Project CARS

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • estoo 12 Oct 2011 11:51:57 2,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Anyone else heard about this?

The project has only just been started and is a long way from release. But for a one time payment €10, you can get monthly updates of development builds and share your opinions on what you want the sim to be like with the developers in their forums. If you want to pay a bit more, say €25000, you can have significant influence on the sim's development. The idea is that you can buy influence in the game directly, instead of say buying stocks in the company.

I signed up for the €25 deal last night which gets me the latest build every week, access to the developer forums where you can observe them iron out bugs, develop the models, tracks etc, pretty interesting to my geekier side.

It's a brave new way to develop a game and I wouldn't fancy being one of the major investors in case it bombs but who knows? Slightlymad studios do have a bit of pedigree.

You can sign up here:
    http://www.wmdportal.com/projectnews/c-a-r-s-is-off-the-starting-line/#more-304

first impressions of the pre-Alpha build are pretty good.

You can tell it's taking the nuts and bolts from Shift2 but without EA to reign them in they are focusing on pure sim (so they say).

Graphics and visuals are mindblowing even at this early stage, check out some of the screenshots on the site.
    Obviously at 10% complete it is bugs and glitches below but I look forward to seeing how this develops over the next year.
    Handling is a bit more realistic than the Shift series, I'd rate it in it's current state as better than rFactor but not close to iRacing.

Youtube gameplay link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOxYVlw6oLU&feature=player_embedded
  • freedumb 12 Oct 2011 12:29:13 1,110 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I saw the announcement/interview/idea with Ian Bell a few months ago on VirtualR and it sounded intriguing. First impressions are looking good. Seems like this is the game they really wanted to make without the EA pressure to make the game accessible for non-simmers. They developed GT Legends and GTR2 with SIMBIN, so they know how to do a sim.

http://www.virtualr.net/c-a-r-s-goes-live-with-first-previews-development-build/
  • corstick 12 Oct 2011 15:28:34 3,263 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That feature set is pretty much my dream racing game. Please don't balls it up SMS!

Here is a good forum where Ian Bell and some of the other devs have been posting for the last few weeks.
  • shamblemonkee 12 Oct 2011 15:32:26 14,256 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh wow, i am going to _have_ to shell out for a PC wheel now!
  • geeza2020 12 Oct 2011 15:46:26 1,878 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    here in my car,
    where I feel safest of all,
    I can lock all my doors,
    its the only way to live,
    IN C.A.R.S.
    derner, ner ner, derner, ner ner.
  • estoo 12 Oct 2011 16:25:46 2,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Latest update on forthcoming tracks:

Suzy Wallace;1989 wrote:So, as my first post on licensing, I'm happy to have some exciting news for you all to kick things off. We have just signed an agreement with Motorsport Vision (some of you in the UK should recognise the name), which signifies our first licensed tracks for C.A.R.S. That means we have now licensed Brands Hatch, Cadwell Park, Oulton Park and Snetterton. As some of the best tracks in the UK, this represents a very exciting first step for us. The plan for these tracks is that we will get them laser scanned so that we have absolute accuracy - this will capture every detail of the track down to the very last mm, so you can be assured that driving the tracks will be exactly like it is in real life. :cool:

More licensing news to come soon, so stay tuned!

*Licensed and Laser-scanned!*
  • freedumb 14 Oct 2011 08:19:26 1,110 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really wish they'd do Knockhill, superb tight track with all the elevation changes, although the above are really good as well. Oulton was top knotch in the TOCA Race Driver series. Laser-scanning is the way to go :)

• BillMurray 14 Oct 2011 08:29:27 7,604 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cadwell Park? Bought.
  • estoo 14 Oct 2011 09:10:00 2,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Laser scanned Oulten park is coming to iRacing in the next few weeks too with historic and modern configurations. Day 1 purchase for me!
  • shamblemonkee 20 Oct 2011 15:19:26 14,256 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    VVV has a video of this up now.. gawd it looks so good already. Really need a Pc wheel and better base station too!
  • Maturin 20 Oct 2011 15:32:00 2,889 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wow what a great looking game. This looks like - finally - a successor to GPL. Might have to chuck a few quid into this myself.
  • estoo 20 Oct 2011 15:52:34 2,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I went for the 25 euro version and it's been good to get a weekly update and see how it's coming along.
    It's showing a lot of potential but there is massive input lag no matter what the graphic settings are at the moment for me. The rudimentary AI they introduced last week is quite amusing, 1 corner into an F1 race at San Marino and there are cars flying everywhere in front of me. Looks pretty good too!

For a sequel to GPL, have you seen the trailer for rFactor 2? If you have not, prepare to be moist....

Va Va Voom

One of the earlier videos had them running round a 60's layout Spa. Can't wait for it.
  • corstick 20 Oct 2011 16:47:47 3,263 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am in for €25 as well. Not had any problems with input lag (with a G27) but the game is still very much pre-alpha. Physics get a bit funky with weight transfer and loss of grip but there is huge potential as you say, once they can work out the kinks. Already a different planet to Shift.

I don't know what the deal is with releasing footage but I'll try and put a few laps together.
  • Maturin 20 Oct 2011 17:12:39 2,889 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    estoo wrote:
    I went for the 25 euro version and it's been good to get a weekly update and see how it's coming along.
    It's showing a lot of potential but there is massive input lag no matter what the graphic settings are at the moment for me. The rudimentary AI they introduced last week is quite amusing, 1 corner into an F1 race at San Marino and there are cars flying everywhere in front of me. Looks pretty good too!

For a sequel to GPL, have you seen the trailer for rFactor 2? If you have not, prepare to be moist....

Va Va Voom

One of the earlier videos had them running round a 60's layout Spa. Can't wait for it.

Oooooooh

/sexwee
  • corstick 20 Oct 2011 17:27:22 3,263 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    rFactor 2 is also shaping up to be spectacular. Finally, the age of gMotor 2 is coming to an end.
  • estoo 24 Oct 2011 15:15:00 2,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Latest build notes, going to give this a try tonight. Also, they have confirmed Bathurst in the works (called Aussie Hill) which should be great!

Build 78 (24/10/11, Team Member+)
    Toned down heat haze
    Added a few more options to visuals menu
    Added gamepad filtering option
    Added cloudy weather selection to race menu
    Fix for DX9 windscreen corruption bug
    Fix for groundcover crash
    Updated Glencairn track
    Updated Racer car
    Improved lighting settings for most tracks
    Fixes to car setup menu (still lots of bugs)
    Change audio balance to bring out more wind noise
    Version number added to UI
    Various UI fixes and improvements
    Updated kart
    Fixed direction of driver head lean in corners
    Enabled fuel consumption and tyre wear
    Added free camera (Ctrl-F then the mouse and WASD, SHIFT keys)

Build 76 (20/10/11, Manager+)
    Car setup menu added (first pass, many bugs)
    Kart added (first export, no bug reports yet please)
    Glencairn track added (first export, no bug reports yet please)
    Nuke 3 added (first export, no bug reports yet please)
    Fix for DX11 "grey square around the player car" bug
    Updated exports of all tracks (various fixes and improvements)
    Various UI fixes
    Idle throttle adjusted on all cars so you can stall if clutch not used properly
    Disabled exhaust backfire on LM2011
  • corstick 10 Nov 2011 16:59:20 3,263 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This weeks build (91) looks like being a good one. Completely revamped physics for most of the cars, two new tracks (including Belgium Forest, hmmm) and the alpha version of the Gumpert Apollo S.

Really liking where this is heading. Can't wait to try out the new physics.

Edited by corstick at 17:00:03 10-11-2011
  • estoo 10 Nov 2011 17:09:34 2,797 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really hope they sort out the input lag as a priority but it's almost like they don't acknowledge the issue. Anything under 60fps and there's a delay of about 0.1 seconds which in sim racing terms is huge. It looks terrible in the VVV video posted recently but wasn't mentioned:

The rig looks nice though

Edited by estoo at 17:10:10 10-11-2011
  • corstick 10 Nov 2011 17:19:07 3,263 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    From my experience of those setups with big screen tvs, there is always horrible lag. Certainly nothing like that on my monitor (apart from pre-74 builds which still had some legacy gamepad filtering code) and the FPS on my aging PC never goes above 60.

I believe last weeks build went some way toward curing input lag though and SMS are currently in the process of rewriting the code to eliminate it entirely but that is a few weeks down the line.
  • meggsy 10 Nov 2011 17:51:13 1,628 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Must have missed this thread, I'm also in on the 25 euro. Haven't played the last few updates but had a blast with my Driving Force GT wheel. The power and noise really comes across well even at this early stage.

3DS: 3454-0647-5991

• corstick 27 Jan 2012 11:19:43 3,263 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This weeks build seems to be a bit of a landmark release. Radically better FFB, low speed tyre grip fix and, supposedly, elimination of the infamous input lag.
  • shamblemonkee 27 Jan 2012 14:36:46 14,256 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How's it shaping up in general?
  • AceGrace 27 Jan 2012 14:38:47 1,011 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is Ian Bell, THE Ian Bell?
  • corstick 27 Jan 2012 14:51:55 3,263 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    How's it shaping up in general?
    Sad to say, with all this F1, I haven't had a chance to test a build for several weeks.

From reports from other members though, it's making very good progress. Still barebones in terms of features but the core base is very much in place now.
  • BillMurray 27 Jan 2012 15:44:49 7,604 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Completely forgot about this but I just signed up as a team member a few minutes ago. Really looking forward to giving the current build a try.
  • Hydrogene 31 Jan 2012 16:07:19 105 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is a very original developpment method, and I hope it works!
    What I don't understand is, what happens if I pay the Junior package (10 euros)? Do I still have to buy the (final) game when it comes out?
  • Dr-Strangelove 31 Jan 2012 16:14:14 2,130 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AceGrace wrote:
    Is Ian Bell, THE Ian Bell?
    This needs to be answered!!
  • corstick 31 Jan 2012 16:19:08 3,263 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /tries to think of joke about being able to cope with spin
    /fails
  • shamblemonkee 31 Jan 2012 16:35:43 14,256 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    looks utterly fantastic so far, love how the cars move around...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cR20SO4mknQ
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous