Registered 10 years ago
    @Rodriguez allo allo?
  • ronuds 21 Jun 2013 21:17:12 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    uglygamer wrote:
    Console market is dead?
    Yeah I don't get it either. PS3 and X360 sold 25m each in the last two years alone. Probably the same people that say PCs are dead or Apple is dead.
    Every year only seems to be measured against the 2 or 3 when the Wii was kicking more butt than anything ever. Obviously it's only going to look like doom and gloom in comparison to that.
  • Rodriguez 21 Jun 2013 21:38:25 1,092 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder

Allo to you too Rob ;)
  • King_Edward 21 Jun 2013 21:57:08 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    @King_Edward I like how you conveniently cut the part that details how it would lead to piracy, as all hackers have to do is meld the code base. Nice.

Put simply: if you have both systems, then all someone has to do is remove the bit of code that identifies whether a game is installed from disc or downloaded, thus removing both the need for a 24-hour check-in and a disc in the tray. As you can't have a disc in the tray for a download, the obvious answer is to require the check-in. With that gone, we go back to the current, dev-unfriendly, store-driven method where buying a used game funds only the store you bought it at.
    I cut the bit where you suggested it was a good idea to withhold features from paying customers because of what hackers might do.
  • DrStrangelove 21 Jun 2013 22:22:44 3,688 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @ronuds

It seems to me like shareholders' views are considered industry facts today. If Apple loses market share (because Google is taking the main part of the growing market), they're going down, no matter if they still make $30 billion profit in a quarter. If tablets outsell PCs, then PCs are doomed, no matter they still sell hundreds of millions, and Apple is still selling lots of iMacs.

Lots of inflated hyperbole imo.
  • mcmothercruncher 21 Jun 2013 22:31:32 6,772 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HYPER BOWL:

• DrStrangelove 21 Jun 2013 22:50:03 3,688 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's the most amazing hyperbowl I've ever seen
  • mcmothercruncher 21 Jun 2013 22:52:01 6,772 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's liderally the best in the entire universe!!
  • RobTheBuilder 21 Jun 2013 23:38:12 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Every game I try on steam now crashes regularly, and everything with 3D has the AMD graphics card stuttering issue.

PS4 seems mighty tempting now. This is why people buy consoles.
  • DrStrangelove 21 Jun 2013 23:40:20 3,688 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Do you have Windows 8? Just curious. Some not-quite-that-new games seem to crash frequently since I switched to Win8.
  • mcmothercruncher 21 Jun 2013 23:42:04 6,772 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Were the new games XBox One demos?

Switch to Windows 7 :)
  • Aretak 21 Jun 2013 23:48:55 10,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Haven't had any problems with older stuff on Windows 8, personally. I've been playing through the original Max Payne over the past couple of weeks without any issues (apart from needing the sound fix that's also needed on W7), and have played KotR and a few others without any issues. Indeed, I actually managed to get Jade Empire working properly on W8 after never managing to do so on W7 (the settings app would always just crash on opening).
  • RobTheBuilder 21 Jun 2013 23:58:43 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @DrStrangelove Nope, windows 7!

Saints row 3, grid, NFS shift, sleeping dogs, all stuttering constantly.
    Saints row, NFS Shift both crashing.

All worked fine for 18 months and now half of them borderline unplayable.
  • Aretak 22 Jun 2013 00:10:06 10,350 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Weird. I've actually played all but Shift out of those fairly recently on my creaky old 4870 and haven't had any stuttering problems. I'm sure you're using a newer card than that though. Try updating to the latest drivers (if you haven't already) or maybe reinstall Windows altogether. The latter certainly should fix it, assuming the card itself isn't fucked.
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Jun 2013 00:13:52 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Newer but not great... A 5670.

It's always worked perfectly until recently though. Tried drivers and nothing so far!
  • DrStrangelove 22 Jun 2013 03:37:52 3,688 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That's Win8 saved then
  • PenguinJim 22 Jun 2013 07:20:42 5,827 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Every game I try on steam now crashes regularly, and everything with 3D has the AMD graphics card stuttering issue.

PS4 seems mighty tempting now. This is why people buy consoles.
    Actually, that's why people buy nVidia cards. The price/hardware ratio is only in AMD's favour by a tiny amount, but having decent drivers? Priceless.

Yes, I'm bored of disc/download arguments... let's have a nVidia/AMD fight! \o/
  • sanctusmortis 22 Jun 2013 10:35:03 9,628 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    @King_Edward I like how you conveniently cut the part that details how it would lead to piracy, as all hackers have to do is meld the code base. Nice.

Put simply: if you have both systems, then all someone has to do is remove the bit of code that identifies whether a game is installed from disc or downloaded, thus removing both the need for a 24-hour check-in and a disc in the tray. As you can't have a disc in the tray for a download, the obvious answer is to require the check-in. With that gone, we go back to the current, dev-unfriendly, store-driven method where buying a used game funds only the store you bought it at.
    I cut the bit where you suggested it was a good idea to withhold features from paying customers because of what hackers might do.
    Ask Sony if that's a consideration. Ask Sega. When you're a business, and especially one that relies on selling games to make money, the last thing you want is piracy to be easy.
  • sanctusmortis 22 Jun 2013 10:36:45 9,628 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Newer but not great... A 5670.

It's always worked perfectly until recently though. Tried drivers and nothing so far!
    It's weird because SR3 doesn't stutter on my 5570...
  • Cosquae 22 Jun 2013 11:11:36 1,216 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sounds a bit like a corrupted memory module on the card itself.

Everytime the GPU tries to store or retrieve info from that one particular module then it either fails or comes back corrupted causing the stutter.

If it suddenly started happening, was working fine before, and didn't happen just after you installed/updated something, then may well be a hardware fault.

No driver upgrade will fix that. May well need a new card, though can take the card out and take it to either a spare PC or a local PC repair shop and have them test it for you. If it stutters with them, then it's bust.
  • mikew1985 22 Jun 2013 12:41:09 12,655 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To bring the conversation back to the consoles, pre ordered both this morning.

Looking forward more top the Xbox at this moment in time. Mainly looking forward to the new interface design and potential capabilities. Unless Sony have improved that side of their game enormously I expect the day in day out usage to be much better on the Xbox.

Excited for both though. I love new shiny boxes! (Oh Matron etc.)

Edited by mikew1985 at 12:41:52 22-06-2013
  • DodgyPast 22 Jun 2013 13:33:43 8,448 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cosquae wrote:
    Sounds a bit like a corrupted memory module on the card itself.

Everytime the GPU tries to store or retrieve info from that one particular module then it either fails or comes back corrupted causing the stutter.

If it suddenly started happening, was working fine before, and didn't happen just after you installed/updated something, then may well be a hardware fault.

No driver upgrade will fix that. May well need a new card, though can take the card out and take it to either a spare PC or a local PC repair shop and have them test it for you. If it stutters with them, then it's bust.
    I gave up on ATi recently... The price / performance just isn't worth the grief of wondering if your issues are because of their hardware / drivers.
  • RobTheBuilder 22 Jun 2013 13:38:02 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @PenguinJim I certainly would think very carefully before buying an AMD graphics card again. Seems like a really common issue across the range.
    It also means that I'll be looking at consoles instead of my PC for gaming this year.
  • Corvo-Attano-77 23 Jun 2013 18:47:28 29 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @DodgyPast
    It's not always rosy in nvidia land where drivers are concerned. Both companies have good and bad periods, and good and bad individual games.
  • andijames 24 Jun 2013 10:18:14 2,712 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Before the last generation i never had to worry about installs for console games compared to PCs. I wonder if they'll go the whole hog this generation and start making you install driver updates :/

vivir el momento

• Cosquae 24 Jun 2013 10:20:41 1,216 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @andijames What do you think firmware updates are?
  • andijames 24 Jun 2013 10:23:44 2,712 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Cosquae

They're firmware updates.. they update the firmware? Improve security, add features, update the system etc etc.

Not just driver updates that improve graphical performance.

Edited by andijames at 10:23:59 24-06-2013

vivir el momento

• RobTheBuilder 24 Jun 2013 10:24:26 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @andijames tbh, as long as my game disc can travel I don't mind installs too much. If it cuts down on the huge loading times of some games then all good.
  • graysonavich 24 Jun 2013 10:25:52 7,320 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Driver updates? How 2006
  • andijames 24 Jun 2013 10:28:02 2,712 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RobTheBuilder

I don't mind game installs either to be honest as long as their as unobtrusive as possible. Some of them are terrible though (GT5, Capcom games) but if they're pretty transparent and fluid (and improve loading times like you say) then there's no problem :)

vivir el momento

• Page

of 402 First / Last