TFM_Excalibur wrote:
    Anyone needing a guitar? Selling my 2014 edition les Paul as sold my 360 :(
    are you selling the game and cable too?

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Rhythm 29 Dec 2013 10:21:37 2,462 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got this for Chrimbo and it's a massive improvement over the first - very impressed.

Only thing, though, is that I can't find the song import option. I got given the option when I first created my profile but following the option took me to a Steam 404 page. When I look for the "song import pack" in the DLC area I can't find anything by that name. Anyone had this problem? Have they by any chance removed the option to import?
  • gamingdave 4 Jan 2014 13:59:02 4,179 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got a guitar, now looking at Rocksmith for the PC. Whats the best way to get it?

Is it worth getting the original version and importing the tracks?

Is it worth getting it on Steam and the cable separately to take advantage of sales on the DLC? Or can you use Steam DLC in the boxed version?
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Jan 2014 14:05:50 14,377 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @gamingdave
    I have both on 360, 2014 is vastly improved, so that one :-)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• gamingdave 4 Jan 2014 14:35:02 4,179 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'll definitely be getting 2014, but wondering if it's worth also getting the first to import the tracks from it.
  • orpheus 4 Jan 2014 15:00:18 993 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @gamingdave

Yes, it's worth getting the original and importing the tracks (7.99 for the importer iirc), but you may want to leave it a bit until you're sure you like the new one.

The box version registers on steam, so steam dlc will work fine. If it were me in your place, I'd get the boxed 2014 edition with cable, try that for a bit, and then pick up the older one & import tool if you find you like it.

I broke the first finger on my left hand the Friday before xmas, so I've not been able to play over the xmas break. Was looking forward to it too! :(

Edited by orpheus at 15:01:00 04-01-2014
  • gamingdave 4 Jan 2014 15:13:02 4,179 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @orpheus Excellent, so hunt for the best price on the boxed version with cable it is. I'll see what the prices are like, may be cheaper to get the original with cable and then the 2014 edition on its own.
  • RichieTenenbaum 4 Jan 2014 15:23:44 2,180 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, do. The extra tracks are nice. It'll cost you £7 to import them, though
  • wobbly_Bob 4 Jan 2014 18:31:27 1,608 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got this for another crack at learning some form of guitar. Messed around with the first one but drifted from it. So got this new 2014 version  after reading that the new one was much better at teaching guitar with an improved UI.

So far enjoying it a lot and pretty much playing the shit out of it. I played it for around 4 to 5 hours yesterday and same today. It is a lot better than the first which I found very frustrating however as a beginner there is still a lot that could be a lot better.

The auto leveling thing is just plain crap for the beginner. What teacher of any subject would wait till your getting a little bit of confidence, your smiling, feeling good, starting to think maybe you can do it when suddenly the instructor shouts hey you're shit try THIS! It's just stupid.

Hey not only am I going to throw more notes and speed it up I'll also throw in stuff you don't even know existed and let alone play it. Very frustrating.

You find the no explanation for the beginner running all through rocksmith. For example: Session mode is a good way to improve says rocksmith I recommend you try it. Ok! Cool! Now play along with your band using scales. What? Looks in lessons. Nothing. Goes on net and googles... Still have no clue.  Yeah Ok thanks. What are scales, rocksmith?

The UI is a lot better but still think they're clunky and ill thought out. I still have no idea where certain things are or what options I have. For example it keeps telling me I unlocked inlays and amps. For what? Where do I find those? What are they for?  Can I play a song at my own pace and difficulty (not riff repeater) in a venue? What do all those options in riff repeater mean?

Some of the arcade games are really poorly designed as teaching aids. Panic isn't a good teacher. Slow repetition is. Sure make it a game you're on the right track but never make me panic of teach mistakes which what happens.

I think really rocksmith's whole problem is its still designed like rock band or guitar hero. It's still designed to be a game it needs to shift away from that.

Still all that said I am really enjoying it despite my gripes :)
  • GuiltySpark 4 Jan 2014 20:08:37 6,320 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    The UI is a lot better but still think they're clunky and ill thought out. I still have no idea where certain things are or what options I have. For example it keeps telling me I unlocked inlays and amps. For what? Where do I find those? What are they for?  Can I play a song at my own pace and difficulty (not riff repeater) in a venue? What do all those options in riff repeater mean?
    They're for the guitar and the amps that you see on screen whilst you're playing, surely?

Get bent.

• wobbly_Bob 4 Jan 2014 20:49:49 1,608 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    They're for the guitar and the amps that you see on screen whilst you're playing, surely?
    Yeah obviously but all I see while playing is the notes scrolling down. There isn't any representation of a guitar or amps.
  • gamingdave 5 Jan 2014 00:34:29 4,179 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got them both ordered now, original with cable and latest standalone. Looking forward to it.
  • orpheus 5 Jan 2014 02:09:51 993 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Suspect that'll be new tone/skin options for the band/session modes.
  • kinky_mong 5 Jan 2014 10:07:14 9,941 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Yeah obviously but all I see while playing is the notes scrolling down. There isn't any representation of a guitar or amps.
    The amps are on either side of the screen while playing, and the inlay is shown right at the bottom.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• wobbly_Bob 5 Jan 2014 15:14:36 1,608 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kinky_mong - Ok, cheers! Seems a bit pointless but it's something I suppose.

While I'm having a moan... Honestly... I do like the game... Really! Thought I might go to the store and see if there's a song I really love and easy to learn but you can't sort via difficulty and what's more it doesn't tell you how difficult it is. How f-ing stupid is that? Come on guys guitar hero and Rockband even let me do that.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 15:21:51 05-01-2014
  • wobbly_Bob 5 Jan 2014 15:36:15 1,608 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Found a list ranking the dlc by difficulty linky :)
  • wobbly_Bob 5 Jan 2014 15:58:02 1,608 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Found rocksmith have a 60 day challenge. Play for at least 1 hour a day for 60 days. You can sign into Uplay and track your daily progress along with other stats. I think it's a good motivator so I signed up. Hopefully with the 60 days goal in sight will help.

rocksmith 60 day challenge
  • wobbly_Bob 5 Jan 2014 18:33:59 1,608 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good session tonight! I'm feeling like I'm progressing so I'm all smiles :) watched/did some of the lessons. I practiced sliding 101 till I 100 pecented it, took bloody ages! Did a song today that I previously found difficult and was doing much better.

Find it really hard to do the recommended alternate picking - the up/down strumming.
  • gamingdave 9 Jan 2014 12:29:16 4,179 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Started last night, put an hour into it. Finding it all very intuitive at the moment, just following the recommendations as they come up. Done a few lessons and played through a couple of tracks.

Got a shock when I went into the riff repeater for Blitzkrieg Bop (which it recommended). It had changed the difficulty to full chords. Obviously I missed everything but it quickly dropped back to where I had been before. Next time I played through I was condiserdably better and buy the end being thrown a lot more notes to play. The next time some basic chords came in.

Very early days, but so far I am definitely impressed. Little things like learning from finger memory where my left hand should be without looking down noticeably improved.
  • Rusty_M 9 Jan 2014 12:43:04 4,565 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:

Find it really hard to do the recommended alternate picking - the up/down strumming.
    It might be worth finding an online lesson for that somewhere, or just practice yourself. Either pick a string and walk up and down frets 1-5 or play a scale on all strings. Gradually build up speed and it will eventually become second nature.

Alternate picking can be a struggle for many beginners, so keep at it.

For the strumming, if you think of a standard count as 1 2 3 4, doubling that is "1 and 2 and 3 and 4" in general, you should strum down on the numbers and up on the "and"

I hope these explanations aren't terrible. I don't think I've put things very clearly.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Dave_McCoy 9 Jan 2014 14:56:46 2,770 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Most annoyed, my guitar strap slipped and I lost the guitar. Just caught it before it hit the ground fully but it'd partly landed on the real tone cable bending it. Now I just get constant feedback from the cable :(
  • wobbly_Bob 10 Jan 2014 16:03:46 1,608 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:

It might be worth finding an online lesson for that somewhere, or just practice yourself. Either pick a string and walk up and down frets 1-5 or play a scale on all strings. Gradually build up speed and it will eventually become second nature.

Alternate picking can be a struggle for many beginners, so keep at it.

For the strumming, if you think of a standard count as 1 2 3 4, doubling that is "1 and 2 and 3 and 4" in general, you should strum down on the numbers and up on the "and"

I hope these explanations aren't terrible. I don't think I've put things very clearly.
    Cheers for the advice. Do you think it's worth picking the frets right from the start with my 4 fingers? It's hard stretching so far but guessing that comes with time?
  • Cappy 12 Jan 2014 14:18:16 11,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've obviously angered the guitar gods.

Last night the G string broke, especially a bummer since I put a fresh set on a couple of months ago and strings always last me at least a year before I start getting problems with tone and intonation.

No problem, I always keep the set I swap out for backup so I swap in the old G, tune it up to D, then let it rest for an hour, come back and slowly tune to pitch, I'm at F# when sproing! This G string breaks also.

Bah! I'm going to have to put a fresh set on, buying a single string is practically impossible these days with all the music shops closed down.

Before I risk another set though, I'll have to play Stairway to Heaven or something as an act of appeasement.

Edited by Cappy at 14:18:36 12-01-2014
  • Beetroot_Bertie 12 Jan 2014 14:56:57 289 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Cappy

It may be just bad luck, but you might have a burr on the nut or bridge saddle that's causing the string to snap. Might be worth checking if you can't placate the immortals with Led Zep :)

@ Dave_McCoy

Perhaps too late now, but the rubber seals from Grolsch bottles are handy for keeping the strap from slipping off.

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 14:57:14 12-01-2014
  • Cappy 12 Jan 2014 16:22:45 11,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Beetroot_Bertie

I think it's the will of the higher powers, the first break was near the bridge, second time was on the opposite end near the tuner, it's a roller bridge too so the saddles don't even have an edge.

I'll just have to do the penance of Five Stairways to Heaven and ten Smoke on the Waters.
  • Page

of 20 First / Last

Next