Amazon Locker service - Are the Royal Mail involved?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • boo 10 Nov 2011 10:58:32 11,897 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Amazon are now offering a Locker service, whereby you can opt to have a delivery sent to a locker, or drop box, rather than wait in at home.

With Christmas around the corner, does anyone know how this works? Last year, Amazon got all my deliveries out the door in less than 24 hours, but Royal Mail took a week to deliver them.

Anybody know whether it's Amazon who get the parcels to the locker, or is Royal Mail still involved?

Just Another Lego Blog

• Psychotext 10 Nov 2011 11:25:48 54,802 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought Amazon mostly used Yodel and UKMail these days?
  • Whizzo 10 Nov 2011 11:56:51 43,269 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They use DPD a fair amount.

As for this locker idea, it's been something the courier industry has been dicking about for a while (my brother is in that line of work), locker locations are likely to be 24 hour service stations and similar. They'll have a cage out back with parcels in and you'll sign for it when you turn up. The Royal Mail will have absolutely nothing to do with it, other than perhaps dropping stuff off in the first place.

It's a bloody good idea if you're at work during the day and you can't have stuff delivered to work, hopefully it'll take off.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Weebleboy 10 Nov 2011 12:08:06 370 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's a fantastic idea (although I'd still choose to have stuff delivered at work 99% of the time).

It's always seemed like a complete waste of time/resources for the Postman to bring parcels to my door when I'm never in (although I suspect that half the time they don't bother. Was that CD really too big for the letterbox?), write a card, and then take the item back. And for me then to find the card, wait the 24/48hrs as required, and then take a trip up to the mail centre and actually get the bloody thing.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next