Rocksmith Page 6

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• wobbly_Bob 5 Oct 2012 06:33:23 1,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    So this IS good then? Havem't played my tele in ages, and thought this might be a good use for it.

Nooby question, but can you plug the epiphone from the bundle into a real amp and play it like a normal guitar?

Seems like a good deal if so.
    Yes because it is a normal guitar :) you can use any guitar with the game that has a standard 1/4 inch jack so your telecaster would be fine to use with the game.
  • wobbly_Bob 5 Oct 2012 06:36:15 1,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dave_McCoy wrote:
    @ibenam I'm not sure. I'm loving it at the moment but I'd be a bit worried about a complete novice. I already know most of the chords, major, minor, 7ths, flats, sharps but I'm thinking increasingly that it'd be quite daunting to a new starter.

It's not bad at all at introducing new techniques. My advice, if you did get it, is to do every tutorial it throws at you and do them twice...at least.

It is great fun though. Loved playing Where is my Mind by the Pixies. The amp/pedal effects are spot on and make my old battered guitar sound great. Occasionaly I have to make sure it is my guitars sound coming out of the speakers. Lovely stuff.
    I'm a complete noob so I will find out from saurday! I have been reading up on the basics so hopefully thay prepares me a bit. I'm ready for a steep learning curve. I'm ready to be very patient and take it real slow. Wish me luck!
  • kinky_mong 5 Oct 2012 11:09:55 10,466 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Looks like Amazon have completely removed the game + guitar bundle for Xbox. Arse, was going to use my voucher to get that. :(

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• wobbly_Bob 5 Oct 2012 11:38:57 1,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Guess they sold out rather than removed it.

What about going on amazon and buying game and cheap giutar? You could still use your voucher and I'm guessing would total about the same as the bundle!

The game is 48 ( includes cable ) so since the bundle was like 123 that leaves you 75 to get an electric guitar. If you want, of course, you could pay a bit more.
  • andywilkie35 5 Oct 2012 11:40:30 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Put a good few hours into this yesterday.

Most satisfying moment was getting the achievement for beating a 750 note streak and over 100k on a song.

Really is magnificent, very pleased I got involved.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• THFourteen 5 Oct 2012 11:45:46 33,881 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://ewguitar.com/2011/11/21/rocksmith-review-for-beginning-guitar-players/

good review of the game from a beginners perspective
  • TFM_Excalibur 5 Oct 2012 11:57:52 1,064 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Loving this now, although it feels extremely unatural to strum upwards, the fast note sections are killing me lol
  • mcmothercruncher 5 Oct 2012 19:14:01 7,241 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you're doing that already you're doing yourself a MAHOOSIVE favour TFM. It feels really odd at first, but stick at it- alternate picking is really key if you want to play accurately and at pace in the future.

It's going to hurt your fingers at first wobblyBob- it doesn't last more than a week or two though and your fingers toughen up. I suspect a fair amount of people try guitar and then give up in that early period because it hurts too much...
  • wobbly_Bob 5 Oct 2012 20:34:55 1,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for the advice mcmothercruncher. I'm gonna break through the pain of barrier!

Speaking of the up and down picking, and does the game teach you that? Is it something that I should do all the time from the get go or is it only used in certain situations? Is it strumming or picking notes that you should alternate up and down?
  • Dave_McCoy 5 Oct 2012 21:21:09 2,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob The alternate picking will help with any long line of single notes but you will have to upstrum on chords too for it to sound right. It should hopefully come as you play, the game hasn't recommended alternate picking yet.

If you find alternate picking tough, wait til the tremolo picking ;)
  • Rusty_M 5 Oct 2012 21:39:24 4,772 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still waiting for the PC version to come out, but I suck at tremolo picking even though I've been playing for 19 years.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• TFM_Excalibur 5 Oct 2012 22:21:37 1,064 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rusty_M

Demo's up on steam if you get yourself a cable mate.

And will keep at it, possible the most fun game i've ever played.
  • Rusty_M 5 Oct 2012 23:07:19 4,772 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I noticed that. I'll have to just hold off until the full release, as I'm sure getting the cable and the game separately will prove more expensive.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• TFM_Excalibur 5 Oct 2012 23:12:53 1,064 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Play.com have the cable for a straight 20 quid if that helps any.

Ignore that, it's 35 for both on amazon.

Edited by TFM_Excalibur at 23:16:28 05-10-2012
  • mcmothercruncher 6 Oct 2012 09:21:43 7,241 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ... I did hear the cable isn't super tough, it'd be good if you can get a spare.
    I've got the game cable snaking out the back of the tv and into an extension socket thingy where I plug a regular guitar cable into the other end. That way the strain is all being taken by the bog standard guitar cable.

Had a long session last night- I'm officially a "local support act" now ;)
    I still can't think fast enough when new notes I'm not expecting come up.
    A niggle that surfaced last night was that, via the regular "songs" menu, you get access to all of the practice stuff to learn sections of the songs. Great, but, via the regular "journey" and gigging bit, when you load a song up (often that you haven't played before) you don't have any of that. You've just got to muddle through the song as it comes to you. Feels a bit like chucking you into the deep end needlessly. You should just always have access to the practice stuff wherever you are.
  • mcmothercruncher 6 Oct 2012 12:23:13 7,241 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Woohoo- 12th in the world at the Ducks game :)

I dug my bass out this morning and, much the same- a really fun way to play.
    It seems that there are bass arrangements for every guitar song there is so there's decent value for money there if you just wanted to play bass.
    Not too impressed it keeps asking me to play with a pick- that's going to go down well with about 50% of bass players out there, fingers all the way for me.
  • wobbly_Bob 6 Oct 2012 12:45:43 1,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmothercruncher wrote:
    Woohoo- 12th in the world at the Ducks game :)

I dug my bass out this morning and, much the same- a really fun way to play.
    It seems that there are bass arrangements for every guitar song there is so there's decent value for money there if you just wanted to play bass.
    Not too impressed it keeps asking me to play with a pick- that's going to go down well with about 50% of bass players out there, fingers all the way for me.
    Wow fucking hell well done :-)

I got to open mine up this morning and love it but as a total guitar noob I'm finding it so hard. I even have trouble finding the right string let alone pressing the right fret. Also it's hard for me to isolate the string without pressing others.

Noob question. I I opened up the thing where you practice e sliding your hand up and down. The it shows you having four fingers placed in anchor positions but my fingers all bend inward. I is that normal or I have freaky hands.
  • mcmothercruncher 6 Oct 2012 13:00:49 7,241 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't worry, it's ALL going to feel weird at first. You need to tie your two hand's movements together- plucking the string with one at the same time as you fret with the other- and that takes time.

I'd even suggest just playing with the guitar away from the game for a while- since it is a game it's crying out for you to make progress but that's hard while you're still learning how to use the "controller".

The hand thing is normal- your fingers will be able to reach a bit more in future. Away from the game, you could practice one finger over each fret a bit higher up the guitar neck, where you don't have to reach so much. Perhaps your first finger at the 12th, index at the 13th, ring at the 14th, pinky at the 15th. Practice cleanly plucking once per finger and moving up 12-13-14-15 slowly. Much better to be slow but accurate at first.
    If you feel you have that, move down and do the same at the 11th. Then the 10th. As you move down you'll be reaching a bit more each time ans stretching your fingers out as you go. This isn't a one session thing, but something you can work at to warm up a bit each day... good luck. Must feel like a mountain in front of you at the moment.
  • RobTheBuilder 6 Oct 2012 13:04:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not played the game yet, but I can vouch that your finger toughen up. I used to do acoustic guitar, and then electric, and it hurts for a week or so (you might get blisters) but after that it gets much easier.

Also helps to have longer nails on your right hand if you need to pluck, but keep them short on the left hand as they get in the way of the string/fret.
  • wobbly_Bob 6 Oct 2012 13:07:16 1,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah cheers for that! That's so helpful. I'll have a go with your suggestions. I I think you are quite right that the game wants me to go fast and make progress but it's going to be very helpful practicing away from the game. I thanks again.

Yeah it's definitely a mountain before me. I was prepared for it to be really hard but it's harder than I imagined. I still luckily I'm quite stubborn and like a challenge lol
  • wobbly_Bob 6 Oct 2012 13:10:51 1,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Not played the game yet, but I can vouch that your finger toughen up. I used to do acoustic guitar, and then electric, and it hurts for a week or so (you might get blisters) but after that it gets much easier.

Also helps to have longer nails on your right hand if you need to pluck, but keep them short on the left hand as they get in the way of the string/fret.
    My forearm is really hurting! lol and my hand... And my fingers :-)
  • mcmothercruncher 6 Oct 2012 13:20:40 7,241 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's been mentioned before, but have a look at probably the best resource for learning I know of- Justin Guitar. Not least because he has shed loads of beginners info and videos and whatnot. Pretty decent of him. Just try not to hold the fact that he plays with Katie Melua against him...
  • wobbly_Bob 6 Oct 2012 13:29:07 1,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers I have been reading that. It's a great site. I read the beginner stuff such as how to hold the guitar and pick. I think i will start the beginners lessons next. I'm going to try and use his site and rock Smith together.
  • DUFFMAN5 6 Oct 2012 14:28:12 15,002 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chaps is/was Amazon the only place to buy the 360 bundle version ?

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 14:28:31 06-10-2012

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Dave_McCoy 6 Oct 2012 15:14:31 2,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher When you say 'plays with' Katie Melua, what do you mean...?

In other news, I got 12th in the world on Dawn of the Chordead. That can't be right, can it?
  • mcmothercruncher 6 Oct 2012 17:06:01 7,241 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • madwlf 6 Oct 2012 17:36:49 74 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just played 2hrs of this on the bass and love it! Never really played it before but it adapted to my very low level and I felt like I could actually play the instrument.
    Very fun way to learn. Fingers are numb now but hopefully that will go after a few weeks of this.
  • wobbly_Bob 7 Oct 2012 13:26:48 1,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    2nd day and findng it massively frustrating! I can't move between frett notes or from string to string. I just can't seem to do anything :( tried the slide thing again and can't make my fingers do what it wants or hit the notes. My gf tried the game and instantly did much better than me on her first go and this is my second day!

I'm starting to think that I'm just not suited to guitar.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 13:27:34 07-10-2012
  • mcmothercruncher 7 Oct 2012 13:53:33 7,241 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Um, maybe you aren't if you're giving up after a single day. Jesus.
  • wobbly_Bob 7 Oct 2012 14:39:04 1,828 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didn't say I was giving up.
  • Page

of 20 First / Last