Next generation of consoles come in Page 4

• Page

of 402 First / Last

• Deleted user 24 November 2011 12:00:35
    Well this thread took a turn for the fag arsed.
  • cianchristopher 24 Nov 2011 12:03:43 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    More Call of Duty. More FIFA. More More More.
  • Ultrasoundwave 24 Nov 2011 15:48:42 3,270 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I really hope bzzct doesnt see the article EG just put up - no doubt hes already contacted them, asking them to change 'rumour' to 'speculation'.

In regards to the article, it would seem Microsoft shall be pushing Kinect even more with the next gen :|

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• PenguinJim 24 Nov 2011 16:00:06 5,762 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Im out.
    Looks like this was only speculation. :(
  • Ultrasoundwave 24 Nov 2011 16:34:03 3,270 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    PenguinJim wrote:
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Im out.
    Looks like this was only speculation. :(
    Silly billy! :lol:

Ill always be a member of EG so i can read your bright, happy posts day in and day out

• bzzct 24 Nov 2011 17:56:56 1,725 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That would be an interesting, and entirely plausible direction to take. Basically spreading out into a range of gaming offerings, but all under the Xbox brand.

(P.S. @Usw - Another swing and a miss on the rumour/speculation divide... The content of that article almost exactly fits the definition I gave of "rumour". See how yours doesn't?)
  • Machetazo 27 Jan 2012 22:47:01 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Microsoft's tiered systems and mistaken attempt to offer mix-and-match hardware packages (because that turned out to be a wonderful success for the way HD-DVD support functioned) has turned out to severely mar this console generation.
    It's led to a continuing culture of adding in. It's caused difficulties for developers, and in some cases people to find non-optimised titles that harm their experience of things they were looking forward to.

It caused additional services on gaming platforms. On platforms initially intended to enjoy games and other media, it added further options, that were an awkward fit with the intended, core purpose and caused the need for firmware updating, and entire redesigns of the "GUI" used to access the machine.

I think that a huge improvement, and what I will be looking for from manufacturers new machines is pare all the accumulated piecemeal changes, the different revisions right back.

Consider the console as a device primarily intended to play games. Make that process as smooth and swift as possible. Allow a situation where, if the user wants, they can put a disc in the machine, and they can play their game right away. Each owner could have their own authenticator if necessary, to enable the process to be as straightforward as possible.

Build all the extra functionalities as a seperate Lifestyle suite. That is where you would find all the logins, the majority of the connected options. Game content, DLC and so on is all found and bought within the construct of the associated games.
    If the approach of this generation, to tweak and prod, to avoid starting over; if that worked it would be one thing. But, it's being clearly shown near-weekly not to work for almost anybody involved in, or who enjoys gaming.

Next Generation, I'm going to be looking for change.
  • Dirtbox 27 Jan 2012 22:54:15 77,480 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did you forget that Sony voluntarily did exactly the same thing with the tiered hardware?

Edited by Dirtbox at 22:55:17 27-01-2012

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 27 January 2012 23:02:02
    Console manufacturers are not interested in 'just' selling games anymore. They've found that additional services helps to sell the machines and it's an additional revenue source for them.

Why anyone thinks removing functionality that doesn't impede or impact the games in anyway whatsoever would improve anything makes no sense.
  • Machetazo 27 Jan 2012 23:07:50 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Did you forget that Sony voluntarily did exactly the same thing with the tiered hardware?
    Not at all. But, Microsoft were undeniably the first to introduce that practice and the industry became accustomed and adapted to their way of proceeding.
    Then, Sony did a similar thing, following suit - except for the difference that all the machines from Sony initially were functionally the same.

In time they reacted themselves to what their own findings and research data/feedback was telling them, but initially that was true.
  • Machetazo 27 Jan 2012 23:13:16 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Console manufacturers are not interested in 'just' selling games anymore. They've found that additional services helps to sell the machines and it's an additional revenue source for them.

Why anyone thinks removing functionality that doesn't impede or impact the games in anyway whatsoever would improve anything makes no sense.
    I didn't mention removing anything, though. What I said that I wanted to see was the media playing part of the machine with its own interface and as its own thing, and then a seperate area for additional functionality. Hopefully, this would enable technical/code improvements to one side to be made independently, and without reliance on, the state of the other suite.
  • Mr-Brett 27 Jan 2012 23:25:26 12,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Was it not a bit different though? since the low-end model of PS3 still had a HDD, which isn't quite as bad as using memory cards on the core/arcade 360 and the legacy issues with having to make games that people can play without a HDD.

Portable view - Never forget.

• ejayem 27 Jan 2012 23:27:43 31 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I will hold fire upon passing cynical judgement until we have more technical details. The current generation of gaming in my opinion has been a disappointment. Although FPS nuts and Western publishers are having a blast, the market on the software development side has become a tad saturated - lacking largely in innovation usually enriched by IPs.

Essentially, like any gen (and not just gaming), hardware is only as good as the software working alongside it. Undoubtedly a good base to work with attracts developers and publishers alike, so before I state any more cliches, I'll stop posting in this thread until more news is released :-P
  • mal 28 Jan 2012 00:12:55 22,341 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Which legacy issues are those - the ones that cause consoles to spend half an hour installing piece of shit games? I'll take legacy issues please.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• PenguinJim 28 Jan 2012 09:28:40 5,762 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Machetazo wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Not at all. But, Microsoft were undeniably the first to introduce that practice and the industry became accustomed and adapted to their way of proceeding.
    I deny it.

PS2 = optional HDD. Xbox = mandatory HDD.
  • Machetazo 28 Jan 2012 12:02:50 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There was a hard drive peripheral for PS2, but it was not a part of the system that a developer could remotely rely on being present (released to quote Sony as "a limited run" even in Japan, although it was made available in America too.) Leaving it not sensible to design with in mind, neither did its influence set the pace and style of development at the time.
  • Ultrasoundwave 3 Jul 2012 15:22:28 3,270 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So the Cloud-based PS4 are on the way then :rolleyes:

Seriously getting bored of the rumours and speculation now, cant someone just announce a new console and get it over with for fucks sake! :eek:

• dominalien 3 Jul 2012 16:14:49 6,839 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One thing is for sure: exciting times are coming :-)

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 28 July 2012 11:36:42
    Was thinking about next gen this morning, after having just purchased The Walking Dead game, what would happen with these purchases when the next gen does comes along.

Anyone any thoughts?
  • Fake_Blood 28 Jul 2012 12:02:24 4,085 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They'll probably tell you to go fuck yourself.
    But then again, you won't care about TWD in two years.
  • Deleted user 28 July 2012 14:09:17
    I wasn't thinking necessarily just that game, and I don't buy particularly large amount of arcade games, but do people think these downloads will be playable on the future console?
  • PenguinJim 28 Jul 2012 15:07:45 5,762 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe, but I'm certainly not stupid enough to buy them now with the expectation that they'll work on a different console than the one they're actually for.
  • oceanmotion 28 Jul 2012 15:09:21 15,671 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't see why not. More so for MS as that is their territory and they likely planned ahead along with development tools making things more straight forward. Sony with Cell and lack of good tools leading to a more free approach will probably be a headache if the new hardware is different.

Can't say I'm that bothered about BC. I think I'll miss old stuff but easily forgotten when new stuff comes around.

I'm not fond of most DLC this gen, it's worthless in no time at all, like a quick rent. Imagine those map packs, items, avatars, themes you've bought, even if they do carry over, such a waste of money looking back, not because it's gaming though, just that take you for every penny attitude the industry has. They could do a lot better supporting games and communities longer instead of looking for 70 each year for the full experience that dies soon after.
  • Ultrasoundwave 7 Aug 2012 15:20:16 3,270 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    "The New Xbox" has been mentioned for the first time by Microsoft.

Close to an announcement we may be.......

• mal 7 Aug 2012 18:07:13 22,341 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh goody, more speculation about a hint about an annoucement of some event where something may be announced.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Ultrasoundwave 24 Oct 2012 10:00:50 3,270 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Slightly old news but could be significant if true - this could be Sonys turn to get a head-start.

• Psychotext 24 Oct 2012 10:06:43 53,855 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Given we're a year away (and 9 months away from mass manufacturing) it seems a little stupid to be looking at yields at this point.
  • Page

of 402 First / Last