Jak and Daxter collection for PS3 confirmed! Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• zisssou 4 Mar 2012 11:16:31 607 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just completed the first jak and it was awesome. I'm onto jak 2 now and it's a bit meh.
  • jack24 4 Mar 2012 15:39:49 284 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wait until later when it starts forgetting to give you checkpoints pretty much at all :/
  • mrharvest 4 Mar 2012 16:40:53 5,205 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, they are a bit harsh on having you redo entire sections, just like games used to do...
  • jack24 4 Mar 2012 17:18:33 284 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aye but after the joyous platforming bliss of the first, it is a bit of a left field turn for the super difficult. Especially when it's a bloody shooting section. The overworld is a bit of a chore aswell, as nice as it still looks.
  • JYM60 5 Mar 2012 09:57:24 16,902 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jak2 >

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• andywilkie35 5 Mar 2012 10:17:51 5,338 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Should get the platinum on Jak 1 tonight - what a wonderful game.

My brother got the platinum in two sittings (his favourite game ever) but he's given up on Jak II for the above reasons really. All I remember about it is that I loved it so looking forward to getting stuck in.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• jack24 5 Mar 2012 19:09:20 284 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    2 was my favourite when I was little but that was possibly because all the shooting and driving felt like variety. Whereas now I tend to spend so much time either shooting or driving in other games that I really only wanted platforming from this, and in comparison to the first there is noway near enough classic, weaponless platforming!
  • andywilkie35 5 Mar 2012 19:29:08 5,338 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He's just text me saying he's nearly finished it, pah! Turns out he does in fact still love it.

• FuzzyDuck 7 Apr 2012 22:04:06 4,962 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Right, borrowed this from me missus, will probably only play through one of the games. I've been playing Super Mario Galaxy a lot lately, so my pure platfroming fix is sewn up.

Jak 2 or 3?
  • Flying_Pig 7 Apr 2012 22:09:37 11,524 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

But the first is the best
  • andywilkie35 7 Apr 2012 22:17:10 5,338 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:

But the first is the best

• Triggerhappytel 7 Apr 2012 22:53:27 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    1, unless you have no desire to play it for some strange reason. The others introduced cars and guns to their detriment (although 3 is the better sequel).
  • FuzzyDuck 8 Apr 2012 00:15:59 4,962 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well i just played an hour of 3 - total rubbish! Horrible controls and camera.

Gonna go back to trying to 100% Mario Galaxy 1 for tonight. That game (and its sequel) really has broken so many other platformer games for me.

Will start Jak 1 tomorrow, just not in the form for it now i guess.
  • lucky_jim 8 Apr 2012 08:45:13 5,351 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had quite a strong "anti" reaction to Jak 2 at the time, because I felt it was going through the then-fashionable process of pointlessly going "dark" (see also: PoP Warrior Within, just about every other sequel of the era).

Quite looking forward to trying it with less hate-filled eyes.
  • King_Edward 8 Apr 2012 08:48:20 11,471 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I always though Jak going dark was kinda taking the piss out of every other game going dark, but I never played it so I don't know if that's true. Judging by Uncharted it isn't.
  • lucky_jim 8 Apr 2012 10:02:28 5,351 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think it was, I would have been fully behind it if it was intended as some kind of parody but it was actually leading the charge towards making everything brown/grey and "dark" (almost always with quotation marks). I certainly didn't see any evidence of knowing winks and nudges that you'd expect with such an approach, but I abandoned it in rage about 5 hours in on the PS2.
  • freedumb 8 Apr 2012 13:55:41 1,112 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think the word "dark" must be a subjective one if this stuff is really considered dark! Leading the charge towards brown and grey like a Gears of War? Really?

1m20 onwards:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iPh4Dlu1dQ&feature=relmfu

Sure they added a bit of grittiness, but it was still a colourful and imaginative game with cool characters and plenty of the same humour. The Warrior Within comparison is a bit extreme.

I always though Jak going dark was kinda taking the piss out of every other game going dark,
    I remember one of the first gags was Daxter saying to Jak, "so you can talk now eh?" compared to the mute Jak of the 1st game, and he had a suitably gravelly voice as well. That's like a parody of a gravelly voiced action hero, but throughout the game he never really went into the "dude bro" style you see in your generic action game.

They were playing with the conventions, attracting a wider audience who may have seen the first Jak as too kiddy (it wasn't, it was one of the best 3D platformers ever made), but still keeping the witty and humourous style that they had, along with interesting gameplay that may not have been 100% platforming but still included exploration, imaginative worlds and varied objectives.

It seems to have become the general consensus but any game with Daxter and Pecker and the likes can not really be considered truly dark imo.

Edited by freedumb at 14:19:53 08-04-2012
  • lucky_jim 8 Apr 2012 14:07:34 5,351 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looking back at it now and with the benefit of hindsight what you say makes sense, but at the time- with ND giving interviews to the PS2 press about the new dark, gritty direction, and a slew of other sequels like PoP going the same way- it was definitely a part of a bigger picture I didn't like. I wasn't the only one, either.

I'm not necessarily saying I was right to dismiss it back then, in fact you'll see I said I'm looking forward to giving it another try.
  • freedumb 8 Apr 2012 14:11:57 1,112 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can see that definitely. You can't get away from it, they were trying to attract a wider audience as the 3D platformer was dying, and the PR machine reflected that, along with the general trend of games as you said. The spirit of the original is still there in some form as they didn't go all the way down the dark route, and I'm glad :)
  • FuzzyDuck 11 Apr 2012 16:14:02 4,962 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So i decided to start part 1 last night - miles ahead of 3, am absolutely loving it! :D
  • ElNuevo9 15 Apr 2012 15:28:20 13,606 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The camera on the first makes me very angry.

I honestly don't recall it being so frustrating.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Charlie_Miso 5 Nov 2012 04:43:22 1,191 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never played any of these but really digging on the first one. I miss these kind of games.

Disappointing to hear that it all goes 'dark' after this.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 30 Mar 2013 15:16:55 11,564 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I absolutely adore Jak and Daxter, it's probably up there in my top 10 'retro' games, but Jesus FUCKING Christ, Jak II is fucking awful. I see that Kristan gave it 9/10 back in the day. I wouldn't even give it 7/10.

The new driving element is extremely unwelcome, ungainly, fiddly, unforgiving and not in any way fun. The streets are too narrow, densely populated and full of exploding cars. The horde of dudes shooting at you in the city only makes matters worse. Every time I have a driving mission, I shudder. Right now I'm stuck on the Hellcat cruiser mission, and I have honestly come close to quitting, which is against my nature.

The hub design too is awful, and it's almost hard to believe that this game came from he same guys who made Jak and Daxter 1. I have to assume that they had terrible time and money constraints.

/breathes out

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• HiddenAway 31 Mar 2013 02:08:05 15,000 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree with Jak 2's awfulness. I absolutely hated the driving sections with a passion.

I won't be starting Jak 3 for a good while...

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• Triggerhappytel 31 Mar 2013 03:37:36 2,695 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The weird thing about Jak II is that it's a very polished and professional game, but it's so insipid because it feels designed by committee to tick all the boxes of things which were trendy at the time. I don't have a lot of love for it, but I still need of play the sequels so I may get around to it at some point. The thing is, the original game played so well and had some brilliant ideas, they didn't need to revise the whole gameplay style and get rid of its whimsical charm almost entirely; especially in order to supplant GTA style game design where it didn't really fit. I'd love a proper in-keeping sequel to J&D one day. Doubt it'll happen now though.
  • Flying_Pig 31 Mar 2013 08:52:07 11,524 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Never played Jak 2, but I did play and finish Jak3. The latter being a better game by all accounts...
  • Telepathic.Geometry 31 Mar 2013 09:16:50 11,564 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've played a bit of Jak 3 too, and I liked what I played. This game (Jak II) is so fucking frustrating because of this shitty driving mechanic poisoning the whole thing that I would go so far as to say that it is broken.

By contrast, the driving sections in the original were tricky and frustrating in equal measure, but the lack of control over your vehicle was made up for by having large easy to navigate spaces, so you would always give it one more shot.

This game, it's just painful.

• JYM60 1 Apr 2013 23:42:54 16,902 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jak 2 was easily my favourite. Was so challenging and so varied. Yes at times I wanted to rip my hair out, but it was a scream and dance moment when you completed a ridiculously difficult section that made it worth it.

First game was far too easy in comparison.

[8/10] http://www.youtube.com/lllBetterThanHalolll

• Telepathic.Geometry 2 Apr 2013 05:39:13 11,564 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @JYM60 Well obviously Kristan (mugwum?) agreed with you, and I seem to remember Barton defending Jak II too back in the day, so there are obviously a number of people who are into it, which is cool.

I would argue however that this game is not so much difficult as it is punishing. A lot of the time when I fail, it's not my fault. I know how that sounds, but when you literally can't move the camera towards where you suspect a dude is waiting for you, and you can't aim at him either, having to run at him and wait for the sights to line up, it gets very fucking frustrating for all the wrong reasons. The whole game feels that way to me, and because the check-pointing is bad or non-existent, when you get raped, you have to start all over again.

To put that in context, when I beat the Argos robot in Vanquish and he killed me with a cheap wave of bombs in his death-throes, I didn't mind at all. Why? Because a) the controls are flawless = it was my fault, b) the check-pointing is fair, and the reloads are fast, and c) you always feel like you learned something.

Demon's Souls and Dark Souls and Jak and Daxter were the same in that way. This game? :/

Anyway, sorry for going on. I suppose it says something that I'm still playing the fucking thing. I'm just not busy now and posting more than I should...

• Page

of 3 First / Last