I'm not ever putting mine back on.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• agparrot 24 Mar 2012 14:09:22 11,903 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    warlockuk wrote:
    I'm not ever putting mine back on.
    Same here.

All the while I can buy points or subscriptions with cheaper redeemable code-cards, I'm not going to put an active card or paypal account back onto Live.

Despite what they seem to be doing to try and improve security, it doesn't feel like they've completely remedied the issue of people being able to just automate password-guessing on your account, and I've seen no confirmation of them introducing two-step payments. To be fair, since I removed all payment options from my account, I haven't really looked.

@Dizzy posted this link in one of the EG articles about it a while back, and apologies if I've posted it here before, but my password follows a model much more like the one suggested here:

http://xkcd.com/936/
  • Psychotext 24 Mar 2012 14:18:29 52,778 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Passphrases have been common for quite some time now, the main problem is that many services simply don't let you have passwords long enough to use them.
  • Mayhem64 24 Mar 2012 18:15:42 649 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never had my CC details on there, always used the prepaid codes. As has been proved, too much of a target for hackers. At least with the Wii, I always had to enter my CC details anew when buying points.

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• zonipoi 1 Apr 2012 23:34:15 17 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My account was hacked on Friday. Lost 1680 points to FIFA packs but haven't noticed anything else even though I have my CC details there. The password wasn't changed either (until I changed it). So just calling support tomorrow about this and ask to remove my CC details as I couldn't do it myself (??!!??).

Never paid too much attention to this as I thought you have to have played FIFA to be in danger and I do my FIFA on PS3.
  • warlockuk 2 Apr 2012 00:09:37 19,101 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'd never played FIFA. But that's how they robbed from my account.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• daz_john_smith 25 May 2012 19:03:59 1,631 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How scammers are stealing Xbox Live accounts and what they do with them

Interesting, if true.
  • Psychotext 26 May 2012 00:07:23 52,778 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That actually makes a lot of sense.
  • Syrette 28 Aug 2012 19:27:03 41,823 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We're surely good to leave our card details on the system now after the security updates, right?

A very slight annoyance having to input them if I ever buy points directly from MS, as I often do now if I need 500 points to cover a purchase of something and thus don't want to buy 2100 or whatever in one go.

• coastal 22 Dec 2012 12:11:56 5,372 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've had my origin account snapped up by someone else. Apparently you can change your account email address without any email verification. Real clever.

So here's the helpful chat support I received;

Deepak:
    Thanks for contacting EA Help! My name is Deepak how may I help you?
    you:
    Hi Deepak, my account has been compromised and i've received notification that the account email and password has been altered.
    Deepak:
    Hello there.
    Deepak:
    I am sorry to hear that your account has bee hacked. Hacking is indeed a great menace to the gaming community. Let's see what can be done in this case.
    Deepak:
    May I please have any game key which is associated with your EA account so that I can locate your account in our database?
    you:
    XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX
    you:
    that was for Battlefield Bad Company 2 Vietnam
    Deepak:
    Oky.
    Deepak:
    Okay.
    Deepak:
    In meanwhile, may I know your first and last name to update our database please?
    you:
    Mr Coastal
    Deepak:
    Thank you Coastal.
    Deepak:
    Would you mind holding for a minute or two while I retrieve your account in our database?
    you:
    ok
    Deepak:
    Thank you for waiting. I appreciate your patience.
    Deepak:
    Can you please verify your FIFA 13 Ultimate team details with the followings:
    Deepak:
    Club name
    Deepak:
    Number of players
    Deepak:
    Number of rare players
    Deepak:
    Number of staff
    you:
    I don't have FIFA 13
    you:
    when was that purchased?
    Deepak:
    Your FUT13 account is linked with your Xbox.
    you:
    I've got a xbox 360 (user id XXXX i think) but i haven't switched it on for at least a year
    Deepak:
    Since your FUT is linked with your gamer tag, the data needs to be verified in order to account ownership as system is asking for this.
    you:
    I have never purchased FUT. I don't use my xbox. Didn't my BF2 Vietnam key provide verification?
    you:
    Here's another Burnout paradise Order date XX/XX/XXXX Key: XXXX
    you:
    Order ID: XXXXX Product ID: XXXX Product Name: Battlefield 3 Limited Edition Release Date: XX/XX/XXXX Digital Rights: XXXXX
    Deepak:
    I am sorry that game key doesn't not come under account ownership verification. I can do one thing for you, in case you're able to other account details I can escalate this case for you to our security team.
    There may be a problem communicating with Deepak. Please wait while your chat is transferred to another EA Expert.
    You are now ready to chat with Deepak.
    you:
    I don't understand. I've provided several keys (as prescribed in the EA help). You haven't even asked for my original email address or date of birth.
    you:
    I've followed https://help.ea.com/uk/article/i-think-somebody-hacked-my-origin-account-what-can-i-do-now
    There may be a problem communicating with Deepak. Please wait while your chat is transferred to another EA Expert.
    Deepak:
    I am sorry for any interruption in chat.
    Deepak:
    I am right here with you.
    you:
    Will i be able to speak to the security team directly? I would like to resolve this today. My account has been compromised and i'm concerned that whoever's taken my account is making purchases (such as FUT13).
    you:
    Hi Deepak
    Deepak:
    Unfortunately, there is only way to contact them through us. Our security team work from backend and take quite some time to be resolved.
    you:
    And the only way for me to verify the account is to name some FUT13 details as requested?
    Deepak:
    Once you're able to verify FUT13 details then system can allow us to proceed further in this case.
    you:
    Can you tell when FUT13 was purchased? As i've said before I've never made the purchase on my account.
    you:
    I didn't even know my xbox gamertag was linked to my origin account. I only use my PC.
    Deepak:
    Unfortunately, no account information can be revealed from our side due to security reason. Nevertheless, in case you cooperate in verifying other account details I can escalate this case to security team for further investigation.
    you:
    I think am cooperating. I've told you what i know about FUT13. I have not purchased this game. I've never heard of this game until now. Please escalate to the security team then.
    Deepak:
    Thank you for your cooperation mate.
    Deepak:
    Please verify your security question answer available on your account:
    Deepak:
    What city were you born in?
    you:
    XXXXX
    Deepak:
    What is your last email account which was registered with your account?
    you:
    XXXX@XXXXX
    you:
    it may have been XXXXX@XXXXX - i think i had that registered with EA a long long time ago
    Deepak:
    Would you mind holding for a minute or two while I escalate this case to our security team?
    you:
    thanks
    Deepak:
    Thank you for waiting. I appreciate your patience.
    Deepak:
    I have escalate your case to our expert team and they will respond your through email.
    Deepak:
    Please note the case numberXXXXX for future references.
    Deepak:
    Is there anything else I can assist you with today?
    you:
    they'll send an email to XXXX@XXXXX?
    Deepak:
    Probably, they will send your email on the same email account with which you have contacted us now.
    you:
    sorry - that's confusing. I'm reporting that the account has been comprised and the email has been changed - to what I don't know. If they're going to send an email to the new email address then i won't receive it. Can you confirm they'll send it to XXXX@XXXX?
    Deepak:
    Do you want your response on this email "XXXX@XXXX?
    you:
    yes please.
    Deepak:
    Thanks.
    Deepak:
    I have updated your email account on your case.
    you:
    Good, i'll look forward to the email.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Triggerhappytel 22 Dec 2012 12:22:41 2,664 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wow, he really struggled to understand that someone a) stole your account and bought Fifa and b) changed your email address, didn't he?!
  • coastal 22 Dec 2012 13:01:29 5,372 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "There may be a problem communicating with Deepak"

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• MrTomFTW Moderator 15 Jan 2014 08:26:40 36,280 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Merging a new thread with this one, this still happens apparently.

kincaide wrote:
    I just did a search to see if someone has already posted this, but I couldn't find anything - apologies if this is a duplicate thread.

On Boxing Day at about 06:00am three payments worth 70 left my credit card, and went into my PSN wallet. I didn't authorise these payments (which were for 30, 30 and 10).

I reported this straight away to Sony, who to date have not refunded me, and have simply said that they are "looking into the issue".

Looking on the community forums it looks like this may be a common problem : http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/Support-PSN/Unauthorised-purchases/m-p/20484919/highlight/true#M36408

I wanted to highlight this to the forum, so you guys are all aware. It appears the problem is related to the EA Origins set up, in particular FIFA14.

I am particularly disappointed with my treatment from Sony, who have been fobbing me off with meaningless updates since the 26th.

I would recommended that anyone with FIFA14, and you haven't changed your PSN password for awhile to do so.

Edit: spelling

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Next