Rocksmith Page 17

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• DenzilHead 20 Oct 2013 17:21:03 9 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    With the release of GTA V this completely slipped off my radar.

Looking at the setlist, there's very little that appeals to me, but that's hardly the point. As I found with the first game, on paper most of the songs wouldn't do much for me, but as long as they're fun to play, that'll do.

Has there been any mention about sorting out the lag/delay issues when using a HDMI cable? I've got a component cable so swapping them over isn't too much hassle, I'd just rather not have to do it.

Best price for a pre-order on Xbox? I've got the cable from the first game, so just need the game. Seems to be a solid 39.99 everywhere I look.
  • mcmothercruncher 20 Oct 2013 19:53:05 7,539 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @mcmothercruncher
    Yes
    Cheers dude, definitely interested.
  • Nazo 28 Oct 2013 10:28:47 380 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Has anyone picked up the 2014 version? After reading through the US Gamer review I'm thinking about grabbing it.
  • kinky_mong 28 Oct 2013 10:56:05 10,728 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yep I've been playing it this weekend and it's been great fun and a massive improvement over the first game in most areas.

The menus are a hell of a lot better now and the riff repeater has been integrated in a much more intuitive way (you just press one button while playing a song to activate it and the level of options for it are far better). Probably the best update is that you don't have to go through tuning every time you do anything now, it only prompts you when you choose a song/lesson/game with different tuning.

The only minor complaint I have so far is with no journey mode in the game any more it seems a bit direction-less for novices. The game give little recommendation prompts but it doesn't suggest which songs or lessons to do in a structured way any more. You just pick a song and hope it doesn't contain techniques you haven't learnt yet as the recommended lesson will only come up in that songs menu once you played through it a first time.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• chopsen 28 Oct 2013 11:04:34 16,209 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It does recommend songs. I'm not sure how it bases those recommendations, but I though it was related to what/how you'd done in previous songs.

It also recommends specific tasks to complete with individual songs I think. though I only played it for about an hour last night so really I really should shut up.
  • AcidSnake 28 Oct 2013 11:08:16 7,290 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What about the loading times?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• kinky_mong 28 Oct 2013 11:18:13 10,728 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    It does recommend songs. I'm not sure how it bases those recommendations, but I though it was related to what/how you'd done in previous songs.

It also recommends specific tasks to complete with individual songs I think. though I only played it for about an hour last night so really I really should shut up.
    Where does it show the song recommendations? So far all I've seen is "Play an 80's song" in the missions pop up.

Don't get me wrong I think this game is leagues ahead of the first one in most areas but if I was a complete novice going in to this I'd feel overwhelmed if I was playing a song and it started chucking all the icons for palm muting, bends, slides, etc. at me without actually teaching me these techniques first.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• chopsen 28 Oct 2013 11:21:03 16,209 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dunno. I had a list of songs up, and one of the sorting option was "sort by recommended." I kind of assumed it was the default.
  • chopsen 28 Oct 2013 11:26:27 16,209 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Playing on PC, so was never an issue in the first place for me.
  • StixxUK 28 Oct 2013 11:27:48 7,271 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got the cable from 2013 ps3 version, can I use it with the Steam PC version of 2014?

How much is it going for on Steam?
  • CosmicFuzz 28 Oct 2013 11:28:15 25,304 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So is this thing actually any good for teaching someone who cannot play guitar at all? I can play piano so am pretty musical but apart from a very brief foray with an electric guitar for a few weeks, I have no idea what to do with one. Would be great to use this as a teacher though.

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• GuiltySpark 28 Oct 2013 11:32:05 6,461 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think it's like anything, if you put in the time then you'll eventually crack it. It's not a shortcut or anything, it just translates teaching into something that's relatable to us nerds. I'm learning bass with it after fucking about solo for a bit, it is handy, fun too. The difficulty ramps up drastically though, and that can be a bit disheartening.

Also, bass is awesome. Learn bass.

Get bent.

• chopsen 28 Oct 2013 11:36:48 16,209 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There is a "lessons" section that teaches you basic techniques, and the difficulty ramps according to your ability. There is also a riff repeater thingy for getting the hang of tricky sections. I've seen someone who's never played a guitar before get something out of it.

I don't know how well you'd learn outside of playing the game though. It certainly teaches you to get better at playing rocksmith, not so sure if you'd learn how to play guitar IRL...

(not that I know how to play guitar, I'm just starting myself)
  • AcidSnake 28 Oct 2013 11:37:05 7,290 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Playing on PC, so was never an issue in the first place for me.
    I think that was my largest gripe with the 360 version...

Any news about importing the old songs into the new version (not the DLC but the on-disc songs)?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• kinky_mong 28 Oct 2013 11:41:30 10,728 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Dunno. I had a list of songs up, and one of the sorting option was "sort by recommended." I kind of assumed it was the default.
    Ah yeah forgot about the sorting options, I think I must have changed it when I was looking for a specific song after the first one and it's stayed like that since. Ignore everything I said then!

As for learning from scratch, I learnt bass from scratch with the first game with my only previous use of a guitar a brief attempt at using Rock Band 3's pro mode (which is rubbish in comparison and a fucking waste of money getting that pro guitar!).

It definitely works in teaching you, but it's advisable to use it with some other teaching method as well because my technique is sloppy to say the least.

• kinky_mong 28 Oct 2013 11:43:36 10,728 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:

Any news about importing the old songs into the new version (not the DLC but the on-disc songs)?
    Yep, if the game notices a Rocksmith 1 save on your system it will flash up a prompt to import the disc songs from it. It cost about 6.50 on the 360 IIRC.

• CosmicFuzz 28 Oct 2013 12:24:40 25,304 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cool cheers guys, might givw it a go then. Don't mind putting in the work, so long as I can see results.

How patches are ruining the future of gaming My thoughts.

• AcidSnake 28 Oct 2013 13:07:07 7,290 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kinky_mong:
    Excellent news!
    Odd that you'd have to pay for it as I don't think they've added anything to the songs, but still...

• Nazo 28 Oct 2013 13:30:51 380 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sounds like a buy. Do they still use the dynamic difficulty thing? It always felt like trying to hit a moving target to me.
  • Zomoniac 28 Oct 2013 13:41:53 7,908 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nobody got anything to say about the input lag? It rendered the first one completely unplayable for me (even with analogue audio it was still about 300ms out). It seemed to be a completely brick wall for a lot of people last time but nobody's mentioning it for this one.
  • kinky_mong 28 Oct 2013 14:03:27 10,728 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    @kinky_mong:
    Excellent news!
    Odd that you'd have to pay for it as I don't think they've added anything to the songs, but still...
    A charge is pretty standard for that on music games, most likely to cover the licencing fee for the songs on a different "product" or some such.

• barchetta 28 Oct 2013 14:38:17 1,371 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm seeing some strange UI issues where you could be halfway through tuning and it reverts back to start menus etc. I think Kinect may be getting in the way and picking up when not required.

My eldest (9 yrs) is loving this - he had last year's too but it fell by the wayside. This time round - and maybe age is a factor- it looks like a keeper!
  • Nazo 28 Oct 2013 14:52:01 380 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Zomoniac
    I ran the last one through HDMI and didn't get any lag, I think it depends on your setup?
  • Zomoniac 28 Oct 2013 14:55:06 7,908 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well in that case I shall steer clear. Crying shame as it seemed great apart from the unplayableness caused by the lag.
  • Cappy 28 Oct 2013 15:10:13 12,096 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Switching my TV to 'game mode' sorted out the lag for me.
  • StixxUK 28 Oct 2013 15:22:04 7,271 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also you really need to use the analogue audio cables with most av setups.
  • barchetta 28 Oct 2013 15:22:40 1,371 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In terms of lag - I don't think I'm seeing anything game breaking. I have HDMI out to amp and the amp feeds the TV via a second HDMI. I don't think this config is shown on the included sheets.

Sound from amp only, TV in game mode. Onkyo NX-414.

What would have been nice would be for the cable to allow Guitar to Garageband too! :)
  • Zomoniac 28 Oct 2013 15:25:52 7,908 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I used game mode and component with analogue audio after the lag was too bad in HDMI, but it made no difference :(
  • chopsen 28 Oct 2013 15:31:20 16,209 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I played via HDMI from laptop to amp, and it seemed fine.

But I think the lag at that stage was not the rate limiting step, given my cack handed reflexes.
  • Humperfunk 31 Oct 2013 22:43:30 2,392 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just picked it up and thought I'd play the Ramones song on hard. Got two silver trophies and a gold for getting 100%, wahey!

Easy song but still, not bad for a first effort.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Page

of 20 First / Last