HP Touchpad owners thread

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Carlo 8 Oct 2011 21:00:41 18,047 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just got mine all set up, and a Zagg invisishield. Don't like cases.

I've got a 32GB model, and not a lot to put on it. Any recommendations other than 'wait for Android' :-P

PSN ID: Djini

• Lexx87 8 Oct 2011 21:01:35 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    'Wait for iPad 3'

Speak the truth hussy!

• Carlo 8 Oct 2011 21:24:06 18,047 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    android is so close, why wait for the iPad 3?

besides, I have an ipad1 anyway.
    http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?5682-Build-Progress-Updated-10-8

• LFMartins 9 Oct 2011 10:42:01 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have you overclocked it? If not, you really should. Here is a bunch of useful guides to make it run better.

In terms of apps, you should get KalemSoft Media Player if you´re thinking of watching videos on the Touchpad (I can run 720p MKV files perfectly with my overcloked at 1.7Ghz Touchpad), Splashtop Remote is great for remote acess to your PC and if you have Machinarium you can make it run on the Touchpad.

Edit: Don´t forget to grab the Box.net app to get a free 50 GB online storage account.
  • sport 9 Oct 2011 10:57:41 12,710 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    Just got mine all set up, and a Zagg invisishield. Don't like cases.

I've got a 32GB model, and not a lot to put on it. Any recommendations other than 'wait for Android' :-P

Did you get it in the recent "firesale"?
  • ElNino9 9 Oct 2011 12:15:06 13,418 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had a play on one recently and thought it was utter shit. Couldn't believe how unresponsive and sluggish the OS was.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• GREASYL0VER 9 Oct 2011 12:56:35 127 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was "lucky" enough to get one if these for £89, and whilst it is a quarter of the price of the iPad, I bet I use it at least a quarter of as much as I'd use an iPad.

Quite unresponsive, Guardian app is the only one I really like or use.

Good for the money though.
  • Carlo 9 Oct 2011 21:46:27 18,047 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LFMartins wrote:
    Have you overclocked it? If not, you really should. Here is a bunch of useful guides to make it run better.

In terms of apps, you should get KalemSoft Media Player if you´re thinking of watching videos on the Touchpad (I can run 720p MKV files perfectly with my overcloked at 1.7Ghz Touchpad), Splashtop Remote is great for remote acess to your PC and if you have Machinarium you can make it run on the Touchpad.

Edit: Don´t forget to grab the Box.net app to get a free 50 GB online storage account.
    I got it in the original fire sale via a work supplier for £140.

overclocking it was done, but is (bizarrely) stops flash and YouTube, making it no good for the kids and their websites. I've put it back on the normal profile.

for the kids to use instead of my iPad, its well worth it, but the lack of apps in full screen (not mobile phone comparability mode) is a frustration, hence the thread.

• LFMartins 10 Oct 2011 00:50:10 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Weird, mine runs Flash and Youtube without a problem.
  • NBZ 10 Oct 2011 00:54:33 2,372 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are there any decent ebook readers for this thing?

Amazon did not release the kindle app for the UK.

I hear that the next update due imminently (3.0.3) is more responsive, but currently you can turn off debugging and install a faster clocked kernel from preware and that speeds it up a bit.
  • Carlo 11 Oct 2011 22:18:02 18,047 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NBZ' you can get kindle onto it. Just need to manually install the ipk file.

latest news from the team porting Android onto the HP TP is they're pitting DivX codecs onto it too.

• NBZ 11 Oct 2011 22:23:35 2,372 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago

I tried with an older version and it didnt work out too well.

Let's hope that the cyanogen mod port is good enough to turn the touchpad into an adequate ereader.

(or Ice Cream sandwich update which will probably be after that, which will bring proper tablet support.)
  • Carlo 13 Oct 2011 22:48:48 18,047 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dual-booting webOS and Android!

w00t!

• LFMartins 14 Oct 2011 14:24:49 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    NBZ wrote:

I tried with an older version and it didnt work out too well.

Let's hope that the cyanogen mod port is good enough to turn the touchpad into an adequate ereader.

(or Ice Cream sandwich update which will probably be after that, which will bring proper tablet support.)

Try installing this one with WebOS Quick Install. It worked perfectly for me.
  • sport 18 Oct 2011 11:59:21 12,710 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anybody here work for HP?

If so, mind dropping me a PM?

I want to buy a Touchpad, but you need to be an employee to get a special discount (with HP redeem code). I'll throw in a little extra for your trouble.
  • Carlo 18 Dec 2011 22:20:24 18,047 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So android gingerbread (via cyanogen cm7) is on. Version a3.5 looks like it will be thelast update before ICS goes on.

Super solid now. And very fast.

• superflyninja 19 Dec 2011 11:18:23 462 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ive got my touchapd wrapped up n waiting for chrimbo.(and then the scramble to install android). But earlier in the thread I saw that you can get machinarium to work on touchpad? I presume this wont work on android?

Put away those firey biscuits

• Carlo 20 Jan 2012 22:37:00 18,047 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I has the Ice Cream Sandwich

Couple of bugs still, but its wicked :-) and running at 1.7 GHz

• Page

of 1

Previous Next