Rocksmith Page 5

• Page

of 20 First / Last

• Pinky_Floyd 1 Oct 2012 20:43:33 7,907 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah its grand so far! Ps3 version here using hdmi for video and optical to 5.1 system for sound and no lag.  The chart at an angle is a pain in the ass.  Is the note on the 2nd or third fret? Grrrrr. Will take a bit of getting used to.

Impressed! Using my Fender Classic Player 50's Strat at the moment, will have to try out my Les Paul at some point :)
  • mcmothercruncher 1 Oct 2012 22:20:38 7,084 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was just about to post PF, but I see you couldn't resist... ;)
    I still struggle to see which string it is, even with the colours. I'm not so much thinking, right, orange notes coming up, as thinking, right, string 4 so, hopefully not too bad for you.

My SG is getting most use with this, given all the rock on there it seems fitting :)
  • andywilkie35 1 Oct 2012 22:29:07 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My brother picked this up tonight so had a go.

Hugely impressive, going to pick it up myself. I play a lot of guitar so it was easy as hell but still enjoyable, and seemed to have a mid song difficulty curve that made it harder the more notes a god right so by the end was close to the real song.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• FuzzyDuck 1 Oct 2012 22:33:11 4,145 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How much theory does the game throw at you?

Does it teach you stuff like the modes of the major scale, use of feys, the cycle of 5ths, differences between a major, minor, diminished and augmented chords?

I wouldn't really have much interest in using it for learning songs, but practising theory and fundamental stuff can get pretty yawnsome.
  • _Flask 1 Oct 2012 23:08:57 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It has Bass DLC, so i will be picking this up for sure.
  • convercide 1 Oct 2012 23:22:57 6,033 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

Does it teach you stuff like the modes of the major scale, use of feys, the cycle of 5ths, differences between a major, minor, diminished and augmented chords?

I wouldn't really have much interest in using it for learning songs, but practising theory and fundamental stuff can get pretty yawnsome.
    Circle of 5ths... ;)

I actually couldn't tell you. I'm back in the UK and need to buy it again. I do remember the videos being quite in depth.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Pinky_Floyd 1 Oct 2012 23:37:03 7,907 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Red yellow blue orange green purple.

Seriously?  You have got to be kidding me.  What sort of a bunch of utter mongs in 2012 would put these together?

I was playing a song I thought almost perfectly but the score wasn't great and realised I had been hitting yellow for some notes instead of orange.  Once I realised my score shot up a bit.  Those aren't the only colours I am struggling with.

If only they had gone with:

Red
    Yellow
    Blue
    White
    Black
    Grey

Seriously? In 2000 and fucking 12? Raging.  55 quid for a pile of unusable shite.  And I am only on the easy songs with 4 colours.  Am screwed.  Bastards. 
  • kinky_mong 2 Oct 2012 00:21:00 10,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    How are those suggested colours any better? There will be more confusion between black and grey than between any of the primary and secondary colours used on the current scale.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Pinky_Floyd 2 Oct 2012 00:27:44 7,907 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    How are those suggested colours any better? There will be more confusion between black and grey than between any of the primary and secondary colours used on the current scale.
    Are you colour blind?  No colour blind person will ever confuse black and gray.  Utterly impossible.  Why would they be any better? Ummmm I'm markedly red/green colour blind though that's just the medical term, I'm affected by other colours too.  In fact, you could say I'm a bit of an expert in colour blindness with 40 years experience.  People who are completely colour blind, which is very rare, can in fact only distinguish black, gray and white.

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 00:37:41 02-10-2012
  • FuzzyDuck 2 Oct 2012 00:55:09 4,145 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    convercide wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

Circle of 5ths... ;)

I actually couldn't tell you. I'm back in the UK and need to buy it again. I do remember the videos being quite in depth.
    Circle/cylce - depends who you ask! :p

Hmm, sounds like the videos are worth having a gawk at! Is the bass stuff included on the Euro edition?
  • kinky_mong 2 Oct 2012 10:13:56 10,295 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Are you colour blind?  No colour blind person will ever confuse black and gray.  Utterly impossible.  Why would they be any better? Ummmm I'm markedly red/green colour blind though that's just the medical term, I'm affected by other colours too.  In fact, you could say I'm a bit of an expert in colour blindness with 40 years experience.  People who are completely colour blind, which is very rare, can in fact only distinguish black, gray and white.
    Ah, didn't realise you're complaining because the game isn't tailored for the colour blind. I was referring to people with normal colour vision who would have no problem distinguishing between the colour scale used.

Perhaps with 40 years experience of it you would have learned by now to test something that relies on colour identification before buying it and calling the developers all sorts of names?

Edited by kinky_mong at 10:14:24 02-10-2012

Edited by kinky_mong at 10:18:07 02-10-2012

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• smoothpete 2 Oct 2012 10:21:37 31,516 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I suppose it would be an easy enough thing for them to patch, if enough people were having the same issue due to colour blindness
  • Pinky_Floyd 2 Oct 2012 10:26:41 7,907 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Perhaps. I wasn't being entirely serious though, a little bit over-dramatised for effect. Still, it is very irritating and really ought not to be happening in this day and age. I'm an avid guitarist and gamer and it looks as if I'm unable to fully enjoy what is obviously a superb product, both technically and on a fun/learning level. To get so much right then get something so small so terribly, terribly wrong is a bit frustrating.
  • Pinky_Floyd 2 Oct 2012 10:27:32 7,907 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I suppose it would be an easy enough thing for them to patch, if enough people were having the same issue due to colour blindness
    Damn you and your common sense to hell and back. I don't think it's likely to be honest, game's been out a year.
  • Dave_McCoy 2 Oct 2012 11:34:21 2,776 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I quite like the dynamic difficulty on this. I had a go after getting back from the pub and it ramped up quite quickly. Had a go a couple of the minigames too, pretty good for strengthening and practice.

I'm finding it excellent so far, but I could see it being a bit daunting to a total novice. I do find the colours a little confusing at times though.
  • Hog-lumps 2 Oct 2012 12:47:46 946 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:

Perhaps with 40 years experience of it you would have learned by now to test something that relies on colour identification before buying it and calling the developers all sorts of names?

Edited by kinky_mong at 10:14:24 02-10-2012
    To be fair I hadn't realised this game was dependant on recognising colours to play, before I read this thread either.

I'm slightly red/green colour blind so this may be an issue for me too :(

Edited by Hog-lumps at 12:49:36 02-10-2012
  • mcmothercruncher 2 Oct 2012 14:35:52 7,084 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ... it isn't particularly, it works much better for me to think of the strings as numbers from the high E (as one) to the low (as six) for instance. But I don't have the condition so I may sound like an arse there to someone who does...

Just an FYI. I hate that I'm "on a journey". And I always will ;)

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 14:39:27 02-10-2012
  • wobbly_Bob 2 Oct 2012 15:58:02 1,783 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was reading the beginner stuff on justin guitar and found This really enlightening about the correct way to hold a pick! So if you like me and new to giutar them check it out :)

Check out the vid too for more detail!

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 16:16:55 02-10-2012
  • andywilkie35 2 Oct 2012 17:27:57 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just rattled through Go With The Flow, power chords and non stop strumming.

What an experience, magnificent!

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• DUFFMAN5 2 Oct 2012 17:33:53 14,698 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I need to stop visiting this thread ;)
    I have 5 guitars and no time to practice, why do I keep going to Amazon (not the amazon ;) )

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• mcmothercruncher 2 Oct 2012 18:54:01 7,084 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You need it Duff, it's a lot of fun.

Had some terrible feedback thus far if I had the amp volume too high- realised this afternoon that I'd got my eyetoy camera thingy on- the mic was picking it all up and making a right racket. Unplugged it and finally got some serious volume on the go. I think the fuzz boxes are a touch indistinct from each other but I love the pedal emulation they use in general, really meaty and harmonically rich stuff.

Did a four song "gig" earlier and an encore. I was grinning from ear to ear, very satisfying.

At what point do I unlock the post gig Mars Bar/groupie stuff though?
  • thesonglessbird 2 Oct 2012 19:12:05 195 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    andywilkie35 wrote:
    Just rattled through Go With The Flow, power chords and non stop strumming.

What an experience, magnificent!
    Leaves you pretty exhausted that one, but it feels really rewarding when you get any song right.

I tried the accelerator practise mode the other night with Breed by Nirvana (intro riff). Took me about 45 minutes to get it perfect, even though it's a really easy riff. If I'd had a regular tab to look at, it would've taken me 5 minutes to figure out I reckon! Still, great feeling when I got it 100%.

Can't play anymore because I threw my controller at the wall (PES2013 ragequit) and I'm waiting for a replacement to arrive. Sadface.
  • gammonbanter 2 Oct 2012 23:50:48 1,499 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So wait, it's not really suitable for acoustic guitars!? What about the ones with plugs? Mmmmm, I really like the look of this!

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• FuzzyDuck 3 Oct 2012 01:30:20 4,145 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @gammonbanter

I'd imagine it would work okay if your acoustic has a pickup for use with an amplifier, as that's basically what an electric guitar is.
  • sanctusmortis 3 Oct 2012 07:38:16 9,631 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, electro acoustics will work. It specifies "any guitar or bass with a 1/4" jack" on the box, so that's pretty much any.

Tempted, so tempted...
  • RichieTenenbaum 3 Oct 2012 19:30:38 2,211 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm enjoying it so far. I can see how it will make me do half an hours practice a day and help me improve. Good stuff!
  • madwlf 3 Oct 2012 23:29:43 74 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Should be getting the adaptor thing tomorrow for the pc version.
    Got a bass guitar years ago but never really got anywhere with it so I'm hoping this will be just what I need to at least get going with the basics.
    It's been sitting in my shed for about 4 years but seems to be working okay!
    I just hope I'm not restricted as I'll be using a bass.
  • ibenam 3 Oct 2012 23:50:57 1,427 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How will this go down with someone who has no experience, no time because of kids, work, wife, no money due to house but is really really really keen to play guitar :D
  • Dave_McCoy 5 Oct 2012 00:06:46 2,776 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ibenam I'm not sure. I'm loving it at the moment but I'd be a bit worried about a complete novice. I already know most of the chords, major, minor, 7ths, flats, sharps but I'm thinking increasingly that it'd be quite daunting to a new starter.

It's not bad at all at introducing new techniques. My advice, if you did get it, is to do every tutorial it throws at you and do them twice...at least.

It is great fun though. Loved playing Where is my Mind by the Pixies. The amp/pedal effects are spot on and make my old battered guitar sound great. Occasionaly I have to make sure it is my guitars sound coming out of the speakers. Lovely stuff.
  • ZuluHero 5 Oct 2012 01:09:04 4,172 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So this IS good then? Havem't played my tele in ages, and thought this might be a good use for it.

Nooby question, but can you plug the epiphone from the bundle into a real amp and play it like a normal guitar?

Seems like a good deal if so.
  • Page

of 20 First / Last