Rocksmith Page 9

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• DUFFMAN5 23 Oct 2012 11:53:15 14,419 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Is this 'game' any good for someone who has played guitar for 20 years, myself that is?
    It is great fun. 20 years of playing...you might be an axegod in which case...it is fun to play.

I first picked up a guitar 15 years ago, however like a lot of people I hardly/have hardly touched it. I can run through an amount of songs but only chorde really, no lead for me :(

I have only just started this (as mentioned above) and all I can say is, where have you been all my life. I'm thinking that I'm more likely to put an hour a night into this and then play games than I was ever going to play the 3 guitars on stands in my "games" room...that says it all for me at least.

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Petulant_Radish 23 Oct 2012 12:00:16 597 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Goodfella wrote:
    Is this 'game' any good for someone who has played guitar for 20 years, myself that is?
    It is great fun. 20 years of playing...you might be an axegod in which case...it is fun to play.

I first picked up a guitar 15 years ago, however like a lot of people I hardly/have hardly touched it. I can run through an amount of songs but only chorde really, no lead for me :(

I have only just started this (as mentioned above) and all I can say is, where have you been all my life. I'm thinking that I'm more likely to put an hour a night into this and then play games than I was ever going to play the 3 guitars on stands in my "games" room...that says it all for me at least.
    This has inspired me to get it, as you're basically me by this description!
  • ZuluHero 23 Oct 2012 12:04:56 4,023 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As Iíve said before, I had lessons when I was younger Ė but not played for ages and slipped into some very bad habits (lazy chord positions and the like) and the game is really tightening up my technique.

Even If youíre a semi-competent guitarist and love games like Guitar Hero and want to feel part of a bigger band experience, then I think you would love it.
  • Red_Bool 23 Oct 2012 14:45:11 1,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @AcidSnake - From the US Ubi website:
    Which features can I use with my bass?
    Nearly everything playable with guitar can be played with a bass! There are brand new bass technique challenges and instructional videos, bass specific equipment for playing in amp mode, and even bass support for most Guitarcade games.

See also:

Just buy it already, it's awesome! ;)
  • AcidSnake 23 Oct 2012 14:54:16 7,214 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Excellent news! Thanks, mate!

I'll buy it soon enough...I've just ordered three games, so I'd like to go through those first (finish at least one) before I jump unto this...

I am however confused about the DLC as I have a US Live account...Does that mean I get more songs available or does it depend on the gametype (PAL) anyway?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Kostabi 23 Oct 2012 18:48:08 4,876 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Okay, another question about the Bass DLC, does anyone know if it has specific bass lessons or just the songs tabbed for bass guitar?
    I haven't really spent much time with it but there are definitely bass specific techniques/lessons in there aside from the songs. Looks just as full featured as the regular guitar stuff.
  • mcmothercruncher 23 Oct 2012 18:58:07 6,472 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It has specific bass lessons and, as far as I can see, the guitar songs set-up to learn with bass lines. I'm playing through with both bass and guitar now.
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Oct 2012 11:54:51 14,419 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chaps
    have any of you had issues with the ducks game/mode. The ducks do not correlate with the frets on a lot of occasions, not a major problem, but it would be nice if they did as they were supposed to.

Is anyone else playing on 360 just using the normal set up with hmdi from 360 to tv...if so how is the lag. I'm still using the wireless Turtle Beaches which are 99.9% spot on, but still the smallest of smallest lag.

Defo think I need to get the extra leads as I'm "missing" the note/chord prompt a fair amount...only I know I'm not...well not all the time ;)

Back to how awesome this is. I spent an hour playing "Good enough" both chords and single note this morning. I love Tom Petty so very happy to see it on here.

2 days in and I have spent 3 hours with the game...Which is longer than the previous 24 months on guitar (seriously)...I know it is not all down to Rocksmith and it has a lot to do with me lacking discipline/time over the said amount of months, but that is behind me now.
    Lindsey Buckingham,Peter Green et al watch out :)

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 11:56:41 24-10-2012

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 12:32:52 24-10-2012

• AcidSnake 24 Oct 2012 12:01:50 7,214 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers everyone for the bass lessons confirmation!

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• madwlf 24 Oct 2012 12:07:09 74 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes there are plenty of Bass lessons. Not really played it much since I picked it up a few weeks ago, as a bass beginner I hit a wall after the first performance due to not having any technique.
    Now, after a few weeks of practicing I feel I can use all my fingers fairly well and jump from one string to another with moderate success. I'm going to try again with the game and hopefully be able to progress a bit more.
    Agree with everything said though, it is very, very fun, but for a complete beginner studying/practice outside of the game is very much needed.
  • Red_Bool 24 Oct 2012 12:19:31 1,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 - Stupidly obvious question perhaps, but did you try adjusting the delay settings in the Options? (haven't tried it myself mind, since I don't notice any lag)
  • DUFFMAN5 24 Oct 2012 12:32:12 14,419 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    @DUFFMAN5 - Stupidly obvious question perhaps, but did you try adjusting the delay settings in the Options? (haven't tried it myself mind, since I don't notice any lag)
    not a stupid question...the answer is no in fact. I'm not sure if that would sort the lag, but it is the next test. I put the tv on to "game" mode like the manual suggests, will take it from there. :)

• sunjumper 24 Oct 2012 12:52:49 3,184 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Regarding the lag.

The biggest problem I am having right now is not the lag produced by the TV but the lag of the sound.

When I strum a string on my bass it takes about half a second before the sound can be heard. (This is after switching the sound so that it goes 'straight' through the optical out of my sound card, before I had a lag of around one second)

While the lag was OK during the first few days when I was happy to find the right fret in time by now it is tuning into a rather serious problem. While one can get used to the lag by 'pre-strumming' it will ruin my technique by teaching to play with a horribly out of synch timing. . .
  • Rusty_M 24 Oct 2012 13:28:09 4,579 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm wondering if that is to do with the PC version. I think PCs may be more prone to audio lag but I'm not sure.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Dave_McCoy 24 Oct 2012 17:56:59 2,771 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I started to find it unplayable through just the tv. I bring my PC speakers down now and plug the audio in to those. Much better experience and it sounds better anyway.

Not been able to play the last few days but I can't wait to get back to it. As a seriously lapsed player it's certainly getting me back in to it...and highlighted how out of practice I am. I had to use riff repeater on the intro for Panic Switch but the muscle memory seems to have kicked in now.
  • Rusty_M 24 Oct 2012 18:54:43 4,579 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't have PC speakers and I don't fancy playing with headphones on mainly. Hopefully my amp will be OK either through HDMI or optical. Although I still haven't bought it yet, so I could go for the PS3 version.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• madwlf 28 Oct 2012 23:43:06 74 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone else bought some of the dlc tracks? Some of them are really good!
    I've downloaded a few, but before I go crazy on it, a question for Steam pc users. I've never bought dlc before from Steam, so next time I have to reinstall the game will the dlc automatically download?
    Don't want to throw money away if I can't download it all again in the future.
  • sunjumper 28 Oct 2012 23:49:38 3,184 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    By now I have the lag far enougn under control that the game has become useful again.

The strange thing is that the lag was caused mainly by my soundcard, switching back to the onboard sound has made the response time about 4 times faster.
    That with tweaking the ini file has lead to the game from being unplayable to working OK.

@madwlf
    As far as I know Steam automatically installs all DLC that you own for a game.
  • orpheus 29 Oct 2012 18:56:21 994 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Be interested to hear if the PC version is any good, whether it has lag/soundcard issues etc? Anyone not been able to get it to work?

Just noticed there's a demo... how does that work without having the cable-thingy?
  • mcmothercruncher 29 Oct 2012 20:47:10 6,472 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you have a choice, always go analogue for the sound, never a method that requires conversion to digital from your analogue guitar output. And turn off any post processing on your amp, if it has any and just output direct/raw sound.

I've been fiddling for ages to get the lag setting right in game. Aside from the horrendously slow menus and loading times, it has been the biggest gripe for me. The number of times I've booted it up to realise I forgot (again) to switch the ps3 over to RCA/analogue... aaaaaarrrghh!

Aside from that, still an awesome game :)
  • Sonic_D 31 Oct 2012 14:45:43 126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Been playing this for a week (just had a 5 day break though), thus far I am impressed. Guitar n00b BTW.

However I can see where the failure to register something being played properly and the opposite where it reckons something has been played correctly but hasn't could cause problems as I progress through the game.
  • Red_Bool 31 Oct 2012 15:38:16 1,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Sonic_D - Trust your ears over the game: if it sounds good it probably *is* good. And of course also the other way around :)
    I had a very good run of "Next Girl" yesterday, at least according to Rocksmith (98% accuracy, ~250 note streak)...When listening back (and even during playing already) it wasn't sounding as stellar as the game would lead me to believe :)
  • Sonic_D 31 Oct 2012 16:56:51 126 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Red_Bool I agree, but sometimes at the time it's hard to tell with the background track playing. I think I may tweak the sound levels. Listening to the playback can be a painful experience, I sound bloody awful! Does this promote sloppy technique in the long run? Not sure.
  • madwlf 9 Nov 2012 10:20:03 74 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's well worth a go. I'm actually enjoying playing now and feel like I'm getting somewhere.
    I'm trying to get to grips with Bohemian Rhapsody. Although it starts off dead easy on the bass it really picks up. But I'm trying and trying and trying and slowly getting further into the song without messing up.
  • Dave_McCoy 14 Nov 2012 14:21:32 2,771 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why do Ubisoft seems to think it's a good idea to catch up with all the DLC already out in the US in HUGE bundles at 2400 MS points a pop?

I really want to play some of the tracks but don't want to drop nigh on £20 on a track pack. Can't we have it in groups of 3-5 songs like they were originally released?
  • kinky_mong 14 Nov 2012 15:31:50 9,962 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Can you not buy the tracks seperately? That sucks.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Page

of 20 First / Last