Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Purple Rain - Prince 10/10

Perfect pop record. No fillers.
  • OllyJ 24 Nov 2011 09:13:44 3,245 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Alcest - Ecailles De Lune 9/10

Can't stop listening to this, it's become my new "Go To" record, originally formed to become a bleak and raw Black Metal band, what they represent now couldn't be further away from that (well ok it could).

Totally moving beautiful music, long songs and just pretty much a perfect album.

It is a bit "shoegazey" and that, but I can't get enough.
  • Blakester 24 Nov 2011 09:26:57 3,567 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    When We On - Crazy P 9/10

Another wonderful slice of laid-back, souldful disco grooves. Great vocals, it's the sound of Soho, New York via Nottingham, England.

A great follow-up to A Night on Earth.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• Trafford 24 Nov 2011 09:29:15 5,610 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Girls- Father, Son and the Holy Ghost.

Shoegaze indie pop meets 70's rock.
    On first listen it seems over long and meh. I stuck with it and I reckon its the best conventional Pop/Rock album I've heard in a long time.
    Some really epic songs, well produced masterpiece.
    9/10

Edited by Trafford at 20:52:09 25-11-2011
  • LFMartins 25 Nov 2011 15:21:47 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Horrible Crowes - Elise

Stumbled into this the other and itīs an absolutely brilliant debut album from The Horrible Crowes. Thereīs not a single weak song in the whole album.
    Itīs the best album Iīve heard all year.

10/10

• MadCaddy13 25 Nov 2011 15:26:22 1,856 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Disturbed - Asylum

Awesome riffage the songs just make you wanna rock out

9/10
  • FuzzyDuck 26 Nov 2011 17:01:24 3,890 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet 10/10

Probably my favourite from PT.

'Anesthetize' and 'Way Out Of Here' are of a particular magnificence.
    i need to listen to this again. I didn't really like some of the lyrics - sonething about xboxs ! but i quite like sentimental (even if it is trains part 2)
    I dont think Steven Wilson has ever been the strongest lyricist. Though conceptually, Fear of a Blank Planet is largely based from a childs viewpoint of growing up in a modern world, so the lyrics work just fine.

Anyway, musically its aces. I suggest you get the fuck on it!
    Indeed, Harrison really shines on this too, what a drummer.

Anyway, been listening to Evile's 'Five Serpent's Teeth'. On repeat.

Prolly the best thrash album since Dark Angel's 'Time Does Not Heal', which is what, 2 decades old now?

10/10
  • gimo80 30 Nov 2011 13:23:08 130 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics
    Been getting into these guys properly over the last while, some fine, brain melting pop. 9/10

i saw these guys (and met wayne coyne! ) at the eden project earlier on in the year. Superb, probably the most fun i have had a gig, def in my top 3, maybe even my favourite.
    Seen the Lips twice now! I actually felt like I reached enlightenment afterwards, just so so inspiring. Loved the fact they all came out of a gaping vagina and then Wayne crowdsurfed in a giant bubble, just incredible. (Oh yeah and I met Wayne afterwards, got my photo taken with him and my ticket signed!! Gaahhh!)

Anyways, I digress.

Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow

-Probably my favourite album this year. Each song is meticulously crafted and beautifully composed, sending the listener into some weird euphoric trance. No-ne creates a winter wonderland better than Kate, absolutely brilliant album. 9/10.
  • FuzzyDuck 30 Nov 2011 22:34:24 3,890 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    gimo80 wrote:
    joelstinton wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics
    Been getting into these guys properly over the last while, some fine, brain melting pop. 9/10

i saw these guys (and met wayne coyne! ) at the eden project earlier on in the year. Superb, probably the most fun i have had a gig, def in my top 3, maybe even my favourite.
    Seen the Lips twice now! I actually felt like I reached enlightenment afterwards, just so so inspiring. Loved the fact they all came out of a gaping vagina and then Wayne crowdsurfed in a giant bubble, just incredible. (Oh yeah and I met Wayne afterwards, got my photo taken with him and my ticket signed!! Gaahhh!)

Anyways, I digress.

Kate Bush - 50 Words for Snow

-Probably my favourite album this year. Each song is meticulously crafted and beautifully composed, sending the listener into some weird euphoric trance. No-ne creates a winter wonderland better than Kate, absolutely brilliant album. 9/10.
    Holy crap that sounds like some gig!

Didn't realise the new Kate Bush was out. Thought Aerial was brilliant, very mellow, but still confident and assured. Think i'll throw on The Sensual World now, haven't spun that in ages (probably her most underrated record, doesn't have the same scope as Hounds, but the songs are certainly there).
  • BillMurray 30 Nov 2011 22:52:55 7,604 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    Purple Rain - Prince 10/10

Perfect pop record. No fillers.
    /thread
  • coastal 30 Nov 2011 23:14:24 5,377 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Kate Bush is bringing out another album next year. Her accountant must have shown her the difference 30 years without an album compared to the odd year with.

The only newish album I've really listened to is King Post Kitsch's The Party's Over. Folksy rock to give you a general direction. Fante's last stand being the best of a good bunch.

8/10 of course.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• OllyJ 1 Dec 2011 10:11:29 3,245 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck - Skeletonwitch - Forever Abomination and The New "Warbringer" album.

Get on it.

Oh and Lich King.

Thrash!
  • mal 30 Mar 2012 11:40:27 22,332 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Los Campesinos! with We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed, thanks to a recommendation in the old thread, from Koz I think.

When I first put it on my first response was 'what is this noisy shit?'. It didn't seem to have the energy of their earlier tracks like 'Death to Los Campesinos', but in fact it was already too late, and I'd find melodies and riffs off the tracks I'd barely listened to going round in my head at all hours. The only solution is to get to know the album well enough that the songs in my head sound right, hence I am now listening to it.

It does help that it's not really an album, at only half a CDs length, but with ten tracks it feels like a concentrated album. Which means you can listen to it twice as often :)

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• figgis 30 Mar 2012 12:13:36 7,383 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Uncle Acid and The Deadbeats - Blood Lust 8/10

Ace 70's Hammer Horror Heavy Metal for those who thought Sabbath lost it after vol.4.
  • cheeky_prawnking 30 Mar 2012 12:56:29 4,248 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Love at First Sting - Scorpions 8/10

Couple of by the numbers tracks, but the good tracks are brilliant, stone cold classics.
  • IronGiant 13 Apr 2012 23:47:03 4,473 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Madonna - MDNA 3/10 Utter toss, i did like some of her previous albums so i'm not a hater but this new album is rubbish in pretty much every way.

Lost Prophets - Weapons 5/10 Sadly not a lot to recommend here either, just average pop/rock with none of their earlier invention or aggression.

The Qemists - Join The Q 9/10 Cracking electronic/d&b music, loses a point as there's the odd track i skip but some real banging tunes on here.

High Contrast - The Agony and The Ecstasy 8/10 Not just d&b (which some of the hardcore fans have bleated about) and more a mixture of d&b, dance, electronic music. Some outstanding tracks on here, Almost Human is a personal fave and is like Massive Attack gone d&b. Couple of tracks i'm not that keen on hence 8.
  • IronGiant 15 Oct 2012 21:20:18 4,473 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Killers - Battle Born 4/10 Dull dull dull.
    Orbital - Wonky 8/10 Apart from one or two tracks a real return to form.
    Muse - The 2nd Law 6/10 From a first listen, it's the usual operatic rock but unfortunately there's not a lot of rock!
    Pet Shop Boys - Elysium 5/10 Average all the way, not a patch on their early albums.
  • Raiko101 16 Oct 2012 01:08:54 6,054 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't think The Killers new album is anything amazing, but i'm liking half of that album quite a lot. Seems to be the case with all their albums for me. Half great, half not so great.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• FuzzyDuck 16 Oct 2012 02:42:20 3,890 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Y Kant Tori Read (Tori Amos) - 'Y Kant Tori Read' 9/10

Some awesome lost 80s pop gems on this. I can see why she disowns the record (the lyrics are either throw away pop, or have a real subservient bent that is distinctively not her. At least she played 'Cool On Your Island' live in 2005 when i caught her live.
  • Vortex808 16 Oct 2012 08:59:34 6,933 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I don't think The Killers new album is anything amazing, but i'm liking half of that album quite a lot. Seems to be the case with all their albums for me. Half great, half not so great.
    :)

Yeah, that's my exact thoughts on them too. I haven't heard the new one, but the couple of albums I have seem the same to me too.

First side great, second half pretty grim. If it was on lp it wouldn't seem so bad, you just don't flip it over.
  • boo 16 Oct 2012 09:53:18 11,703 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Y Kant Tori Read (Tori Amos) - 'Y Kant Tori Read' 9/10

Some awesome lost 80s pop gems on this. I can see why she disowns the record (the lyrics are either throw away pop, or have a real subservient bent that is distinctively not her. At least she played 'Cool On Your Island' live in 2005 when i caught her live.
    Fuzzy - been keeping an eye out for that for years. Where did you find it?

Just Another Lego Blog

• LockeTribal 16 Oct 2012 10:54:44 4,490 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Two Door Cinema Club - "Beacon" 9/10

Wonderful, energetic second album from the Bangor men. Less cohesive as an album than "Tourist History", but the songs are individually stronger in my opinion.
  • mikew1985 16 Oct 2012 10:58:37 12,584 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Grizzly Bear - Sheilds

Grizzletastic.

9/10

Edited by mikew1985 at 10:59:00 16-10-2012
  • FuzzyDuck 16 Oct 2012 20:55:37 3,890 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @boo

Lamentably it's only a reasonable quality copy i own of it that a friend bought for me about 7 years ago (and despite being a copy it still set them back upwards of €25!).

Would love to own an original version of it, but it goes for obscene money.
  • monkehhh 16 Oct 2012 21:00:50 3,266 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @boo It's on 'special' download sites, sounds like it's very expensive to buy!
  • UncleLou Moderator 30 Oct 2012 17:42:02 35,421 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Psychedelic Pill

Definitely their best record since Sleeps with Angels. Possibly - and I don't say that lightly - the best album they have ever made. And that's coming form someone who hasn't bothered with their last few records at all.

• Vortex808 30 Oct 2012 20:04:57 6,933 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Psychedelic Pill

Definitely their best record since Sleeps with Angels. Possibly - and I don't say that lightly - the best album they have ever made.

Oooh. Interesting.

His autobiography's supposed to be rather good too.

I guess I'll have to buy it from my local independent record store (which is sadly not in a good way) when I go in to pick up Soundgarden's new one.

Bleedin' HMV, Tesco etc

Edited by Vortex808 at 20:07:02 30-10-2012
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next