Rocksmith Page 15

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• Beetroot_Bertie 21 Jan 2013 17:58:53 290 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My Samsung TV has a game mode but it still suffers from terrible audio lag using the HDMI alone. So much so the game just is unplayable with this method.

I've tried the xbox component cable (directly to TV with audio) but there was a lag even with game mode on and I found it hard to play.

I've also tried the VGA cable and hooked up the red/white audio parts to a hi-fi via it's AUX inputs and that was fine, just not as sharp picture as the HDMI.

In the end I bought a 3rd party (read cheap) audio adapter and use that to send the audio to the hi-fi with aux ports on the back whilst using hdmi for the video (turned TV volume down to zero). Luckily the hi-fi is right next to my telly so it kind of suit me well. This way I get minimal lag and a nice fuller sound, although I'm not sure the neighbours would agree :)

EDIT: In summary analogue external speakers/stereo seems to be the way to go.

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 18:00:00 21-01-2013
  • Nazo 27 Jan 2013 14:35:23 335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I noticed the game says something about free downloadable preview packs but couldn't see any in the store, do they exist?
  • Cappy 30 Jan 2013 17:29:06 11,827 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still playing, still fun.

After a little break to play Mass Effect Trilogy, I'm back to Rocksmith, I'm working on individual songs unlocking master mode but I expect I'll get back to pushing ahead on the career mode this evening.
  • Nazo 2 Feb 2013 08:36:27 335 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is there a way to practice more than one section at a time? It would be nice to practice transitions without having to play the whole song.
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Feb 2013 12:44:09 14,387 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    First time I have played in a couple of months...yet again!

Love it, I have just murdered In Bloom, and that is me being generous to myself;-)

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 14:04:38 04-02-2013

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Cappy 4 Feb 2013 12:57:28 11,827 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nazo wrote:
    Is there a way to practice more than one section at a time? It would be nice to practice transitions without having to play the whole song.
    I don't know of one.

I'd have liked the option to review a 'tab' of the song every time you pause. One real hurdle to learning songs is that you have to keep up with the original tempo unless you're fortunate enough to be offered the section giving you problems in the riff repeater.

For the heavy riffing, fast tempo tracks your eyes can barely keep up, let alone your hands, your only option is to keep on failing until the phrase level goes right down to you playing little more than root notes, then you have a long frustrating journey back when all you wanted was a chance to get a good look at what you had to play and figure out an efficient way of doing it.

Edited by Cappy at 12:59:30 04-02-2013
  • AcidSnake 4 Feb 2013 13:10:49 7,214 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If I get stuck on a section and it's not given in the two usual riff-repeaters I just select it from the song list...

It is sometimes difficult finding the section you mean though...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• orpheus 4 Feb 2013 14:25:32 993 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah just go Songs / Track Name / Repeater and go through each section. Would be nice to be able to slow the whole track down, but sadly not an option.

I'm getting the hang of In Bloom now, learning chords is slow work for me, transitions are the hardest part. Also learning the solo to California Brain, as it's quite cool. Tough on 100% though!
  • Cappy 4 Feb 2013 15:48:05 11,827 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Come to think of it, is there any way of knowing which direction you should be picking on sections that require strumming?

As I understand it, I could be wrong, for instance when you have a chord followed by translucent blocks, the start of each block represents when you hit the chord and how long it should ring for.

Rocksmith isn't too good at picking up whether you get it right or wrong though, so I've had to resort to finding the songs on Youtube so I can keep listening to certain parts repeatedly and figure what is happening amidst the guitar noise and work out picking patterns.
  • orpheus 4 Feb 2013 17:02:46 993 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Cappy Not really, at least not that I've seen. You just have to go with whatever's comfortable.
  • orpheus 18 Feb 2013 20:00:15 993 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Approx. 29 hours in now, and have made my way up to the first tier with Drop D. Trying to learn the proper chords for the chorus of 'play with fire' atm, actually seeing some improvement. Not got the guitar callouses yet tho sadly, my fingers fucking kill! :D
  • mcmothercruncher 9 Mar 2013 19:32:19 6,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Loaded this up tonight after a long break (from it, not guitar/bass).

Still fucktard clunky menus.
    Still hate that I'm on "a journey".
    Cannot BELIEVE how much they're trying to charge for songs and song packs.

Overall though, great stuff once you're in a song and in the groove. I've a six string bass turning up next week, don't think it'll be at all compatible with the bass side of this though...
  • mcmothercruncher 9 Mar 2013 20:17:11 6,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Because of all the creepy clones? ;)

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 20:17:29 09-03-2013
  • crispyduckman 9 Mar 2013 21:14:12 1,856 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher I haven't tried the game with my 5 string but, if you tune BEADGC on your 6, I presume you just ignore the B and C.

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• Cappy 9 Mar 2013 21:32:24 11,827 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Haven't played it in a long time but the gig audiences still give me nightmares.
    I've been getting worried about them trying to get backstage after the gig.
  • mcmothercruncher 9 Mar 2013 21:49:36 6,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers CDM, shall give it a whirl.

Agreed, the crowds are a bit Children Of The Corn ;)
  • orpheus 20 Mar 2013 22:15:15 993 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    *grits teeth*

I WILL learn Plug In Baby \o/
  • Cappy 2 Apr 2013 21:49:01 11,827 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm back after another break, I'm having to take rests before doing some of the songs and exercises though. A five song gig is murder, I usually take a break on song three to give myself some energy for the final two... The creepy crowd sense my weakness and request two encores, they winnow out the weak.

Tremelo picking saps my energy quickest of all. I earned the gold medal on the exercise, but only when I came in fresh without any playing beforehand, otherwise I'm flagging half way.

That's why pro musicians spent their youths practising six hours a day I guess, it's about building stamina as well as skills.
  • mcmothercruncher 18 May 2013 15:51:46 6,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm back too, with a quiet house this weekend, working through some more bass and guitar songs, moving toward world domination, a house in LA and hepatitis B.

Now the songs are getting more complex, it's disappointing to see Rocksmith struggling a bit to render the notes fast enough, jesus, it's not a 3D world. Right at the peak, it starts to stutter a bit as the notes come at you. Not great in a game where timing is everything.

Most annoyed about the greed of Ubisoft though, just cannot fathom how they justify charging 24 for a song pack, unbelievable. A quid a song and a fiver for a whole bunch of them in a genre is as much as I'd ever pay and, seeing as Ubisoft require me to pay at least four times that it doesn't look like I'll ever be taking them up on the offers constantly circling in every bloody menu.

Yeah, it's the best real musicians have got and it's a lot of fun, but there is room for a lot of improvement if there is ever a sequel. Maybe there won't be at the price they're asking for all of the post launch DLC.
  • Dave_McCoy 18 May 2013 16:05:19 2,770 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Most of the track packs have been split down at 240 points now. But the big packs were silly money. I'm still enjoying it though, at rank 7 now. Downloaded White Wedding which is quite a lot of fun. :)
  • Cappy 20 May 2013 23:34:04 11,827 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My progress has really slowed since I'm really trying to get the most out of each song chasing the elusive 100%, no DLC packs for me, I'd love a crack at White Wedding though.

I'm finding that even the songs I don't like much have a few things to teach me, as a musician Rocksmith is pretty useful since it's constantly taking me out of my comfort zone.
  • mcmothercruncher 21 May 2013 09:15:45 6,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, totally agree. Really not interested in ever learning an Eric Clapton song post the Cream days, but even that sort of MOR stuff teaches/refreshes aspects of song writing that are worthwhile.

I'm sure you all know and I'm probably late to the party, but, if you ever need to push over the hump to get to the next stage, take a bit of time to learn a song or two that you can play in a master mode gig, they're worth 200-250k easily if you pull them off.
  • Cappy 24 May 2013 11:10:18 11,827 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a lightbulb above the head moment last night.

The setup on the guitar I use most has been left untouched apart from some slight adjustments to the truss rod to correct seasonal changes in the curvature of the neck.

Playing this guitar has been so tiring, really hard in fact. It always felt less 'slinky' and pliable when it came to string action than my previous main guitar.

I knew that the string break angle from the bridge to the the stop tail effected tone but I was happy enough with the noise coming out and didn't want to monkey with it.

Last night somebody elaborated further on the string break angle, mentioning that a severe angle increases string tension... And that lightbulb lit up.

I checked. The stop tail was almost to the deck. Two full turns of the adjusting screws anti-clockwise and all that horrible stiffness was gone. It's made the exercises in Rocksmith considerably easier, especially harmonics and I don't have to maintain crushing pressure to keep barre chords ringing out cleanly.

My last guitar had a trapeze tailpiece so I must have got used to a shallow break angle and a more slinky feel to the action.
  • mcmothercruncher 24 May 2013 12:13:49 6,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great stuff, it makes a noticeable difference, huh?

That's the reason a few players run their strings over the stoptail like this:

• Cappy 24 May 2013 12:27:23 11,827 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The action feels totally different. Before, you didn't bend strings, the strings bent you.

I don't have to maintain so much pressure to play notes cleanly which means I can play more fluidly now.
  • Humperfunk 1 Jun 2013 22:49:56 1,914 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Managed to complete a "master" setlist today, very chuffed.

Got so many hours out of this, incredible game.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• JohnnyIsTruant 2 Jun 2013 01:16:24 57 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Seeing this thread made me want to jump back into the game again. I've gotten shite. Had a brainwave though, imagine a rocksmith type game with an optional hud with occulus rift support! Standing on stage at a virtual woodstock and shit, that would be fantastic.
  • brokenkey 2 Jun 2013 11:28:25 6,942 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So have any of you guys learnt from scratch with this game?

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Page

of 20 First / Last