Rate the last album you listened to out of 10

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • IronGiant 16 Nov 2011 21:48:22 4,490 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kasabian - Velociraptor 8/10
    Better than i expected, couple of tracks i wasn't too keen on but overall a good listen.

Justice - Audio Video Disco
    5/10 Very disappointed after their last album, tracks just aren't as interesting or clever.
  • Kosmoz 16 Nov 2011 21:55:07 7,666 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Johnny Foreigner vs You 10/10
    Best thing ever

Los Campesinos! - Hello Sadness 7/10
    It's a grower and has also improved since I heard the songs live. Will probably be a 9 in a few weeks.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• Deleted user 16 November 2011 22:08:21
    Insomnium - One For Sorrow 9.5/10

Metal album of the year for me.
  • Nanocrystal 16 Nov 2011 22:09:50 1,013 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    M83 - Hurry Up, We're Dreaming 7/10

Some really pretty tracks, but quite a bit of filler in the back half. My first listen, though, so it may grow on me.
  • Deleted user 16 November 2011 22:11:43
    Soulsavers - Broken 7/10

The Mark Lanegan songs are all either 9 or 10s but the album tails off toward the end a little too much.
  • Tom_Servo 16 Nov 2011 22:18:21 17,552 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Kosmoz wrote:
    It's a grower and has also improved since I heard the songs live. Will probably be a 9 in a few weeks.
    I can't get excited about this for some reason. Couldn't even be bothered listening to the NPR stream.
  • FuzzyDuck 16 Nov 2011 23:17:59 4,032 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Deicide - The Stench of Redemption
    Some blistering lead playing from Ralph Santola, probably their second best album after the self titled debut (although it certainly is more dynamic). 9/10

The Flaming Lips - At War With The Mystics
    Been getting into these guys properly over the last while, some fine, brain melting pop. 9/10

Sqaurepusher - Numbers Lucent (so it's an EP and i cheated)
    Some quality tuneage, always puts me in the mood to play Streets of Rage 2 :) 8/10
  • Trafford 16 Nov 2011 23:36:49 5,739 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Antlers- Burst Apart
    8/10 and a grower as well.
  • IronGiant 17 Nov 2011 10:19:39 4,490 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PWEI - New Noise Designed By A Sadist - 4/10
    Very disappointed by this and not a patch on their earlier stuff, without Clint the band is nowhere near as good. Only one standout track for me 'Disguise' the rest are instantly forgettable.
  • Kosmoz 17 Nov 2011 10:24:26 7,666 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Kosmoz wrote:
    I can't get excited about this for some reason. Couldn't even be bothered listening to the NPR stream.
    There are some great songs on it, and with time it will become brilliant. Quite different to rib, but you start to expect that with each LC! album now. Breaking up has clearly left Gareth a bit angry and upset.

• figgis 17 Nov 2011 10:24:30 7,376 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IronGiant wrote:
    Very disappointed by this and not a patch on their earlier stuff, without Clint the band is nowhere near as good. Only one standout track for me 'Disguise' the rest are instantly forgettable.
    There's only Graham left out of the original line up, not just Clint missing.
  • AccidentProne 17 Nov 2011 10:42:22 1,162 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kosmoz wrote:
    Best thing ever
    Ooh, didn't realise they had a new album out. How's this compare to their previous stuff? I loved Waited Up, but wasn't as keen on Grace... I saw them a couple of months back in Cambridge and they were pretty poor, but that was mostly down to the venue (I think), they've always been a bit hit and miss for me live.
  • Vortex808 17 Nov 2011 10:43:04 7,075 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    figgis wrote:
    IronGiant wrote:
    There's only Graham left out of the original line up, not just Clint missing.

Really? Ah well, I'll skip it then. Shame. I used to love the Poppies.

Must dig out "This is the day...." when i get home for some nostalgia.
  • IronGiant 17 Nov 2011 12:18:35 4,490 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I still love the Poppies just not this reincarnation of them.
  • Raiko101 17 Nov 2011 15:03:24 6,219 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

Been getting into these guys properly over the last while, some fine, brain melting pop. 9/10

A great album, but the weakest of the 'big four' in my opinion. Not to take anything away from it, it's just the other 3 are stupidly brilliant. Anyways...

The Suburbs - Arcade Fire
    If I was to sit down and think about listing my all-time favourite albums, this might well make the top 10. 66 minutes of pure, consistent brilliance.
    No filler. No single track sounds out of place. The majority of the tracks are the finest they've ever written. I love it!

10/10

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Kosmoz 17 Nov 2011 21:00:25 7,666 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Kosmoz wrote:
    Best thing ever
    Ooh, didn't realise they had a new album out. How's this compare to their previous stuff? I loved Waited Up, but wasn't as keen on Grace... I saw them a couple of months back in Cambridge and they were pretty poor, but that was mostly down to the venue (I think), they've always been a bit hit and miss for me live.
    Their show at Off The Cuff in summer was the best gig I've ever been too, and a few mates went to their album launch gigs last weekend, and it was also supposedly the best thing ever. But then, us lot are probably the biggest JoFo fans around. We buy all the crap they sell. Regarding the album, there are still similarities to the first album, but a good few slower songs. They have changed a fair bit, but are still as awesome as ever. You should probably listen and judge for yrself though, because as I say, I'm one of the hardcore.

• FuzzyDuck 18 Nov 2011 00:20:12 4,032 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

A great album, but the weakest of the 'big four' in my opinion. Not to take anything away from it, it's just the other 3 are stupidly brilliant. Anyways...

The Suburbs - Arcade Fire
    If I was to sit down and think about listing my all-time favourite albums, this might well make the top 10. 66 minutes of pure, consistent brilliance.
    No filler. No single track sounds out of place. The majority of the tracks are the finest they've ever written. I love it!

10/10
    Agree with you there Raiko. Intending to have a Lips marathon over the weekend.

And i agree with you with about The Suburbs too. Been a big fan of AF since the self titled EP, but let this slip by me for some unknown reason. Spotted it a few weeks ago and figured i'd get back up to speed.

Holy hell i was missing out. Some expertly crafted songs, and some really evocative music/lyrics. I can practically feel my youth slipping away listening to the title track and its reprise.

10//10 from me too.
  • Progguitarist 18 Nov 2011 01:04:46 10,420 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My own album. I give myself 10/10 cause no one else will :p
  • IronGiant 18 Nov 2011 09:55:33 4,490 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Must be good then, is it on iTunes? ;)
  • Zerobob 18 Nov 2011 10:00:02 1,605 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Snow Patrol - Fallen Empires - 5/10

Has some well written songs on it, but the style is aweful and I was left disappointed. The songs they performed on Jools Holland with raw instruments were far better.
  • Flightrisker 18 Nov 2011 10:15:55 18,138 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Distraction Pieces - Scroobius Pip - 7/10

Some really good tracks and some quality lyrics, but one or two of the songs just don't work for me. Nice having a song with Sage Francis, very interesting cover of Kate Bush's Feel It at the end too. Worth a listen for sure.
  • Flightrisker 18 Nov 2011 10:22:36 18,138 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IronGiant wrote:

Justice - Audio Video Disco
    5/10 Very disappointed after their last album, tracks just aren't as interesting or clever.
    Ah it wasn't just me then. Very meh.
  • Deleted user 19 November 2011 20:28:38
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

i saw these guys (and met wayne coyne! ) at the eden project earlier on in the year. Superb, probably the most fun i have had a gig, def in my top 3, maybe even my favourite.

John Frusciante - The Empyrean
    9/10

Havn't decided where to place it alongside the sublime Curtains and Will to death, but its up there, been listening to this album alot lately.
  • IronGiant 19 Nov 2011 23:40:45 4,490 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nitzer Ebb - Industrial Complex 8/10
    As a fan this is just what i wanted, back to their best with some great tracks. Wish i'd seen them live on their recent tour.
  • Deleted user 21 November 2011 16:07:12
    Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet 10/10

Probably my favourite from PT.

'Anesthetize' and 'Way Out Of Here' are of a particular magnificence.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2011 10:52:34
    TearYouAsunder wrote:

i need to listen to this again. I didn't really like some of the lyrics - sonething about xboxs ! but i quite like sentimental (even if it is trains part 2)
  • Deleted user 22 November 2011 19:13:10
    joelstinton wrote:
    TearYouAsunder wrote:

i need to listen to this again. I didn't really like some of the lyrics - sonething about xboxs ! but i quite like sentimental (even if it is trains part 2)
    I dont think Steven Wilson has ever been the strongest lyricist. Though conceptually, Fear of a Blank Planet is largely based from a childs viewpoint of growing up in a modern world, so the lyrics work just fine.

Anyway, musically its aces. I suggest you get the fuck on it!

Edited by TearYouAsunder at 19:15:49 22-11-2011
  • IronGiant 23 Nov 2011 09:42:44 4,490 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Slash & Friends 7/10
    Not bad at all, some very good collaborations.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous