Rocksmith Page 4

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• thesonglessbird 28 Sep 2012 20:57:46 196 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've just played it for about 4 hours straight and I'm impressed so far.

Like the game, date the interface. For example, when you practise a section of a song and ace it and you want to play it again, you need to go through all the song select menus, retune and reload which is a pretty long process. Gives your hands a bit of a rest though! I find the note lane a bit confusing too. Getting used to which colour is which string etc. took me a while. I'd prefer a tab-like view.

Don't know if I'd recommend it to a complete guitar n00b. There's certain things that can't be taught that you need to figure out for yourself. I guess it's a bit like handing a game controller to someone who's never played a game before and have them play a really complicated game with lots of QTEs etc.; they probably wont enjoy it until they've got the hang of how the controller works and feels.

Where's all the DLC that the news ticker on the main menu is saying is released? Can't find much in the store, which is a bit disappointing. Not totally convinced by the songs that come with the game; they're good, but not great.
  • thesonglessbird 28 Sep 2012 21:03:40 196 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    I was... and still am... really interested in this, but, at the release of the US version there were plenty of complaints about lag. And it seems to me that, if you're to play the "game" and hit notes at the right time, the lag will be a real issue.

Does anyone know, did they ever patch things and improve the input lag?
    I haven't witnessed any noticeable lag. The manual has three different A/V combinations and it recommends you don't use your TV's audio. I've been using my TV's speakers and it's totally fine for me. Going to hook it up to my surround system tomorrow and see how that is. TV speakers are annoyingly crappy and don't really do the game justice. Some of the guitar tones I've heard have been FIT.
  • 1Dgaf 28 Sep 2012 22:18:06 3,976 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Any idea whether there will be delay if the Xbox's audio is routed through an amp, but the player uses a headset plugged into the back of the 360?

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

www.isawthatyearsago.com - a retro film podcast

• thesonglessbird 29 Sep 2012 15:20:02 196 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you're using a headset, I think you'd probably get minimal lag. I'm on PS3 though so I don't know for sure.

Just tried the demo on Steam and I think I might sell my PS3 copy to a friend of mine who said she liked the look of it. Took a lot of dicking around to get a low latency on my PC though. Had to use analog instead of digital out to my speakers and close all my other programs, but it's totally lag free.

The Rocksmith cable is also picked up as an ASIO device, so you can use it to record guitar directly into your music software of choice :D
  • MatMan562 29 Sep 2012 15:42:59 2,605 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was just looking at the kind of dlc that's been released, I was pleased to see more "rocky" stuff than the base game holds but was surprised to see Judas Priest's Painkiller, that was tough enough on Rock Band!

Anyway, is there a best platform to get this on? I'm thinking PC as it's cheaper and, as thesonglessbird says, you can then record with it to your PC.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• dr_zoidthrob 29 Sep 2012 17:00:32 15 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The dynamic difficulty ruins the game (maybe not totally, but it's close). Not being able to set the difficulty level you want to play at is an insane design decision.

Oh, and the loading times for *anything* are far, far too long (but apparently better than when it released in the US last year).

It's also bloody awful if, like me, you're left-handed - the notes still approach from a 'right-handed' direction, which means the fret numbers get covered as the notes approach.

While I'm at it... why aren't the fret positions numbered on the 'back' of the transparent guitar? Or rather, why isn't that an option?

It's a great - brilliant - idea, albeit one that's let down completely by some of the sloppiest game design I've seen in *years*.

I think mine will be getting returned on Monday :-(
  • wobbly_Bob 29 Sep 2012 17:11:01 1,898 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dr_zoidthrob wrote:
    The dynamic difficulty ruins the game (maybe not totally, but it's close). Not being able to set the difficulty level you want to play at is an insane design decision.

Oh, and the loading times for *anything* are far, far too long (but apparently better than when it released in the US last year).

It's also bloody awful if, like me, you're left-handed - the notes still approach from a 'right-handed' direction, which means the fret numbers get covered as the notes approach.

While I'm at it... why aren't the fret positions numbered on the 'back' of the transparent guitar? Or rather, why isn't that an option?

It's a great - brilliant - idea, albeit one that's let down completely by some of the sloppiest game design I've seen in *years*.

Remember this it's more about learning and expanding skills more than it is a "game" the thinking behind the dynamic difficulty is to keep pushing you out of your comfort zone. Sure it's hard but I think only a day is a bit soon for you to be giving up? :) learning takes many years! ... I say this without trying it yet so maybe next week I will be posting in complete agreement with you lol

But yeah apparently the menus are mega poo and it takes waaaaaay to long to load.
  • mentalabhoration 29 Sep 2012 17:38:51 69 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dr_zoidthrob wrote:

As a fellow lefty, do you think the "right handed direction " is a deal buster as I was dead keen on getting this, I'm surprised there's no lefty mode.
  • dr_zoidthrob 29 Sep 2012 20:14:51 15 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob I realise it's all about learning - that's why I got it! However, having spent the best part of an hour trying to play 'Are You Gonna Go My Way' by Lenny Kravitz and getting nowhere, I turned to the net, found some tab and had the bit I was stuck on figured out in 15 mins.

Not the best advert for the games teaching credentials, really.

The main problems with the way it teaches are thus:
    1. It misses out important notes. You just end up playing random, disparate notes that don't seem to have any place in the song.
    2. Adding extra notes (or chords) at random just messes your rhythm up. As soon as something you're not expecting arrives, it throws you out and you spend the next few seconds trying to figure what the hell is going on.
    Obviously, this could (should - they've had enough time) have been fixed by having a selectable difficulty level as well as the dynamic one.

@mentalabhoration There is a 'lefty mode', but it doesn't seem 'right' somehow (irony notwithstanding).
  • mentalabhoration 29 Sep 2012 21:31:23 69 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @dr_zoidthrob thanks for the lefty heads up
  • DUFFMAN5 29 Sep 2012 21:36:12 15,400 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was defo up for buying but decided against it in the end. Got my accoustic out tonight and played through a couple of Beatles and Dylan songs. I'm very and I mean a very basic player.
    Really enjoyed it, just have to make an effort...which is stupid as i love it when i play. My left finger tips are fookin sore however. Teach me not to play for a couple/more years.

Good luck to you guys who have bought it.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• kinky_mong 29 Sep 2012 21:50:00 10,867 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really enjoyed this at the Expo today as it seems a lot more fun than Rock Band's Pro mode was. Plus browsing through the tracklisting showed that it fits my taste very well.

Just need to scrape together the coins for a guitar now!

Edited by kinky_mong at 21:55:17 29-09-2012

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• mothercruncher 29 Sep 2012 22:51:10 7,845 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've spent a couple of hours with it tonight (as a loooong time but pretty sporadic player) and am really impressed. I agree on the downsides- the menus are very slow and a touch clunky, nice backgrounds aside. I also can't see a way to drop the difficulty back that it has set for me so that my other half/friend etc can have a go without being chucked in at the deep end. Is there no way to have a couple of profiles in game?

I've not found lag to be a problem- using HDMI for picture and composite red and white straight into the amp. I'd really much rather not have to piss about with the audio settings each time I play but, in reality, it's only 20 seconds work.

I don't mind the dynamic difficulty at the moment. Not because I can't play faster on my own but because the extra load of trying to play guitar and also a game means I find it nice to work my way up, personally.

It's also pleasing to see it isn't the somewhat limited game it could have been functionally- hammer ons/off and bending etc is all in there to add nuance.

You can undoubtedly learn to play songs properly too- notes in the right place, timing right etc- and you could also very much transfer that knowledge to playing them in a band too if that floated your boat. I don't think that'll be the main focus for me, but you could use it for that if the songs included interested you.

I think it's a really worthy purchase actually, there are some decent songs, it's a lot of fun (hot "chicks" in the audience ftw), the sounds are excellent (a lorry load of effects are included and unlockable) and the games are better than I expected too.
    It "works" and there's more content than I thought there would be. And, being able to use the cable for Garageband or whatever is a big bonus too.
  • TFM_Excalibur 30 Sep 2012 14:07:26 1,098 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got the guitar bundle from amazon, as someone thats never picked up a guitar before i'm absolutley loving it so far.

Well worth the 120 quid i reckon

Edited by TFM_Excalibur at 14:12:00 30-09-2012
  • meat_potatoe 30 Sep 2012 14:36:47 85 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TFM_Excalibur wrote:
    Got the guitar bundle from amazon, as someone thats never picked up a guitar before i'm absolutley loving it so far.

Well worth the 120 quid i reckon
    What's the guitar like? Is it full size? Really fancy this but only got an acoustic. Was thinking of either getting the bundle or getting a epiphone junior SG and the game separate
  • RichieTenenbaum 30 Sep 2012 15:01:19 2,228 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So, I'm really on the fence here. Is it worth it for a lefty that just wants to play a few tunes and has found tabs a bit difficult?
  • mothercruncher 30 Sep 2012 16:39:02 7,845 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I promise TFM, your fingers stop hurting after a week, maybe two, you just need to deaden the nerve endings a bit ;)

I guess the question is MP, whether you can pick something up of better quality as a second-hand 70 alternative. I think the difference would be pretty marginal though. Are you feeling patient and can you wait for something tasty to turn up on ebay? Or do you want to get stuck in?
  • meat_potatoe 30 Sep 2012 16:40:32 85 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Post deleted
  • meat_potatoe 30 Sep 2012 16:46:21 85 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cheers. Might wait it out and see if something pops up on eBay
  • TFM_Excalibur 30 Sep 2012 22:14:11 1,098 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Its seems like a full size mate, maybe just slightly smaller.
    Lovely piece of kit, fantastic build quality had a guitar before that sound like is was being played with coat hangar, the les paul has a crisp clean sound, might be me just being dumb lol
    Fingers are fucked after two days, loving it though haha.
    Seen more action than fifa 13 which i didn't expect.

Hangar 18 is calling my name, gotta go lol

Edited by TFM_Excalibur at 22:20:19 30-09-2012
  • wobbly_Bob 30 Sep 2012 22:41:05 1,898 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cool, glad you are liking it. I can't wait till sat to get started on mine! I been reading the beginner course on justine giutar to give me a good start.
  • TFM_Excalibur 30 Sep 2012 22:49:15 1,098 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Cool, glad you are liking it. I can't wait till sat to get started on mine! I been reading the beginner course on justine giutar to give me a good start.
    Definatley a hidden gem, had it preordered for months and was debating whether to keep the order or not.

So so glad i did, just scary to think i paid the same for guitar hero at one point.
  • wobbly_Bob 30 Sep 2012 23:09:50 1,898 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah me too with rock band. It does seem bad value now compared with this. I think game + cable + a real giutar is great value for money!
  • Pinky_Floyd 1 Oct 2012 13:24:51 8,348 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I play guitar, been playing a few years, interested in this and went and had a look at the UI on youtube. Ummmm, the UI charts seem ass about face, and to top it all off I'm colour blind so not sure how much this will nobble me. Any colour blind folk trying to play this?
  • wobbly_Bob 1 Oct 2012 13:30:42 1,898 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You mean the note charts? You can flip it so it matches traditional guitar tab although its still comming at you vertically Dont know if that helps? :)

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 13:32:10 01-10-2012
  • Pinky_Floyd 1 Oct 2012 13:34:53 8,348 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    You mean the note charts? You can flip it so it matches traditional guitar tab although its still comming at you vertically Dont know if that helps? :)
    Might do. 50 odd quid is a fair bit for something that I might struggle with though.
  • wobbly_Bob 1 Oct 2012 13:37:00 1,898 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, but you can always make quite a bit back through selling it on amazon/ebay or par ex-ing it :)
  • Deleted user 1 October 2012 14:26:12
    'Evening lads.

So, X360 or PS3 version ? Was reading that the PS3 one was pretty bad since it was crash-prone - at least in the US release...

Did it get fixed/patched or...?

Also, the PC version releases in mid-October, correct ?

Cheers
  • wobbly_Bob 1 Oct 2012 15:33:52 1,898 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I havent heard about the ps3 version being especially crash prone. I have it on the ps3 and will begin playing with it on saturday do if nobofy else has it I will let you know how I find it.
  • Dave_McCoy 1 Oct 2012 19:51:52 2,807 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Picked this up today and plugged my poor old battered guitar in to it. It works! Or at least it seems to so far. I'm another long term but very sporadic player. Quite good fun, hoping it helps me get back in to it. It seems very nice though for the bit I've played.
  • Page

of 21 First / Last