Rocksmith Page 13

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• Cappy 2 Jan 2013 00:32:04 11,959 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unfortunately a lot of the songs I've played so far aren't available there yet. :-(
  • HitchHiker 2 Jan 2013 09:02:40 2,776 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's strange, I have access to all the songs and I'm not very far into the game.

Edited by HitchHiker at 09:02:52 02-01-2013
  • neems 2 Jan 2013 09:13:50 1,251 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah you should be able to access every song you have - hit space to bring up the menu, and select songs (start if you're using the 360 controller).
  • Rusty_M 2 Jan 2013 09:30:28 4,706 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm actually finding it hurts my fingers less than I thought it would. I've been playing guitar a long time, but I'm out of practice. Playing this for hours on end hurts less than even one hour on my acoustic at the moment.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Cappy 2 Jan 2013 12:48:02 11,959 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I tried the songs menu again and found the song I was looking for, I guess I was too impatient and not waiting long enough for all the buttons to load.

In terms of interface it could be a lot better, loading everything in one long strip makes finding anything a pain, I can't imagine DLC makes it any better. It should be arranged by artist first alphabetically, then a sub menu for songs.

Edited by Cappy at 12:48:20 02-01-2013
  • Rusty_M 2 Jan 2013 13:00:23 4,706 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you scroll left on the songs menu, there are at least sorting options. If you then scroll quickly, it goes through the alphabet rather than individual tracks.

• wobbly_Bob 2 Jan 2013 13:13:29 1,798 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really wish that the songs had a difficulty rating for each so as a beginner I know what songs are going to be best to play first. Also, on the store a preview would be useful.
  • neems 2 Jan 2013 20:04:42 1,251 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I always check out YouTube before buying dlc if possible,there are plenty of videos up, and some people are very good indeed.
  • Red_Bool 2 Jan 2013 20:40:21 1,173 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob - I think the order of the songs in the career is also an indication of difficulty. Although I found Higher Ground a bit of an odd-one-out in that respect... I've been working more towards learning one or two songs perfectly before moving on, so I haven't really progressed the career beyond the 3rd set.
    As a personal goal I'm currently trying to perfect playing "I got mine" by the Black Keys. Not sure where that is in the career though, I just like the song :)
  • Cappy 2 Jan 2013 21:45:11 11,959 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The adaptive difficulty will pull things down to a level you can handle, so the initial difficulty of any particular song is no issue. As a beginner you'll just be playing root notes and the odd bit of fill, then slowly as your phrase level for each section goes up, the level of complexity increases.

If you totally foul it up, the phrase level goes back down to what you are comfortable with. I totally flubbed the minimal solo for Where is My Mind? When the adaptive difficulty suddenly decided I should give it try.

I'll get it on another run through, if worst comes to worst, pause so you can take a good look at what you're being asked to play, Rocksmith rolls back about a second when you resume giving you time to jump back into the tune.
  • orpheus 3 Jan 2013 14:39:05 1,003 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My copy arrived today, with a working code in it, to my slight surprise. Was expecting to have to flub around with Ubisupport, quite glad I don't have to! Had a half hour blast as I've work to do this afternoon, but will be on it again later I suspect.

First impressions: I'm shockingly bad, lol... so so bad. But I 'get it', and am grinning like a cheshire cat despite being utterly terrible. I really think I'm going to get into this; I played guitar hero at expert level for years, and people were always telling me to learn a real guitar. This is close enough that I don't feel horrifically out of my depth, it doesn't shriek at you when you fluff it or expect too much from the player initially.

The adaptive difficulty is odd to start with - at the moment even swapping between strings is a bit above my level, so when it hurls extras at me I tend to go 'uhhhh', look at the guitar and fluff a whole section. But if I do that, it seems to scale it back, which is nice - I know I can just look at what's coming and think 'nope', and it'll carry on regardless til I'm comfortable again. It's just a case of learning the fret/string positions, of course, and if I can do that on GH then I can do it with this, it'll just take longer.

Not had any actual lessons for a good 16+ years, but I remember enough to get me started, and I can already feel the bug again. Very pleased I picked this up.

Crowd is creepy as all fuck tho ;)

Edited by orpheus at 14:40:20 03-01-2013
  • orpheus 3 Jan 2013 14:51:02 1,003 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @orpheus

The crowd is just flat out wrong, why they put that in I don't know. Copy and paste five people all doing different weird and totally inappropriate dancing.

They all like like they're at the office party too, not a rock gig!
    Yep, it's the pseudo-photo faces that really creep me out. Animated Guitar Hero style crowds are fine, but these guys... it's like playing a gig in a correctional facility :D
  • Rusty_M 3 Jan 2013 15:39:47 4,706 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One of the early venues is eerily similar to Bannermans in Edinburgh.

• madwlf 3 Jan 2013 17:36:41 74 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been playing this quite a bit over xmas and loving it still. Apparently I'm now a 'national act' and have unlocked the master skill setting, even though I'm far from anything than a beginner on bass.
    Enjoying the DLC tracks too. Have improved so much through this game.
  • Rusty_M 3 Jan 2013 21:57:13 4,706 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Master mode took me by surprise when I actually tried it. I didn't know what it would involve.

• neems 3 Jan 2013 23:52:48 1,251 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wait until you start getting master mode encores :-)
  • orpheus 4 Jan 2013 01:11:20 1,003 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Only thing I'm finding so far is that the adaptive difficulty seems to ramp up a little fast for my liking, resulting in encountering sections and just going 'nah, no chance'. Don't suppose there's any way to slow things down a little? Hitting a good note streak once does not equal perfecting it! :p
  • neems 4 Jan 2013 14:43:39 1,251 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well if in doubt, just keep playing what you were before anyway, you'll still get some points and it will adjust back pretty quickly. Alternatively, panic and just hit random notes.

In all honesty it's generally worth having a go in the riff repeater to get an idea of what's going on - I don't think tablature was ever really designed with sight reading in mind. When I know a song fairly well I barely look at the screen, just glance at it occasionally to check if there are any variations / bits I've forgotten about.
  • chopsen 4 Jan 2013 15:25:41 16,087 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does anybody else get irritated by the fact the notes come at you at an angle? I find it difficult to work out which note comes first if they're very close together
  • Petulant_Radish 4 Jan 2013 15:41:06 613 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Does anybody else get irritated by the fact the notes come at you at an angle? I find it difficult to work out which note comes first if they're very close together
    Yes! Very much yes! It also muddles my brain about what fret I'm supposed to be on, though maybe that's because I'm thick.
  • Cappy 4 Jan 2013 15:43:24 11,959 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, that happens to me sometimes, it's even worse in Scale Runner, it's sometimes really hard to figure where you are in the sequence because everything is at a 45 slant.

I'm an absolute demon on the Phrygian scale, but not in Scale Runner,
  • chopsen 4 Jan 2013 15:52:56 16,087 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good to know I'm not the only one then! It's the one thing that really marks this game down for me. I can forgive most things, I even quite like the adaptive difficulty, but this seems like such a stupid design choice I'm amazed it made it in to the finished game.
  • Cappy 4 Jan 2013 16:48:34 11,959 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Most of the time it works, it's just when things get busy, especially on the songs with quicker tempos where notes get bunched up into clusters which are difficult to decipher quickly.

It's obviously like that because they can display more of the fret board diagonally across the screen than they could if it was straight. When it zooms out for parts which involve a lot of movement up and down the neck, people with smaller displays might be having trouble seeing what's going on if it was straight.

The more I practice the better I cope with it at least.
  • orpheus 4 Jan 2013 19:42:28 1,003 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Nazo 6 Jan 2013 17:27:57 362 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Finally took the plunge and picked this up. This is such an improvement over RB3 pro mode it makes Harmonix look a bit silly for the approach they took. Being able to actually hear what you play makes such a difference (Duh).

That said, I prefer the string based display of Rock Band over Rock Smith's so far, I find it hard to follow where I'm supposed to be playing, I like that it highlights where you should anchor your fretting hand though.

The adaptive difficulty seems like a good idea but it seems to ramp up way too quickly and introducing techniques / notation that hasn't been introduced yet makes it even more confusing. I'd definitely like the option of playing at a fixed difficulty when I want.

I can definitely see this as complementing the lessons I'm taking though which RB3 never did (even though it was buying that that got me started)
  • Kosmoz 8 Jan 2013 23:45:58 7,700 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Had my first play of this today, playing the bass. I have no real previous experience but the game seems like a good way to start learning. Practiced a few songs and techniques and played the first show. Enjoying it so far apart from the stupidly high difficulty at the start of islands by the xx. Managed the rest of the song ok though. Playing in my dressing gown like a true rock star.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• ZuluHero 8 Jan 2013 23:50:10 4,175 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @orpheus

The crowd is just flat out wrong, why they put that in I don't know. Copy and paste five people all doing different weird and totally inappropriate dancing.

They all like like they're at the office party too, not a rock gig!
    I quite fancy the girl in the front row, third from the left. And I fancy her again in the 2nd row. And the 4th row. And the 7th row....

;)
  • angeltreats 15 Jan 2013 20:13:10 2,602 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got this in the post today. Having great fun with it so far but two years of playing the ukulele has ruined my guitar muscle memory and I can't stretch over more than three frets at a time anymore. Plus steel strings are a lot more evil than nice nylon strings and cut your fingers to shreds for the first few weeks. The song selection is pretty good too.

Think it will be a while before I'm anything better than Amateur.
  • orpheus 15 Jan 2013 20:56:46 1,003 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just lost over an hour endlessly repeating the basic chords to the first Nirvana track you come across in the career mode. I suck so hard at chords, can't even manage basic ones lol. Tried the Chordead game and that seems ok, but will need a lot more practice to beat this one/get chords in general!
  • Page

of 20 First / Last