Rocksmith

• Page

of 20 First / Last

Previous
  • Pinky_Floyd 18 Oct 2011 00:19:59 7,381 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Very tempted. There is a version which comes with an epiphone les Paul junior.

http://www.planetaxel.com/productDetails/008888346883?Rocksmith

But doesnt the fact you need a real guitar limit sales a bit? I have a few lying around so WANT.
  • ecureuil 18 Oct 2011 00:36:32 76,496 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Makes it infinitely more appealing than Guitar Hero to me. In fact, I gave up on Guitar Hero because I didn't see the point. I'd be putting hours in to getting good at a plastic guitar with four buttons, and learning a skill that would be useless once the fad died (like.. now, for example).

Rocksmith interests me a lot, though unfortunately I only have an acoustic guitar and the game seems to have been designed for electric guitars.

It'll limit sales to people that want to play with fake peripherals, but it'll open up a much wider market for people that want to actually learn the guitar for real. If they do it right it should sell millions.
  • Pinky_Floyd 18 Oct 2011 07:13:16 7,381 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If your acoustic has a pickup you could use that. Could also probably pick up a little squier or epiphone cheaply second hand.

I would say the game lives or dies on the music. No Rush or Iron Maiden or even AC/DC yet.
  • Pinky_Floyd 18 Oct 2011 08:01:07 7,381 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Now I think about it, am really worried about latency. Would like to use this with a 5.1 digital system and a plasma tv.

Definitely need to see qualified reviews before shelling out. Not reviews by gamers either, reviews by folk who play guitar and are familiar with guitar rig/pod farm etc.
  • Rhythm 18 Oct 2011 08:29:42 2,463 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    If the only requirement is for your guitar to have a jack then should electro-acoustics work?

/tempted
  • Pinky_Floyd 18 Oct 2011 08:55:54 7,381 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    If the only requirement is for your guitar to have a jack then should electro-acoustics work?

/tempted
    Yes, they definitely work.
  • Rhythm 18 Oct 2011 08:57:29 2,463 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cool. Again, tempted. Like you I want to see proper reviews by non-gaming peeps.
  • ecureuil 18 Oct 2011 11:00:29 76,496 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There has already been a few previews that are very positive. They're even bundling it with a guitar in some cases. :)
  • kinky_mong 18 Oct 2011 11:05:02 9,958 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Makes it infinitely more appealing than Guitar Hero to me. In fact, I gave up on Guitar Hero because I didn't see the point. I'd be putting hours in to getting good at a plastic guitar with four buttons, and learning a skill that would be useless once the fad died.

Hate to break it to you but if you haven't even moved up to Hard difficulty after all those hours you won't ever get good at it. ;)

Every time I see the name of this game I keep thinking of that so-bad-it's-awful Microsoft Songsmith advert.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• markh 18 Oct 2011 11:25:37 3,598 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow..will definitely pick this up. I'll be interested to see how it copes with different difficulties as I would class myself as a beginner to medium player and it could be a great learning tool.
  • ecureuil 18 Oct 2011 19:51:50 76,496 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got 2.5 stars on Joystiq.

Seems it works well, but the game itself isn't very good, and does a poor job of educating the player.
  • RichieTenenbaum 18 Oct 2011 20:16:36 2,181 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think the tracklisting is good. Too many music games/music tuition is metal skewed.

Also:

"Take tuning, for instance: The fifth-fret-open-string method for tuning by ear is an essential, basic piece of knowledge that one hundred percent of guitarists should be taught as soon as they pick up the instrument"

I think I'll wait for other reviews. The fact the guy has a PRS means he's evaluating it from a completely different level.
  • JahB 12 Jan 2012 19:08:30 76 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    got this today and i'm loving it. really surprised that it didn't sell better in the states, it effectively is guitar hero with real guitars. 9/10
  • asha 12 Jan 2012 19:44:40 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone know when this is getting a UK release? I have a Santana SE that I've hardly used, as there's no teachers near me. A game like this looks like just what I need.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• JahB 2 Feb 2012 20:56:25 76 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    it's apparently not getting a euro release anytime soon thx to some unknown band with the same name sueing...

ps3 version is region free though and readily available at the usual import sites, got it for about 48 euros at videogameplus
  • Deleted user 2 February 2012 21:20:41
    I was keeping an eye on this a while ago but had completely forgotten about it.

I have a shitty cheapo Squire that i bought off a buddy years ago and i wouldn't mind giving it a bash to see if it would even be possible for me to learn guitar.
  • the-stax 5 Feb 2012 20:45:42 18 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This sounded good - I've got a Yamaha Pacifica that I bought years ago, but haven't really got anywhere with trying to learn on my own (Various reasons for that).

But its on PS3, and I haven't got one.

Gah!
  • convercide 8 Feb 2012 02:18:36 5,913 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got this for 360 yesterday and I'm really impressed. It's actually really good. It's a good way to learn to play guitar (for those wanting to start somewhere) and also a great way to practice if you already do.

There're a plethora of fun mini games to unlock. One example if a baseball game where you have to hit the right note to swing the bat and if it's a curve ball, you have to bend the string. Also a duck hunting game where you have to hit the right string on the right fret to shoot the duck, getting a multiplier bonus for consecutive hits.

The track list is pretty good too. Lots of older and newer stuff for people to practice. Even if you're not a fan of certain tracks, they're good to play to help improve your skills.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• souvlaki 8 Feb 2012 11:37:06 717 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I keep holding out for a UK release, but my resolve is weakening. Still, with the Vita coming soon, I think I will hold out for some time yet, unless I see someone selling one second hand cheap.
  • AcidSnake 8 Feb 2012 11:41:04 7,214 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So how good is the teaching element, can you go from n00b to Rock God with this?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• X201 8 Feb 2012 11:44:59 15,132 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If they clear up the legal issues, I imagine they'd delay it until April or September. Better sales.
  • Deleted user 8 February 2012 11:47:56
    Hopefully my copy will arrive today. Ordered it for the PS3 from VG+ last Thursday night and they are usually pretty quick.

Been doing a bit of reading about it and it is apparently a fairly decent learning tool and the community for it is pretty active. The adaptive difficulty is supposedly fairly nifty as well.
  • convercide 8 Feb 2012 21:53:23 5,913 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    So how good is the teaching element, can you go from n00b to Rock God with this?
    Not quite, as you still need to put the practice in outside of the game (obviously) but the difficulty scales to how good you are. It teaches the basics and then you can practice songs to get better. If you start improving, the game gets harder to challenge you further until you eventually play the songs note for note..

It's a great way to start though and as I said, the minigames can help improve your playing speed, accuracy etc.

• Nazo 8 Feb 2012 22:11:17 337 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    How does it compare to Rock Band 3 Pro mode? I got the Squier for that and while it's a fun game and probably ok for practise, as a learning tool I thought it kinda sucked.
    Are there proper lessons or is it all just exercises?
  • convercide 8 Feb 2012 22:40:18 5,913 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's a 'techniques' section on the main menu. There's a video tutorial before each one, then challenges to practice to get better at them. You can always watch any instructional video again if needs be.

In fact there are several instructional videos in there too and also chord books for each of the songs too!

And from checking the instructional videos, they're really good.

Edited by convercide at 22:44:23 08-02-2012

• Nazo 9 Feb 2012 22:14:01 337 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That sounds pretty good, much better than RB3 anyway.

And how did they get Muse on their playlist?! RB3 fans have been nagging about that for ages.
  • Ryder35 9 Feb 2012 22:59:45 163 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have to say rocksmith blows rb pro mode out of the water. Being able to hear yourself in game is vital to learning. Being able to use a good guitar helps too. Finally the dynamic levelling greatly reduces the frustration of the difficulty spikes in the rb levels. If you have an interest in learning guitar and have a ps3 you really should have this game
  • Deleted user 10 February 2012 11:09:22
    My copy arrived \o/
  • AcidSnake 10 Feb 2012 11:41:21 7,214 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers for the replies guys, too bad I only have an Xbox so no region-free for me...
    Let's hope they'll release it over here then...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Popzeus 10 Feb 2012 12:01:30 8,272 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This looks brilliant, take it the 360 version is region locked though?

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• Page

of 20 First / Last

Previous