Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

• Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 8 October 2011 14:35:11
    Can't see this posted anywhere so thought I'd let my fellow EGers know about it. Just been confirmed by Konami. Whilst our colonial cousins get it in just over 4 weeks time, aswell as our Japanese brethren, we are once again bum shafted by Konami. Konami have now issued a "placeholder" date of February 2012 for Europe, so it could be later than that. Gamestop UK actually have it listed for the 4th of bloody April! I've decided to import the region free PS3 version for just under 40, which is nearly 15 more than my previous Zavvi order but I'll gladly pay the extra if it means getting it at least 3 months earlier than the revised release date. What are your thoughts? Is it good that it's been delayed so we have more time to enjoy some of the awesome games coming out this fall? Or are you way too impatient like myself and going to import? Discuss!
  • Deleted user 8 October 2011 14:36:56
    Disappointing.

Very strange though.
  • kinky_mong 8 Oct 2011 14:53:10 10,426 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    sfp_noodle wrote:
    What are your thoughts?

If you're that impatient to play MGS 2&3 just play the PS2 versions.

Disappointing that they've shafted Europe on the release date, but there's plenty of other games coming in the next two months so I won't be shedding a tear.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Deleted user 8 October 2011 14:58:57
    Awesome.

Gives me a chance to sell MGS2 Substance and MGS3 Subsistence on ebay.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2011 15:04:51
    kinky_mong wrote:
    sfp_noodle wrote:
    What are your thoughts?

If you're that impatient to play MGS 2&3 just play the PS2 versions.

Disappointing that they've shafted Europe on the release date, but there's plenty of other games coming in the next two months so I won't be shedding a tear.

Well the whole point of this collection is that its so much better than the originals. Nevermind the HD visuals, they also have full screen cutscenes without any borders, 60fps on MGS3 aswell as full trophy support and even online play for Peace Walker. In fact all those improvements are the reasons I've been holding off re-playing my old PS2 versions!
  • rick1199 8 Oct 2011 15:06:28 11 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Might wait for the Vita version instead!
  • Rens11 8 Oct 2011 15:10:11 1,417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Suits me ok as got a huge backlog of games and assignments coming up should have more time by then!

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Cappy 8 Oct 2011 16:12:36 12,017 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A shame for anybody who was desperate to get this 'collection', Konami allowed a bit too much thinking time in my case, I've cooled off on both this and the Silent Hill collection, they've been downgraded to no buy/five Pounds in the bargain bin.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2011 16:19:07
    actually happy in a way. Too many games out. something to buy in Feb/march/april. Wonder if sony are pushing this to be a launch title for the vita in europe, so doing a corelated launch then.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2011 23:05:37
    joelstinton wrote:
    actually happy in a way. Too many games out. something to buy in Feb/march/april. Wonder if sony are pushing this to be a launch title for the vita in europe, so doing a corelated launch then.
    I can't see that happening personally. I think its just Konami doing the usual "fuck Europe over" routine. Considering that both Japan and the US have a locked down November 8th launch, it makes you wonder why its been delayed because the US launch confirms that there aren't any localisation issues to contend with. The worst part is that the news was broken by the actual retailers as opposed to Konami themselves releasing a statement. Pretty shit of them to be honest.
  • Deleted user 9 October 2011 11:54:09
    We've had no official confirmation and if/when we do its hardly a fuck Europe situation. You can bet Konami Europe is chomping at the bit wanting to hit the holiday season with this, especially they have nothing else to sell besides PES.

So there must be a legit reason for any hold up, perhaps they want to offer the artbook set here as well.
  • Cobalt_Jackal 9 Oct 2011 12:08:32 135 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Well if its getting delayed here in Europe till 2012, welll then we better get a shitload of extra content to make for this totally out of order and very unfair move by Konami.
  • CosmicFuzz 9 Oct 2011 12:35:24 24,822 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I find it hard to believe that a company would intentionally miss the Christmas holiday season just to say "fuck you" to a market.

Looking for a new video game podcast? Try ours! (And give us a rating on iTunes!) :)

• Deleted user 9 October 2011 13:36:32
    Konami America: Behold! A special edition with artbook. You will be sucked.

Konami Europe: But how?

Konami America: Nanomachines.

Konami Europe: Japan do something.

Konami Japan: La Le Lo La Lo

Konami Europe: This is Madness.

Konami America: This is Konami!
  • Gaol 9 Oct 2011 13:47:32 2,423 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They probably looked at the release schedule and thought 'this is going to get buried, move to a quiet month'.
  • Aretak 9 Oct 2011 14:56:52 10,365 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I noticed the other day when looking at my pre-order of the Zavvi exclusive thing that the date had changed to February. Suits me fine actually, although Mass Effect 3 will be out around the same time...
  • Hunam 9 Oct 2011 14:58:43 20,674 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This is actually good for me as by Feb i'll actually be able to afford to lump 70 down on the SE.
  • Deleted user 10 October 2011 12:38:29
    @HermitArcader

I've emailed Zavvi, Shopto, Tesco and Play and all of them replied saying that the release date has been officially delayed until early 2012 although that date is still a placeholder. It could be longer. Admittedly there are a lot of good games coming out over the coming months to cover the waiting period but a 3 month wait is stupid when you consider that the US are getting it on November 8th.
  • ecu 10 Oct 2011 12:39:53 77,011 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    This is actually good for me as by Feb i'll actually be able to afford to lump 70 down on the SE.

Same here. There's just so many other games coming out before Christmas, this collection is one I'd crossed off the list (due to having played and finished all the games before). I'm quite a fan of the series though, and I'd love to get the SE.
  • richardiox 10 Oct 2011 12:51:58 5,633 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good to see that big Japanese publishers still look on Europe like it's still the early 1990s. Sony hardware launches, Nintendo hardware etc
  • dsmx 10 Oct 2011 13:05:02 7,645 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Could also mean that konami realised that releasing games in the christmas window is a stupid idea with all the heavy hitters coming out at the same time and by delaying it until early next year they have a better chance at higher sales.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• andywilkie35 10 Oct 2011 13:11:00 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got to say that this is a blessing in disguise for me, means I can save some money next month!

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• javvyman 10 Oct 2011 13:23:07 716 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    Could also mean that konami realised that releasing games in the christmas window is a stupid idea with all the heavy hitters coming out at the same time and by delaying it until early next year they have a better chance at higher sales.

Right.... That explains why they're still releasing it in their two biggest territories...

Seriously though, this game isn't really capturing new audiences, so the people who were going to buy it anyway are probably going to buy something else now. This delay is only damaging the game's prospective sales.
  • ecu 10 Oct 2011 13:34:16 77,011 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    dsmx wrote:

Right.... That explains why they're still releasing it in their two biggest territories...

Seriously though, this game isn't really capturing new audiences, so the people who were going to buy it anyway are probably going to buy something else now. This delay is only damaging the game's prospective sales.

There's five people in this thread alone saying they're glad it has been delayed because they wouldn't have been able to afford it otherwise. So the delay looks like it'll actually increase sales.

"That explains why they're still releasing it in their two biggest territories..."

This is also wrong. Konami have seperate Japanese, American and European divisions. The European arm of Konami could have taken this decision independently. They themselves could have decided to avoid the Christmas rush, while Konami US have decided to chance it.
  • javvyman 10 Oct 2011 14:31:32 716 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Doesn't matter if the decision was made independently or collectively, the decision is still Konami's.

This negative decision regarding the European release was most likely made to gauge how well the game is received in Konami's prime markets, the USA and Japan.

If I indulge your logic for a second, why would Konami of Europe delay the release of what is likely their second biggest multiplatform release (between PES 2012 and Silent Hill) and miss out on the vastly superior potential in sales during the christmas period, when their other divisions are, as you say "chancing it" by going ahead and releasing it at christmas?

There is no doubt people are interested in this collection, but the people who are interested have in all likelihood played a previous interation and are looking to re-capture their experiences in HD and want something to play during christmas.

How you speculate Konami of Europe have independently delayed the game so it has a positive effect on sales in non-sensical.

• ecu 10 Oct 2011 14:39:42 77,011 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    Doesn't matter if the decision was made independently or collectively, the decision is still Konami's.

This negative decision regarding the European release was most likely made to gauge how well the game is received in Konami's prime markets, the USA and Japan.

If I indulge your logic for a second, why would Konami of Europe delay the release of what is likely their second biggest multiplatform release (between PES 2012 and Silent Hill) and miss out on the vastly superior potential in sales during the christmas period, when their other divisions are, as you say "chancing it" by going ahead and releasing it at christmas?

Because if you bomb at Christmas then you lose sales. This game will bomb if they release it before Christmas. So they release it AFTER Christmas, and get more sales. It's not complicated.

I don't think the Christmas season is that important in Japan, not like it is in the West, so that doesn't matter. They will lose sales in the US by releasing this before Christmas in the middle of Battlefield-Skyrim-Call of Dutymania. They're sending it out to die.

If Konami have delayed the European release in order to avoid getting eaten alive in the Christmas rush, they've done the right thing imo.
  • dsmx 10 Oct 2011 15:57:29 7,645 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HD versions of old metal gear solid games is going to be a tough sell when it's up against battlefield, batman, skyrim, uncharted and call of duty plus probably some other's I've forgotten. Konami Europe are doing the intelligent thing by waiting till the new year, just those games alone would set you back going on 200 and nobodies going to have time to play them all properly.

Delaying it is a very good call, releasing it in the christmas period is releasing it to die.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Page

of 11 First / Last

Previous