Three beeps and flashing red light - please help :(

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • erp 16 Oct 2011 13:40:17 148 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hi all,

In possibly the most unfortunate timing imaginable - 25hrs into a Dark Souls addiction, on the eve of possibly the largest volume of quality releases in the shortest period of time in memory - my PS3 has decided to give up the ghost.

I have the classic 3 beeps and a flashing red light when I try to turn it on.

I had no other warning signs that anything was amiss. I'd just turned the system on to play some more 'Souls and had had it sitting on the XMB doing nothing for a few minutes, when it then turned itself off with the above symptoms.

The PS3 is an original UK 60GB model, with a replacement 500GB hard-drive.

I've read elsewhere that it could be an overheating problem, but this seems unlikely to me as it happened a few minutes after turning on the system after it had been off all night.

I've also read that the issue could be with the hard-drive: it could be corrupted, or it could simply have come unseated from its connections. However, I think I've ruled out this possibility too, as I've put the original (60GB) drive back in the system and the exact same thing happens.

So now I'm a bit lost, and I'm after help. Does anyone have any other ideas what might be wrong? Or is the system just kaput?

Also of great concern to me is the (seemingly very high) possibility that I'll lose my 25hrs of Dark Souls progress. I am a PS Plus member but I'm not absolutely kicking myself that I never took advantage of the "cloud saving" service (mainly because I didn't want to turn on any of the other stuff that it seemed to want me to turn on at the same time, such as auto-downloading demos and so on).

So with the cloud saving out of the picture, from what I've read elsewhere it seems that the only other way I'd be able to preserve my saves would be if I used the ethernet system transfer feature, but unfortunately it seems unlikely that I'll be able to do that because to do so I'd need to be able to actually turn my old system on!

One other possibility I was wondering about was whether I could buy a new PS3, and buy a USB caddy that I could connect the the 500GB drive to, and then plug that into the new system - would I then be able to copy my old saves onto the new system? And if so, would that also work for (presumably) copy-protected saves such as Dark Souls? After all I would be using the same PSN account on the new system, or is the copy protection even meant to prevent you from backing up and restoring your own saves on your own account?

Well I think I've covered everything here. Any help or advice anyone can offer me would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

erp.
  • Flying_Pig 16 Oct 2011 14:27:51 11,011 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds buggered. It appears to be YLOD type failure - so not HDD or blu-ray drive related. One option is to call Sony, but they'll just offer you a cut price refurb'd model as a replacement.

I'm pretty sure you can't just stick your fancy HDD into another PS3 and carry on, as the new one will want to format the HDD (similar process to when you replaced the original 60GB HDD with your new 500GB one.

AFAIK your only option to rescue your Dark Souls game save is to find someone who'll repair your PS3 (or try doing it yourself). Other forumites will probably know better than me, though
  • MrE26 16 Oct 2011 14:45:45 1,932 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, it's fucked. Had it happen 3 times to mine.

If you get a refurb from Sony you'll lose everything & if there's a disc in there, don't expect to see it for a couple of months. They charged me £145 for the privilege as well!
  • TurboBailey 16 Oct 2011 15:05:31 687 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does it beep 3 times when you try and eject the disk?
  • erp 16 Oct 2011 15:14:59 148 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh dammit I hadn't even thought about my Dark Souls disc in the drive! Yep, I get the three beeps when I try to eject it too - and no disc comes out.
  • TurboBailey 16 Oct 2011 15:18:19 687 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIT5xzu4tDg&feature=related

/warning - annoying kid alert
  • TurboBailey 16 Oct 2011 15:19:25 687 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had a similar problem - but it didnt work - maybe it will work for you :
    I had to take the PS3 apart to get my disk and then get it repaired by a 3rd party

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhYzFfggBqI&feature=channel_video_title
  • erp 16 Oct 2011 15:28:32 148 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks TurboBailey, but unfortunately that didn't work for me - some of the YouTube comments seem to suggest it might be because it's an original 60GB model.

Argh, it's looking more and more like I'm going to need to take the thing apart.
  • Kostabi 16 Oct 2011 15:35:31 4,932 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Same thing happened with my original 60gb PS3 last week erp. None of the YouTube tricks with the hair dryer worked for me and there doesn't seem to be a force or manual eject on this model either which is helpful.

So yeah, screwdriver and hammer time I think. Sucks. It wouldn't be so bad but mine died in the middle of a movie so I still haven't seen the ending. :/
  • danathjo 16 Oct 2011 15:50:43 7,390 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got this with my 80gb, used the hairdryer trick (look it up) which should be enough time to get your disc out and copy your ds save on a USB stick. Then sell sell your ps3 on eBay for 30-40 ( maybe more for a 60) and get a slim.
  • erp 16 Oct 2011 21:34:35 148 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had zero faith that it'd work, but I tried the hairdryer trick anyway and amazingly it worked!

The PS3 stayed on for just long enough for me to eject the disc and - even better - upload my Dark Souls save to the Online Storage!

I was so lucky too - just a matter of seconds after the copy had finished, the system went down again. If the save had been 1 MB bigger, or my net connection a little bit slower, then I would've been out of luck.

But as it stands I am happy! I guess I'll be off to the shops tomorrow to pick myself up a nice new Slim. :)

Thanks for the help and advice everybody! It's much appreciated.

erp.
  • danathjo 17 Oct 2011 01:26:10 7,390 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good to hear it's worked out (reasonably) well, took bloody ages to transfer all my saves over myself as I wanted to take over everything and not just the one game.

Hopefully you can get a bit of cash if you sell it via the ebay route, just make sure you wipe all your personal info off first!
  • FuzzyDuck 17 Oct 2011 02:22:36 4,145 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Don't forget to deactivate it too!

It's such a headache when it happens, thank jiminiy for the cloud save/usb transfer. Good to here you retrieved the disc too.
  • Aretak 17 Oct 2011 05:08:38 10,354 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It might be worth sending it to these guys if you don't want to just write it off entirely. When my original one went kaput a couple of years ago I used them and they got it working again. Cost me £70 (seems they charge £60 these days), but I was then able to sell the console on eBay for £210 when I bought a slim.

Guess it depends on whether a £60 hit and then selling it as working would be more profitable than just selling it as faulty. Not sure how much old ones sell for these days.
  • SpaceDave3000 17 Oct 2011 06:10:03 78,226 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was under the impression this sort of thing was caused by the lead-free solder loosening and the components no longer making a connection with the main board, which is generally accepted with all electronics these days. Pretty shit that sony still refuses there's a problem despite people ovening the boards and it all working right away.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• erp 17 Oct 2011 10:00:09 148 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the advice guys. Yeah I've been thinking of seeing if I can sell it as faulty on e-bay, but I've been worrying about my private details, deactivation, and so on.

The problem is, I tried repeating the hair dryer trick again last night - there are a few other saves I would've liked to have got off of it if possible - but it didn't work this time, which makes me think it's unlikely I'll ever be able to get it to turn on again. Which is fine - I'm not too bothered about the rest of the saves.

However, where does leave me with regards to wiping my private details and deactivating my PSN on the system?

For the personal details, would it be enough to just take out the hard-drive, hook it up to my PC and format it from there? (Then if someone does manage to get the system working again, presumably the first thing they'd see is the "You need to format the system" screen?)

But what about deactivation? Is there any way I can deactivate it if I can't get it to start-up anymore? This is really quite a concern - I don't think I'd want to sell it if I knew my PSN account was still active on it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • X201 17 Oct 2011 10:12:21 15,490 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    erp wrote:

But what about deactivation? Is there any way I can deactivate it if I can't get it to start-up anymore? This is really quite a concern - I don't think I'd want to sell it if I knew my PSN account was still active on it.

Phone Sony

01923 653598
    or
    08705 99 88 77

Have your serial No. and anything else relevant to hand.

• erp 17 Oct 2011 10:46:35 148 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fantastic - thanks X201!
  • erp 17 Oct 2011 13:12:33 148 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh - what about the personal details? Would formatting the drive using a PC do the trick?
  • danathjo 17 Oct 2011 13:20:01 7,390 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I forget what menu I went into to get rid of personal data but if you go to the official PS UK (or which ever country you're from) site and you can sign into psn and change your password. Did this when my first PS3 was stolen.
  • Madder-Max 17 Oct 2011 13:44:43 11,656 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ooh gosh. Dontcha just love advertising? Pretend threads

99 problems and being ginger is one

• X201 17 Oct 2011 13:55:46 15,490 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    erp wrote:
    Oh - what about the personal details? Would formatting the drive using a PC do the trick?

You could.
    Yep.

Use something like Swissknife, etc

• f00b_inc 19 Oct 2011 22:49:27 696 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ARGH! This just happened to me whilst playing Dark Souls too...... literally the hardest came ever that it even killed my PS3. Should be on the advert, or not.

It shut down during the game, blinking red light on start up. I was able to switch it back on and it went to the XMB randomnly and I ejected the disk. I guess that was lucky! I'm guessing it's fucked.

Not sure what this hair dryer trick is all about... sounds tricky. I think Dark Souls (or Sony) have beaten me :-(

If I end up buying a new PS3 can I plug the old harddrive in to the new console? Or will it wipe it anyway? Never had to replace it before!
  • Skynet 20 Oct 2011 20:12:19 170 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've had the same problem recently, but I find if I try turning it on about 15 times it eventually comes on and works fine.
  • X201 20 Oct 2011 20:15:10 15,490 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Foob, you can't just swap the drive. You need to do a backup from the old console and then a restore on to the new one.
  • TommyUnderwear 22 Oct 2011 20:08:48 107 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You are fucking joking me. Same exact shit has just happened me. 15 hours into Dark Souls and bang, it switched off. Not a happy bunny at all. Will leave it unplugged until I come home from a few drinks and try it then. God love my girlfriend if it doesn't work :-)
  • PhoenixFlames 22 Oct 2011 20:43:09 9,012 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TommyUnderwear wrote:

You are fucking joking me. Same exact shit has just happened me. 15 hours into Dark Souls and bang, it switched off. Not a happy bunny at all. Will leave it unplugged until I come home from a few drinks and try it then. God love my girlfriend if it doesn't work :-)

Why? You gonna take it out in her?

PSN - phoenix1flames

• TommyUnderwear 22 Oct 2011 20:49:26 107 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    TommyUnderwear wrote:

Ha Ha, I may just do that. Nah, I just ordered the guide and now I can't play the fucking thing. Luckily enough we are heading out for drinks, cos if I was sitting in I would be like a dog.
  • PhoenixFlames 22 Oct 2011 20:51:11 9,012 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    TommyUnderwear wrote:

PhoenixFlames wrote:
    TommyUnderwear wrote:

Ha Ha, I may just do that. Nah, I just ordered the guide and now I can't play the fucking thing. Luckily enough we are heading out for drinks, cos if I was sitting in I would be like a dog.

You'd have a wet nose and scratch your bum on the carpet?

PSN - phoenix1flames

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous