PC problem. Page 4

• Page

of 6 First / Last

• ilmaestro 26 Jul 2012 17:32:01 32,460 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    It's likely to be the drive you boot from, so if that's the SSD, it might be as simple as updating it's firmware.
    Oh, interesting, I'll give that a shot.

• dsmx 28 Jul 2012 19:12:43 7,606 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ok this is driving me up the wall and I've tried everything I can find through google search so here we go.

I updated my motherboard bios as it improved a few things now the computer won't boot into windows 7. I'm only running the SSD and the DVD rom connected through sata (SSD in port 0 and the dvd in a higher number port) and in the bios I've set it to AHCI.

When I try loading windows it fails, when I try reinstalling windows it doesn't register the SSD existing. However when I go to browse drives it does appear but says it requires formatting.

Am I missing something obvious?

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• dsmx 28 Jul 2012 19:47:04 7,606 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The previous install of windows still exists on the SSD complete with the AHCI mode enabled but the system isn't able to recognise the windows install but is able to register the drives existance. That's what's puzzling me.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• dsmx 28 Jul 2012 20:19:00 7,606 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    hmm curious plugged in a normal hard drive and it's reading that just fine even with the SSD plugged in as well. maybe the SSD has died? Well I've tried attaching the SSD through a usb adapter to my laptop an it says the drive needs formating before it can use it, not sure if that's any help though.

It would appear the SSD has died so I'm returning it, very annoying as it only got to 5 months old (inevitable answer to the upcoming question is that it was a samsung SSD). Good job I didn't put anything of real value on it and cloud stored most of the data that was on it.

Edited by dsmx at 20:28:52 28-07-2012

Edited by dsmx at 19:04:26 29-07-2012

• dsmx 1 Aug 2012 19:03:58 7,606 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep definitely dead, they sent out a new one today. Annoying though, looks like I'm going to have to spend a good few hours getting everything back to how I like on my PC it would seem.

• elephantjuice 4 Aug 2012 19:28:42 669 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wasn't sure where to put this but here goes.

Last night I put together a new custom HTPC butild, and for the most part everything's been fine. The only issue I've encountered so far is getting 5.1 audio from the PC. Whenever I try to configure speakers in windows I'm only presented with stereo options.

I've got audio going out over hdmi from a 7770 to a Sony amp. I've tried the 12.6 and 12.7 beta catalyst drivers to no avail. I should probably also mention I'm using the Windows 8 preview.

Any suggestions?
  • Deleted user 4 August 2012 20:34:08
    You've chosen the HDMI/Graphics Card as the audio out on sound mixer, right?
  • elephantjuice 4 Aug 2012 20:49:42 669 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @CrispyXUK

Correct. And I am getting sound but only as stereo with no option to configure as 5.1.
  • Deleted user 4 August 2012 20:50:52
    Are you playing something with 5.1 sound?
  • elephantjuice 4 Aug 2012 21:19:07 669 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    No but I should still be able to configure the speakers in windows without launching anything. At least I could in Win7 on my laptop and I'm fairly certain nothings changed in that respect in Win 8.
  • elephantjuice 5 Aug 2012 09:16:07 669 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm almost certain this is a driver issue. I managed to download and install the Win8 Realtek hdmi audio driver for amd devices but now I can't get any sound whatsoever. Windows is telling me there's no speakers plugged in.
  • Deleted user 17 August 2012 23:26:50
    @elephantjuice Right, moved the PC to mancave today, plugged in HDMI to my 5770 and it all worked fine. Did you set your sound to 5.1 in the control panel?
  • elephantjuice 18 Aug 2012 07:14:16 669 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @CrispyXUK

I sorted it in the end. For whatever reason the latest catalyst suite of drivers weren't installing the hdmi audio driver. A google of the hardware id of the hdmi port lead me to some older catalyst drivers which included the driver I needed et voila...5.1 audio. Im guessing it's just a Win8 thing.

Edited by elephantjuice at 07:16:04 18-08-2012
  • Jetset_UK 19 Sep 2012 18:40:10 3,565 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey chaps.

So I've just dug out a couple of 1TB drives that I had used previously in RAID. The drives are indentical makes and models.

I've just fired up windows, and one drive is 100MB and the other is 1.8TB.
    Any idea how I can restore these drive to normal?

Cheers
  • Mr-Brett 19 Sep 2012 18:49:06 12,799 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You'll need to use the Disk Management tool and possibly have to re-partition the drives but I'm not sure about that since I've not used RAID. Either way give the tool a google and you'll be able to find some guides on how to access it.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• azurelas_2 3 Oct 2012 15:16:42 1,116 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hello all;

I recently upgraded the bios on my msi p67-c45 (b3) mobo, and it won't boot anymore. I went into the uefi and, according to the system status, my first hdd is on SATA 1 (the one where my windows installation is).

When I go into the boot preferences, this very HDD is nowhere to be found. So how does one fix this?
  • LockeTribal 30 Oct 2012 14:02:49 4,515 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, my laptop's hard drive went belly up recently and I've had to buy a new one (HD that is, not laptop). Unfortunately when Dell sent me my old laptop 7 or so years ago, they did not think to include a WinXP install disk (or for that matter a recovery partition on the HD) so I will have a laptop with no OS. Haven't been able to get the lend of an XP disk from anyone I know yet either so I was wondering a few things:
    a. Will Dell send me out an XP install disk if I ask them nicely and quote my service tag and such?
    b. Should I just download a torrent of XP from a less than reputable source
    c. Is installing Ubuntu (or something similarly free) a worthwhile idea?

Just FYI, the laptop is mainly used by my parents for net browsing and skype, so when it comes to considering a flavour of Linux it would have to be something they wouldn't find too hard to deal with/get used to.

Thanks in advance, you lovely people, you.
  • coastal 30 Oct 2012 15:02:30 5,383 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Presumably on the underside of the laptop the windows xp key is still readable. If that's the case then you could grab a torrent of xp. Good luck trying to find one that isn't cracked/meddled with. You might get lucky with the phone call or just ask around at work/pub.

I haven't used Skype on Linux but what you're after is usb flash drive boots or Live Cd, that way you can just try them out without installing.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• SpaceDave3000 30 Oct 2012 15:09:07 78,226 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Those keys are specific to the version that was pre-installed, say Home OEM or something like that.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• LockeTribal 30 Oct 2012 16:39:36 4,515 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Dirtbox So if I was to get an XP disk it would need to be the same version as was on the laptop originally?
  • andytheadequate 8 Nov 2012 10:04:01 8,188 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just got a new pc with Windows 8. It is able to find the router but shows as "Limited connectivity" and won't let me connect to the internet?

Things I've tried:
    Restarting PC and router (not sure on model, but it was provided by Plusnet)
    Updating drivers - this causes my PC to error when it reboots (assuming it's not compatible with Windows 8 yet)

Things I'm going to try tonight when I get home:
    Move PC closer to router - it's not far away but could be closer
    Ensure I don't have a static IP

Anyone have any other ideas on how to fix it? Would simply using home plugs solve my problem if I bought them?
  • Chopsen 8 Nov 2012 10:18:44 16,019 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    can you open the config page of the router? (usually point a browser to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 or something)?

Does that give you an indication of if the router is actually connecting?

Can other devices connect to the internet through the router?
  • andytheadequate 8 Nov 2012 10:49:36 8,188 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Other devices (2 phones, Xbox and a mac) all connect fine.

I tried opening the config page but it didn't work. Might have used the wrong ip though so will retry.
  • warlockuk 8 Nov 2012 11:05:55 19,171 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I take it that means you're connecting via wireless?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• andytheadequate 8 Nov 2012 11:08:16 8,188 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yep. Thought I'd mentioned that, sorry.
  • Deleted user 8 November 2012 11:30:55
    @andytheadequate

Are you using a usb wireless dongle by any chance?

Just to rule out any shenanigans for wireless problems, change the system's performance profile, to maximum performance, and disable any ability to throttle the CPU or power to the bus/usb ports. Also disable hibernate/standby settings, so that shutdown actually shuts down. Some buggy wireless drivers will not like coming out of hibernation regardless of anything else you do.
  • snowbored 22 Nov 2012 22:21:25 451 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hi

I bought a Radeon HD6670 an put in in my computer. My PSU is 300w and the reccomended PSU is 400w but plenty of forums said it would be fine.

over the last few months occasionally the PC would the monitor would just turn off and the only way to get it to come back on was to hard restart the PC.

I ran a diagnostic and it said that the hard drive was failing.

Now the hard drive has completely died, files started corrupting and then it eventually it would not boot any more.

my questions are

Can the underpowered PSU have caused the hard drive to fail or is this just a coincidence?

I have ordered a new harddrive but should I take the grapics card back out until I can afford a PSU some time in the new year.

As a console gamer I don't have much experience with this side of PC's so any advice would be great

Edited by snowbored at 22:21:45 22-11-2012
  • Iain815 30 Nov 2012 16:13:30 412 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    God I'm losing my mind over this.

MBoard: Z77-D3H
    GPU: MSI R7850 Power Edition
    CPU: i5-3570k
    PSU: Coolermaster GX 650w

Basically a few weeks ago my computer would start crashing randomly with a blank blue screen forcing me to power off at the wall. This would happen randomly, from gaming to just browsing and could occur 10 minutes after turning on, or hours. I spent many days going through trail and error trying to figure which components were causing this. I've completely ruled out:

The RAM (No errors found, changed modules)
    HDD (No errors found)
    Overheating
    PSU
    Windows 7/8 (reinstalled, reformatted)

Then I moved onto the graphics card. Took it out and for a whole day had no problems. "Well that must be it!". But to make sure sure it truly was the card, I popped it into the other (x4) PCI-E slot and it worked fine for a day on it. :/

Faulty (x16) PCI-E slot? But now I'm currently using my old GPU now in it (GTS 450) and so far have had no problems.

What the hell is it, dodgy motherboard or GPU? I'm leaning towards GPU, because maybe only running at x4 means it cant get enough going to make it crash, but I don't know if the logic in that is correct.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last