Next generation of consoles come in Page 28

• Page

of 398 First / Last

• ResidentKnievel 22 Jan 2013 11:08:18 5,877 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PS4 will have cross game chat judging by how much RAM they're reserving, probably be used for lots of other stuff, too, as it's 10 times the amount the RAM they're currently using for OS functions in the PS3, but hell if I know what this other stuff will be.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Cosquae 22 Jan 2013 11:09:36 1,090 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @andytheadequate No, can chat to as many people as you like. Had 6 at once whilst playing DayZ a while back.
  • Deckard1 22 Jan 2013 11:09:38 25,414 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    57p a week is a fucking disgrace to be honest.

Called it

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 11:09:56
    andytheadequate wrote:
    but isn't it only possible to chat to 1 person on it?
    0_o
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Jan 2013 11:10:17 8,748 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Any attempt to pretend that PS+ isn't better value that XBL Gold is ridiculous fanboyism, you may prefer many things such as Voice Chat and the interface but being able to play a shitload of good games and receiving hefty discounts wins every time.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Blerk Moderator 22 Jan 2013 11:10:42 48,224 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    So if you joined xbl in 2005, by now you've paid about the price of a console for it.
    Just something to think about.
    Yeah, it's pretty cheap all things considered isn't it.
    Is that a joke?

250-ish over seven years is 'pretty cheap'...?
    A mighty ten pee a day!

Although I wouldn't ever defend the Gold cost considering they wrap too much shit up into it, you can hardly say it's unaffordable. It's more of an irritation than anything else.

So how do we feel about contract consoles, like with mobile phones? If Microsoft will give a 720 for 99 providing we promise to sub to Live for 2 years, say?
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 11:11:28
    But apparently being able to talk to other internet nerds is what it's all about!
  • Deckard1 22 Jan 2013 11:13:42 25,414 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Everytime ecosse calls someone a fanboy a peado eats a baby.

Called it

• andytheadequate 22 Jan 2013 11:14:29 7,957 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Indeed, the games I've enjoyed this gen have generally been multiplatform (with a few exceptions), and a lot of them have been multiplayer. I just can't imagine i would have played bc2 or blur anywhere near as much as I did without being able to chat with friends.

But I predominantly play multi player games. If you don't play them very much PSN is far better value.

And as you say, I expect Sony will include these in their next console
  • Whizzo 22 Jan 2013 11:14:30 42,760 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    So if you joined xbl in 2005, by now you've paid about the price of a console for it.
    I joined Xbox Live in 2003, I could have bought a Ferrari instead. :-(

This space left intentionally blank.

• CharlieStCloud 22 Jan 2013 11:15:02 4,682 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    So how do we feel about contract consoles, like with mobile phones? If Microsoft will give a 720 for 99 providing we promise to sub to Live for 2 years, say?
    If the console is 99 and you only had to pay 40 a year (for two years) then that's cheaper than the basic pack Wii U...!

I doubt anyone would say 'no' to that.
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 11:16:17
    Can't stand chatting to people on Live, even my friends. Feel like a fucking idiot doing it but I guess it is ok if you live alone. These super amazing features aren't for me. That doesn't mean they can't be fine for you. But there is absolutely no way they are worth a 30 premium. You have to be a fucking idiot to say they are worth it (not an idiot to sub, just don't kid yourself as to value). Now that Plus actually offers something of value it only serves to bury Live deeper.
  • Fake_Blood 22 Jan 2013 11:16:41 3,834 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Live is simply microsoft tax imo. And what do you get exactly? The honor of being insulted by a 13yo kid from america?
  • oceanmotion 22 Jan 2013 11:16:41 15,243 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does anyone think Xbox Live Gold is more of a hindrance than anything else now ?

They offer all these online games and streaming services but you need to pay another fee to access them. Surely that ruins the number of eyeballs products and services see. I would be rather annoyed as a content supplier.

I imagine the number of folk who would buy an Xbox if it didn't have a paywall for online and streaming services would be rather large.

They obviously love the Gold revenue but I think it will always hold them back.

I think they have to cave on online play and streaming services. While they could continue to have them behind a pay wall, there is too much competition which is basically, Microsoft are the only ones that charge.

Sony needs to stick the boot in when the PS4 launches with improved online. An extra 40+(Cheaper I know, but keep it official) is enough to turn s consumers head. Make sure they know about it.
  • LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 11:17:14 41,866 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Yeah, it's pretty cheap all things considered isn't it.
    Is that a joke?

250-ish over seven years is 'pretty cheap'...?
    In 7 years you will have spent:

54,600 on rent (150 a week)

12,740 on food (5 a day)

2,520 on your mobile (30 a month)

Yeah, I'd say it was pretty cheap.

And mowgli, if you only want to talk to people you are actively, at that moment playing with, then I assume you've never been dropped from a game, never tried to organise a game over live, and never just chatted to someone while doing separate things.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• mcmonkeyplc 22 Jan 2013 11:17:27 38,899 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's probably be more like 150 upfront, you get 6 months free and 2 years commitment.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• andytheadequate 22 Jan 2013 11:18:27 7,957 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    But apparently being able to talk to other internet nerds is what it's all about!
    You can only talk to internet nerds on ps3. On Xbox you can talk to your friends (well, up to 8).

eccosse- I've had much better value from a good online service rather than a few older games I wouldn't play very much. I've played battlefield games for over 500 hours this gen, as well as cod, minecraft, blur etc for countless for hours. I wouldn't have played any of these anywhere near as much if I couldn't talk to my friends playing these at the same time.
  • ResidentKnievel 22 Jan 2013 11:18:46 5,877 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They're both awful services and Steam wipes the floor with them.

Be interesting to see how the Steambox shapes up against the next gen machines.

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 11:19:09
    You only have 1 mobile every 7 years? Man you look after stuff well.
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 11:19:58
    andytheadequate wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    You can only talk to internet nerds on ps3. On Xbox you can talk to your friends (well, up to 8).
    I know I do own the things.
  • ResidentKnievel 22 Jan 2013 11:20:16 5,877 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    He only has one food as well

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 11:20:57
    No mortgage though, throwing money away!
  • LeoliansBro 22 Jan 2013 11:21:07 41,866 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't tend to pay for my upgrade, just get a new contract with a free handset.

I would have included the cost of a gym membership as well but then I remembered I'm arguing with people over which online offering is the strongest in the console market :)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• andytheadequate 22 Jan 2013 11:22:36 7,957 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Can't stand chatting to people on Live, even my friends. Feel like a fucking idiot doing it but I guess it is ok if you live alone. These super amazing features aren't for me. That doesn't mean they can't be fine for you. But there is absolutely no way they are worth a 30 premium. You have to be a fucking idiot to say they are worth it (not an idiot to sub, just don't kid yourself as to value). Now that Plus actually offers something of value it only serves to bury Live deeper.
    It is far too expensive, you're right. But I still prefer a decent online system to any of the games offered on ps+. And just because you don't like talking to friends online doesn't mean it isn't for everyone. Plus is better for single player gamers, Xbox live better for multiplayer. It really is that simple. No-one needs to be a 'fucking idiot'
  • CharlieStCloud 22 Jan 2013 11:24:04 4,682 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    In 7 years you will have spent:

54,600 on rent (150 a week)

12,740 on food (5 a day)

2,520 on your mobile (30 a month)

Yeah, I'd say it was pretty cheap.
    Fair enough ... although I was kind of comparing the Gold Membership fees to, you know, other game consoles as oppose to the important real life stuff!

Go with giffgaff in the future though because 30 or more is silly money to be paying monthly for your mobile phone.
  • andytheadequate 22 Jan 2013 11:24:06 7,957 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cosquae wrote:
    @andytheadequate No, can chat to as many people as you like. Had 6 at once whilst playing DayZ a while back.
    Ah, never really used it but that is good news (on the pc anyway). Always found voice chat to be a bit annoying on pc but that should solve it
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 11:24:47
    Press T next time.
  • Blerk Moderator 22 Jan 2013 11:26:49 48,224 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some of that Live money does go into providing a better infrastructure that benefits all players as well, of course. Microsoft downloads are fast and hassle-free, whereas even the smallest file from PSN makes me spit bullets.

But PS+ is showing Live up to be a bit of a dinosaur, MS absolutely need to revise what you get for your money if they want people to carry on paying for it next-gen. "Behind the scenes" stuff doesn't make a compelling sales argument, people like concrete things they can label.

It'll be interesting to see how long Sony can keep the PS+ thing up, though. It must cost them a shitload of money.
  • andytheadequate 22 Jan 2013 11:27:37 7,957 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    I know I do own the things.
    Then you're comment made no sense. Do you invite internet nerds to your party on Xbox live? If so then you're doing it wrong...

Unless you mean you're friends are all internet nerds? To be fair, as we're on a gaming forum, I don't think we can really moan about that :)
  • AcidSnake 22 Jan 2013 11:28:38 7,145 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just to clarify though, 250 in 7 years isn't correct...Most of us find offers to bring that price down...Plus you get 1 month free when you make your account and 3 for buying a new xbox...
    This year cost me 39.99 dollars which is about 25 pounds...

Last year I jumped onto the 1 month for 1$ (pound or euro depending on your settings) offer that they hadn't capped, so I had managed to snag 16 months for 16$...

In the 4 odd years I've been on Live I've spent about 90 pounds tops...

I'd still prefer a lower price (zero would be best) but it's not that much of a hit on my wallet...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Page

of 398 First / Last