Help setting up basic home studio

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • pistol 20 Oct 2011 14:38:13 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hi all

In need of a bit of advice if you have the time.

I don't do a lot of flash or studio set up photography, and of late have only really used my SB-600 flash for macro work. I've been taking a few portraits of friends kids as a favour to them really, but nothing too fancy. Most have come out really well and I wanted to try and take it to another level.

I shoot with a D7000 and a variety of lenses but have no real clue about how to use the sort of equipment linked below. How do the umbrella's work and where do I attach the SB-600 flash?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250898593733?ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:GB:1120

I already have some decent pop-up white backgrounds etc, just need to understand how it all goes together.

Any thoughts?
  • henro_ben 20 Oct 2011 14:42:53 2,216 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Flash will sit on a hot shoe on the stand & will point at the brolly - depending on the type of brolly it'll either fire through it to soften the light, or will fire at it & the flash will reflect off.

You'll probably want to get a reflector as well, so you can use the flash as key & reflector for fill.

If you've got the money then a soft box will give you much nicer soft light for portraits, although the brolly will do.
  • pistol 20 Oct 2011 14:51:39 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks Henro, I knew you'd come back with something. I think with this umbrella you can have either white for the flash to light through, or use the silver cover to reflect.
  • monkman76 20 Oct 2011 18:15:59 4,260 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Firing the flash through white will be better as you'll be able to get the light source MUCH closer to your subject. The closer the light source, the bigger it appears and therefore the softer the light. If you frame tightly, you could probably get the edge of the brolly to within a foot or two of the subject's face, then it will be lovely and soft.

If you haven't already, the absolute best thing you can do is go through Lighting 101 at Strobist.com. Really good stuff. He's all about manual flash control though and you may prefer i-TTL, both are good IMO.
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html
  • pistol 21 Oct 2011 10:07:46 13,019 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Firing the flash through white will be better as you'll be able to get the light source MUCH closer to your subject. The closer the light source, the bigger it appears and therefore the softer the light. If you frame tightly, you could probably get the edge of the brolly to within a foot or two of the subject's face, then it will be lovely and soft.

If you haven't already, the absolute best thing you can do is go through Lighting 101 at Strobist.com. Really good stuff. He's all about manual flash control though and you may prefer i-TTL, both are good IMO.
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Yeah, I've seen Lighting 101 but thanks for the link anyway.

I could do with a reminder.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next