Rocksmith Page 11

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• bladdard 19 Dec 2012 19:49:00 899 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm now on level 10 and my interest is beginning to wane. Progress is a grind, earning points barely increases my level progress and I need to post near perfect scores for all songs. So now I'm riff repeating every section of every song, it's beginning to feel like work.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 19 Dec 2012 20:27:09 291 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Currently down to £33 (inc. cable) on Amazon for anyone thinking about getting this cheaper. I'm getting for chrimbo so a bit late for me, but hopefully of use to someone else.

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 20:27:27 19-12-2012
  • Cappy 19 Dec 2012 20:50:00 11,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks! I just ordered the PS3 version.

I was looking at this earlier today in GAME, it was priced at something ridiculous like £69.99 which sent me running.
  • Red_Bool 20 Dec 2012 11:08:25 1,173 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @bladdard

Well, it's not really a game. Learning to play guitar is a bit of a grind.
    +1
    A common misconception is that this is a game. While it contains mini-games to help you improve your technique, the main part is all about learning to play the guitar. And like learning to play any instrument, it is hard work (and sometimes a grind). Rocksmith (at least for me) makes learning to play a LOT more fun and much less of a grind. Just don't ask my wife and kids whether they feel the same ;)

Also the points system doesn't work - it makes it look like you're doing really well, while in reality you (probably) are not. Example: I got around 90k on "Go with the flow", but when I checked the replay (yes, it will replay your run with all your glorious mistakes) it showed that for the duration of the song I was fretting the E-power-chord wrong (which is a *very* large part of this song).

By the way, I find watching/listening to the replay invaluable to learning what you're doing right and wrong, plus it helps learning the notes - I play along parts of the replay to find the correct fingering, what strumming pattern works best, etc.
  • Cappy 22 Dec 2012 12:47:18 11,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :-)

My copy arrived, which wasn't expected, Amazon's delivery estimate had it arriving after Christmas. Four days turn around on the super saver free delivery.

Unfortunately I've hurt a finger on my fretting hand.
  • jimnastics 22 Dec 2012 13:03:09 248 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Beetroot_Bertie wrote:
    Currently down to £33 (inc. cable) on Amazon for anyone thinking about getting this cheaper. I'm getting for chrimbo so a bit late for me, but hopefully of use to someone else.
    Damn it, back up to £47.99 :(
  • Cappy 22 Dec 2012 13:17:53 11,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sore finger or not I had to give Rocksmith a try.

One problem, hollow body and semi hollow electrics, my guitar drowns out the output from the TV. Not much can be done about that I guess, all my guitars are semi or fully hollow body.

Good fun so far!
  • Cappy 22 Dec 2012 21:54:28 11,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm having a really good laugh with this, the adaptive difficulty certainly keeps things interesting.

Okay... I think I've got this figured out, back to the verse part again... Shit! Oh shit! Oh shit! Look at all these extra notes! What's that chord? Arse!
  • Chopsen 23 Dec 2012 00:22:07 15,713 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. I saw a review that slated it for the adaptive difficulty, but I think it's genius personally. There you are happily chugging away away on the lower end of the 5th and 6th string and then all of a sudden....PANIC!
  • Radamel 26 Dec 2012 04:22:14 587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've got an Ibanez with a floating bridge/Floyd Rose, which is an ass to tune everytime I break a string and need to replace it.

Does any guitar expert here know if it's going to give me trouble playing the game? Since it's always asking us to tune the guitar to a different key, I'm a little worried my guitar goes ape shit every 10 minutes of play time.

Ó mar salgado, quanto do teu sal
    São lágrimas de Portugal!
    Por te cruzarmos, quantas mães choraram,
    Quantos filhos em vão rezaram!
    Quantas noivas ficaram por casar
    Para que fosses nosso, ó mar!

• Red_Bool 26 Dec 2012 08:18:44 1,173 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Radamel - I'm no guitar expert, but so far Rocksmith hasn't asked me to tune to a different key. I think the only variation you'll find is drop-D. It does check your tuning before every song, which is usually fine even for my cheap-ass guitar :) Even if necessary it's usually a tiny bit off, so no need to get worried.
  • AcidSnake 26 Dec 2012 11:01:37 7,214 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Started yesterday, now my fingers hurt :)
    I don't like that adaptive difficulty,makes me panic and lose the position of my hand...

That said I'm loving it so far...

Also, I'm using a Samsung home theater dealy connected straight with hdmi which gives a slight lag, but here's my pro tip:
    Once you've started the game change sources on the sound system (which in my case loses the picture too) and then change back...removes all lag for some reason...

Hope that helps some people...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• liamthemaster 26 Dec 2012 14:27:16 1,557 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What would create less lag, normal audio (red/white) to mixamp then headphones or optical to mixamp ? thanks
  • Cappy 26 Dec 2012 15:02:54 11,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Switching your TV to game mode helps if it has one, that eliminated lag for me.

Yes, Rocksmith will incorporate different tunings at some point, you'll be switching to drop D tuning quite often after you've progressed to local support with lots more tuning fun as you progress.

How long are you guys holding on for before you progress to a new song? I try for 90%+ accuracy, I'm surprised at how much fun it's been playing all sorts of music I'd never normally listen to.

Though I have to draw the line at the Red Hot Chill Peppers, I never liked them much and Higher Ground is ear curdlingly awful. Chugging, repetitive riffing that's no fun to play, I qualified for that one quick and knocked it off the set list.

Edited by Cappy at 15:04:07 26-12-2012
  • Beetroot_Bertie 26 Dec 2012 16:02:56 291 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got mine set up today (yay!) just with HDMI but got noticable audio lag despite the telly being on game mode.

Swapped over to a VGA cable with the red and white audio going to a hi-fi and all seems OK thus far.

I've just played my 2nd game of ducks and the game seems to confuse my fretting. It'll show a duck on the 3rd fret but I'll have to play the 2nd for it to shoot up the correct column which is a bit odd. I don't think the intonation is too bad on the guitar but could it be an issue?

Edit: Got gauge 9 strings on my guitar.

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 16:05:19 26-12-2012
  • DUFFMAN5 26 Dec 2012 16:07:31 14,392 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Beetroot_Bertie wrote:
    Got mine set up today (yay!) just with HDMI but got noticable audio lag despite the telly being on game mode.

Swapped over to a VGA cable with the red and white audio going to a hi-fi and all seems OK thus far.

I've just played my 2nd game of ducks and the game seems to confuse my fretting. It'll show a duck on the 3rd fret but I'll have to play the 2nd for it to shoot up the correct column which is a bit odd. I don't think the intonation is too bad on the guitar but could it be an issue?
    Re the mini games, you are right, the game is shite for knowing what you are freting, not a big deal I know, but still pissed me off, so I stopped playing them, same for the baseball game.

Re lag. I use the leads that came with the game (360) and the set up the game advises and the lag is bad, however when I use my wireless TB's instead of sound through the TV it is only slightly noticable, and makes the learning tool a wonderful thing.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Beetroot_Bertie 26 Dec 2012 16:22:03 291 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Glad it's not just me then :D. I've tried ducks again and found it's more receptive if I fret lightly. I think my finger pressure and perhaps pulling on the neck too much is shifting the pitch too much.

Going to check the intonation next. It probably doesn't help that the strings are about a year old :)
  • Cappy 26 Dec 2012 16:38:38 11,829 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ChorDead is probably my favourite of the mini-games, followed by Ducks. Big Swing Baseball is probably the least liked, due to me never using string bending much, I'm pretty bad at it.
  • Red_Bool 26 Dec 2012 18:30:54 1,173 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Beetroot_Bertie - it most likely is you pressing too hard on the strings, unless your intonation is *really* bad - if you have a tuner you can check your intonation quite easily: 12th fret should register more or less the same as open strings. I noticed the same with Ducks, press too hard and it thinks you're somewhere else.
  • Beetroot_Bertie 26 Dec 2012 20:51:42 291 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for that. I have checked my intonation and all strings were playing sharp on the 12th fret. Not too much mind, apart from the low E which is the unruly child of the bunch. I've had to remove the spring from behind the saddle on the bridge to allow it back as far as it will go and that seems to have sorted it.
  • AcidSnake 27 Dec 2012 08:43:07 7,214 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd like to repeat how I solved my lag as it may help people by simply switching sources on the home theater setup once the game has started...Even through HDMI that gave me zero lag...

Also only noticed yesterday my TV has a game mode so I'd like to see what does...

Can't play today I think as my fingers hurt too much (playing the game with bass)...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• liamthemaster 27 Dec 2012 17:36:25 1,557 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Love the game so far but it's not one for beginners I went from playing go with the flow of it just making me do 1 note over and over I get an encore and I'm playing Boys don't cry with a full riff and chords(which the game didn't teach me if I didn't already know)

The feeling of playing along properly with a song is great and adjusting on the fly.
  • TOOTR 28 Dec 2012 06:44:22 9,494 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tempted to pick this up but am concerned if it really is a good aid for a complete beginner or not?

Anyone picked it up as a beginner , stick with it, and seen real improvements?

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• DUFFMAN5 28 Dec 2012 07:02:34 14,392 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @TOOTR
    Hi mate. You will need to have played before, even a little. If you come into it fresh, it will be frustrating. It is a very good learning tool and a lot of fun, but to start off with, you would do better with free lessons of the intetnet :-)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Chopsen 28 Dec 2012 08:30:52 15,713 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And to give a contrasting opinion, my brother-in-law was up over xmas and picked up Rocksmith having never played guitar before, and he enjoyed it. His fingers hurt so he couldn't play for very long, but he enjoyed it. My sister-in-law, who *has* picked up a guitar before though never really got anywhere serious with it, got really frustrated with it.

So it depends!
  • HitchHiker 28 Dec 2012 08:43:26 2,762 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I want this but am deciding whether to go for the the PC or the 360 version. Think I'd get more time on the PC version as the Mrs likes to watch TV. It's currently £35 on PC at HMV but out of stock.

There's also people complaining about the PC version from Amazon because they don't come with the required codes to unlock it.

Edited by HitchHiker at 08:44:58 28-12-2012
  • AcidSnake 28 Dec 2012 08:49:56 7,214 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I haven't really had much experience at all (though I knew about the nomenclature and hammer-ons/pull-offs and such) and I'm enjoying myself and seeing improvement...

Weirdest improvement I've noticed (on bass) is I can now when it checks tuning prior to the song fingerpick every string in sequence without resting my hand on anything, so basically knowing exactly where to find the individual strings without looking/feeling...

• Page

of 20 First / Last