The Hunger Games Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • varsas 30 Apr 2013 12:42:53 2,373 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    Nine chapters into the first book. Could someone confirm/deny that the portrayal of the protagonist as a whiny, self-important little brat is intentional, because if it isn't, I'm genuinely concerned for the sanity of the author. I mean, YA or not, it's a story about kidnapped children forced to fight to the death for the entertainment value of others. Having an (allegedly) impoverished child squee over her fabulous gemstone dresses and throw hissy fits because the decadent aristocracy aren't paying her enough attention, despite them forcing her and other children into a fight to the death is, well, more than a little jarring.
    Eh? I don't remember Katniss going crazy about her dresses in the book. She certainly appreciates them but in no way does she go all girly since she's not that type. As for throwing a hissy fit about not having enough attention? Again I don't remember that; she short tempered and if it's to do with the attention from the crowd then it's explained that that attention is required to succeed in the games and nothing more.

Daryoon wrote:
    The thing is ... the whole story becomes a hideous hypocritical mess if it doesn't properly address the issues behind the whole murder-games thing. The reader (and author) inevitably becomes the very thing the narrative is antagonising. I mean, if that's the point, it's actually pretty clever ... but I get the feeling it's not going to be...

That's there's a big-budget movie based on it just drives it home. People are paying money to sit scoffing popcorn in front of child-murder-as-entertainment. I really, really hope that isn't lost on the author. Or the audience...

That it's a YA book makes it all the more important it does address these issues.
    The first book introduces the world and subsequent books build around it and address the issues imho.

Edited by varsas at 12:48:13 30-04-2013
  • Bremenacht 30 Apr 2013 13:53:21 15,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    She does get upset 'cos the other guy (baker kid) says and does the right things, but she finds it hard to. No big deal though - part of the character.

There are definitely more than a few scenes where she just oooms and ahhhs over which boy she likes and oh the stress of having a dress made or something like that. Those bits grate.

But then again, she changes all the way through. The Katniss at the end is, well, not what I'd expected.

Edited by Bremenacht at 13:53:38 30-04-2013

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• varsas 30 Apr 2013 14:14:18 2,373 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's true she doesn't know which one she likes but it's not done in a way where she's mooning over them; I thought that aspect was handled well, she's a person learning about her feelings and trying to work them out in the moments when she doesn't have to deal with what the world is asking of her.
  • Bremenacht 18 Nov 2013 23:13:58 15,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, 'Catching Fire' seems to be reviewing rather well.

Telegraph 4/5
    Guardian 3/5
    Scotsman 4/5

Rotten Tomatoes looks generally good so far. I'd rather expected this to be mediocre rental fodder (or maybe even unwatchably Twilight-bad), so I'm taking this as making it worth a trip to the cinema.

Edited by Bremenacht at 23:14:11 18-11-2013

• Bremenacht 18 Nov 2013 23:30:43 15,753 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jennifer Lawrence on Camel Toe.

• beastmaster 18 Nov 2013 23:33:20 10,176 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought the first film was very poor indeed. However, I'm giving this one a go on Thursday night.

Not so much because of the film itself (the first one was quite highly rated) but the Odeon Trafford Centre is opening up it's IMAX on Thursday and I'm curious to see what it's like.

Hope the film turns out well. Hope the IMAX is better.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Shikasama 18 Nov 2013 23:38:03 6,276 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've never seen a film suffer so much in an attempt to keep a mass market rating as the original. Second film looks decent though, missus says it should have more woody barrels on so that's a big bonus
  • Armoured_Bear 9 Dec 2013 11:36:11 8,746 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    IMAX jl, I'm guaranteed to jizz..

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 9 Dec 2013 11:36:11 8,746 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    IMAX jl, I'm guaranteed to jizz..

XBL : ecosse011172