Steve Jobs has died Page 33

• Page

of 37 First / Last

• cianchristopher 26 Oct 2011 15:34:06 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    cianchristopher wrote:
    Everybody knows he was an asshole. Everybody.

Except Ecosse and Mowgli.
    Of course I don't know, I never met him.
    I actually couldn't give a fuck if he was an asshole or not, I'm sure 99% of CEOs are, nice guys don't tend to get to the very top in business.

If you want to fantasize about how evil a dead tech businessman is then go for it, I hope you get off on it.
    Well, I didn't know him personally either, ecosse.

But he was an extremely high-profile public figure, whose personal life was exhaustively documentesd in print and in media for decades.

By most (if not all) accounts, he was a very unsavoury individual, with more than a touch of megalomania. He also has done some pretty shitty things over the years.

He was a great businessman, and built a hugely successful empire. That's hard to argue with.

But you don't have to leap to his defence all the time, man. Admit that he was a bit of a dickhead (he was). Jesus, it might do you some good. It doesn't even have to affect your appreciation of Apple products. Not in the slightest.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2011 15:34:23
    DDevil wrote:
    The real sad part of this to me is that I only heard a little of Jobs' cuntish nature while he was alive. They saved the real bulk of it for when he died and can't answer the accusations.

Not that he would have answered them I suppose.
    Really? Pretty sure most of this was well known before he passed.
  • nickthegun 26 Oct 2011 15:37:28 61,060 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. Jobs was quite famously a shit while he was alive. If anything, hes being overly eulogised about, which I suspect is the major contributing point of the thread.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Fab4 26 Oct 2011 15:38:06 6,162 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, stories going even way back to his Atari days have been around for ages. Anyone with any interest in finding out, would have known he was an abrasive, forthright cunt. Even with that though, plenty of people who had regular dealings with him, actually liked him. Even Bill Gates.

Edited by Fab4 at 15:39:22 26-10-2011
  • FWB 26 Oct 2011 15:48:51 45,216 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nazi gold!
  • Clive_Dunn 26 Oct 2011 15:50:04 4,785 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bashing Dirtbox was more fun, down with this sort of thing.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 26 Oct 2011 15:51:15 39,373 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nick and Crispy - fair enough, I guess it's just being highlighted more now to the point where I've noticed it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• neilka 26 Oct 2011 16:06:10 16,468 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is he still dead? It must be the third day by now?

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Deleted user 26 October 2011 16:22:09
    They should reset the p-ram
  • Gl3n Moderator 26 Oct 2011 17:27:44 5,853 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Reading his biography at the moment, it's a great read, interesting. Surprisingly balanced too. He also seems like a complete cunt, not just in terms of rudeness, but walking around barefoot and throwing tantrums/crying etc.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2011 17:29:58
    The thing I find weird is how people think Gates is a asshole and love Jobs, whereas Gates appears to be a really lovely bloke and Jobs wasn't so much.

It's like people project their feelings about the brands themselves onto these people.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2011 17:31:52
    Gl3n wrote:
    Reading his biography at the moment, it's a great read, interesting. Surprisingly balanced too. He also seems like a complete cunt, not just in terms of rudeness, but walking around barefoot and throwing tantrums/crying etc.
    Was about to ask if anyone had bought it. Is it accessible then? Been looking for a new biography after giving up on the W Buffet tome.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2011 17:33:17
    kalel wrote:
    The thing I find weird is how people think Gates is a asshole and love Jobs, whereas Gates appears to be a really lovely bloke and Jobs wasn't so much.

It's like people project their feelings about the brands themselves onto these people.
    Who is saying that?
  • Deleted user 26 October 2011 17:35:51
    mowgli wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Who is saying that?
    Just a general comment on how most people broadly seem to regard the two. Not necessarily in this thread, or even this forum.
  • MrDigital 26 Oct 2011 17:41:00 1,866 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Who is saying that?
    Just a general comment on how most people broadly seem to regard the two. Not necessarily in this thread, or even this forum.
    I tend to agree. Most people I know who aren't really in the know about the industry itself, but just know its products and two or three of the big people in it seem to think the way you described due to stereotypes. One stereotype that does seem to be true though is that Gates is quite socially inept... Even whilst watching non-controversial interviews where he's not being grilled by the interviewer, I still almost feel awkward watching him.

Edited by Geesh at 17:41:39 26-10-2011

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Deleted user 26 October 2011 17:41:42
    Ah fair enough, misunderstood you.
  • Pinky_Floyd 26 Oct 2011 17:42:32 8,263 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apple made my life easier. Actually they made it harder cos I had to keep traipsing to the apple store with broken phones, seems i got a lot of bad apples from that particular barrel.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2011 17:43:26
    @Geesh - Isn't that just 'being a nerd'? (not slagging or anything)
  • ronuds 26 Oct 2011 17:45:26 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On the road to becoming a billionaire, you're going to step on a few throats - unless you inherit it.

Whether or not he was a good family man/friend would have been the true test of his character.
  • MrDigital 26 Oct 2011 17:49:40 1,866 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    @Geesh - Isn't that just 'being a nerd'? (not slagging or anything)
    Isn't that just being a bit over-generalising? :D

But genuinely, I don't think so, I know plenty of nerdy people who far more outgoing than most people, and let's face it, someone who doesn't have some sort of nerdy interest (not limited to tech) is going to be quite a boring person.

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 26 Oct 2011 18:45:56 39,373 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Seemed like the right place to post this.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 26 October 2011 18:57:23
    :D
  • oceanmotion 26 Oct 2011 19:06:50 16,089 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :D

I've noticed a lot more people seem to hate Gates and less hate for Jobs. I think that may change with the new book about Jobs.

You don't get as far as these guys by being nice.

As for Gates, he seem okay, can take a joke, admits mistakes, has good and bad things to say, enthusiastic about technology, more of a visionary than Jobs ever was. He just isn't that cool business man like Jobs who makes the most of his ideas. If Gates doesn't get as much attention and compliments when he dies, that will be very sad.

As Steve Jobs biography went on sale from today, Fortune magazine has got an exclusive reprint rights of part of the biography where the relationship between Steve Jobs and Bill Gates was discussed. In that, following is the situation when Steve Jobs came to know that Bill Gates at Microsoft is developing a competing OS and Bill Gates visits Apple’s campus to talk with Steve as per his request.

Their meeting was in Jobs’s conference room, where Gates found himself surrounded by ten Apple employees who were eager to watch their boss assail him. Jobs didn’t disappoint his troops. “You’re ripping us off!” he shouted. “I trusted you, and now you’re stealing from us!” Gates just sat there coolly, looking Steve in the eye, before hurling back, in his squeaky voice, what became a classic zinger. “Well, Steve, I think there’s more than one way of looking at it. I think it’s more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it.
    Edited by oceanmotion at 19:13:33 26-10-2011
  • FWB 26 Oct 2011 19:07:45 45,216 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anyone who wears a polo-neck is a twat.
  • morriss 26 Oct 2011 19:16:26 71,283 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love the "you have to be an arsehole to be successful" myth that people use to justify rich people being arseholes.

It's simply not true.
  • Deleted user 26 October 2011 19:22:56
    Damn you ocean motion, that quote makes me want to read his book even more now :(
  • oceanmotion 26 Oct 2011 19:24:07 16,089 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @morriss

Perhaps, not being nice isn't really being an arsehole, just willing to do things to one up your competitors if needs be. Smart of course.

Bill has made some wrong predictions but good one here from 1994. Once again, failed to take advantage like so many things from Microsoft.

"At the center of this will be the idea of digital convergence. That is, taking all the information—books, catalogs, shopping approaches, professional advice, art, movies—and taking those things in their digital form, ones and zeroes, and being able to provide them on demand on a device looking like a TV, a small device you carry around, or what the PC will evolve into."
    —Bill Gates, COMDEX keynote speech, 1994
  • Gl3n Moderator 26 Oct 2011 19:46:49 5,853 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Gl3n wrote:
    Was about to ask if anyone had bought it. Is it accessible then? Been looking for a new biography after giving up on the W Buffet tome.
    Yeah it's pretty accessible. Interesting insight into his private life and all of the usual stuff you'd expect from a biography. It really lifts the lid on some of his terrible attributes, being a prick to his working class parents and abandoning his kid. It picks apart what drove him and how he pieced together his business acumen. 5-6 chapters in out of 42 (i think).
  • Page

of 37 First / Last