Rocksmith Page 14

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• Rusty_M 15 Jan 2013 22:53:00 4,565 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chords and riffs are my strong points, as they always were. If you want to get your hands used to chords, an acoustic will really help. They require a considerably stronger grip, so when you switch back to electric, you barely realise you're playing.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• orpheus 16 Jan 2013 17:15:45 993 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah not a bad idea that, I do have one kicking around somewhere. Got the first Black Keys track up to 97%, and doing ok on the other starter tracks as well, but it throws me when it suddenly starts chucking chords at me!

I should do a diary. 'Noob meets Rocksmith' lol.

EDIT: Badass, the chords for Go With The Flow are finally starting to sink in! May actually be learning something! *falls off chair* :D

Edited by orpheus at 20:01:29 16-01-2013
  • liamthemaster 16 Jan 2013 21:44:27 1,556 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Learnt the start of Plug in baby which I used to know a few years ago,played 6-7 notes then my hands just played the whole start by themselves weird how muscle memory works :S
  • Rusty_M 16 Jan 2013 21:45:31 4,565 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had that with Take Me Out. I saw a part that I couldn't read come up, as I struggle to read the Rocksmith notation, but some memory kicked in and I played the riff the way it was displayed.

• Kosmoz 16 Jan 2013 22:55:35 7,580 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just did the fourth show, that was in a venue almost identical to Liquid Rooms in Edinburgh, and it was my best yet. I've decided not to fiddle with the set lists as I have no prior guitar experience other than a few failed attemps at some fairly basic stuff.

So anyway, Vaseline, Use Somebody (fuck, what an awful song that is) and Where Is My Mind??? seem to be fairly easy songs for beginners.  Unlocked to authentic tone for Vaseline so I must be pretty decent at that one.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• Rusty_M 16 Jan 2013 23:19:52 4,565 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How could you see what the inside of the Liquid rooms looks like? It's always so dark and full that I've never got an impression of the place itself.

I may also have not been exactly sober.

• Kosmoz 17 Jan 2013 00:59:43 7,580 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Waiting in the merch queue means I've been there when all the lights go up. And trying locate drunk people after the bands finish. That always takes a while.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• AcidSnake 17 Jan 2013 08:48:39 7,214 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Vaseline is a bitch on bass...Not difficult, just the same repeated notes in uncomfortable positions...Hurt my forearm in the end...

Which I like as that means I'm training properly right?

Finally edged 90k on I Got Mine yesterday...I like how there's a sort of hidden logic that has entered my brain where I'm sometimes unsure which note I'm supposed to play, pick a random position for my hand and actually hit the right one...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• warlockuk 17 Jan 2013 08:58:22 19,133 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Vaseline is a bitch on bass...Not difficult, just the same repeated notes in uncomfortable positions...Hurt my forearm in the end...

Which I like as that means I'm training properly right?
    I don't know the track, but... which forearm? The picking arm or the fretting arm? Positions don't really matter too much, as long as you find a clean position that's easy to transition. Like typing - you can learn to touchtype but sometimes it's faster and smoother to just type with whichever finger is closest to the key.

That said, I've just this second realised that I use all the fingers of my left hand when typing, and only my thumb, index and little finger of my right hand when typing. Weird.

There's a few warmup techniques you can do before playing which I'd seriously recommend as to not cause injury... but again, it depends on the track. If it's actually easy you just need to man up and practice. If it's a difficult track then you'll need warming up before playing so you don't cause injury - playing in a Death Metal band has taught me that not warming up can have some alarming results.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• AcidSnake 17 Jan 2013 09:11:42 7,214 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @warlockuk:
    It's the fretting hand...

The song is a series of first fret, third fret, first fret, third fret etcetera on the top chord...

I came up with a solution where I just keep the first one pressed and alternate using my ring finger but that gave terrible results, so now I just alternate both...

Writing this small text has shown me I still have no idea what the different strings are called which is a shame...

Another thing I would have liked is videos of someone performing the song (playable at various speeds) and maybe when you pause the game it can tell you which section you're in or have a sub option to automatically start training on just the section you're in at that moment...

Thanks for the warm up advice though...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• warlockuk 17 Jan 2013 10:12:21 19,133 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @AcidSnake If you're getting cramp on that hand you should definitely warm up a little.

An easy exercise would be (presuming five string bass):

G ---------------------------------1-2-3-4-
    D -------------------------1-2-3-4---------
    A -----------------1-2-3-4-----------------
    E ---------1-2-3-4-------------------------
    B -1-2-3-4---------------------------------

(Basically play the first, second, third, fourth fret then go up a string. Do that with your index finger for 1, middle finger for 2 and so on - so you only move your hand along the board and not up the neck. To that at a speed of about two notes per second (120bpm) and then play it backwards - 4-3-2-1 etc. Then play it backwards but still low string to high string).

I'd film a few quick warmups for you, but I'm at work :D

Had a quick listen to the song - it sounds like you're supposed to fret the bass on the first fret and then use your ring finger on fret 3 (I presume that's the finger between the little finger and the middle finger). You can probably warm up with that too - use the same warm up as before but instead of going 1-2-3-4 go 1-3 on each string. Then if you wanna be a bastard do 2-4 coming down (using the middle finger and little finger). I've got one exercise I do that's just using the ring finger (ooer) and the little finger. Hurts like a bastard.

tl;dr - play more ;)

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• AcidSnake 17 Jan 2013 10:55:56 7,214 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @warlockuk:
    Cheers for that!

It's a 4 string bass (not sure if the game supports 5 strings) but I get the principle...
    I'd worked out the theory of keeping the first fret pressed the whole time and adding the third but like I said it didn't work for me...Maybe I should've tried it until it worked but I went with the more laborious way...

Isn't it called ring finger? Oops :)

• warlockuk 17 Jan 2013 11:42:17 19,133 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @AcidSnake I think it is called that. I'm just a nomenclatural luddite :D

Another pattern I quite like for warmups (again, index finger in all the 1 positions, middle finger on the 2s etc):

G ---------------------------------1-2---------3-4-
    D -----------------1-2---------3-4-----3-4-1-2-----
    A -1-2---------3-4-----3-4-1-2---------------------
    E -----3-4-1-2-------------------------------------

I think that's been referred to online as a spider-walk pattern. But yeah. Just practice doin' it the right way, you'll get used to it. You'll be playing stuff like this in no time :p

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• warlockuk 17 Jan 2013 11:43:31 19,133 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spacing on that's all screwy :/ You might wanna quote it or sommat just so you can see it better spaced out in a window.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• AcidSnake 17 Jan 2013 12:02:00 7,214 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @warlockuk:
    Much appreciated!

I also ruined my index picking finger yesterday on that I Got Mine song...Got to 84K a few times...After I retuned the bass (using the precision tuner) I got 89.9K and the one after that 90+K...

It finally started registering those hammer-ons...

Anyway, so far I'm very positive about this game...It's exactly what I expected, with a slightly better set list then I'd expected...

Too bad the DLC tracks cost so damn much as there are some awesome songs/packs in there...

• warlockuk 17 Jan 2013 12:03:47 19,133 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @AcidSnake yeah, the cost kinda puts me off. That and the compulsion to ignore the score and just play what I want. I have the same problem with Rockband - I'll think the song's tabbed wrong :D

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Red_Bool 18 Jan 2013 12:16:52 1,173 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aargh! I just can't do the main riff for I Got Mine (guitar) at full speed. It's driving my family nuts :) The problem is not so much the fretting but more the picking - I just can't seem to find a proper and consistent way of not getting stuck in the strings with my pick. Any advice would be appreciated. (It doesn't get any stranger than this, asking guitar playing advice on a gaming forum ;))

Funny how I can finish the song (Notes arrangement) at 90k+, but when I listen it back it sounds horrible :)

@warlockuk: That's some good advice about the warm-up!
  • Rusty_M 18 Jan 2013 12:25:32 4,565 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hold the pick a little closer to the tip maybe?

What type of pick are you using?

Which one is I Got Mine? I can't remember if I've played it.

Edited by Rusty_M at 12:26:13 18-01-2013

• Red_Bool 18 Jan 2013 12:40:45 1,173 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Rusty_M
    Holding the pick closer to the tip is worth a try...good one!
    /Grabs pick from pocket
    It's a Dunlop .96mm (the ones with the crocodile on it). I've been experimenting a bit what thickness feels best. So far this has worked fine. I still have some thinner and thicker ones lying around. Which would you suggest?

I Got Mine is from the Black Keys - At the start of my Christmas holiday I just went through the list of songs and picked one to try and play perfectly. This one just stood out as being sufficiently challenging. Plus it's an awesome song to listen to as well :)
  • Rusty_M 18 Jan 2013 12:47:51 4,565 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you're getting caught in the strings, I wouldn't go for a thin pick which flexes a lot. They're mostly suitable for chord arrangements or rhythm parts anyway.

.96 or 1mm should probably be about right.

I find the game uses quite a high gain which means you don't need to pick terribly hard. Exercises will also help you. Eventually you'll just automatically know where the tip of the pick is.

• Red_Bool 18 Jan 2013 13:33:26 1,173 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers!
    Regarding exercises: when does the scale-runner mini-game unlock? (google didn't find me a consistent answer). The name sounds like it's the perfect exercise for me :)
  • Beetroot_Bertie 18 Jan 2013 14:08:09 290 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't know if it's just me but does anyone else find their plectrum rotating round as they're strumming/playing?

I had a go at the Queens of The Stone Age track (on event 2 or 3 I think) last night and tried to play it as I heard it by adding in the extra notes to the basic rhythm. By the end, the point of the plectrum had rotated round to the side, making it harder to get at the strings.

It's a Dunlop Tortex .50mm, a bit flexi but easier for strumming for me at this point.
  • Red_Bool 18 Jan 2013 16:05:28 1,173 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Beetroot_Bertie - That didn't happened to me yet, but my pick did tend to shift around a bit between my fingers. I recently switched to the Dunlop Gator Grip picks, which have a rough ( "sanded" ) surface compared to the smooth Tortex ones. Now the problem seems much less.

Edited by Red_Bool at 16:07:56 18-01-2013
  • Beetroot_Bertie 18 Jan 2013 18:00:08 290 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice one thanks. Will look into the Gator Grips (and reassess my grip) :)

Regarding the events, does anyone have any thoughts whether it's best to plough on through them and improve over time or take more time initially on each song first?
  • Chopsen 18 Jan 2013 18:12:51 15,702 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the important thing is to have fun. I think some people get pissed off with endlessly re-doing the same thing and prefer variety (o/) some people prefer to get the satisfaction of finally nailing it after a lot of effort.
  • neems 21 Jan 2013 15:47:04 1,148 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Those of you with the PC version might be interested to know that it is possible to put custom tracks into the game.

This guy in particular has some excellent work (and also a link to the project forums) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ikyycxn83g
  • DUFFMAN5 21 Jan 2013 16:20:29 14,387 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chaps can anyone let me know their set up if using just a 360, HD tv and the lead that came with the game, I'm using the Les Paul that came with the bundle. I want to get back into this, but would like to lessen the lag somewhat.
    Cheers

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• AcidSnake 21 Jan 2013 16:31:44 7,214 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So direct HDMI to TV?

Best bet would be to see if your TV has a "game mode" on the HDMI channel...Otherwise not sure how to reduce lag further...

• DUFFMAN5 21 Jan 2013 16:37:48 14,387 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @AcidSnake
    Yes mate
    If I use my TB wireless headset it is a lot better, in fact only a slight lag that doesn't make much if any difference. If I have sound through the tv the lag is bad. I do have a game mode, I will nedd to check to see if it is on :)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• neems 21 Jan 2013 17:02:30 1,148 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    See if you can buy some cheap speakers would be the easiest way, apparently RS does not play nice with HDMI audio.
  • Page

of 20 First / Last