Rocksmith Page 12

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• wobbly_Bob 28 Dec 2012 09:13:51 1,762 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TOOTR wrote:
    Tempted to pick this up but am concerned if it really is a good aid for a complete beginner or not?

Anyone picked it up as a beginner , stick with it, and seen real improvements?
    My experience :-)

Never even touched a guitar before this. So i definitely fit the complete beginner profile.

My personal opinion us that it fails totally in its claim to teach guitar. I think that if you have experience of playing guitar then its probably good.

I hate the progressive difficulty because it ramps up way to
    Fast for me. there's no sense of progression or achievement because of that. Having never played I find it hard just to find the right string and frett.. The game goes ooh you hit a few notes have some more and ooh have palm mutes and bends and now chords too. I'm just trying to know where my hand should go! Hang on! By the time I find 4th string 3rd frett then 6 notes have whizzed by.

So my experience is I got really frustrated and put it away intending to go back and have another fresh go with it. So a about a month ago I got it out again more prepared for the mountain I knew awaited me. I had determination and told myself this time it will be different.... Same result: frustration that im not getting anywhere leading to anger and bordem. It feels like a chore to play. Playing guitar is boring.

Except that it's not. I sat down with video lessons and written lessons. I found out how to read tabs. I got crazy happy at being able to play the first few notes of jingle bells. Wow this is fun! I'm grinning like an idiot as I master more notes of jingle bells and remember it too! I'm learning and getting better at my own pace and it feels so great. I have a massive sense of accomplishment. This is fun!!!

Now I still play rocksmith and because I have been learning outside of the game I'm doing better with it. The game is good practice for me and the mini games and lessons are helpful. I wouldn't be playing rocksmith if I wasn't trying to teach myself to play guitar.

So would i recommend you buy it? Difficult to say. I certainly wouldn't be Trying to learn guitar now if I hadn't so it's good in that way. I would say only get it if you are really serious about learning guitar and are prepared to do a lot of learning and practice outside of the game. Of course you could save some money and just buy a guitar :D
  • HitchHiker 28 Dec 2012 09:23:40 2,775 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @HitchHiker

The PC version is better in that lag isn't really an issue as lag is caused by using an HDMI cable (on consoles) for picture and sound. On PC it's much more likely you'll have a DVI connection with separate sound connection.
    Hope that won't be an issue for me, I'm running W8 in Bootcamp on my iMac.

Goodfella wrote:
    As you say though, there were copies shipped that didn't come with a code, not just Amazon either. I got my copy from HMV and found there wasn't a code, I filled in a form on Ubisoft web site (with picture of my receipt attached) and they mailed a code to me later that day.
    Why do they do this, stupid frickin hoops to jump through because we pay for stuff!

Edited by HitchHiker at 09:23:50 28-12-2012
  • Leolian 28 Dec 2012 09:36:22 1,085 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Game is awesome! I am a long term guitar player though, and there is notable lag on the 360 for me through PC video and optical audio through an amp. Was up late last night learning some foos yeah!
  • LeoliansBro 28 Dec 2012 09:37:22 44,246 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ha! Good to hear.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Rusty_M 28 Dec 2012 13:00:17 4,690 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone know what price this is in store at HMV? Thinking of trading stuff in for the PC version today or tomorrow.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• HitchHiker 28 Dec 2012 14:35:09 2,775 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Typical. Managed to find the PC version today in Game for 39.99. Got it home and there's no key inside. Now I'm going through the customer support option. I'm fed up of these first world problems. :/
  • TOOTR 28 Dec 2012 14:48:56 9,566 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for the feedback all :)

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Rusty_M 28 Dec 2012 16:29:03 4,690 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @hitchhiker
    That's pretty gutting. One would think that'd be sorted by now.

Is the PC Version Steamworks or just u(don't)play?

• HitchHiker 28 Dec 2012 17:14:30 2,775 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Steam by the looks of it.
  • Rusty_M 28 Dec 2012 17:22:55 4,690 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    good.

• orpheus 28 Dec 2012 17:52:18 1,000 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Caved in and picked this up, should arrive soonish. Fully expecting no activation code & having to arse about with support etc, but looking forward to giving it a whirl.
  • Rusty_M 28 Dec 2012 18:34:24 4,690 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It'd have cost them much more to recall it than to just reissue codes when people moan.

• neems 28 Dec 2012 20:06:23 1,243 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Originally from Kotaku, and reposted on the Steam news page for the game -

"Though it recently removed its onerous always-on DRM requirements of PC games, evidently the fact people are still able to play them remains a concern for Ubisoft. That must be why the publisher shipped copies of Rocksmith in Europe without activation codes. On the other hand: Totally secure product!"

That about sums it up I guess. In fairness, when I had this problem UBI support were marvellous, sent me a key within the space of a few minutes.
    Should still never have happened though.

Still love this game though - since the pc release in mid(?) October I have apparently racked up 113 hours, and bought myself a new guitar. And learnt to play the theme tune to Top Gear. More-or-less.
  • HitchHiker 28 Dec 2012 22:31:32 2,775 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ok, so it was a 4 hour wait for the key and a hoop to jump though, getting a digital photo of the receipt. Not something that was "arduous" by any means but would have many other customers stumped or put off. WTF are Ubisoft playing at?

Installing now, will try the game tomorrow.

Edited by HitchHiker at 22:32:07 28-12-2012
  • Rusty_M 29 Dec 2012 16:45:11 4,690 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chalk me up as another statistic. Picked this up in HMV today - mine also came without a key. Hopefully support will be quick.

• orpheus 29 Dec 2012 17:54:28 1,000 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone had the key problem with an online order? Will a screenshot of the purchase confirmation/email be acceptable?

Also, while I'm thinking about it, is there any multiplayer component? Not terribly fussed either way, but could be fun.
  • Rusty_M 29 Dec 2012 18:19:54 4,690 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's plenty of mention of it in the Amazon reviews. Whether they will accept a shot of the purchase screen, or whether you need to photograph the invoice I don't know.

• Beetroot_Bertie 29 Dec 2012 18:33:40 294 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @orpheus

Yep, there is some multiplayer. I've not tried it out as you need two real tone cables and two guitars/basses (which I don't have) to get beyond the multiplayer setup menu but the game definitely has a local multiplayer option (on the 360 version anyway).
  • Cappy 30 Dec 2012 14:39:54 11,940 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yay! 87% on my second run through Where is My Mind?

It's a snap once you've figured out that barre-ing your forefinger across the E and B at the fourth fret lets you play the verse part riff really efficiently with just one finger moving. I just need to sharpen up on the picking and get the rhythm dead on.

They should have made that one of the first songs to ease beginners in a bit more.
  • neems 30 Dec 2012 19:48:01 1,243 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Isn't there a unison note in that riff, where you have to play the 5th fret on the (B) string and the open (e) string at the same time?
  • Cappy 30 Dec 2012 21:09:58 11,940 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure, not so far anyway, perhaps the adaptive difficulty will drop that in at some point. I called it a day at 97%, my hand was getting too tired to continue.
  • Rusty_M 1 Jan 2013 12:07:52 4,690 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well I got my key yesterday, and have been having a lot of fun with this. I need to get some analogue cables to connect my PC to my amp, as there's noticeable lag with optical and HDMI. Not so much that I can't play, but it's there.

• Rusty_M 1 Jan 2013 18:12:31 4,690 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Holy crap! Only had this a day, and played for 9 hours already!

• DUFFMAN5 1 Jan 2013 18:18:30 14,683 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Holy crap! Only had this a day, and played for 9 hours already!
    Wow, you want to get yourself some kids. That will slow you down ;)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• HitchHiker 1 Jan 2013 18:29:47 2,775 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rusty_M

My fingers would be shredded if I played that long!
  • Chopsen 1 Jan 2013 21:16:15 15,996 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ever get the feeling the audience is patronizing you?
  • Cappy 1 Jan 2013 23:13:23 11,940 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Definitely.

I think the audience only turn up to take the piss and cheer me on as an act of irony.

Invariably, by the time I've got through learning the five songs that make a set at my current level, I'll already be rusty on the ones I learned first. I wish there was some sort of rehearsal mode that allowed you to keep on practicing songs you've qualified for previously. Maybe they unlock in the songbook at a later stage.
  • HitchHiker 1 Jan 2013 23:58:31 2,775 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There is, you can choose Songs from the main menu and rehearse any in song you want in the game.
  • Page

of 20 First / Last