Next generation of consoles come in Page 316

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• Widge Moderator 8 Jul 2013 10:18:43 13,475 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    I'm intrigued to see how long PSPlus continues in its current form in the next generation. It's only as good as it is because they needed to gain parity with MS, multinationals tend not to be that generous unless their hand is forced.

If the XBone shits itself badly there's no pressing need for Sony to continue being as relatively generous as they have been going into the next gen. I wonder also how much of a dent it would make in early games sales if people just wait and see what titles come into the scheme?

My PS3 was a Bluray/Uncharted player for years, but with the Vita being in there with PS+ I find myself wishing I'd kept the PS3 instead of the 360 when I went down to just one console.
    Great trojan horse device. I now have a PSvita collection without actually owning the thing, making me want to own one. PSN+ really does a treat - PSone games, PSP games, PSvita games & PS3 games. If this adds in Gaikai and PS4 games (which I expect to take a while to take off), then it becomes a fantastic unifying offering, essentially drawing you away from the competition to maximise the value from the money you pay.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• JiveHound 8 Jul 2013 10:20:05 2,416 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Face down on the floor naked in a puddle of vomit/body fluids with no memory of the last week.

Or get out.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• JiveHound 8 Jul 2013 10:20:59 2,416 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ninja'd.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Widge Moderator 8 Jul 2013 10:21:38 13,475 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    The PS3 has been more expensive than the 360 since day 1, yet they lead in worldwide sales. That should say volumes about how much that 80 quid really matters.
    I think it gives an indication of it's brand power. I think Sony had relatively more brand power at the end of the PS2 era, than Microsoft has now.
    I also think they turned it around towards the end of the gen, closing the gap. Investment in their own games and PSN+ seems to have started to sway people the other way - at least in terms of people who were previous 360 only perhaps starting to go PS3 for exclusives and 360 for multiplats.

Big thing will be how the multiplats go next gen. If Sony, by abandoning crazy architecture and bespoke processing quirks, becomes the multiplat platform of choice, what on earth does Microsoft have left?

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Deleted user 8 July 2013 10:48:08
    I think Microsoft's online infrastructure is better then Sony's. well, it is with the 360/ps3. The PS store can be really slow at times. But with PS+ being a must for online play with the PS4, I'm guessing that could change.

Edited by SG59 at 10:50:18 08-07-2013
  • Rose-of-Sorrow 8 Jul 2013 11:01:47 500 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pre-orders for PS4 being halted at Gamestop in NA. It might be wise to put a pre-order in while you can for anyone wanting one, it can't be too long before they do the same over here!
  • dean0null 9 Jul 2013 01:46:23 55 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm completely okay with selling limited quantity items at above market price. I highly doubt that anywhere near five percent of consoles bought this winter season will be sold above market value. Anyone can call selling sold out consoles a douchy move while I just consider it as using market dynamics for my benefit. I'd argue that people willing to pay above market value for a console are in a submarket and I accept it as such. I'm giving them an extra option and sure they pay a premium, but they vote with their wallets.

I also buy items in Black Friday sales and sell them at a higher price. I guess that could be considered douchy as well. I'm taking the option from another at getting a great price, but I do it to get my own great price. I call it what it is: business.
  • xYOSSARIANx 9 Jul 2013 02:01:11 126 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pre=ordered a PS4 @ Tesco's today.

They said I was going to get day one, but I don't necessarily believe that. Told me to come back launch night at midnight as they are open 24 hours and get my console. They also said they had taken 25 PS4 pre-orders and none for the Xbox one.

PSN ReggieMcMuffin

• andytheadequate 9 Jul 2013 09:36:14 8,132 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @dean0null - you're the equivalent of a ticket tout. Or even worse, one of the HUKD forum vultures.
  • Bremenacht 10 Jul 2013 16:13:34 17,843 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wonder how this news may affect the future of xbox.

To me, it's another pointer towards Microsoft pushing xbox as a set-top box rather than a games console. From a gaming pov, I do not see this as being good. It feels like Microsoft is retreating from a winning position (in gaming consoles).
  • Benno 10 Jul 2013 16:48:50 9,844 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dean0null wrote:
    I'm completely okay with selling limited quantity items at above market price. I highly doubt that anywhere near five percent of consoles bought this winter season will be sold above market value. Anyone can call selling sold out consoles a douchy move while I just consider it as using market dynamics for my benefit. I'd argue that people willing to pay above market value for a console are in a submarket and I accept it as such. I'm giving them an extra option and sure they pay a premium, but they vote with their wallets.

I also buy items in Black Friday sales and sell them at a higher price. I guess that could be considered douchy as well. I'm taking the option from another at getting a great price, but I do it to get my own great price. I call it what it is: business.
    lol calm down Alan Sugar
  • Benno 10 Jul 2013 16:49:14 9,844 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Ashleyfiddes 10 Jul 2013 16:52:09 980 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Benno I reckon he is more Donald trump then Alan sugar
  • sanctusmortis 10 Jul 2013 20:07:27 9,628 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MS' changes to points kinda finish off, for me, my chances of trying to scrape the cash together to get an XB1. It's PC upgrades for me:

Back compatibility with all my current games
    Cheaper games on launch
    Sales, sales, sales
    Free multiplayer
    Diverse market
    ALL the indies
    Multifunctional
    Works with my 360 pads

Plus, 400 gets me a decent upgrade and a couple of games (thanks to GPU promotions like Never Settle for AMD and Gear Up for Nvidia), which neither console would. I just don't gel with Sony's exclusives, and MS seem keen to piss me off (up until that change, they'd not really annoyed me too much), so I guess I'll wait a bit for them to justify it.
  • Fake_Blood 10 Jul 2013 20:18:11 4,171 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Valve should do an os just for games.
    Cut out all that windows/directx crap.
    I would dualboot if it made games run faster.
  • sanctusmortis 10 Jul 2013 22:42:15 9,628 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mazty wrote:
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    MS' changes to points kinda finish off, for me, my chances of trying to scrape the cash together to get an XB1. It's PC upgrades for me:

Back compatibility with all my current games
    Cheaper games on launch
    Sales, sales, sales
    Free multiplayer
    Diverse market
    ALL the indies
    Multifunctional
    Works with my 360 pads

Plus, 400 gets me a decent upgrade and a couple of games (thanks to GPU promotions like Never Settle for AMD and Gear Up for Nvidia), which neither console would. I just don't gel with Sony's exclusives, and MS seem keen to piss me off (up until that change, they'd not really annoyed me too much), so I guess I'll wait a bit for them to justify it.
    What are your specs at the moment? The issue I have is that if I upgrade, I'll have to get a whole new MB, RAM etc which is a total nut buster as it makes the price a lot more than either of the next-gen consoles.
    AM2+ A64 X2 5000, 4GB DDR2 800, 1GB 5570. So, for me, I need to be upgrading my PC anyhow. All the extraneous is fine, though; my only IDE device is the DVD drive (15 to replace, so not even an issue), the PSU's a 500w one so it'll do til I get a better one later, and so on. For 400, I can get a new motherboard, decent AMD CPU and 8GB of DDR3 1600, with a chunk of change left to upgrade the GPU to a 7790. Or, if I stick with the 5570 for now, I can go Intel and get something like this.

For me, the biggest question I have now is what AMD do next (ie is the new APU/CPU series socket AM4 or FM3, and what new features does it add), not whether either console would do me better.

Edited by sanctusmortis at 22:44:53 10-07-2013
  • FrostPan 10 Jul 2013 23:10:58 168 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Any ideas on how much would I need to spend to completely build a gaming PC from scratch that would be last me the next few years through the next generation?

Was initially interested on the Xbox One, but after the shit that's been happening since they announced it and the high price tag, I don't think I'll bother now.

Think I'll still stick with my PS3 for a few more years til I get a PS4.
  • Deleted user 10 July 2013 23:32:34
    I don't actually think you need a top of the line gaming PC. I'd describe mine as a budget one and it's played everything I wanted without any issues.

Going to get a console aswell, but I'll wait till the games are there.

Edited by SG59 at 23:37:26 10-07-2013
  • dsmx 10 Jul 2013 23:44:24 7,589 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Fake_Blood Well valve have been extremely quiet on releasing games and Gabe doesn't like the way windows is going, those programmers must be up to something.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Deleted user 11 July 2013 00:24:07
    I find Valve a strange company really. They have the potential and the respect to do a lot more then they do, but its like they're unsure of what that next thing to do is.

Steam has been a huge success for them and so has their source engine. But lately they've seemed fairly quiet. Left 4 dead was okay, but I don't think it was anything to really shout about. Portal wasnt actually an idea they had, it was thought up by and indie team called Nuclear Monkey Software, which Gab quickly bought after seeing the teams game then called Narbacular Drop.

I'm not bashing them. I just find it odd that a company of their status have such little output.

Edited by SG59 at 00:27:46 11-07-2013
  • dsmx 11 Jul 2013 00:36:59 7,589 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think their output suffers because they have steam it provides a steady stream of money so they have no real pressure to make games. When they do release something it's always highly polished and enjoyable but DOTA2 is the only thing they've released since portal 2 and DOTA doesnt' strike me as a game that needs a lot of people to make so valve must be up to something.

If I was feeling optimistic I would say they are working on source 3 which would be mac, linux and PC compatible graphics engine and a game to go along with it. If I was valve that's what I would be up to right now.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• oceanmotion 11 Jul 2013 00:41:28 15,838 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bit of myth that Valve don't release stuff.

They have released a new game every year for ages along with free game updates that aren't just a map pack. New Steam features, Mac, Linux. Valve have been busy.

Of course, can't suit everyone. Why they bothered with Counter Strike again, I just don't know.

New Source engine being developed, HL3. Who knows when but it has to be special which I imagine is part of the problem. Valve have been behind the curve for a long time, can they come out ahead with new stuff.
  • Deleted user 11 July 2013 00:51:16
    See, the rumours around Valve making HL3, Source 3 etc have been going on for years now. So I'm not so sure they're doing it.

They seem quite content with focusing on Steam and releasing the odd game here and there.
  • Chopsen 11 Jul 2013 01:03:06 15,885 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SG59 wrote:
    I find Valve a strange company really. They have the potential and the respect to do a lot more then they do, but its like they're unsure of what that next thing to do is.

Steam has been a huge success for them and so has their source engine. But lately they've seemed fairly quiet. Left 4 dead was okay, but I don't think it was anything to really shout about. Portal wasnt actually an idea they had, it was thought up by and indie team called Nuclear Monkey Software, which Gab quickly bought after seeing the teams game then called Narbacular Drop.

I'm not bashing them. I just find it odd that a company of their status have such little output.
    You've answered it yourself. Steam has been a huge success. Far easier to profit off delivering other people's content (nice steady income) rather than invest in developing a new game that may or may not make money.

Re the point about "they release free updates" well yeah, but that is really just to attract people to keep loading up Steam, isn't it? People know their established games are being actively updated, keeps them intested, they keep loading up steam, adverts for cheap games pop up, clicky clicky makey money.

Actually creating *NEW* IP, or something of significant investment in terms of money? Nah, there's nothing in it for them.

Like you said, the last decent thing they did (Portal) they just bought up and put a stamp on it. Hell, even TF and CS were originally mods done elsewhere and bought in ;).
  • DjFlex52 11 Jul 2013 02:49:04 127 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:

Actually creating *NEW* IP, or something of significant investment in terms of money? Nah, there's nothing in it for them.

What's in it for them? Aren't they developers? Don't game developers "create" games. The feeling of accomplishment and success should be what's in it for them. Now they are really just a business/corporation who ONLY cares about making money. Valve has been put on such a pedestal for too long...why, I don't know?
  • dean0null 11 Jul 2013 03:23:19 55 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Ashleyfiddes Ha! Next on my list: buy a weave :)

Edited by dean0null at 03:30:28 11-07-2013
  • Khanivor 11 Jul 2013 04:50:32 40,554 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Then again, they make something fresh and awesome and you have more people downloading Steam.
  • Baihu1983 11 Jul 2013 16:05:07 3,415 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ninja Theory teasing their next game

http://vimeo.com/70026594
  • Deleted user 11 July 2013 16:08:43
    DjFlex52 wrote:
    The feeling of accomplishment and success should be what's in it for them.
    Yes. Every other dev aside from Valve are in it solely for wishes and rainbows.
  • Page

of 402 First / Last