Mario Kart 7 Page 2

• Page

of 27 First / Last

• roz123 25 Oct 2011 20:56:37 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I reckon a no blue shell community will be one of the top 200 most popular until people realise it's shit
  • andywilkie35 25 Oct 2011 21:49:46 5,338 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    I wish they would get rid of the blue shell altogether. By far the worst aspect of the Mario Kart games.
    This. Game breaking device that punishes you for being good, resulting in a game that actively hates you for playing it and improving.

Still can't wait for this though.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Deleted user 25 October 2011 21:53:19
    Blue shells are fine in low frequency
  • Raiko101 26 Oct 2011 07:01:27 6,081 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @SuperCoolEskimo - Yeah, but those stronger items still get used mainly against everybody but first place. If you're in first place you take far fewer hits than 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on. Leading Mario Kart races is far easier than working your way through the field, at least with human opposition, even with the Blue Shell. The problem with Mario Kart DS online was that the player out in front would often only get troubled with the blue shell. All they had to do was ensure they had an item hanging from the car and they could speed off whilst 2nd and 3rd constantly slowed each other up. As I say, leading is far easier than coming through the field and so I don't believe it necessarily make you a good player.

Besides, Mario Kart isn't about being fair. If the fastest racer was always going to win, then why have the weapons at all? The best way to deal with blue shells is to collect 2nd and 3rd placs with you, if you can. If they slow to avoid you, it just bunches the whole pack up and makes things more interesting again anyway.

Edited by Raiko101 at 07:08:55 26-10-2011

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• ResidentKnievel 26 Oct 2011 13:13:59 6,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    area881 wrote:
    The old Blue Shells on the N64 were better because it didn't target just 1st place but everyone on the field. I feel they should revert back to that to make it more fair.
    That's what it's going to be like in Mario Kart 7 except it explodes 1st place.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• ResidentKnievel 26 Oct 2011 13:17:11 6,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you want to play a racer without a blue shell like weapon, or better weapons for people further back, you should try Diddy Kong racing, that was awful as once you were in the lead it was incredibly difficult to fall back unless you fell off the course. Incredibly boring and I wouldn't want Mario Kart to go too heavily in that direction.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 13:20:38 26-10-2011

• ResidentKnievel 26 Oct 2011 13:19:28 6,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted

• roz123 4 Nov 2011 11:19:35 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nintendos Japanese site has loads of videos, one shows the retro levels on the Banana (2nd) cup. All four levels are favourites of mine but the first track got me most excited.
    http://youtu.be/oUb4WbkDepk
    There is also a video of the 4 new tracks in the flower cup
    http://youtu.be/PimwfcEwznc

Edited by roz123 at 11:24:18 04-11-2011
  • mal 4 Nov 2011 17:21:17 22,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So banana cup seems to be Koopa Beach from N64, one of the GBA Mario Circuit levels (IIRC), the Wii shopping center one, and NDS Waluigi Pinball. Interesting to see how the new features (driving underwater, hangglider) affect the existing tracks, especially in that Koopa Beach bit of the video.

It seems that spun opponents drop coins, which other drivers can collect. We still don't know what the coins do, do we?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 4 Nov 2011 17:31:43 6,654 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    If you want to play a racer without a blue shell like weapon, or better weapons for people further back, you should try Diddy Kong racing, that was awful as once you were in the lead it was incredibly difficult to fall back unless you fell off the course. Incredibly boring and I wouldn't want Mario Kart to go too heavily in that direction.
    that or formula 1. Both bore the piss out of me tbf.
  • roz123 4 Nov 2011 20:16:33 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @mal I think the second track is SNES Mario Circuit 2
  • mal 5 Nov 2011 16:43:13 22,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, that'd make sense - it's the first track in GBA Flower Cup extra.

• JinTypeNoir 6 Nov 2011 01:02:41 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The coins supposedly buy new parts for the race vehicles.

Also, the best way to deal with a blue shell is to be so far ahead it doesn't matter. Blue shells only affect first-placers who are there by the teeth of their neck. Yes, every once in a while, there's that one race where you totally get screwed, but that type of chaos is what makes Mario Kart, Mario Kart.

I always laugh at people who said the original wasn't like that, oh what you mean the game's AI had infinite acceleration and speed-up ability when it needed it and could use stars over and over again regardless if there were mystery blocks left? That game? Blue shells are a much better way of preventing first place dominance than the original's infuriating AI on the harder difficulties.
  • Genji 6 Nov 2011 01:09:27 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It wasn't even really AI on the original, iirc. The AI players just went around a pre-programmed loop.

As far as blue shells go, I preferred the original one on the N64, in that it could hit other people along the way to 1st place.

The only time I've ever really been annoyed by a blue shell was on Mario Kart DS, when I was in a VS race against one other guy. He got a blue shell, and it turned into a farce, because there was literally no way that I could win without a Star. So we got into this weird dance where neither of us wanted to be ahead for most of the race.

Edited by Genji at 01:32:15 06-11-2011
  • roz123 6 Nov 2011 02:18:20 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This one goes along the ground hitting people until it reaches first place where it floats up and smashes down
  • mal 6 Nov 2011 03:43:02 22,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh, I quite enjoy the 'someone's got a blue shell' dance when it happens. Works best when the shell doesn't pick its target until it gets to the head of the field - iirc in some versions it picks its target at the moment it's fired, and any changes in position between then and it landing don't change who it hits.

• Genji 6 Nov 2011 08:12:00 19,691 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's great when there are a few players. But it makes no sense when there are only two. In that case, it's almost like an instant win button.
  • roz123 11 Nov 2011 19:46:04 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    3 new videos showing off various tracks
    Battle Stages
    Star Cup (new levels)
    Leaf Cup (old levels)
  • Raiko101 12 Nov 2011 00:25:27 6,081 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Looking good. Hopefully battle mode will be playable online. It was criminal to have seen it overlooked on the DS version.

• mal 12 Nov 2011 02:20:49 22,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Looks great! The mechanics and the melodies (especially) remind me of classic MarioKart games, and that can only be a good thing. The underwater/overground branching paths does make me worry though - how can red shells etc. work if you opponent is on another path?

So it seems Leaf cup is a couple of MK64 tracks (Kalimari Desert and Crappy Snowland) and then Daisy Cruiser from Double Dash and Maple Treeway from MarioKart Wii. I think they've already pulled out most of the good tracks from MK64 and are starting to scrape the barrel now.

• Raiko101 12 Nov 2011 10:29:47 6,081 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In my opinion, they picked out the only 4 good N64 tracks for the DS version. Didn't mind Kalimari Desert to be fair. I've got some great multiplayer memories being parked up behind the passing train for some reason. As for the snow track, it's DK Pass from the DS game and it's one of my favourites.

• mal 12 Nov 2011 11:53:37 22,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, that makes more sense. I guess I was confused by the spinning and panning camera, as I didn't remember any jumps in Crappy Snowland and didn't spot the wood bridge before the starting line.

Good news then. I have happy memories of setting time trial times on DK pass.

• Deleted user 12 November 2011 13:52:07
  • Raiko101 16 Nov 2011 00:01:42 6,081 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Right, so apparently every track has been announced now, and the final retro track is definately the one i'm most excited for. SNES Rainbow Road in 3D with 8 decent online players is going to be hilarious. Here's the full list.

Shell Cup

N64 Luigi Raceway
    GBA Bowser Castle 1
    Wii Mushroom Gorge
    DS Luigi’s Mansion

Banana Cup

N64 Koopa Troopa Beach
    SNES Mario Circuit 2
    Wii Coconut Mall
    DS Waluigi Pinball

Leaf Cup

N64 Kalimari Desert
    DS DK Pass
    GCN Daisy Cruiser
    Wii Maple Treeway

Lightning Cup

Wii Koopa Cape
    GCN Dino Dino Jungle
    DS Airship Fortress
    SNES Rainbow Road

Flower Cup

Wuhu Loop 1
    Mario Circuit
    Music Park
    Rock Rock Mountain

Mushroom Cup

Toad Circuit
    Daisy Hills
    Cheep-Cheep Lagoon
    Shy Guy Bazaar

Star Cup

Piranha Plant Slide
    Wario Shipyard
    Neo Bowser City
    Maka Wuhu

Special Cup

DK Jungle
    Rosalina’s Ice World
    Bowser’s Castle
    Rainbow Road

Battle Stages

GBA Battle Course 1
    N64 Big Doughnut
    DS Palm Shore
    Honeybee Hive
    Sherbet Rink
    Wuhu Town

• mal 16 Nov 2011 00:58:06 22,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wuhu loop 1 makes it sound like there's more circuits in wuhu island to unlock. Cool!

So, as for the retro tracks there's 4 wii, 4 DS, 2 decent Gamecube ones, 1 GBA, 3 N64 ones of varying quality, and 2 SNES tracks. Not a bad mix, though it's a shame we've already seen most of my favourite older tracks in other games. Deffo some of the better DS tracks there though.

• Raiko101 16 Nov 2011 09:51:16 6,081 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maka Wuhu is loop 2 I do believe. They're cycling routes in Wii Fit Plus.

• ResidentKnievel 16 Nov 2011 10:49:43 6,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm getting this game if only for the heading banging piranha plants in Music Park.

• ResidentKnievel 16 Nov 2011 10:56:04 6,126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    *wrong link*

It's in Japanese, but the video explains everything by itself. Kinda Spoilery, I guess, but if you've read this far you probably know everything already.

edit: whoops, read mal's post

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 19:20:24 16-11-2011

• mal 16 Nov 2011 15:46:47 22,341 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I assume this is the link you meant. Looking good - though I'm not quite sure what difference the wheel choice makes. And just before the end, the kart has one of those 7-item things, and bumps into yoshi and the green shell from the 7-item thing hits him. I wonder what happens if it hits him with the star?

• Page

of 27 First / Last