsoft is going all casual with the next machine and that there wont be anything "discerning gamers" want.
  • Lexx87 19 Jan 2012 15:14:41 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As long as the 'gaming' component is strong, i'm more than happy for them to make it a home entertainment devide rather than simply a games machine.

Speak the truth hussy!

• oceanmotion 19 Jan 2012 15:15:44 15,949 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, it will still have games. Need something for COD, Halo etc. to play on.

A set top box with Kinect controls and handset just to be safe would be quite a good sell with all the services and content they are getting now, plus basic Xbox Live Kinect games. Have another SKU that features the core gaming hardware. Shouldn't bleed money that way and they have two markets catered too.
  • Lexx87 19 Jan 2012 15:22:24 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What I really want is to be able to transfer the entirety of my 360 content, games, MS points, save games, everything, to the new console.

Not quite sure how much of a pipe dream that is.

Speak the truth hussy!

• mcmonkeyplc 19 Jan 2012 15:27:44 39,457 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's first post I've seen from you ecosse that doesn't deride the xbox or MS as shit.

You've learnt well.

:)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• oceanmotion 19 Jan 2012 15:29:58 15,949 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't see why not. Avatar and dashboard themes, well, that could go either way. They will probably make the new ones look so much better, that it makes your content look crap and say, you can use it but we aren't going to upgrade it for you which is fair enough and then people sit back and think, I spent money on that. /picard

Games and DLC. It will work. They just won't screw that.

USB sticks for saves and transfer cable for content if you don't want to download it again.
  • mcmonkeyplc 19 Jan 2012 15:35:12 39,457 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    That's first post I've seen from you ecosse that doesn't deride the xbox or MS as shit.

You've learnt well.

:)
    I've posted many great things about the 360, I love mine!
    I've been playing shitloads on it for the past few years..
    Oh I just remember you being a wii fanboy, then getting a PS3 and explaining how great that is compared to the xbox before finally getting an xbox and then complaining about some random shit.

You got there in the end though :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mikew1985 19 Jan 2012 15:39:15 12,741 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LaFlamaBlanca wrote:
    Lexx87 wrote:
    What I really want is to be able to transfer the entirety of my 360 content, games, MS points, save games, everything, to the new console.

Not quite sure how much of a pipe dream that is.
    Yeah I was thinking the same with PS4, will Sony make me pay for all my PSN games and PS3 games (sonic generations, Crysis etc) bought online again ? or will I just be able to redownload them for free ?
    If either or indeed both don't perform this absolutely necessary task at launch they'll both have failed.

Needs to work just as iPhone and Android and other dl accounts/distributors work other wise I will be an extremely unhappy bunny.
  • Lexx87 19 Jan 2012 15:44:52 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It would be incredibly stupid if you couldn't. Your Live account, Friends Lists, all of it should all come across with you.

Speak the truth hussy!

• ronuds 19 Jan 2012 15:49:47 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    He's trying to insinuate that Microsoft is going all casual with the next machine and that there wont be anything "discerning gamers" want.
    They've been "going all casual" for the last couple of years sadly but there will be plenty of great stuff without a doubt.
    How much of it you won't find on a PC remains to be seen though..
    I think next gen will be better than the last few years have been for "core" gamers (even though I think the last few years have been pretty good).

Since Kinect will be included with every unit, we won't have this divide in "kinect only" vs. "no kinect" games. I'm thinking every game will probably have some type of Kinect functionality, with my only fear being whether or not they make it optional. Of course, you'll still have your Kinect-only games, but MS won't have to be as focused on selling Kinect as much as they will be on selling the entire XBOX package.

I doubt the core games that have Kinect functionality built in will be nearly as dumbed down as the fearmongers will have us believe.
  • Page

of 1038 First / Last