Building extension costs Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • mrpon 21 Feb 2013 14:08:44 28,416 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well apparently the cheaper one doesn't involve building regs, which essentially means they can cut corners. However you could become unstuck when you want to sell.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• DaM 21 Feb 2013 14:09:33 12,888 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    I'm looking to get extension/conservatory/orangery added on and had two quotes so far, 16k and 28k.

o_O
    You orangery ponce!!!!!
  • Dougs 7 Mar 2013 14:27:32 66,611 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Woo hoo, 500 not entirely wasted....building control are happy with the foundations. Now to get plans drawn up....how much are architects these days? Fear I'm going to have to lean on extended family to get these done....
  • RunningMan 7 Mar 2013 14:32:44 2,386 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got some plans drawn up for a one story extension for 400. Some builders will be able to do this for you. Do you have a builder in mind? Might be worth talking to them first.
  • Dougs 7 Mar 2013 14:39:29 66,611 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The one who is doing the ground work said he's no good at all that, but does know a few people who can do it (but aren't architects). As I say, got one in the extended family, so might be easier to pay travel costs, put them up for the weekend and get them to do it at cost.
  • Randomlampy 7 Mar 2013 14:46:05 580 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @mrpon Don't know if you made the choice in the end that man, but we had a conservatory added in April last year and had a similar choice 13k without regs and keeping existing patio doors or 22k for building regs and removing patio doors and making it "4 season" insulated.

In the end chose the more expensive option for that extra peace of mind come sale time as you say, and to remove the existing doors to make downstairs more open plan. Not sure if I'd say it was worth every penny as that aint walking around money but it is getting close :)

Best of luck

Best of british to you too Dougs, with no experience in the family I made the choice to use a traditional "all in one" company to plan the lot for which I paid a premium, but if you've got that option then good for you.
  • Dougs 7 Mar 2013 15:03:06 66,611 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers - have dabbled my toe and asked how much architects are as a starting point, you never know, they might offer to do it! I approached the subject last time I saw them, and was probably quite transparent...!
  • Nexus_6 7 Mar 2013 15:16:45 3,871 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A proper architect, appointed from the start should charge a flat fee based on the level of service required, and as a percentage of the construction cost.

For example if you are doing a full extension with kitchen/bathroom etc and you want design (which is important and a service to pay for - you can always spot who has got the builder to lay something out on a bit of a4 paper to cover planning and warrant), planning and building warrant submissions and even some details of the construction of the thing, along with site supervision and payments to builders (if that is required) then you are looking to shell out up to 7% of the cost of building it.

On the other hand if you only want a set of planning drawings and warrant drawings to take to a builder to knock up in his usual manner then it would be less, but not below about 3% i would say.
  • Dougs 7 Mar 2013 15:20:02 66,611 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, we'll need some design work inside as we want to make the existing bathroom smaller, and re-model with the extension to give us a 3rd bedroom.
  • Nexus_6 7 Mar 2013 15:42:10 3,871 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OK, in that case then I would be getting an actual architect to look at it.

This is so they can provide you with impartial advice and hopefully a clever design to maximise the potential of the work.

A builder is more apt to simply do it the easiest way he can without putting much thought in to things, which can work out more expensive in the long run.

If you cant get your tame architect to do the work, (i was about to type 'look in the phonebook there...') get on to the RIBA website and dont be afraid to call a practice that looks like it would suit you. In fact, call 3 - they will more than likely do you a free consultation at your house.
    Description_here
  • Dougs 7 Mar 2013 15:48:58 66,611 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers - that was always our assumption, but just wondered on costs. As I say, we have an architect in the extended family (sister-in-law's, brother's wife!) so they might offer, otherwise I'll get a few round to offer a quote. Don't really want to cut corners on something like this.
  • Nexus_6 7 Mar 2013 16:17:12 3,871 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's good to hear - plenty people assume that a builder will just take care of everything and no need for an architect.

Problem is, often what the architect brings to the table is intangible in terms of real world benefits. Sometimes its just a slightly better layout, a sensible position of a room or a door etc. Difficult to quantify.

Let me know how it goes, and remember, engaging an architect means you are getting a lot of protection built-in if anything goes tits up.

edit - and if you werent in London (i think...?) I would offer my services, unless you want to pay airfare from Glasgow too? ;-)

Edited by Nexus_6 at 16:18:07 07-03-2013
  • Dougs 7 Mar 2013 16:27:26 66,611 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Now on the Isle of Wight! If it was a straightforward build I'd be more tempted just to get someone to throw something together, but we're probably going to have to have a pitched roof joining our existing roof, plus all the work inside, which should be straightforward enough, but as you say will need careful design as the layout will be different to say the least!
  • mrpon 7 Mar 2013 16:52:20 28,416 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Randomlampy Cheers fella, no not made decision yet. Though funnily enough the expensive company have been back on since and dropped the top end price from 28k to 22k. Amazing what happens if you make em sweat!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Randomlampy 7 Mar 2013 17:55:15 580 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @mrpon Yeah we managed to shave off an easy 2 grand by dragging them on for a month or two while we desperately gathered what money we could find :)

22k from 28k is nice though :)
  • Dougs 22 Mar 2013 13:23:04 66,611 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    About 700 for the plans, application to planning, taking it through building regs etc, so not too bad. 1st bloke I rung is the only one (from 4) who has bothered to get back to me, and came recommended anyway. Eeeek!
  • fergal_oc 22 Mar 2013 13:32:55 2,763 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was quoted 45k for my single storey extension and roof pull. I've yet to do it :(
  • Dougs 22 Mar 2013 13:36:40 66,611 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuck! Hoping that as the foundations are sound it'll be much cheaper. 20k would be ideal imo
  • Dougs 22 Mar 2013 13:39:40 66,611 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, and I bet if you quoted now you'd get a much cheaper result!
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next