Rocksmith Page 2

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• Deleted user 10 February 2012 12:37:49
    After playing a couple of songs:

It pretty fucking hard for a cack-handed idiot like myself and i have to keep looking down at my hands to make sure they are where they should be so i was getting a bit frustrated at my own shitness.

Then i nailed a good chunk of the end of "Go With The Flow" and i got the big-dumb "i'm actually doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!" smile and now i think i love it.

The technology in the game is astonishing. Rockband et al seem a bit silly by comparison.
  • Rusty_M 10 Feb 2012 12:52:22 4,864 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Very interested in this. It could get me back into playing guitar after about a year off

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• souvlaki 10 Feb 2012 15:30:32 728 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think a PC version will be out soon - I would definitely import that :)
  • StixxUK 10 Feb 2012 15:45:32 7,271 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm ordering this tonight!

PS3 version is region free for real right?

Does dlc work?
  • souvlaki 10 Feb 2012 16:11:33 728 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes and Yes..... hmmm, do I hold out. I get the Vita in a couple of weeks, so I really should.
  • Deleted user 10 February 2012 23:40:54
    Spent another couple of hours with the game this evening. It's fucking hard for a complete beginner such as myself and i would not recommend it if you get frustrated easily.

I have to look down to see where my hands are on the frets which leads to missed notes, which leads to slight panic and more fuck ups.

You can't "fail" the songs though so it really is a good learning tool and i am feeling a tiny little bit of improvement already.
  • mcmothercruncher 11 Feb 2012 09:56:24 7,527 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, I totally forgot about this.
    I don't know- I've played for years and am probably sort of 'advanced' in terms of being able to improvise and noodle away for a session.

That said, there's not a lot of theory to back that up and my knowledge of what note is where outside of strings 1, 5 and 6 is foggy still.

At the end of the day, it's combining my two favourite hobbies in a meaningful way so definitely interested.

Where's the best place to order? Maybe Canada?
  • mcmothercruncher 11 Feb 2012 10:11:02 7,527 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ... no, 80 Canadian $ minus postage and tax. However various places in the US have it reduced to 50 US Dollars or about 30 with shipping on top obviously. Where did ya grab it from fellas?
  • RichieTenenbaum 11 Feb 2012 10:58:46 2,226 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    release this in europe already!
  • Deleted user 11 February 2012 17:06:44
    Hmmmmmmmmm.

The adaptive difficulty and just difficulty overall in this game is odd. For instance at the moment i need to get 35,000 points on "Vasoline" by Stone Temple Pilots to progress. My best score with 81% accuracy is 16,000ish. If you keep getting crap scores the game drops the points needed after 3 or 4 failed attempts which is the only way i've gotten past any songs other than the first two you have to play. So basically i can't tell if i'm improving or the game is making itself easier to help me out :(

Also, the game is starting to introduce power chords now and my hands simply just can't physically make the correct shapes, let alone move that shape about on the guitar neck. I'm having a hard enough time as it is moving about and holding down one string.

I'm convinced people who can play guitar are wizards of some kind. It all seems borderline impossible to me. If you could fail the songs like in the plastic instrument games then i'd still be on the third track in the career.
  • Deleted user 11 February 2012 23:09:24
    Right, so i've done a bit more reading about the game and beginners guitar in general.

I'm playing it wrong apparently.

Don't go into it expecting Rockband/Guitar Hero and the kind of progression they have. The reason they made it so you can't fail songs is because if you are a beginner you are supposed to be shite and fuck up a bunch. The game isn't trying to punish you for missing notes. It's not about that.

If you are hitting stuff easily it ups the difficulty a little bit to push your skills and if you fuck up it puts you back down so that you solidify what you were doing previously because you aren't good enough yet. You're expected to replay songs a few times to get the hang of them because if you move on too quickly you won't have the skills for the next tier of songs.

So basically, don't go into it as a beginner expecting to fly through the game because it won't happen. The game gradually teaches you new stuff and it makes sure you can do it properly before it lets you move on.
  • philreeduk 13 Feb 2012 19:00:28 325 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    i am really tired waiting for this to be released any good sites where i can import this from??
  • RichieTenenbaum 13 Feb 2012 19:25:49 2,226 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Every time this thread is bumped I expect an announcement.

It's like the Firefly thread. :(
  • Pinky_Floyd 14 Feb 2012 01:19:50 8,258 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Still want this, have all the gear and baby is temporarily in my guitar room so this might fill the practice gap nicely.

Been playing a few years, soloing still crap, will this game improve it?
  • DarthKebab 14 Feb 2012 13:26:31 403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loved playing the two Pearl Jam tracks at the weekend, wish the dlc was more frequent
  • Pinky_Floyd 14 Feb 2012 13:46:15 8,258 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Does the solos and everything, guess they can be slowed down to aid learning. Man, the interface looks like it could take a little while to get used to. I'm used to tab but the speed makes me kind of go google eyed.

Where have you folks bought it from? Planet axel have it at a good price but they take forever to deliver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=iv&src_vid=LBfckRI0G4I&annotation_id=annotation_811491&v=zoophSS4FAQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOJRmUgxsJU&feature=related
  • Pinky_Floyd 14 Feb 2012 13:53:25 8,258 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Actually this article raises some interesting questions, the most worrying being around lag and the lack of a difficulty selector.

Would love to hear comments from you guys who have the game.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/10/the-three-reasons-rocksmith-fails-as-a-way-to-learn-guitar.ars?comments=1#comments-bar

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 13:53:37 14-02-2012
  • mcmothercruncher 18 Feb 2012 09:13:24 7,527 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, the lag issue bothers me and has stopped me pulling the trigger on the game so far. It isn't like a magic patch is going to fixorise things either-you've got a small amount of hardware lag built into the lead and then any extra your system adds in treating the sound in digital format via hdmi.
    Sure I can go all 1990 on its ass and use analogue audio leads but I don't really want to fuck around with my setup each time I launch the game and then revert it each time I load another. If it was cheap then maybe I'd still go for it... but it ain't :(
  • RichieTenenbaum 18 Feb 2012 11:24:39 2,226 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    EURRRRRROOOOPPPPPEEEE
  • StixxUK 2 Mar 2012 19:10:28 7,271 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm having great fun with it, the difficulty is perfect for someone of basic level. I would probably not recommend it for a total beginner.

With the HDMI through a receiver the lag was unplayable. Through a PC monitor and direct into some 2.1 speakers it's great.

Really well done game, far from perfect but bang on for what I was after.
  • muddyyfunster 19 Mar 2012 09:19:12 37 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just picked this up on PS3 whilst on a business trip to the US. Must say it is quite impressive so far. Only played for about 2 hours but the technology is amazing and the 'game' seems well made.

My setup uses HDMI out for both video and audio into a 5.1 amp which passes through the video to my TV.

Initially I was disturbed by lag in the early tutorials but then remembered that I normally have +10 avsync setting on my amp for movies. Changing this to 0 (i.e no delay) and the problem was solved. Barely any perceptible audio lag and convincing experience.

I'm pretty much a beginner guitarist. I'm keen to learn, love music games and a sucker for new tech, yup I AM the target market for this!

I only started playing last year and have had a few lessons and can play a few basic chords and know my way around the fret board. I own Rock Band 3 with the fender squire (my only electric) so just use that with the game. It does slightly highlight the shortcomings of this particular guitar in so far as it seems to lose tuning on the low E a bit too easily. Hardly game breaking but requires more trips to the tuning menu than I'd like.

Great set list and decent tutorials thus far. I'm optimistic this is something I'll stick with longer than RB3 (which I kept at for about 6 months). With RB3 the gap between easy and medium was too large and having to play muted in order to actually pass songs impacted badly on the experience. With Rocksmith being able to hear your playing live is an absolute revelation! Additionally as someone with an amp but little clue on setting it up the way the game automatically configures the gain/treble/bass song by song is fantastic and adds to the authenticity of your playing.

It is obviously a guitar trainer more than a game and if you don't want to learn there is little here for you. Similarly if you want to learn but have never so much as picked up a guitar then I can see Rocksmith very quickly becoming frustrating as the absolute basics are barely explained.

Hope they release this in the UK as although it's a bit niche it deserves to do well. RB3 might have got there first but the technology in this truly feels like the future of music games as learning tools.
  • X201 19 Mar 2012 09:22:14 15,694 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    muddyyfunster wrote:

Hope they release this in the UK.
    Do you lot read the news?

14th September 2012

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/03/16/play-real-guitar-on-your-ps3-with-rocksmith/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-15-ubisoft-guitar-game-rocksmith-finally-gets-uk-release-date
  • Deleted user 19 March 2012 09:28:45
    X201 wrote:
    muddyyfunster wrote:

Hope they release this in the UK.
    Do you lot read the news?

14th September 2012

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/03/16/play-real-guitar-on-your-ps3-with-rocksmith/

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-15-ubisoft-guitar-game-rocksmith-finally-gets-uk-release-date
    I doubt many of us read news from the future :p
  • muddyyfunster 19 Mar 2012 10:32:20 37 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oops. As I mentioned I was in the US until yesterday so must have missed that!

Glad it's getting a UK release. Selfishly I'm even more glad it's not till September given that I just paid $80 for it over there!
  • GuiltySpark 18 Apr 2012 07:50:02 6,461 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It seems like the release date is going to keep getting pushed back and back, and importing doesn't seem that much more expensive, so gonna import.

What is the situation with the DLC? Will I need an American account? How easy is that to implement and can I still use my debit card or would I have to buy American PSN cards? Can you run a UK profile and USA profile on the same console?

Lots of questions, sorry! Cheers to whoever answers.

Edited by GuiltySpark at 07:50:52 18-04-2012

Get bent.

• muddyyfunster 19 Apr 2012 00:08:10 37 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If you have a PS3 it works perfectly and is well worth doing. I self imported a copy on a recent business trip.

DLC - you need to make a US PSN account to access the US store to select and download songs (easy - google it). You need to buy US PSN cards online to add credit as you cannot purchase direct from US PSN store using a UK credit/debit card. I bought from electronicfirst.com who immediately emailed a scan of the PSN card. You can run a US and UK profile on the same console.

I download and install DLC using my US profile and then play with my UK one so that progress and trophies save correctly to my usual profile.

All in all its fairly easy.
  • GuiltySpark 19 Apr 2012 00:54:32 6,461 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thank you very much dude, I'll order tomorrow. Then need start looking for guitars, gonna go the electro acoustic route I think.

Get bent.

• DUFFMAN5 14 Aug 2012 16:19:41 15,223 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hi chaps
    Any more feedback (get it ;) )on this. I had preorderd the full kit including axe, but have cancelled as I'm not 100% sure. Can I play just through the tv/xbox ?
    I play to a basic level, know most open chords, can barre no problem, but can't solo for love or money.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• brokenkey 14 Aug 2012 16:54:28 7,121 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @clert must be time for a progress check on the 6 month project?

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• X201 23 Aug 2012 14:49:09 15,694 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "Concrete" release dates of 27 September (console) and 18 October (PC)

http://www.vg247.com/2012/08/23/rocksmith-to-finally-release-in-europe-next-month/
  • Page

of 20 First / Last